AeroAussie
Topic Author

Border Control Austria/Slovakia And Hungary

Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:29 pm

What's the deal with taking the train from Vienna to Bratislava? Are there border checks? Passport stamps, etc. What about Vienna to Budapest? Serious border control there, or is it like the swiss when you come in from Milano...they glance at your passport and keep going.

cptkrell

RE: Border Control Austria/Slovakia And Hungary

Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:35 pm

Just carry a new California Driver's License...should pass with no problem at all...Jack
all best; jack

bobrayner

Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:37 pm

Glance, stamp in the passport, nothing special. It's the same as most other crossing points in central Europe. Things only get complex when you go further east.
Cunning linguist

AeroAussie
Topic Author

Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:46 pm

But they do stamp the passport...this is all I really wanted to know. The more stamps the better!

Dank u Bobrayner!

airsicknessbag

Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:01 pm

I can´t speak from personal experience (since I hold an EU passport), but land crossings generally earn less stamps.

Examples:
Germany-Poland by train - the border guards didn´t even have the equipment to stamp, so it doesn´t have anything to do with me being German.
The Poles did stamp me, however, last week at WAW airport.

A friend of mine (Australian) entered Czechia on land and did not get a stamp. He left via PRG airport, where he got an entry and an exit stamp simultaneously.

I left Estonia and Latvia by bus, getting no exit stamps, only entry stamps from Latvia and Lithuania. Again, no special treatment for me, the American sitting next to me was treated just like me. But when I left Lithuania by air, I got an exit stamp.

I did Austria-Slovakia-Hungary-Austria by car. Result: one meager stamp (entry Slovakia).

Daniel Smile