gkirk

Uefa Champions League Draw

Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:33 pm

Well, the draw is about to commence and its live on Sky Sports News. 5 British sides are in the draw: Rangers,Celtic,Arsenal,Chelsea and Man Utd.
The first time ever both Rangers and Celtic are in the same draw. There is the potential of Scotland Vs England clashes....let the draw begin!  Big thumbs up
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

teva

RE: Uefa Champions League Draw

Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:06 pm

Warning....
Marseille is back....
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

David_itl

Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:20 pm

Man Utd, Panathanaikos and some c**p team called Rangers in Group E.

Celtic with Bayern Munich and Lyon in group A

More to follow!

Daivd

Arsenal@LHR

Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:20 pm

Man Utd vs Rangers!

Delicious.
In Arsene we trust!!

David_itl

Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:24 pm

The BBC's page for the draw.

Arsenal v Inter Milan!

Bloodbath: Olympiakos v Galatasary

David

gkirk

Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:27 pm

Group A:
Bayern Munich
Lyon
Celtic
Anderlecht

Group B:
Arsenal
Inter Milan
Dynamo Kiev
Lokomotiv Moscow

Group C:
Deportivo La Coruna
PSV Eindhoven
AEK Athens
AS Monaco

Group D:
Juventus
Galatasary
Olympiakos
Real Sociedad

Group E:
Man Utd
Panathanikos
Rangers
VFB Stuttgart

Group F:
Real Madrid
FC Porto
Marseille
Partizan Belgrade

Group G:
Lazio
Chelsea
Sparta Prague
Besiktas

Group H:
AC Milan
Celta Vigo
Ajax
Club Brugge

Rangers Vs Man Utd ----Battle of Britain  Wow!

Arsenal@LHR

Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:29 pm

The highlight of the first group stages are:

Man Utd vs Rangers (licking my lips for a British showdown)
Arsenal vs Inter Milan - A toughie there
Celtic vs Bayern Munich
Chelski vs Lazio
In Arsene we trust!!

EGGD

Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:31 pm

To be honest, I think Man Utd have the easiest group of the lot. As long as Djemba Djemba and that other useless guy don't play  Laugh out loud. I think Rangers have really got to look out for Panathanikos who can be a bit tasty...

zizou

Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:51 pm

EGGD, you are right. Man Utd have got an easy group and Chelsea do as well (they only need to worry about Lazio).

While on the other hand, Arsenal have to make two trips to Eastern Europe to face the racist taunts in Moscow and the freezing temps in Kiev. Then worst of all we have to go to Milan to the San Siro.

Out of all the British teams, Celtic have got the worst group. I have my real doubts as to whether they can get through, my money is on Bayern and Lyon getting through.

Also Group F looks interesting. Real should finish on top, but the battle for 2nd place will be interesting. I think Marseille can pip Porto for that second spot.

EGGD

Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:53 pm

I can see Celtic getting through their group, but I agree it'll be a real test for Arsenal to get through their group, some very tough away matches coming up...

Which is where you need a good home record, but Arsenal don't really have that in Europe so they are going to struggle, IMO.

gkirk

Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:04 am

I think all the British clubs have a good chance of getting through. I cant see Celtic or Rangers losing any of their home matches.
The easiest group probably belongs to Real Madrid.

Andreas

Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:04 am

Good Lord, my team VfB Stuttgart got ManU in the first round, shit!!! Well anyway, should make for a few good games and a lot of money for the South German Boygroup...not bad!
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

bmi330

Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:28 am

I cant wait to see my beloved Rangers kick Man City's nabour asses. The ponsey we numptes they are we will show them what passion and desire are all about they wont no what hit them I will do anything for tickets for the away games. Moan The Gers. Give me a hell yeah if you hate man utd.

Rangers are going to the thats 16.

Banco

Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:32 am

I'm a City fan, bmi330 - what do you think?  Big grin Big grin

Any volunteers to whack Dennis Bergkamp on the head a few times so he can travel to those Arsenal away games? Big grin
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

bmi330

Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:01 am

Just back from Ibrox getting my champions leuge badges fitted 2 my red n white striped away top. I am so pumped up for this my part time jobs gonna be punted out so I can go the games midweek.

EGGD

Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:07 am

I would laugh alot if Man Utd kicked Rangers ass, though  Laugh out loud.

