JAL777
Topic Author

It's Official: The Governator In Sacremento!

Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:02 pm

CNN now reporting Arnold has take the office of the Governor of California by a healthy margin.  Smile

http://www.cnn.com

JAL777
Topic Author

RE: It's Official: The Governator In Sacremento!

Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:03 pm

Well not really official but I think they learned some important lessons since last time around.  Laugh out loud

L-188

Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:23 pm

Double post.

But this is just the result of the exit polling done by the networks.

Do you mind if they count the actual votes.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

JAL777
Topic Author

Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:25 pm

Actually... my post was first.  Smile

Alpha 1

Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:27 pm

Yes, and yours got deleted first, JAL777.  Laugh out loud

Alpha 1

Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:34 pm

In either thread, JAL777, Califorinia comes out smelling like rotten eggs.  Laugh out loud

b757300

Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:42 pm

http://vote2003.ss.ca.gov

If anyone wants to follow the official returns from the California Sec. of State, you can use this link.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

L-188

Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:44 pm

My hope is that this recall will show politicians that their jobs are at risk if they refuse to follow the will of the people.

Hopefully this fear will spread to all the states.

Theiler

Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:45 pm

I really do appreciate the laughs that California has provided throughout this process. The whole political situation out there is more amusing than an episode of Reno 911  Smile

[Edited 2003-10-08 05:45:35]

Aloha717200

Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:46 pm

Well, I'll just repeat what I said in the post that was deleted:

WAY TO GO ARNOLD!!!  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

I await the official confirmation from the news networks after all the votes have been counted, but still this is excellent news.

I'm also counting the minutes until the democrats launch their lawsuits...and a recall petition as well.

Alpha 1

Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:52 pm

Democracy through fear. Watch what you ask for, L-188....

...but still this is excellent news...

No one knows what Ahnold even stands for, as far as running the state, so how can it be "excellent" news?  Laugh out loud

JAL777
Topic Author

Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:54 pm

God please no! We don't need California's wacky politics throughout the rest of the country.

I'll through out Governor McCreepy when his time comes...

Alpha 1

Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:58 pm

JAL777, you're in New Jersey, so why are you so excited about what's going on in California?

L-188

Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:01 pm

Do you prefer government through bribery and PAC's?

I ask because that is what was going on there.

The government should fear the people, not the other way around.

mirrodie

Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:01 pm

So much for Mary Carey. (was she talented at all?)
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Aloha717200

Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:04 pm

The entire nation is interested in this recall, if only for it's historic significance (the only time a governor has been recalled since 1921), the high-profile candidates, the number of virtual nobody's also running on the ballot, and the circus surrounding the events ranging from character to economy to groupies in the 1970s.

This is a recall to remember. Your candidates' ads for governor are running in other states.  Smile

L-188

Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:12 pm

I have issues with that first since 1921 statistic.

Bill Sheffield when he was governer of Alaska was brought up on recall charges if memory serves but the charges where found without base, and it never went any farther.

I'll see if I can dig up any more infor about that, but the internet wasn't around in 82-84 so I don't know how successful I will be.

wgw2707

Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:47 pm

CONGRATULATIONS TO ARNOLD!!! THANKYOU FOR DELIVERING ME FROM GOVERNOR GRAY DAVIS!!!!!!

It will be nice living in a state with a government that actually works.

BTW The Governor of Arizona was recalled in 1989, if memory serves. Bill Metchum or Meechum or somesuch was his name. He was recalled for abolishing the state's Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday. Technically, the term used was "impeached" but again, if memory serves, the actual voting for the impeachment was done by the general public. I could be wrong on this.

-WGW2707

BlatantEcho

Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:43 pm

I hope you all watched with intent eyes, California is the most imporant state in the union.

George
They're not handing trophies out today

jhooper

Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:14 pm

I glad that Arnold won, but I thought it would be interesting to point this out:

Currently, with 48% of the votes counted, Arnold has 1,758,991 votes while Gray Davis has 1,788,631 votes (so in fact Arnold has almost 30,000 fewer votes than Davis). I know the recall election doesn't work that way, but I just thought I'd throw that out.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Aaron747

Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:32 pm

Boy oh boy, rampant ignorance at work here.

WGW, the government will never 'work' in this state until we have serious structural reform. It's not about the man - it's the system. If you have any misunderstanding about that, then I'm sorry, you understand nothing about this state's recent political history or legislative legacy.

L-188, this election had little to do with the people of this state feeling their will wasn't being carried out by the governor. Wrong or right, this was an expression of collective frustration in regard to the general economic morass nobody in our state's government has been able to address, and Davis was the fall guy, for better or worse. People easily forget we have 386 other lawmakers in two houses who share equal culpability for recent legislative performance.

