StarAC17
Topic Author

What Do U Think About The Bush Administration?

Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:44 am

Ok I have read quite a few good political posts that deal with the Bush administrations actions in the recent weeks and I have seen posts that agree with the administration and many that also disagree. I am asking if you agree with the policies and the administration and for those who disagree, why do you disagree and what would you do better?

I personally believe that the administration intentionally deceived a confused nation from the aftermath of 9/11 for their personal gain in taking over Iraq without international support which has backboard on them and now they are asking of help from other nations for the resources to get order in Iraq. I also believe that from the fear of the American people the administration is the greatest threat to American people and not the terrorists in the Middle East. I am not an American so my understanding may be different from Americans so I really want to hear what people from all over have to say.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

DC10GUY

RE: What Do U Think About The Bush Administration?

Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:09 am

I don't care for it much... But I am amazed by how much people from other countries follow American politics ?
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

Qb001

Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:21 am

I'm trying to look for something positive accomplished by this administration. But I can't. Either one of three possibilities.

First, I'm so anti-Bush that I can't see anything right.
Second, he did something right but I just don't know about it.
Third, Bush did nothing right.

Let's look at major issues so that you see where I'm coming from.
Healthcare: a mess; no reform in sight.
Education: a mess (latest OECD report, released two days ago, is quite clear about that); no reform in sight.
Economy: does not look very good. Budget deficit at record height.
Energy: he fixed nothing, so far. US more dependent on oil than ever.
Environment: a mess (did not sign Kyoto).
Foreign affairs: a mess; he angered some of US best allies; respect for the US, world wide, is at an all time low.
Justice: major threats on civil liberties within the US, refuses to support the International Penal Tribunal.
Military affairs: from an American perspective, okay. From any other perspective, scary and unsustainable.

Come to think of it, I can think of one good thing: the ousting of the Talibans in Afghanistan. But they seem to be regrouping these days and heroin traffic in Afghanistan is higher than ever.

How about a Clark-Dean ticket to replace Bush-Cheney?
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

Alessandro

Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:33 am

The poor guy got the world against him because of his family name and on the other hand I look back on the Clinton years and think how people whined about his bonking, now the got some real reasons for whining....
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

DC10GUY

Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:42 am

Qb001, Excellent post dude... I wonder who Bush will blame for all this ??? The republicans have had complete control of the government and all they have to show for it is Iraq ??? I would like a Dean-Clark ticket to replace Bush-Cheney.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

UAL747

Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:06 am

I first realized Bush would have a problem with international politics and diplomacy when the spy plane made an emergency landing in China. While I sincerely believe it was the Chinese fighter pilot's fault that ultimately led to his death and the crippling of the US plane, the Bush administration quickly adopted it's cold war rhetoric to the situation. I don't believe we should have apologized, but I feel they had no knowledge of Chinese mentality on the situation. Chinese culture, and Asian culture in general is a culture of saving face. China is basically the last great, and dying communist superpower. I don't think the administration took that into consideration.

I thought the current administration handled 9/11 very well, but ever since 9/11, the goals of this administration have become clouded. It's almost as if they have too much on their plate at the moment and are confused as to how they are going to resolve our current situation. I think this confusion has lead the administration to shell out propaganda and lies to it's citizens in order to maintain the support of the people. I think the administration has outright lied to it's citizens, and they continue to do so everyday.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Alpha 1

Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:09 am

Since 1441 passed, it's no secret that I think they've acted in complete dishonor. They've misled the people on the war in Iraq; they've tried, unsuccessfully to silence criticism of themselves, and things like this fascist Patriot Act; they have bullied and browbeat even allies becuase they didn't agree with them.

It's been a sad year.

I'm waiting for the Bush-tush kissers to show up. Give them time.

StarAC17
Topic Author

Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:34 am

Since 1441 passed, it's no secret that I think they've acted in complete dishonor. They've misled the people on the war in Iraq; they've tried, unsuccessfully to silence criticism of themselves, and things like this fascist Patriot Act; they have bullied and browbeat even allies because they didn't agree with them.

Alpha 1:

I'm a canuck, if you or anyone who reads this can explain what 1441 is as well as the patriot act because I know little to nothing about either

StarAC17
Topic Author

Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:41 am

Education: a mess (latest OECD report, released two days ago, is quite clear about that); no reform in sight.
Foreign affairs: a mess; he angered some of US best allies; respect for the US, world wide, is at an all time low.
Justice: major threats on civil liberties within the US, refuses to support the International Penal Tribunal.
Military affairs: from an American perspective, okay. From any other perspective, scary and unsustainable.