Banco

Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:16 am

From the rational perspective though, I would have thought Rangers would be fairly pleased that the top seed in their group (i.e. Man Utd) is an English club. I'm sure they will feel a great deal more comfortable playing them than they would a Real Madrid or Juventus. That's not because United aren't as good, but because they play in a "British" style, and one that I'm sure Rangers will fancy their chances against rather more than a continental one. After all, the England/Scotland matches rarely produce a thumping either way.

gkirk

Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:26 am

EGGD, Celtic are worse than Rangers so that aint gonna happen  Smile
---------------------------------------
I call you when I need you, my heart's on fire
You come to me, come to me wild and wild
When you come to me
Give me everything I need
Give me a lifetime promises and a world of dreams
Speak a language of love like you know what it means
And it can't be wrong
Take my heart and make it strong baby

You're simply the best, better than all the rest
Better than anyone, anyone I've ever met
I'm stuck on your heart, and hang on every word you say
Tear us apart, baby I would rather be dead

In your heart I see the star of every night and every day
In your eyes I get lost, I get washed away
Just as long as I'm here in your arms
I could be in no better place

You're simply the best, better than all the rest
Better than anyone, anyone I've ever met
I'm stuck on your heart, and hang on every word you say
Tear us apart, baby I would rather be dead

Each time you leave me I start losing control
You're walking away with my heart and my soul
I can feel you even when I'm alone
Oh baby, don't let go

EGFF

Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:40 am

It's so predictable and you can guarentee it EVERY year that Man Utd will get the easiest group ... im starting to think it's a fix  Big grin
Regards,
Shaun  Big thumbs up
All together or not at all

artsyman

Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:20 am

Personally, I think Man U will give Rangers a gubbing, I think the gulf between the two is enormous, however anythings possible

bmi330

Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:10 am

EGGD Well I would laugh so hard and so much when we give use a footballing lesson its gonna hurt so much. Rangers don t get gubbed by anyone ever with out getting suitable revenge don't worry we will give that bunch of ass clowns a good game no matter what team we field and wipe the smug look of man up u's fans faces. Rangers don't do disgracing our selfs its not the Rangers way thats the English way.

ryanb741

Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:31 pm

Man Utd are a far superior team than Rangers, but that means bugger all in an England/Scotland game which is all about passion and commitment, plus a lot of pride. Just think how the supposedly 'superior' Liverpool were turned over by Celtic who had far more pride and a desire to win than Liverpool. The bad news for Rangers though is that Man Utd always play with great desire, and I reckon Man Utd will win those games but it will be close and very feisty. Man Utd have a psychopathic midfield, filled with people who should be an an institute for the criminally insane, and you can bet Rangers will be the same. I reckon one or two red cards will be given!
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

artsyman

Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:46 pm

It also looks like Rangers will be without the "wee ned" Ferguson as Rangers have just agreed a fee with Blackburn for him.

gkirk

Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:33 pm

Who wants to bet that Roy Keane will get sent off at Ibrox?  Smile Irish prick that he is.

bmi330

Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:50 pm

Rangers have/are about to sign Emerson and maybe John crew. Things are looking up Glasgow is most definitely the heart and sole of the football world Champions league mania is everywhere. We will be get through and beat man utd anyone score me tickets for the away game ?

EGGD

Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:56 pm

I can bet that Rangers have much more passion than Manchester United, lol.

CHRISBA777ER

Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:13 am

Bmi330 - not wishing to jump on any kind of bandwago, but i feel here would be the appropriate forum and time to say...

Blues Brothers! I was hopeing we'd get you guys in the draw - i really fancy a trip up to Glasgow have a few beers with our Blue Brothers. Come on you Chelsea!

I hate Celtic (and Rentamouth O'Neill) nearly as much as you do. I really hope they get a kicking off Bayern Munich (who i fancy to win it). Pana and Stuttgart are not really all that, so you will need to make sure you beat them home and away, and you'll be fine.

As for me...

I booked my ticket today.

My first ride on a A321. LHR-ROME 3rd Nov 03 coming back A320 06th Nov 03. Never flown with AZ before - hope its good. I'll be too pissed anyway!

Team V Blackburn tomorrow:
CUDICINI
JOHNSON, TERRY, GALLAS, BRIDGE
MUTU, VERON, LAMPARD, PETIT, DUFF
CRESPO.

Not sure if Makelele is going to sign in time to make his debut.

Rgds,

CM

What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

zizou

Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:34 am

CHRISBA777ER, Lazio Ultras are a racist bunch. Hope you don't go sitting with them  Smile, seeing that Chelsea has 6 players in which they will pick on (Desially Gallas, Melchiot, Johnson, Geremi, Hasseilbaink). Will you go to Turkey or Cezch Rep?

When will you guys stop spending Duff, Veron, Crespo and now Mackelle, when will it ever end!!! Good to see Gallas get a run against Blackburn, he has become a bit of a forgotten figure among all these transfers. Is Geremi suspended?, hence why Petit is playing?

bmi330

Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:44 am

CHRISBA777ER maybe get use in the knockout stage with some luck fansay a trip to the bridge. Man u have passion dont make me laugh. Rangers support base is Glasgow, west of scotland, Northern ireland and ex pats man u fan base is far east n were ever 95% of man u's fans have there been old traford fact have you EGGD ? I have and I dont even like them.

