UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Who Goes To Chuch/synagogue/mosque/temple?

Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:07 pm

I am curious to know, among the people that are believers, how often do you exercise your faith ? yearly ? monthly ? weekly ? daily ?
Will
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

cfalk

RE: Who Goes To Chuch/synagogue/mosque/temple?

Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:18 pm

Not regularly. I do sometimes get the urge to go to communion though. I'd say 4-5 times per year.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Krushny

Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:24 pm

I go to the church for weddings, baptisms, first communions and funerals...

N6376M

Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:55 pm

I used to regularly until about 2 years ago.

Then we had our first child and it's absolutely impossible to go to church with her. I spent the last two Christmas and Easter Masses standing outside entertaining our daughter.

Also, the hypocrisy and fraud being perpetuated by the Catholic Church w/r/t peadophillia has really bothered both me and my wife. We're not sure that we can support a church (as an institution) that is as corrupt as it is being shown to be.

I see another REFORMATION coming.

777fan

Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:34 pm

I am Lutheran, my wife Catholic. We attend mass once a month, maybe and usually attend at Easter and Christmas.

At the Lutheran Church I used to attend, there was so much judging of people, that I have really fell away from any "church" activities.

Even with all that has gone on with the Catholic church, I have enjoyed the masses with my wife!

Rgds,

Greg
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

AirT85

Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:44 pm

I am a Methodist and attend Church every Wednesday (as a junior high youth leader) and Sunday (two services). I am a member of both Sunday morning praise teams and go to church Tuesday/Thursday nights and Saturday morning to practice for them. Occasionally, I go to the Saturday night services as well. All in all I come out to about 10-12 hours at Church a week!

-Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

asbg

Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:58 pm

As a traditional Jew I try to go to Synagogue every Sabbath and on the holidays. The ceremony itself is different than on the weekdays, especially on the holidays. Each holiday has it's own traditions.

Sam.

Happy Jewish New Year!!!  Big thumbs up

707CMF

Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:07 pm

As a Roman Catholic, I go to church almost every Sunday.

However, just to raise a protest, saying one does not go to Church because of the hypocrisy of the peadophilia case would be the same as saying one's kid won't go to school anymore because there are paedophiliac teachers out there. Those affairs are terrible things, but to generalise it to the whole Catholic Church is another terrible thing.

cancidas

Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:11 pm

as a non believer i was in church for a wedding not long ago.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

LHMark

Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:34 pm

I saw The Church in concert in Toronto once. They played "Under the Milky Way."
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Shamrock_747

Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:00 am

I go to Roman Catholic church about once a month, usually Westminster Cathedral.

Declan

Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:43 am

Hillel whenever they do Havdalah services, and High Holidays.

Stretch 8

Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:09 am

Roman. I attend mass on the average of three times per week. But I am still a miserable sinner.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

copaair737

Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:12 am

I have never been to a place of worship in my life, except for the time I went into a buddhist temple, which was really a cool experience. If there was a Buddhist temple in Palau, Id go all the time.
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

Superfly

Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:51 am

UTA_flyinghigh:
Keep in mind that many holy-rollers go to church for social reasons instead of spiritual reasons.  Big grin
Some go to church to find out and enjoy the virtues of chior girls. Big grin

I was raised Catholic but I don't go to mass/church anymore.
Bring back the Concorde

Marco

Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:11 am

Baptist - I go to church every week, and am involved with various activities with my home church.

Proud to be an Assyrian!

JAL777

Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:16 am

I am a Roman Catholic and I refuse to "go to church" unless I'm there for someone else (i.e. wedding, baptism, etc.,)

Reasons:
1. My "priest" has a daughter.
2. My "priest" always complains about the lack of contributions (spent $140,00 fixing a pipe organ).
3. My "priest" refuses to let anyone else have a say in anything the church community does or does not.
4. My "priest" has the audacity to stand up there and protest gays and sex out of wedlock and he has daughter and grandchildren.
5. My "priest" expects free everything, everywhere he goes.
6. And on, and on, and on.

No thank you... I'll pray at home.

Superfly

Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:44 am

I did go to church a few years ago to see a concert by Phil Keaggy. He is an amazing guitarist and song writer. I judge him by his music and not his sappy Christian lyrics.

