Marco
Topic Author

The Plight Of The Assyrians In Iraq

Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:04 am

I just came across this interesting article and thought I'd share it with you guys...

http://www.atour.com/news/assyria/20030826a.html

It highlights the plight of the Assyrians in Iraq, and what we've gone through, throughout the 20th century.

Regards
Proud to be an Assyrian!

jaysit

RE: The Plight Of The Assyrians In Iraq

Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:54 pm

As Whoopi said on her show "Americans can't tell the difference between Arabs and Persians." Well, I doubt if all the geography lessons in the world can show the average voter the difference between an Assyrian, a Syrian, or an Iraqi. Maybe a movie starring Cher as an Assyrian mom on the run from Saddam !

Isn't there a big Chaldean community in the UAE? On one of my visits there I remember reading about a Chaldean priest who was arrested for distributing religious literature. I thought it was interesting that the Dubai press would report it, but wondered what would come of his arrest.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

IndianGuy

RE: The Plight Of The Assyrians In Iraq

Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:34 am

Marco: Iraq's future can be secured ONLY if the various ethnic groups can find a way to live together in peace. for that we need a secular framework to be built

Do the Assyrians seek an "independent" homeland? I doubt if that is even possible given the context. The countries in the neighbourhaood, Turkey, Iran ,Syria and ofcourse the American puppet Israel all have their respective interests to playing out.

So the only future is in staying together. Assyrians are also IRaqis.

-Roy