Good points and I give him a 2/3 chance of being re-elected in 2004 with all these problems. If Bush is there till 08 I believe Colin Powell the only non neo-con of the bunch will not be the secretary of state or have any part with the admin.

Qb001

Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:43 am

1441 is the UN resolution that pushed for more inspections in Iraq in search of WMD.

Read it all here.

VonRichtofen

Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:57 pm

Qb001,

You don't happen to have a link for that OECD education report you mentioned would you? I heard about it from a friend and I'm curious how Canada did  Big grin

Kris

L-188

Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:10 pm

Actually not signing the fundamentally flawed Kyoto treaty was an excellent move.

Energy wise, I wish he would push more for opening the 1020 area of Alaska. Does anybody remember about a year ago when he pushed for that money for alternative energy research.....It doesn't appear many do. Well he did.

Not supporting the kangaroo court known as the International War crimes tribunial was also a good move. The court was/is destined to become a wipping post for every two bit thug with an imaginary grevience against the US.

Healthcare, the reforms I would like to see are not part of either major parties platform, so I am not surprised to see those ideas not implimented. Routine care and checkups should be paid by the person, not the insurance company. You don't make the insurace company pay to change the oil on your car, just to fix the major damage. Your health care should be the same way.

Economy, Is doing better then the major media is reporting. Growth has been slower then some would like, but slow growth builds a strong economy, rapid growth is a balloon that must burst, see the Clinton Economy.

Education, Again neither party seems willing to abolish the Department of Education. I am not a big fan of the standardized tests. But he did increase funding to schools in a big way.

Military Affairs, It must really be nice to have a commander in chief that not only respects the military but treats them openly with respect.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

sebolino

Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:27 pm

The W years were a real success:

- Big unemployement
- Big economical crisis
- Big crisis at the UN.
- A useless and illegal war
- Soon to come: even greater pollution in the US. Why should we pollute less while we could pollute more ?

gkirk

Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:47 pm

Wait until Galaxy5 and Jcs17 see this post, and then things will get interesting  Big grin

My opinion? I dont have one.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Alpha 1

Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:05 pm

Economy, Is doing better then the major media is reporting.

No, it's not, L-188, and that's why it's getting the coverage it is. It's NOT doing that wel. It's doing "better" than it was, but it's still sluggish, and we're still losing manufacturing jobs at a bad clip. Just today, Ford announced they will close a suburban Cleveland plant. Say sayonara to about 1000 jobs there. So much for the good economy.

Education, Again neither party seems willing to abolish the Department of Education.

Which will do absolutely nothing at improving education. Until the Bush Administration stops trying to push vouchers on people, and commit to really IMPROVING pubilc education instead of trying to cut it off at the balls, nothing wll get better. Besides, Bush is too busy making the government bigger-positively liberal of him-to worry about abolishing any departments.

Military Affairs, It must really be nice to have a commander in chief that not only respects the military but treats them openly with respect.

It must be REALLY nice, L-188 to have a C-in-C who sends you off to wars that shouldn't have been fought; sending you to a war where you're a target every day, 6 months after the war supposedly is over; sends you to a war that he didn't have a fucking clue what to do after the war; sends you to a war where there's no one to replace you even though you've been there forever. Yes, it's nice to have respect for someone like that. And, if they truly respect Bush, I wonder about the mental aptitude of our soldiers in that case.

Wait until Galaxy5 and Jcs17 see this post, and then things will get interesting..

That's OK. L-188 has already done his part to obfuscate the real Bush reacord. Listening to him, you'd think this country was just rolling along at a great clip. Almost as misleading as how Bush got us into the war.

L-188

Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:26 pm

Alpha, Did I do something to harm you or what?

Could you imagine the savings if all of those fatcats at DOEd got the boot and their budgets where assigned as block grants to the states?

That is some major money.

You do realize that the markets are at their highs for a year?

http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/18/markets/markets_newyork/index.htm?cnn=yes

The LEI (Leading Economic Indicator) has been up the past four Months. That totals to about 2.5% since the March low.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/18/news/economy/lei/index.htm

And just checking the 7 economic indicators....for what they have been trending on the CNN website...

Consumer confidence Rebounding Growth
Retail sales Weak Growth
Leading economic indicators Rebounding growth Manufacturing Activity Rebounding Growth
Industrial Production Tepid Rebound
Unemployment Rate Weak growth
Consumer Price Index Disinflation Risk

What do you know, 3 of the 7 are predicting rebounding growth, one tepid (I translate warm) growth and two weak.