As previously stated, we have serious structural issues that require innovative, thoughtful, and pragmatic policy solutions. Our fiscal system is in shambles due to years of politicians' proselytizing and citizens' assumptions about the degree to which we're actually taxed and what it all pays for. Many are going to have to put heads together to begin to tackle our situation in a substantive fashion.

If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

tbar220

Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:42 pm

I'm terribly frustrated right now. Not because Gray Davis was recalled, but in my eyes, nobody better was chosen. Its like saying, "Hey, the surgeon's having a bad day today, lets bring in the janitor to do his job."

While I have no problem with non-politicians running for public office, I have a problem when they appear to have no political clue at all. Arnold has been very wishy washy on his political stance, he neglected the political debates, and really just got by off his name. All Arnold really is right now is the people who are behind him (i.e. Warren Buffet).

But, he hasn't had a chance to prove himself yet, so I'll give him a chance. But I'm not expecting anything right now. If one thing Gray Davis did right, it was his refusal to cut a single dollar from the education budget, something I as a student care about. I dont expect that to remain for long that way.

Lastly, I'm a firm opponent of the current Bush administration and Republican lawmakers in congress. I think this country has been going backwards ever since Bush was elected, and the last thing we need is a Republican governor in the most populated state in the Union. With the current state of politics in this nation, you can expect a lot of voiced opinions from Washington as to how Arnold should run the state.

I'm very cynical on the status of politics in this country, and very dissapointed in the direction it is headed. A sad day indeed.
NO URLS in signature

UAL747

Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:47 pm

God. I dunno if I'm the only one, but I can't get the way Arnold says "California" out of my head. Drives me NUTZ!

KAH-LEE-FOR-NEE-UH!

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

L-188

Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:52 pm

aARON747,

You are right, there needs to be serious structural reform to Califronia politics.

Arnold will have a hard time, because it can be assumed that everybody, left in positions of high power by Davis will not be cooperating with his administration.

CPH-R

Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:01 pm

To go back to a previous reply:
My hope is that this recall will show politicians that their jobs are at risk if they refuse to follow the will of the people.

If that was the case, I think that world economy would have hit rock bottom eons ago. How on earth do you think that Arnie is going to turn that deficit while not raising taxes, removing any services or firing any public workers.

I can't wait to see Arnie
a) be thrown out on a second recall (that is, if he's not quick to get rid of that law be calling it outdated etc.)
b) having to work with Cruz Bustamante, whom I believe he have not been saying too many happy words about.
c) the people of California waking up in a few months and see how their economy is doing, because as far as I know, the democrats still controls the state senate, so Arnie is going to have to work with them to "pump up Sacramento".

BR715-A1-30

Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:28 pm

Arnold may make a great governor, but what about President....???? Reagan made it, why shouldn't ol' schwarzy.
Puhdiddle

UAL747

Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:32 pm

He can't. He wasn't born in the US. You have to not only be a citizen, but you must also be born in the US to be president, if I remember correctly.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Alpha 1

Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:59 pm

You are right, there needs to be serious structural reform to Califronia politics.

I don't quite agree, L-188. I don't think the politics are a problem if there is some fiscal sanity in the state. And I don't mean from strictly a Statehouse perspective.

It seems, from the outside, that the 30 years of proposltions that have come through California, beginning with Prop 13, have hamstrung Sacramento from effectively running the state in a fiscally sound and reasonable manner. Yes, that would be a political reform, but in my eyes, it's more an economic reform.

It will be nice living in a state with a government that actually works.

Therin lies the problem. You acutally believe that electing Ahnold will solve all the state's problems. If it were that easy, everyone on this board would have been behind Ahnold. But it's not, and it's ignorance to think otherwise. The state needs serious economic, political and voting reform, vis-a-vis this ridiculous system that lets every kook put a propositon up that will further hamstring the state. Until that happens, we just might see a repeat of this fiasco in a year or two.

[Edited 2003-10-08 14:23:50]

goingboeing

Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:30 pm

I wonder if Arnold, now that he is governor of the state, will see fit to extinguish his stogie that he continued to smoke, even in places where it was banned by state law. IMHO, this sets a horrible precedent for the country. DOn't like the guy thats in there? Throw him out. The replacement suck? ...recall him. I would imagine that you could get enough zealots to organize recall campaigns that would force their "agenda" on any unsuspecting state. Voter turnout was great for this "historic" event, but when election, recall or not, become commonplace, voter apathy can turn around to bite you in the butt...only those who want the guy removed will turn out for the election...

