cptkrell

MAILER-DAEMON Email

Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:18 pm

Recently I have been receiving MAILER-DAEMON Returned mail:user unknown Emails, without sending any mail. Fearing a virus or some other scam, I delete these without opening. Wondering if anybody else has experienced this. Maybe it's just a glitch in all these electronic web thingies?...Jack
all best; jack

goingboeing

RE: MAILER-DAEMON Email

Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:13 pm

Most likely, someone is using your e-mail address as a "spoof", so that it looks like you have sent the e-mail, then it tries spamming all these invalid addresses and you are the lucky recipient of all the "delivery failure" messages. It happened to me and for about a month, I got on average about 200 "delivery failure" messages per day. My ISP could care less, so I was tempted to just let them fill up my mailbox (I quit using the ISP required e-mail account anyway), but then I figured they'd punish me, so I dutifully checked the e-mail and promptly deleted everything.

cptkrell

Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:44 am

Hmmm, I should think that folks would have more valuable stuff to do w/ their time...anyway, thanks for the info, Goeingboeing; I understand it a bit better now...Jack
all best; jack

dc-10 levo

Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:39 am

I got one last week and deleted it. It does contain the virus sobig.f or something like that so delete it if you receive another.

DC-10

Big777jet

Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:57 am

Usually, If I send email to someone and it takes a few minutes later it returns to my email with "Mailer-Daemon Email". It's okay to open email but never open if you don't send email to someone's email. If you were still online for a long time. That's mean you are safe. Never open email if you don't sent email or more than a few hours later. Do not open email.

Big777jet

IMissPiedmont

Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:00 pm

The returned mail does not contain the sobig.f worm, it means the worm has your e-mail address in its file and is sending mail with your address. Just delete all the notices, your e-maill address book and let people know you will be changing your e-mail address.

You'll have no luck with a virus scan as it is not a virus. It has your address and uses it. The only option is to change. Make it over 11 characters and containing numbers and letters. You'll be OK then.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.