Sounds like we are heading uphill to me.

Oh and jobless claims where 10,000 less then what was predicted.

Alpha 1

Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:32 pm

Alpha, Did I do something to harm you or what?

Not at all, but I find your blind excuses for this man very amusing. Sad, but amusing.

L-188

Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:33 pm

They aren't my blind excuses.

All those figures I pulled off, came from the CNN/Money website.

You just have to read past the headlines and look at the data.

Alpha 1

Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:35 pm

All those figures I pulled off, came from the CNN/Money website.

You're not a very good Republican, L-188, if you have to turn to CNN. You should be quoting that "fair and balanced" FOX network. Shame on you. Take away your party card.

L-188

Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:36 pm

Not a chance.

If I did that then you would just write off those numbers, despite the fact they came from the same higher source, because Fox put them up.

Alpha 1

Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:38 pm

Whatever. You want us to think everything is just rosy. It's not. We have a war we can't get out of; we have an economy bleeding manufaturing jobs (I mean we've only lost 2.7 million since Bush got into office). But it's fine, Bush is the right hand of God, and we should just trust him.

L-188

Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:44 pm

We can't afford to get out of that war.

That I agree with in the philisophical sense. If we don't stick around until the region stablizes all we will have done is great another Afghaistan, Circa 1993

But apparently unlike many registered democrats I along with a lot of republicans picked up on that.

As far as bleeding manufacturing jobs, You do realize that we are switching rapidly from a manufacturing based economy to an information and service based one right. Of course there will be job loss in manufacturing.

But don't fret, it has happened before. In the 1880s the country switched from a farm/agricultural based economy to a manufacuring based one. Guess what happened then, oddly enough a lot of jobs where lost on......gasp.....farms!

We survived this paradiam shift in our economy back then, we will survie it today.

Besides if you noted in my earlier post, The economic indicator for Manufacturing Activity is listed as Rebounding.

Qb001

Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:45 pm

You don't happen to have a link for that OECD education report you mentioned would you? I heard about it from a friend and I'm curious how Canada did

I don't have a direct link to the report. From the OECD website, you have to pay or register as a journalist to get it.

Canada is ranked 5th in the world, trailing Japan, South Korea, New Zealand and Finland. By comparison, American students were rated 14th, 15th and 19th in science, reading and math respectively; that's the middle of the pack among studied countries.

Read more about it here.

[Edited 2003-09-19 14:47:47]

Alpha 1

Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:47 pm

We can't afford to get out of that war.

You don't get it, do you? We shouldn't have gotten into the God damned thing in the first place. That's the problem.

That I agree with in the philisophical sense. If we don't stick around until the region stablizes all we will have done is great another Afghaistan, Circa 1993

The region has never been stable, and the deaths of some fine young Americans isn't going to change that fact.

As far as bleeding manufacturing jobs, You do realize that we are switching rapidly from a manufacturing based economy to an information and service based one right. Of course there will be job loss in manufacturing.

Sure, then there can be a bigger gap between the have's and have-nots, just like the GOP has always wanted! Never mind that we're destroying livelihoods, it's good for the shareholders!

L-188

Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:49 pm

You right, that region hasn't been stable. So lets shoot crap and stablize it.

Those people deserve to be more then a write off and thanks to the US removing Saddam, they now have a chance to be more then they where.

Alpha 1

Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:21 pm

You right, that region hasn't been stable. So lets shoot crap and stablize it.

You think-really think-this war will stabalize that nation? What are you smoking these days up there in the Last Frontier?

Those people deserve to be more then a write off and thanks to the US removing Saddam, they now have a chance to be more then they where.

It's not up to you to make that assessment, L-188. The fact is we invaded THEIR homeland with no just cause, even though you're blinded to the contrary. Who the hell are we to tell them how they should live.

And it's not been worth one American life, what we've done over there, trivialize their deaths as you may in the attempt to make this sound like some noble cause. It's pitiful, really, that you feel this way.

N6376M

Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:32 pm

Sauce,

Their you go again - instead of addressing the statistics that L-188 cited, you made an issue of the fact that he pulled them off the CNN website. Would it have been better if he cited to the source of the various statistic (i.e. the Conference Board, the Department of Labor and the Department of Commerce).

Their a saying that says, when you've got the facts on your side, argue the fact. When you've got the law on your side, argue the law. When you have neither - just argue.

I guess we know what you've got on your side.