This is a demonstration of the lack of personal responsiblity that is so prevelant today...a guy is elected by the majority of the people. Uh oh, we made a mistake...well...it wasn't MY fault, even if I did vote for the guy...he's beholden to the "special interests" (guess what...they all have their own "special interests").

Arnold may turn out to be a fine governer...but in California, a large part of the population are a bunch of starfu**ers - expecting the Terminator, but instead getting a former bodybuilder who married well.

Banco

Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:48 pm

On the issue of Arnie for President, didn't Demolition Man have a gag in it about the law being changed and foreign born citizens being allowed to stand?

Not so funny anymore (actually it wasn't funny then), more scarily predictive.  Big grin
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

jaysit

Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:02 pm

Arnie is not gonna get recalled.

First of all he won by a VERY healthy margin. Second, he has the republican political mainstream (Richard Riordan, Pete Wilson, etc) on his side. Third, he has the backing of the Democratic mainstream and the Kennedy clan. Fourth, all of these backers will ensure that Arnie gets the best political help he can get.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Alpha 1

Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:11 pm

Jaysit, all that is well and good, but it won't solve the state's problems, will it. Calif. is like, what-$36 BILLION in debt. It's going to take an entire overhaul of all the fiscal and political apparatus of that state to get out of this quagmire, and while Ahnold may not be any worse than Gray Davis, I don't see how he's going to be any better.

Perhaps it's time for California to do what the State Legislature voted to do in 1869-split the state North and South. Maybe that's a beginning.  Smile

NoUFO

Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:32 am

© Haderer, www.stern.de

Austria is proud on Arnie.
The Text in the bubble reads: "It's governor, Granddaddy, not gouvernator."
I support the right to arm bears

Aaron747

Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:37 am

The $38 billion figure was pared down to a debt service of some $10.8 billion for the coming fiscal year.

A perfect example of the multidimensional aspect of the state's fiscal issues is Prop 13, the landmark 1978 tax revolt that limited property taxes to 1% of purchase valuation on residential property and 0.5% on commercial, *some of the lowest rates in the COUNTRY*

Prop 13 is *far and away* a primary influence on California's poor fiscal structure. We have a budget larger than that of many states combined, yet we're one of the only states that doesn't derive a majority of state revenues from property tax.

Of course, we've mismanaged housing *production* to the extent that any further increase in associated cost would be considered de facto untenable. It's a very difficult situation - and self defeating at that.

Local governments are so cash strapped due to the paltry property tax revenues that they typically make up the difference by imposing stiff fees on new development. Housing developers, for instance, often have to pay for roads, utilities, parks, and even new schools, often in part, and sometimes in full. This adds more than $100,000 to the sale price of a given housing unit in most CA jurisdictions. What are they supposed to do? They're trying to make a buck too.

None of this is easy.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Greg

Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:46 am

It's and embarrassment to the great State of California.

jhooper

Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:52 am

It wouldn't be just matter of changing some law so that Arnold could become president. This would take a constitutional ammendment. I believe there have only been 28 of these ammendments in our 227 year history, and I don't think we're going to make a 29th ammendment for that reason. Constitutional ammendments, which are extremely difficult to pass, only reflect the most serious trends in American ideology
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

EA CO AS

Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:27 am

From "Demolition Man"... (paraphrasing..not exact quotes)

"Hold it. The SCHWARZENEGGER library?"

"Yes, the Schwarzenegger Presidential Library.."

"He was PRESIDENT?"

"Yeah, after Congress passed the 43rd Amendment, allowing foreign born citizens to run, Governor Schwarzenegger became President. Wasn't he an actor back in the 20th?"

[Edited 2003-10-08 19:55:06]
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Aloha717200

Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:43 am

This is an update in regards to Jhooper's first reply:

Currently, with 48% of the votes counted, Arnold has 1,758,991 votes while Gray Davis has 1,788,631 votes (so in fact Arnold has almost 30,000 fewer votes than Davis). I know the recall election doesn't work that way, but I just thought I'd throw that out.

Now that the votes are completely in, these numbers have changed. Arnold has actually beaten Gray Davis on both counts.  Smile

Here's the current numbers:

Favored recall: 4,310,219 votes
Against recall: 3,521,809 votes

Those who voted for Schwarzenegger: 3,655,074 votes

So Arnold not only beat his opponents, the number of votes for him actually exceeded those who sought to keep Davis in office.  Smile

Aaron747

Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:02 am

There's nothing to smile about in regard to any of this.

The one good thing that could have come from the recall was a serious discussion of policy issues in this state. It never happened. Business as usual.

Didn't help that the electorate made it abundantly clear that such discourse was the furthest thing on their list of priorities.

