G-KIRAN
Topic Author

One Week In New Zealand

Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:30 am

I am thinking of going to New Zealand in march for about one week. Want to see msot of the scenery which I say in the Lord of the Rings.Very impressive.Not sure where mots of it was filmed though.

Any ideas what places to go to in the one week. I am not really interested in the cities, I really but to try cycling in fjordland and trekking,particulary in the areas where the filmed The Lord of the Rings.

Thanks

TNboy

RE: One Week In New Zealand

Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:27 am

A week isn't long, and I think there are probably two major places. One is Tongariro National Park in the North Island; the other is the fiordland and glacier areas of the South Island, including Mount Cook. Doubt you would have time for both. The South Island generally is more spectacular in terms of scenery overall - but both of these areas are quite amazing. These are just the views of an Aussie tourist, I am sure NZ netters, or the NZ Tourism Commission would have more information.
Cheers
Bill
"...every aircraft is subtly different.."

cptkrell

Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:51 am

I am hoping that there will be more responders...especially from locals or folks that have spent a bit of time in NZ. My wife and I have been contemplating NZ for an approx. 3-or-4 week vacation in what I have been perceiving as a wonderful "other planet". I'll check sites as TNboy suggests, but it would also be nice to hear from this list of your personal pros and cons...thanks, jack
all best; jack

pacificjourney

Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:42 pm

I am actually from NZ so don't let 'Japan' put you of.

One week is nowhere near long enough for many of those things you want to do. Trekking (tramping) and cycling around Fiordland are multi-day affairs and you really wouldn't do justice with any shortened versions. Milford sound is a long way from anywhere but worth the trip.

TNboy has it right in that with just one week you should do one place only and do it well. Most of the South Island is empty and you can see that scenery you want so much from the main road. With one week my advice would be to hire a car in Christchurch, cut across the Alps to Hokitika. Head south to Wanaka and Queenstown (these should be seen but don't stay unless you have big wads of cash) then further south still to Te Anau and Milford sound and then to Dunedin. So far this 4 or 5 nights.

Then a fast drive up the coast to Christchurch (a somewhat boring drive) or drive back up through Cromwell/Lindis Pass/Tekapo/Fairly (long but spectacular). This puts you back in Christchurch with 1/2 days to spare for either staying in the city or a day trip north to Kaikoura.

Of course where NZers go for holidays is a completely different story and needing at least another week and some openess from you about what you want to "see". Do you feel open punk, well do you ?

BTW Lord of the Rings was filmed everywhere so there really is no one place to go.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

HOMER71

Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:43 pm

Here are links to the LOTR trilogy in terms of where they filmed it. For the first movie, it looks like they break it down according to major scenes. Hope these will help...

"The Fellowship of the Ring"
http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0120737/locations

"The Two Towers"
http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0167261/locations

"The Return of the King"
http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0167260/locations
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."