727LOVER

Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:36 am

Here's a little poem to sum up my feelings:

LIKE FATHER,
LIKE SON
FOUR YEARS,
& YOU'RE DONE. Big grin
Love Trumps Hate

aviatortj

Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:06 am

It aught to be interesting to see who comes to the table in 04. I think we were doing okay until about June. Once the Patriot Act came along, I lost all confidence. I am glad we had him in for 9/11, but I feel it might be time for change.

~TJ

MidnightMike

Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:21 am

Now that the fiasco in the Middle East is settling down, such as there are no more bombs being dropped, Bush can now start paying attention to domestic issues.

Our troops are out of Saudi, they are hunting down the Taliban, just today, another Iraqi official turned himself in.

Tax cuts are good for all Americans, people feel safe to travel again, airline loads are increasing.

I would love to see Bush re-elected to see what he can do when the USA is not attacked.

I have noticed people are attacking each other because their opinions are different from theirs, sheesh people, show a little respect & maturity for each other.

NO URLS in signature

StarAC17
Topic Author

Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:22 pm

Tax cuts are good for all Americans.

Theoretically a tax cut like Bush's is supposed to be beneficial to create jobs because the rich people who own the companies have less to pay to the government and therefore they have more money to hire more people to increase production. However in theory communism is also supposed to work and in all respect that has failed miserably because not everyone in deserving of equal resources in today's society. These tax cuts function in the same way in that it is supposed to give a rich person more resources to create jobs but what has ended up happening is that the rich are keeping the money for themselves and not providing new jobs and instead it has taken away nearly 3 million jobs in the US alone while all rich people get richer from the tax cuts.

would love to see Bush re-elected to see what he can do when the USA is not attacked.

He has had over two years to show what he can do without the US being attacked and look what the hell had happened, he has taken a nation that had worldwide sympathy after 9/11 and has driven then to a huge hole in the international perspective. If I lived in America I wouldn't feel at all safer since 9/11 as I would have before it, I don't believe that US or North American security is any better at all.

VonRichtofen

Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:04 pm

"Sauce,

Their you go again - instead of addressing the statistics that L-188 cited, you made an issue of the fact that he pulled them off the CNN website. Would it have been better if he cited to the source of the various statistic (i.e. the Conference Board, the Department of Labor and the Department of Commerce)."

Sauce? Why do you call Alpha 1 "Sauce"?

Perhaps it's time to act like you've at least hit puberty...  Insane

erj190

Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:03 pm

Just a small note to Dc10guy.

I am amazed that you are amazed about the importance other countries give to US policy. I am sure you really don't bother about other countries. That is quite typical.

Nevertheless please remember:

The president of the United States has to run his country, for his own countrymen - He's policies condition the amount of money in their pockets. That's about it.

In many countries around the world people bother about US policies, because they condition the amount of persons that are going to get killed.

I wouldn't be amazed by that

Regards

LSTC

Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:38 am

The sooner the elections come and you guys have a chance to dump Bush, the sooner you can get on with rebuilding your great country.

L-188

Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:14 pm

LSTC

Sorry you are about 180 degrees out of phase on that one.

Bush is restoring this country to the respect level that it deserves.

LSTC

Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:32 pm

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree L-188.

yyz717

Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:00 pm

The sooner the elections come and you guys have a chance to dump Bush, the sooner you can get on with rebuilding your great country.

There is a good chance he will be re-elected. Let's hope so. A strong America means a strong Canada.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

nwcoflyer

Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:15 pm

Qb001,

I have to disagree with you there. I am no supporter of the Bush Admin, however, Bush let Ted Kennedy and other top dems write the education bill.

I agree the deficit is high, I dont like that. However, there are now strong signs, especially in the last two weeks that it is recovering. Remember, after every recession, it always takes several more months for the jobs to show the recovery.
The New American is arriving.

LSTC

Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:19 pm

I think one of the biggest Bush legacies will be the poor international relations that he has developed with his foreign policy.

I think the popularity of the US in other countries is at a "unpresidented" (I invented that word) low....

Whether or not you think Bush has done the right thing, I don't think you can argue this observation.

Alpha 1

Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:02 am

Bush is restoring this country to the respect level that it deserves.

It takes killing off American soldiers and Iraqi's, L-188, and invading a foreign nation that was not at war with us to restore "respect" to our country? You're mad, L-188. He's a dishonorable man, and he's proving it every single day. I pity your definition of "respect". To me, it's a tragedy.

But then again, I guess killing off 200 American servicemen, and not telling the truth about how the war started, is so much more "honorable" then getting a blowjob where no one got killed, right L-188?

