mt99

Any Almodovar Fans?

Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:16 am

I saw "All about my Mother" the other day, and talk about one F*up movie! I rented yesterday "Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown " and i was good too.

Its so refresing to see movies that they dont take themselves seriuosly once in a while.

I dont think many directors/writers can get by with dialogue like:

"First i was a trucker, then i put on my boobs and i became a whore"
Step into my office, baby

mirrodie

RE: Any Almodovar Fans?

Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:36 pm

saw a few... but can;t recall their names. AmoresPerro

and hte other was about two young guys exploring with an older woman.

Was considering viewing Like Water for Chocolate this weekend but deferred.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Aeri28

Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:54 am

I like his older ones better. "Women on the verge' in the late 80's was the film that seemed to put him on the map (at least in this country). But his older films have a much more raw edge to them. "Matador", "Law of Desire", "What Hve I done to deserve this" are all great films. (cant remember the spanish names however..). That is n't saying that his newer films are not good. They are. Just a different edge I'd say. His latest, "Talk to Her" , was very good but a subject matter some might find bizarre.

Alessandro

Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:39 am

High heels is good film by him...
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

jimbobjoe

Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:32 pm

Oustanding films....I think that Women on the verge is his best for many reasons (check out the colors in that film.) He seems to do really well when he doesn't take himself so seriously (like Women on the verge or What have I done to deserve this...) but High Heels is excellent (and probably my favorite.)

All about my mother is way too depressing for me.

Tie me up...is a romp. The flower of my secret is an interesting film for him, in that it's so normal seeming. But still compelling.

And god help me he's got some major issues with his mother. On the other hand, he has some amazingly insightful observations about women (whom I think he loves and hates...but since he's a gay man...he loves and hates them in a different sorta way.) All his films seem to be outlets for his own psychological/sexual frustrations...

Ok...now I'm sounding like a college film essay. I'll stop now.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy