rabenschlag

Tabloid Press: To Boob Or Not To Boob

Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:51 pm

for me, it is always fun to read the yellow press in the internet. on my daily list are: thesun.co.uk, bild.de, and usatoday.com.

what i noticed is that the european producs offer boobs'n butts every day, whereas the us product is apparently free of naked women and men.

is there a reason for this? is there a censorship in the US that prohibits the exposition of naked persons in such publications?

in germany, for instance, the exposition of female genitals is censored, as well as the exposition of erect male genitals.

prosa

RE: Tabloid Press: To Boob Or Not To Boob

Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:55 pm

All I can say is that American culture has some strange attitudes when it comes to what's acceptable and what isn't. Nudity is largely taboo, banned completely on television and shown in only limited amounts in movies. But violence is much more accepted, as is sexual innuendo.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

j_hallgren

Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:57 pm

I know there's a HUGE diff between USA and Sweden on what is allowed on display at places like newsstands! What Sweden allows to be avail to anyone, including kids, is what in USA, one would have to go to an adult book store to get! And even more graphic than some of those have on display!

Swedish mags have full insertion "contact"...Commonly avail American mags have only implied or nearby...
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

MxCtrlr

Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:16 pm

It is because the prudish, puritanical thinking in America connects the viewing of sexual representations and rape. Obviously, because of the notorious high rape rates in The Netherlands and Sweden, this is the case  Yeah sure (yeah, RIGHT)! More likely the problem is that those stuffy, prudish, puritanical bitches and bastards can't deal with someone looking better than they could ever dream of!

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

j_hallgren

Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:12 pm

And we (USA) allow youths to see so much violence on TV/Movies/etc but letting them see a naked body or two, oh no!
It's one time that (to me) a variant of the old slogan "Make love, not war" would be appropriate..."Watch love, not hate"
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

GDB

Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:31 am

I must admit that I've never got my head around the US attitudes in this area.
An effect of all those Puritans going to the 'New World' perhaps.

Plenty here don't like the tabloids showing boobs, I think the difference may be that here the protests are small, not well organized and powerful like often happens in the US.

Stretch 8

Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:40 am

"in germany, for instance, the exposition of female genitals is censored, as well as the exposition of erect male genitals."

Great. I love Germany, but the idea of picking up a magazine and seeing a photo of some guy with his floppy penis and testicles hanging out is not my idea of fun!

Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

jaysit

Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:44 am

"Great. I love Germany, but the idea of picking up a magazine and seeing a photo of some guy with his floppy penis and testicles hanging out is not my idea of fun!"

You'd prefer it hard, engorged, and ready to rock, right?
Atheism is Myth Understood.