StarAC17
Topic Author

Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:20 am

But then again, I guess killing off 200 American servicemen, and not telling the truth about how the war started, is so much more "honorable" then getting a blowjob where no one got killed, right L-188?

I couldn't agree more and we all know if that scandal with Clinton came out in 1995 instead of 1998 he would have lost in 1996. From what I think in 2004 John McCain should run for president but that can't happen, so I hope that there is a democrat out there that will step up and hopefully win.

david b.

Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:24 am

There is a good chance he will be re-elected. Let's hope so. A strong America means a strong Canada.

Canada is like a leech. We will be better without them.

[Edited 2003-09-21 18:47:39]
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

StarAC17
Topic Author

Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:35 am

Canda is like a leech. We will be better without them.

I don't think so, the United States needs Canada probably just as much as Canada needs the US, the reason that the countries are both so prosperous is because they are each others largest trading partner. And as much as you probably hate this you need a nation who doesn't agree with your policies all the time to hold you in check even if we're 10 times less the population. Also we're better neighbor's than the Mexicans (not that I have anything against Mexico) it's just that you will find very few Canadians in the US illegally.

david b.

Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:48 am

Besides trade, which I will give them credit for, what else do they do for us?
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

sccutler

Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:22 am

snip:

There is no rational reason to believe that the federal government can do squat about healthcare; creating an ever-growing, massive bureaucracy will assure only one thing: an ever-growing, massive bureaucracy. One need only look at numerous other arms of the federal government to witness this truth.

Same answer; what can the federal government do about education?

The hangover from years of artificial economy activity will take a while to get over; but the recovery (and it is happening, I can easily see it in the backlogs of work my clients have these days) based upon cyclical patterns is inevitable. BTW, there is precious little a President can do for, or against, the economy, other than to champion fewer confiscatory taxes at the federal level. In this respect, I am none too pleased with President Bush's agreeable nature on tax policy, having compromised way too much with those who would continue the transition from our federal system (with states dominant, as mandated by the Constitution) to a purely centralized power, in DC.

Tough one, our long-term dependency on imported oil is a nut we will have to crack some day. Certainly, getting on with exploration and production in untapped areas is vital (read: ANWR), but only stopgap at best.

Neither did Clinton [sign Kyoto], and good on him for it. Kyoto is bad policy, and any President (of whatever party) who supports it is either (1) fatally ignorant of its provisions and consequences, or (2) utterly dismissive of the disaster it would represent for US citizens.

No, it is not. There are those (as always there will be) for whom appeasement is the sole option. The respect of these is a commodity we can do without.

I certainly agree that there are serious issues in my mind about many of the initiatives passed BY CONGRESS following 9/11. As for volunteering to subject US citizens to the jurisdiction of a tribunal whose inherent due process protections are wholly inadequate, well, that smells like a bad idea anyhow.

Rhetoric 1, Truth 0. The only thing worse (for the world as a whole) than a strong US military, is a weak US military. In any event, we cannot afford to soften up then hope like hell it will not hurt us later. Every effort at that has failed as a natural consequence.

====

President Bush is very far from perfect- he has been way too willing to compromise with those who seek to further consolidate power (read: economic and taxing power) in DC, and to deprive the states of their proper sovereignty. But these have been compromises, as opposed to the stated intentions of those who ran against him (DNC candidates), and those who now are lining up to run against him again.

An ever-larger federal government is a bad thing. President Bush would be well-advised to remember that, and to use such governing authority as he has, together with his influence over legislation, to head off expansion of federal programs.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

LSTC

Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:36 am

Canada is like a leech. We will be better without them. Besides trade, which I will give them credit for, what else do they do for us?

It is obvious you are not aware of the history of our 2 great countries and how we rely on each other. Think about how different your life would be if you bordered a country like Iran or Iraq instead of Canada. Or better yet, do a little research on the internet. If you keep an open mind and make an effort, you will learn that Canada is not a "leech".

IHadAPheo

Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:58 am

"Canada is like a leech. We will be better without them. Besides trade, which I will give them credit for, what else do they do for us?"

Canada is far more than just trade, as I said before we share many things from a similar but pleasantly different culture to the relative ease in crossing the border (I am awaiting final NEXUS approval). To say that Canada is a leach is as far from the truth as any statement I've seen made here on A.net.

The things I love about Canada are the ways in which we are so similar but still have enough subtle differences to make both Nations unique.

"What else do they do for us?", why do they have to do anything "for" us, not everything in the world revolves around us. Canada exists for the Canadian people and not for what they can do for the US.

Yours,
IHadAPheo
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers