Matt D
Topic Author

A Nice Dig Against Rap Music

Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:37 am

This would actually be funny if it wasn't so dead-on true.

jcs17

RE: A Nice Dig Against Rap Music

Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:45 am

LOL!  Big thumbs up  Laugh out loud

You cant spell crap without rap!
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Staffan

Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:46 am

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA  Big thumbs up

That one made my day!!

sushka

Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:54 am

Very cool Lol! I almost fell of my chair!  Big thumbs up  Smile
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

artsyman

Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:19 am

I am not sure if you guys know this, but this actually a working program, not just a funny picture

Jeremy

aloges

Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:50 am

LOL!! Matt D started the thread I was thinking about the other day! It just gets soooo annoying when everything you hear on MTV is "shake ya ass", "clap, clap, clap" and "yo". Thank God there's radio21 - they're playing "Fire" by The Who right now.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:37 am

SWEET! I want it! Moddafokka's!  Big thumbs up

srbmod

Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:21 am

A few problems with this program: There's no "Hell Yeah" option (I guess it must be available in the Dr. Dre upgrade patch), and no alcoholic beverage section either.

cancidas

Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:23 am

that's great!! i love it! is it really a program? where can i find it?

[Edited 2003-09-06 21:24:15]
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

learpilot

Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:52 am

Performing 'artist'...  Laugh out loud

The topic is misleading, though. Calling rap "music" is a bit of a streach.  Big grin
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

covert

Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:03 am

Ahem, rap music is more than that dumb little picture. R&B roots go way back beyond many genres of music that you probably listen to.

The music that people are just throwing together today with little varied subject matter hardly qualifies as rap, more as dance or showoff music, not that with the supposedly little talent required to piece such tunes together (as you imply) you could make a hit yourself...

If you knew a little better about genre classification, or possibly what talent is, you would not reduce the name of rap to what you just have.  Pissed
none

Shamrock1Heavy

Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:24 am

Rap for the most part sucks. I happen to own one rap CD amongst my countless Hardcore 7"'s. I own Dr.Dre's "the Chronic" The album is so funny to lsiten to. But yeah, I agree Rap and R&B really do suck. I respect those who PLAY THEIR OWN INSTRUMENTS!

-D
when in hell, we'll do shots at the bar

covert

Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:10 am

I respect those who PLAY THEIR OWN INSTRUMENTS!

Could you make a beat and ride it?

Rap and R&B really do suck

Shows how little you know and how shallow you are.
none

Aloha717200

Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:21 am

I must be shallow as well. I agree. Rap, for the most part, does suck on a wide basis today.

I give exception to a select few artists who really do have talent at it. I respect them for having talent. Rap is not my thing though, I'm not into that kind of music, but I can respect when someone does have talent. It does help if they have a credible life to go along with it though.

But I'll just say that I agree, 96% of rap sucks, and that which doesn't suck, rarely appeals to me anyway. Hope that the fact that I'm not a rap fan doesnt mean that I'm "shallow".

I love the picture. Big grin

[Edited 2003-09-06 23:22:24]

jcs17

Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:21 am

Yeah, if I had computers to make my beats and I could suit my lyrics to the rythym there would be no problem.

Shows how little you know and how shallow you are.

Actually, it shows how shallow you are. You listen to music that glorifies everything from rape to murder to drug use, and the pathetic thing is that the African-American community supports this. I cant figure out for the life of me why people glorify rap. If you genuinely like rap because of the music, congratulations, you have no taste.

KROC

Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:35 am

I have to agree with Covert. All of you people that sit back and say rap music sucks etc are either going by what you hear from the media, or your own personal bias. If you do not like it, hey, to each their own, but that does not mean it sucks. And those that "do not like it", I am willing to bet have never heard real rap music.

There are rappers that play their own instruments. And for those that think that is a 'good' argument, or that they 'steal' beats is a good argument are sadly mistaken. While it may seem 'easy' to program a beat, it isn't. To come up with a beat, that is usually overlayed with other beats as well, mix in samples, voice samples, etc. and have it hit is a tough task. All who say its easy or criticise about the instruments, I'd be willing to bet you couldn't produce a beat to save your life. Also, when it comes to sampling, rap music has given new life to forgotten music, or revived once popular music all over again. I bet those artists collecting large royalties from samples are not crying.

97% of you need to stop being ignorant, because anyone who believes Mr. Reel to Reel's picture is "so true" doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground, much less anything about real rap music. Whether its about the roots of the music, true meanings, and the fact there is a solid music much deeper than the "hoes, bitches, and muthafuckas" you all think you know so much about.

Go ahead and not like rap music, but don't sit there and say it sucks, cause you know nothing about it, or just don't like it.

777236ER

Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:35 am

You listen to music that glorifies everything from rape to murder to drug use, and the pathetic thing is that the African-American community supports this

Speaking for all African Americans? Doesn't that seem a bit stereotypical?

Furthermore, you're implying that the African-American community supports murder and drug use. Jcs17, while I can disagree with your opinions I usually respect you, but isn't that going a bit too far?

I cant figure out for the life of me why people glorify rap

I can't figure out for the life of me why people glorify teeny pop, but it happens.

If you genuinely like rap because of the music, congratulations, you have no taste.

Isn't that subjective?
Your bone's got a little machine

KROC

Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:36 am

Jcs, you just showed how shallow you are. Damn, I'm with 777236ER on his takes for once.

covert

Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:40 am

Jcs17

I could send you a whole rap cd full of songs I made that do not glorify "rape to murder to drug use."

I have heard many kinds of music, and I most certainly can say the only entire category of music I have heard entirely devoid of references to "rape to murder to drug use" is classical, and in those songs I heard nobody talks either.

So Jcs you must only listen to classical music if you use that argument.

Secondly, you mention African Americans. Well I wouldn't bring race into it, but the only rapper I have heard talk about rape in his songs is Eminem, who doesn't look very African American to me.

Anyways, how does it show how shallow I am? What because my horizons aren't broad? Well I know a lot about airplanes...

The only reason I mentioned shallowness is in reference to Shamrock damning the whole genre of rap. I don't know what you like, but I'm pretty sure you would flame the hell out of me if I said whatever your pastime is plain old sucks.

Yeah, if I had computers to make my beats and I could suit my lyrics to the rythym there would be no problem.

Yeah right, but there is more to making something that sounds coherent and would meet Shamrock's requirement of "PLAY THEIR OWN INSTRUMENTS." Not to mention nobody probably would listen to yours.
none

Shamrock1Heavy

Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:36 am

I was once into rap, my brothers are still into it, real underground rap. Like unsigned people, not the bling bling crap.

Covert -
I am in a band, and we make our own music and "ride" it. The reason I think rap sucks is becasue I dont like the style of music. But the content can be pretty cool sometimes. I support anyone who speaks their mind and how ever they may choose to.

Jcs17 -
I don't condone those sort of things, but that is their life they are rapping about. My band are songs about heartbreak and kicking heartbreaks ass. (too hard to expalin) I am singing about my life. They are rapping about their life.

-D

KROC

Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:55 am

S-Heavy. I respect that you do not like rap, but to say it in turn sucks is messed up. If I don't like say your band.....that doesn't mean you guys suck.

When it comes to Jcs on this. Don't waste your time addressing him. It's clear that Jcs' taste in music is gospel. Chances are, he has never had to deal with anything that rap music addresses as well.....which go deeper than than "glorifies everything from rape to murder to drug use".

Shamrock1Heavy

Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:00 am

KROC - sorry about my comment, I shouldnt have said that.

I know it goes a lot deeper than that, I used to listen to it. If he heard my band he would probably think we are satanic just because we play metal/punk. If all rap music glorifies rape and drugs, than all metal music is about satanic sacrifice.

-D

KROC

Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:14 am

Good point Shamrock. All forms of music can be associated to something 'bad'. I used to be a huge headbanger lol, and I still like Metal. I mean going by Jcs' rule, I'd be a Satanic god hating pimp slapping bitches, Fing hoes, rollin' sayin' whuddupmofo!

Staffan

Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:18 am

Rap "music" is really a very good thing, because the rap "artists" who actually survive the weekly drivebys and murder attempts against them can produce this awesome "music" that makes sure that the getto culture stays alive so that new brotha's can grow up to and make sure that the other side of the getto gets cleaned out once in a while from "tha otha gang".

East side foreva, or was it west side??  Insane

KROC

Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:27 am

Thank you Staffan for FURTHERING proving that Ignorance is allive and well in this world, and that people will always choose to speak about things that don't knwo anything about.