Let's not turn this into a 'bash the Catholics' thread. They have there problems and all but let's not forget about the atrocities of the Protestants, Southern Baptist, Jews, Mormons and others.
Every religion has blood on there hands, kind of like most governments.

Good thing there is separation of church and state. Both are so damn corrupt!  Pissed
Bring back the Concorde

JAL777

Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:46 am

I can only bash catholic churches because that the only one I have experience with.

Superfly

Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:01 am

JAL777:
I don't need to be a Mormon to see the kind of crap they spread.
I don't need to be Southern Baptist know about there routine lynchings in the Deep South.
I don't need to be Jewish to see the atrocities against the Palestinians and leeching or our tax dollars to pay for it.  Insane
Bring back the Concorde

JAL777

Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:03 am

No one is talking about religious beliefs... we're talking about CHURCH. The physical building we walk into and pray. The only other church other then my local catholic church I've been to was a Greek Orthodox church and the whole thing was in Greek so I understood nothing.

MD-90

Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:33 am

When I first went to the church I now call home it was to hear Samford's wind ensemble play a concert. They were good, too...

I went and did everything FBC offered: Sunday morning church (traditional singing), youth choir in the afternoon, church sunday night, Wednesday night youth worship (modern). Plus the extra things like leadership team, drama team, mission trips, Judgement House production, etc.

Now at school I'm lucky if I manage to drag myself to church on Sunday mornings, especially after 8:00 PM ballgames that don't get over till practically midnight (for a bandmember, at least).

Aaron747

Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:21 am

Catholic church...I make it *almost* every Sunday
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Westjet_737

Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:56 am

Catholic, I don't go often enough though  Sad Usually just Easter and Christmas. I have been trying to go more though.

Superfly

Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:43 am

Aaron747:
I make it *almost* every Sunday

LIAR!

I've seen you spotting at SFO every Sunday. Big grin

Just kidding.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

N6376M

Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:11 pm

707cmf -

I disagree with your comment:

"However, just to raise a protest, saying one does not go to Church because of the hypocrisy of the pedophilia case would be the same as saying one's kid won't go to school anymore because there are paedophiliac teachers out there. Those affairs are terrible things, but to generalise it to the whole Catholic Church is another terrible thing.

IMO - there has been a deliberate, systematic and on-going fraud within the institution of the Catholic Church for over half a century w/r/t to the problems related pedophilia. As a Catholic, I choose not to support the institution of the church while remaining very committed to the spiritual teachings of the religion.

There is a big difference between the institutional problems of the Catholic Church and the analogy you draw to the teachers. The proper analogy would be to say that not attending church for the issue I discussed is the same as not sending your children to school because the school board has repeatedly hidden problems with pedophilic teachers. Which parent wouldn't do that?

I understand that no church can control the actions of all its members or its leaders, but there is a big difference between no controlling and actively participating in the cover up.

As for the generalization comment - how can you not say that the entire Church has been part of the cover up when the Pope refuses to take the strong action to come clean? Let's be honest, there is a wide spread problem in our Church. While I certainly do not believe that all - or even most - priest do this, a tangible number do abuse children.

If 2-3% of priest abuse children sexually (a figure that is about half of what it is in the general population of adults) then you are looking at about 800 - 1200 pedophilic priest in the US alone!

UAL747

Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:18 am

Has anyone been to an all black church? Now THERE's praising the Lord. Whether it be unfortunate or not, here in the south there are still a lot of predominantly black churches. My grandparents have a maid named Minerva, that's worked for them for 35 years, she's really part of our family, she calls her self, "Black Mamma," LOL. Anyway, she's black and everytime I visit her or my grandparents, I go to church with her where she preaches. Good Lord, she'd put the spirit in you so fast you'd find yourself singing, clapping, and even sometimes dancing. AMAZING experience!

Anyway, when I was younger, I went with her, and a bunch of other BIG black ladies (stereotypical, I know, but true all the same) to the Holy Land. When you get that many LOUD, BIG, southern Black ladies around anything to do with religion, watch out!

As far as going to church here in Dallas, I go to Prestonwood Baptist, also known as, "The Stadium of God." It's THE largest church in Dallas, with a memebership of over 20,000. To walk into the building with the orchestra and choir pounding is something so majestic and powerful, you can describe it.