CHRISBA777ER

Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:20 am

Ive been to Old Trafford - twice. Both times came away with three points...

Lazio Ultras? Cant possibly be worse than these lot that ive had "close" encounters with in the past..

Gala - went to "hell" got into a scrap, kicked the living shyte out of the ringleader of twelve turks that started on me and my Dad - the rest of the group never moved to intervene luckily or my ass would got a kicking. Then we won 5-0. hehehehehe.....

AC Milan - They spat on us - i had to throw my leather jacket in the hotel bin it was disgusting - literally covered in gob. Animals. Didnt stop us singing though.

Stoke - Bad bad people - very scared. Went to the Brittania and they were waiting for us - i didnt get a kicking but a mate of mine got glassed - they threw a pint glass inside the ground.

Leeds - Animals. Pure filth. They are not there to watch football, and last time i went (we won 2-0 in the cup) and they were all stood outside waiting to rush the police line - i wanted to bolt for the train station, bu i was with the Blue travelling support, and you dont EVER run. So we didnt. I got into a fight and had a full on punch up with this one leeds yob - the old bill just stood there and laughed at us. They were starting it all, and being mouthy and throwing stuff, then when we ignored them they charged us. I was sat on the train back to London with my nose pissing with blood and not able to see out of my left eye - broken rib too. The Leeds yob i smacked a couple of times, and think i got the best of it, but one of his mates joined in and held me from behind. Scum.

Plymouth Argyle - went to see Argyle v Torquay when i was at uni down there. I was stood in the home end but wasnt wearing green (im a blue - you just dont) and i didnt go as mental as everyone else in the Devonport end when they scored, so they kicked the living shit out of me. As you do. BTW = Derriford hospital is a really unpleasant place to go.

Villa - just beat villa one nil (Di Matteo again!) in the FA Cup final, and were walking through Traf Square on way down to Kings Road, and me, my Dad, and my Uncle Pete got jumped by two villa fans from behind - never seen them or said a word or anything. Anyway one of them has a crack at Pete, and the other (who was not all that) put my dad on his arse. I smacked the geezer harder than ive ever hit anyone before - there was 15.5 stone and a full contact in the punch caught him full on the cheek. He never even blinked. Not so much as a stagger. I was like "i got nothing else!" and hit him again, nearly as hard. Still nothing - the geezer must have been a boxer or somethign becasue i really, really caught him - the kind of punch i've put people down with before - unbelieveable. Anyway my Dad got up and the villa boys ran off before the old bill came steaming up and very nearly did us for breach of the peace.

Not wishing to appear macho, and i must say at this point im not condoning football violence, (ive never started or caused a ruck in my life) and i do think that people who do it are scum, but you have to ackowledge that if you go to away games, you stand a chance of it happening - ive been going to away games for a while and you sort of expect it.

Im not intimidated by going away - i enjoy it becasue you get the kind of proper dedicated Chelsea fans who are as passionate and blue blooded as you are on those trips. Im not at all worried about going to Rome. Cant possibly be worse than Leeds! When i was in Milan the local plod were out with batons and riot gear expecting us to kick off - we didnt and they spent the whole time getting gobbed on by Milan fans.

Oh well.

Anyone else been in fights at footie games?

Rgds,

CM
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

EGGD

Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:33 am

a)I don't support Manchester United

b)I used to live 2 miles from Old Trafford, i've been way over 30 times to see league games.

ryanb741

Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:34 am

Leeds fans are scum - this might sound out of order but lets just say I wasn't particularly upset when a couple of their fans copped it against Galatasaray - I wish it had been more of them. C*nts. Worst fans ever though are Cardiff - I drove there to see them against Bournemouth a couple of years ago and just when we were driving through a crowd of them getting the car jolted and gobbed on the engine copped out. I was like 'oh f*ck, please don't quit on me now' but then the police came and that was a close escape!

No offence either but Chelsea fans are a bit notorious. My dad was at the Champions League game in midweek and was astonished by the appalling language, it was 'you c*nt' this and 'you f*cking paki f*ck' that.

Funniest thing ever was 2 years ago I went to Stamford Bridge to see Saints play them and I got tickets in the Matthew Harding stand with the Chelsea fans. I didn't see it as being a problem because I couldn't see Saints winning but when we went 1-0 up I screamed really loudly and got a few comments. We then went 2-1 down and the comments turned to jeers. Fair enough. But then we scored 3 times to go 4-2 up and I was cheering the Saints every time and the atmosphere got a little, shall we say, 'hostile' Big grin So I thought it best to leave at that point, so I got up and as I was making my way out all the Southampton fans in the away end started jeering and singing 'you only sing when you're winning' and I was like' I'm one of you!!!'. So basically I had both sets of fans on my case! Big grin Class!