[Edited 2003-09-07 02:46:40]

cancidas

Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:31 am

KROC you can't say everyone. i went to a predominantly black/ hispanic high school. i was surrounded by rap in school and even more so at parties i went to. i could never stand the stuff, it just annoys me.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

jcs17

Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:38 am

Jcs, you just showed how shallow you are.

Nice try, slugger.

The bottom line is that rap is does not take very much talent, the lyrics are often crude and shallow. The rythym is not produced by instruments, they are produced by computers. For the same reason, I would say that Electronica and some Techno takes absolutely no talent.

It's clear that Jcs' taste in music is gospel. Chances are, he has never had to deal with anything that rap music addresses as well.

And you would know all about everything rap deals with growing up on the rough streets of Crapchester. I mainly listen to classic and new rock, by the way.

Besides, a lot of rappers dont even come out of the tough life they rap about in their songs. Many of them just come from middle-class households.

I wouldnt exactly say that rock even comes close to glorifying the lifestyle that rappers talk about. Seriously, why dont you listen closely to some of the lyrics in today's rap. Lets face it--Jay-Z, Silkk, and Snoop Dogg arent the same as rappers from the 80s and the early 90s, and they are not rapping on the same theme. Its all about being a gangsta and a playa--great fucking influence.

Staffan

Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:42 am

Yep, it's more alive than ever, I get to hear it almost every day on the local radio stations..

btw, "furthing" isn't really a word, dictionary.com suggested "fur thing", which is what I would call my neighbours cat.

Staffan

Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:42 am

the cat btw, is into classical..

KROC

Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:04 am

Thansk Staffan, I edited my post. Typing fast gets me in trouble. As for what you hear on the radio.....that DOES NOT encompass ALL rap music. Get a clue. The radio is about 2% of rap music. And what you hear on the radio doesn't touch upon much of what you "described".

And you would know all about everything rap deals with growing up on the rough streets of Crapchester. I mainly listen to classic and new rock, by the way.

Besides, a lot of rappers dont even come out of the tough life they rap about in their songs. Many of them just come from middle-class households.

I wouldnt exactly say that rock even comes close to glorifying the lifestyle that rappers talk about. Seriously, why dont you listen closely to some of the lyrics in today's rap. Lets face it--Jay-Z, Silkk, and Snoop Dogg arent the same as rappers from the 80s and the early 90s, and they are not rapping on the same theme. Its all about being a gangsta and a playa--great fucking influence.

Speaking of sluggers, you are doing a great impression of El K Hernandez. Where I grew up has nothing to do with my impressions of the music. My open mind and all allows me to see things much more clearly. Listening to friends experiences and having seen the shit first hand anyway gives me a good idea of how life can be. And I know many rappers are "studio gangstas", but that doesn't mean the life they front isn't lived by someone else.

Oh, and you being the chief rocker, Rock glorifies all kinds of stuff. Drugs, using women, killing, it all depends on WHAT you are listening too. And the names of the 3 rappers you mentioned, as well as those on the radio DO NOT represent what is going on as a whole in rap music. It is what people want to hear, and they are making their money. Whatever. I think that KIND of rap music sucks too, but it is only a percentage of what is out there. And don't give me that 'rap music' is a bad influence and such, because bad influences can be seen on movies, the nightly news, Prime time T.V., Rock music etc. Stop trying to blame one thing for a problem that encompasses society as a whole.

Staffan

Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:14 am

At least Jerry Springer and Jay Leno aren't trying to kill eachother in shootouts every second day.

KROC

Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:18 am

At least Jerry Springer and Jay Leno aren't trying to kill eachother in shootouts every second day.

And neither are rappers. Because 2 big name rappers get gunned down, and every now and then you here M.C. such and such that was never going to get a deal anyway gets popped because he was you know selling drugs or some shit and not rapping DOES NOT mean that every rapper is trying to kill another rapper. Complete ignorance.

777236ER

Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:19 am

Kurt Cobain? Jon Lee?

Why not bitch about rock?

KROC

Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:30 am

777236ER. A strong Heroin addiction that causes one to blow off one side of his head isn't a bad influence. What are you thinking?  Big grin

Staffan

Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:35 am

You mean "smoked"? Anyway, just look at any rap played on TV. The video consists of a guy in a sloppy outfit, an expensive car, a big luxury house, some brotha's, and lotsa hot women (=b*tches in rap language).