EA CO AS

Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:10 am

Did anyone happen to catch Brit Hume's brilliant reply to a local DNC official who appeared on Fox News Channel last night?

The agitated DNC official was rambling on and on about Schwarzenegger, and how he stole the election just like (referring to the President) "Bush Jr." and how "Bush Jr." was going to get "recalled" in 2004, etc.

Brit Hume, without missing a beat, said, "I guess I'm confused; who are you talking about? You keep referring to this 'Bush Jr.' and I don't know who that is."

The DNC official, realizing he'd been referring to the President in a less-than-flattering manner on national TV, stammered and attempted to coax his feet out of his mouth while Brit Hume grinned from ear to ear. Priceless.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

SSTjumbo

Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:23 am

Unfortunately, you really can't convince the dead people in Chicago that Daley doesn't act upon the will of the people.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

L-188

Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:31 am

Oh I agree this will have more effect on the living

flyboy36y

Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:24 am

Please, keep that bullshit out of New York. THe recall is very undemocratic. It was bankrolled by Darell Issa who wanted to become governor. He left the race in tears when he realised that he could not win. Also he said he was against the recall (after starting the whole thing) because Arnold ran. I don't think politiciands should answer to the people like this. The people oftn don't know what they want and in reality he's only answering to Republicans. That's right, people do not know what they want! They want change, buy ousting Davis won't get them that. I hope that California NEVER gets out of the mess it's stupid voters made.... let THAT be a lesson to other states.

Aloha717200

Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:18 am

I hope that California NEVER gets out of the mess it's stupid voters made

I wouldn't wish that on California or it's citizens. It isn't fair to wish a non-recovery on the state. Also remember that if California's economy recovers, it will be very good for the national economy as a whole. What happens in California affects the entire nation.

covert

Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:26 am

What happens in California affects the entire nation.

I was just thinking that this morning. California has an economy the size of many well-to-do nations. It is also by no coincidence the largest economy in this nation. That actor better get busy, because he has less than 90 days to get that budget together, and even though I am in Pennsylvania, I know that if a few states independently are on the way to wealth, then the national deficit will begin to decrease.

covert
none

Superfly

Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:33 am

I think any lawsuits would be silly to file over this election.

Californians voted for gridlock. That's the only thing I expect out of Sacramento at this time.
Democrats have a large majority on both the state Senate and Assembly. All other 8 statewide offices are held by Democrats. Our elected officials will quickly sniff out the Bushshit and Pete Wilson schemes through Arnold.
I seriously doubt his effectivness.

He can be recalled just as easily as he got in.
Bring back the Concorde

727LOVER

Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:46 am

Gary Coleman lost???????? DAMN !!!!  Pissed
Love Trumps Hate

Superfly

Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:55 am

Gary Coleman (Ind) 12,683 or 0.2%

Gary Coleman beat Bill Simon, Mary Carey, Leo Gallagher, Angelyne, Richard Simons and Micheal Jackson.  Smokin cool
Bring back the Concorde

B2707SST

Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:51 pm

The best thing for W in 2004 would be a Democratic attempt to recall Schwarzenegger in 90 or 100 days, as party officials have threatened. The election results and exit polls prove that the electorate in CA is very angry. If far-left party elites in California, including an obstructionist legislature, refuse to let Schwarzenegger have a chance to fix the state's problems, they risk the wrath of the voters next year.

John Fund had a great article (http://www.opinionjournal.com/politicaldiary/?id=110004132) in yesterday's Wall Street Journal providing a model from Schwarzenegger: Governor Rick Perry of Texas.

Governor Rick Perry, a Republican who succeeded George W. Bush in the governor's office in 2001, has just wrestled a $10 billion budget deficit to the ground.

"I got a helluva New Year's present--a deficit that was 16% of my total budget," he told a group of conservatives in Washington last week. "I quickly decided we weren't going to hurt the state's people or economy by raising taxes."

That's been Arnold's line too, and Gov. Perry has proved that it's possible to mean it. He required every agency to state its budget needs starting from zero. They weren't allowed to start by saying how much more they needed than in the previous year. This zero-based budgeting approach ensured that no program escaped scrutiny and oversight.

His cost-saving efforts pared a billion dollars of the state's health care agency by consolidating its bureaucracy. He performed the same surgery on the state's sprawling education bureaucracy. Every other agency was required to cut its budget by 13% for the remainder of the fiscal year.

"Those who say you can't balance a budget without raising taxes are just interested in the taxes," he says.

--B2707SST
Keynes is dead and we are living in his long run.

POSITIVE RATE

Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:00 pm

Congratulations to Arnold! I'd have voted for him too if i was a California resident  Smile