Arsenal fans are a bit quiet but they've got some 'funny' songs - one I heard a few games back at Arsenal-Sunderland was;

'Who's that dying on the runway
Who's that lying in the snow
It's Matt Busby and his boys
And they're making lots of noise
Cause they can't get their plane to go'

Another good 'un was

'Away in a manger
No crib for a bed
The little Lord Jesus
Woke up and he said;
We all hate Tottenham, We all hate Tottenham, We are the Tottenham haters'

I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

ryanb741

Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:41 am

Oh, also I have been bet £100 that I won't wear a Chelsea shirt at a QPR home game. I'll be doing exactly that at their first home game in September! They should make a video of my life - it'll put Jackass to shame! Big grin

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:52 am

Nah, we gooners don't fight against rival supporters, our players, Vieira, Campbell, Cole and Jeffers do that on the pitch for us.  Big grin
In Arsene we trust!!

Banco

Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:13 am

I've no intention of judging you Ryan, but the "Munich" songs have gone on at Maine Road (and will probably continue at the new place) for years, with a small but vocal minority continually singing them, much to the disgust of the majority. City's various fan clubs have made constant efforts to try to stamp it out, but there are always a few knuckledraggers who insist in carrying on. I feel ashamed every time I hear it. It isn't funny, and those City fans old enough to remember tend to get very, very angry about it.

CHRISBA777ER

Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:31 pm

I first heard the munich song from some Leeds boys. They also sang "Always check on the runway for ice" to the tune of "always look on the bright side of life" - scum.

I love winding up other teams fans and as a chelsea fan we sing a lot, but id never sing that song, and i would have a word with anyone who did near me.

I prefer:

"Shove your bow and arrow up your arse" (to Forest fans)
"Does the social know you are here?" (to Everton fans)
"You only live around the corner" (to Man U fans)
"whats it like to play on grass" (to Tromso fans)
"In your Northern slums..." (Anyone north of Watford Gap)
"Theres only one Arsene Wenger" (Gooners)

And so on...

CM

CHRISBA777ER

Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:44 pm

I agree with you re. the leeds fans Ryan.

It upset me no end when the press was all like "they were just some average hardworking good natured leeds fans enjoying the city, minding their own business etc" , and the widow was all "he was such a kind hearted man" stuff: then you read that the Leeds boys were in the central square and inciting the Gala fans by pissing against the statues, and wiping their arses on the turkish flag - then hurling bottles and such at anyone who came near. What they conveniently fail to mention is the number of Gala fans who got hospitalised - there were many, believe me. Including some people who genuinely were not even there for the football and actually lived there. Im not condoning the stabbing, but there are hardcore criminal elements at every game, and if you fcuk with them like the leeds boys were, then you got to expect to recieve some treatment back. Its a turkish trait - they like to carry little pocket knives and they stab you in the arse, as its a non-lethal wound and hence not so bad if you get caught but very humiliating for the victim. Very common amongst turkish youths, especially football. So the Leeds fans knew this, but were still inciting a riot. Mass fighting. The turkish police were accused of brutality when they baton chaged the leeds boys - good that they did, as the gala fans would have charged them instead, and then you'll see a few more than two folks get killed. And if some foul mouthed 17 year old yob is chucking bottles at you all afternoon, and insulting you very badly at every turn, then you will feel rather inclined to get your baton out. I know i for one dont blame than at all.

Then you have this great outpouring of greif at the tragedy - yes it was a tragedy. But it was the Leeds fans who made it happen. When i was out there there was only one group of fans that took offense to us. The rest of the time we were completley fine to have a few beers in the Gala bars etc. - they didnt mind us, becasue we appreciated that it was their city and we were guests. Best not to incite 20,000 hot headed fiercely patriotic gala fanatics armed with pocket knives eh?

ryanb741

Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:47 am

Banco - I wasn't condoning those songs just in case you thought so, hence my use of 'funny' in inverted commas to describe them. Just in case you thought I found them amusing.

CHRISBA777ER - I know someone who lived in Istanbul at the time, and he says everything you said. Plus many Leeds fans were groping the Turkish women, never a good thing to do at the best of times and certainly not in a Muslim country.

Ironically, the murderer wasn't even a football fan, just a local who had got enraged by the Leeds fans' disgraceful behaviour. To be honest, if a bunch of foreign fans came to my country, started pissing on my national flag and sh*tting in my country's historical monuments and then got by wife's tits out against her wishes for a 'laugh' I'm pretty damn sure I would have retaliated. Not saying the murders were a good thing, but there was sure as hell a clear motive. In any case, the murders had little to do with football.

Banco

Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:41 pm

Fair enough, Ryan. Just to show the stupidity of those who do sing about the air crash at City, they seem to forget that one of the all-time City (and England) greats, goalkeeper Frank Swift who was working as a journalist, also perished at Munich.

Apparently they neither know nor care.  Sad