I mean, they can't be the brightest guys on the block since they haven't even figured out what part of the baseball cap that should be pointed the same direction as their nose.

"...DOES NOT mean that every rapper is trying to kill another rapper."

No, only the ones not belonging to the same part of town as themselves (i.e east side, west side or south central)

Man, this just gave me an idea, I'm should set up a franchise so that all the kids in "tha hood" start selling leather belts instead of crack!! This way, murder rates will go down about 500% and their pants won't be hanging half way down to the floor...

KROC

Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:40 am

So Staffan, you are telling me you are not intelligent enough to realize what goes on in a rap video is for entertainment?

777236ER

Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:40 am

Just look at all the rock that's on TV. Not exactly promoting good family life is it?

Bloody hell, why not bitch about opera that always ends in tragedy?! Or Romeo and Juliet - hell they even make kids read that in school!

Staffan

Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:45 am

No, I'm telling you that their appearance isn't really helping them to come across as very serious and intelligent individuals.

Staffan

Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:48 am

777, I'm not into rock either... but at least rock bands play their music live on stage instead of jumping around waving their arms to a playback.

KROC

Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:48 am

Speaking of coming across as serious and intelligent...

No, only the ones not belonging to the same part of town as themselves (i.e east side, west side or south central)

Man, this just gave me an idea, I'm should set up a franchise so that all the kids in "tha hood" start selling leather belts instead of crack!! This way, murder rates will go down about 500% and their pants won't be hanging half way down to the floor...

Do you think people will take you seriously with yoru rediculous generalizations? Let me answer for you.....No.

KROC

Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:49 am

777, I'm not into rock either... but at least rock bands play their music live on stage instead of jumping around waving their arms to a playback.

And what does that have to do with ANYTHING? Give me a break. And I like how playing instruments makes it okay to do drugs and kill yourself and or others, but because someone does not wear a belt, its wrong. Get real.

Staffan

Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:52 am

Of course they will, generalisations is probably one of the most common things in these forums. You should try it for yourself sometime, or maybe you already have?

Staffan

Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:54 am

What rockstars have killed eachother?

KROC

Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:57 am

Of course they will, generalisations is probably one of the most common things in these forums. You should try it for yourself sometime, or maybe you already have?

No. See, I will actually know soemthing about that I am going to discuss. You don't know anything about rap music, other than what you see in the media. And that Charley is not the whole of rap music.

Staffan

Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:10 am

Ok, I'm satisfied.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Anyway, I'm off to bed, thanks for two hours of entertainment.

tbar220

Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:29 pm

All of you who bash rap music and hip hop, go pick up a CD by a group called Jurassic 5. This is real rap and hip hop. The lyrics are intelligent, the beats well done, and overall requires a lot of talent. Then come back here and make your ever so broad comments about rap.
NO URLS in signature

covert

Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:16 pm

Hmm,

The same people I have read in the past type lines and lines in defence of their little pastimes and crazed ideaologies, and now they find a topic were they will get seemingly little resistance because of a minority and go full blast on it in ridicule, and get mad and turn my defence right back on me.

I know tons of rappers that do not "turn their hats sideways" or even own guns. It isn't really their fault that the ones who come across "gangster" know how to sell records. How many of you hypocrites make 100 thou a track? Criticize all you want, call them stupid, call them uncultured, call them black, whatever, but they still get that dollar, apparently legal too.

Unfortunately, people like Jcs17 are living in a fixed mindset, he probably is the type to cross the street when he sees an Eminem lookalike, or any dark skinned gentleman.
However, people like Staffan are the least of my worries, I do not blame him for being in Sweden. I guess such things come slow up there.

The simple fact being that if it doesn't float your boat don't come shit on my day with false uneducated statements, and when you run out of valid arguments about jump to other areas such as specific races. Hey if it is so simple my challenge stands for any of you to make a hit out of it.
none

Staffan

Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:38 pm

Covert, don't take it so hard, I was just having a little fun. I've actually listened to a few rap songs that I found to be not so bad. I do however think many are weird to say the least, just look at an interview, some of them don't act like people, and put up some image to be the worlds biggest gangster or something... wespect!
As I said, a little bitching around hasn't killed anyone has it? In the hood maybe, but not here.

UPSfueler

Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:41 pm

LMAO! RAP SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Dasa

Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:31 pm

Bah. Generalisations seem to be rampant in this thread.