While being a member at Prestonwood, I also go to a church in Dallas called, "The Cathedral of Hope." It's a predominantly gay church, and the largest gay church in the US. Most of the people who go there are people who have been shunned by other churches and society because of their sexual orientation. It's probably been the most HEALING experience for me. There are a lot of hurting people that attend, and they really make it a point to let those people know God loves them, and they shouldn't be ashamed of who they are.

UAL747

[Edited 2003-09-26 20:25:41]

[Edited 2003-09-26 20:28:40]
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

North County

Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:05 am

Superfly,

Please enlighten us with the "crap" that Mormans spread......

kilavoud

Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:08 am

How many times have you helped a blind person to cross the street ? If you have done it only once in your life, you will understand that it is as much important as to go in a church where everybody is receiving so much light!!!!  Big grin Big grin Big grin
Regards. Kilavoud.

kilavoud

Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:14 am

How many times have you helped a blind person to cross the street ? If you have done it only once in your life, you will understand that it is as much important as to go in a church where people think they will get ouf of darkness!!!!  Big grin Big grin Big grin
Regards. Kilavoud.

Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:31 am

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or "mormons" as so named by certain individuals.

I attend church weekly, which consists of three different hour long meetings:

The first is called "Sacrament Meeting" which includes a ceremony (or ordinance, as we call them) similar to communion, as well as two or three talks given from people chosen out of the congregation. Sometimes, it's a dubious honor! Every month, we have a special sacrament meeting called "Fast and Testimony" meeting. As a way of service, every month, we fast one Sunday, and donate the money that we would have used for food, as a way of serving. As a part of this meeting, members of the congregation are encouraged to address the rest of the congregation, or "bear testimony" to tell what they have learned, or to share faith promoting experiences.

The second is appropriately termed "Sunday School," and this is a discussion of gospel topics. Right now, we are studying the New Testament.

In the third meeting, the men and women split. The women go to what is called "Relief Society." This is basically a service organization. They have a lesson on other gospel topics, and discuss how they can help others in the congregation. The men go to what is called "Priesthood Meeting." The men also have a gospel lesson and discuss how to better serve the congregation. (There is more to these organizations, but it goes beyond the scope of this thread.)

As a member of this Church in good standing, it is also my priviledge to attend religious services at the Temple, where necessary ordinances, such as baptism, are performed vicariously for those who have already departed this life. We are allowed to attend "sessions" at the temple as often as we would like, but I find it is most meaningful for me if I attend every two weeks, or so.

As compared to services in other churches, our meetings are very low-key, and quite simple. It is much more egalitarian. And there are no rock bands, and there is no shouting out of various religious buzzwords, such as "praise the Lord," and "halleluiah" and so on and so forth.

Also, families are encouraged to have a "family night" once per week. This is where the family gathers together, has a gospel lesson, a song, a fun activity, or whatever--just so long as the family spends time together. There are also other opportunities to serve and participate in church activity during the week. These activies are widley vaired, and so I will refrain from naming them all--the post is already long enough!

Oh, and I try to keep my "crap" spreading to a minimum, but I can't make any garauntees!

-Normal

[Edited 2003-09-26 22:36:10]

[Edited 2003-09-26 22:45:01]

kilavoud

Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:45 am

Thank you NormalSpeed for your details, but I still prefer to help a blind person to cross the street than to serve any enlightened congregation in the world. Sincerely. Kilavoud

Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:20 am

I think you make a good point, Kilavoud. There are so many improvements that we could make in serving others. That is really the reason that we meet--to learn how to better serve Diety and neighbor.

-Normal

Continental

Sat Sep 27, 2003 7:29 am

Roman Catholic, I make it every Sunday, sometimes I go a few times a week.

MD-90

Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:57 am

NormalSpeed's a Mormon...I never would've guessed. One of my best friends at MSU is a Mormon. I'm curious about what they believe, but I avoid talking about it with her because I don't want to offend her. My cousin that I live with however has no problem labeling Mormons in with Jehovah's Witnesses, Boston Church of Christ, etc, as a cult.

I've also been to two funerals in a Catholic church (the same church, 8 years apart). That's definately different.

And if you've never been to a footwashin' black Baptist church, you're missing out. Regardless if you're a Christian or not.

Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:02 pm

"And if you've never been to a footwashin' black Baptist church, you're missing out. Regardless if you're a Christian or not."

I've been, believe it or not. Although it didn't really hold any spiritual value for me, it was extremely entertaining.

-Normal