SInGAPORE_AIR

"Trick Or Treat!" - A Disgusting Institution

Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:25 pm

This will be in two parts...

Halloween is here. I do not look forward to the evening. In fact, one despises it.

Firstly, one gets children or teenagers accompanied by adults who are dressed up in Halloween costumes knocking at your door. "Trick or treat" followed by an aura of expectation that one would give them some money or a sweetie.

As institutions go - this isn't a good one and it's damned well annoying. The evening is disrupted. One could be watching television, a DVD or studying hard for maths exams on the 4th November and be intruded by a knock on the door - the tradition being giving those young humans something. How silly and immature. Take young teenagers for example who are more gung-ho about getting something. Why should one be put under pressure and intimidated into giving them something just for dressing up in some weird little costume or else they would egg the house or the family car? Ridiculous. Not only is it a stupid ideology that is ingrained into the minds of young people that such yobbish behaviour might not be acceptable on any other night, but you can probably get away with it on Halloween. How ignorant and cowardice! I do not think much of such people who participate in this act of childishness, theft and terrorisation.

Part two to follow...Bowel movements need to be executed.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

Alpha 1

RE: "Trick Or Treat!" - An Disgusting Institution

Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:31 pm

Firstly, one gets children or teenagers accompanied by adults who are dressed up in Halloween costumes knocking at your door.

Easy solution, pal-leave your lights off at night, and don't buy any candy. Problem solved. Then you can hate it by yourself.

How silly and immature.

As opposed to your childish rantings about nothing? Maybe you're the one that needs to grow up.

So sad that someone wants to have a good time, when you just want to be a sad old stooge. Get a life, and deal with it. Good God!  Laugh out loud

bobrayner

Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:40 pm

I think the phrase you were looking for is "Bah, humbug".  Big grin
Cunning linguist

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:42 pm

"Easy solution, pal-leave your lights off at night, and don't buy any candy. Problem solved. Then you can hate it by yourself." - I was coming to that.

--------
Now, threatened by acts of terrorism, I will indeed be leaving all the lights off, making sure the TV is on a low volume setting and that my mother will have to put off her food processing for another night.

It's a sad time when people who do not want to squander their money and synergies have to live under a veil of darkness once a year to avoid wastage. Why should the many suffer inconvenience and creature-comfort-discomfort because of the few.

In conclusion, it's all very nice to have Halloween parties, let them go ahead. But the idea that hard-earned currency should be given away because of some foolhardy tradition in my opinion should be outlawed. In a style true to myself....

FOR SHAME!

Qb001

Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:50 pm

Singapore_Air,

Your lack of culture is what's really shameful here.

All societies have such traditions and celebrations. Halloween comes from the Celtic culture, but others have similar rites as well (Ancient Greeks and Romans, European societies throughout the Middle Ages, etc). It will not go away because you don't like it.

You don't want to give candies to young children? Fine. Wonder who's the real little monster then...
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:52 pm

Yes, forgive me. Let's make a feastday of extorting money from thy neighbours. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to take part in that festivity(!).

The little monsters? Debatable, but it sure as hell ain't me!

Alpha 1

RE: "Trick Or Treat!" - A Disgusting Institution

Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:48 pm

Singapore Air, again, if you don't like it, DON'T FRIGGIN' PARTICIPATE! But don't go around belittleing others because they enjoy it, and enjoy seeing their kids have fun.

Lord knows you should be inconvenience by children. You'll certainly make a shitty parent, that's for sure.

goingboeing

Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:58 pm

Hmmm. I accompany my disgusting little 10 year old on her annual rounds. We go with a large group in the neighborhood. I don't know where you live, but here in America's heartland, if the porch light isn't on, or a jack-o-lantern isn't on the porch, we simply skip the house. Even if there are tons of lights on inside and Chef Boyardee is preparing a feast - we simply skip the house. And in 10 years, I've not seen any terroristic acts directed at anyone who chose not to participate in the holiday. Indeed, when I bring my daughter in at about 8:00 p.m., our porch light goes off and we aren't bothered by the teenagers who tend to wait until the little kids are done. I haven't had my home damaged by them either.

ProSimTec

Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:25 am

How awful! Parents out with their children, meeting and greeting neighbors... What next? Block parties? While we're at it, lets do away with the annoying Christmas Carolers.

"Darkness was cheap, and Scrooge liked it".....

Alpha 1

Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:26 am

I think The Grinch more fits his angst. His heart must be two sizes to small.

What a petty person you are, Singapore Air.

UN_B732

Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:31 am

I think all that he's trying to say, is that he hates when people come to him demanding stuff..He has that right. Stop bashing him.
-UN
What now?

CanadianNorth

Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:36 am

Just do what i do

Put a tv in the living room there, and sit on a rolling chair, and have a bowl of candy by door, so when the doorbell goes off just roll over a foot or 2 open a door throw out a few candys shut the door and roll back to where you are.... The way this house is designed i dont even have to take me eyes off the tv... works fine

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

fritzi

Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:39 am

Singapore_Air,

Get a Pitbull and tie let him run loose in the garden hungry!!!

Alpha 1

Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:02 am

UN b732, he brought it upon himself by being a crybaby because other enjoy this particular holiday. So he-and you-have no leg to stand, nor bitch, on.

aa61hvy

Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:03 am

SQ- Man if buying a buck $5 bag of candy breaks the bank, then you might want to look into your personal spendings. I spent a few bucks on candy for some inner city kids who cam trick or treating here, 5 bucks to make a lot of kids happy is well worth it. Too bad a bitter person like you can't see that.
Go big or go home

JBirdAV8r

Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:09 am

Now now, guys.

So what if our favorite SQ fan wants to show his balls on the Internet. Who are we to stand in his way?  Laugh out loud

To me, good ol' SQ_air is like the Santa Ana winds. They're far away from me, and all they are is a lot of gusty, hot air.  Wink/being sarcastic
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

aa61hvy

Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:19 am

To UN- I have some strong opinions about things, but I will not post them because I don't want to get unloaded on. Maybe SQ should think the same way.
Go big or go home

An-225

Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:21 am

I don't understand what the big deal is here. Singapore_Air expressed his opinion. Let's not start jumping on him for something he said. For some reason, he is flamed worse than some other people who deserve that. I personally do not enjoy Halloween, never went trick or treating, and don't intend to, and I'll be at work anyway. As for being a shitty parent - not everything should revolve around family and kids, that's for sure.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

bigphilnyc

Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:52 am

Suckappore, it's so entertianing to come here and watch you complain about somethign enw each day.

Tomorrow is All Saints Day. I assume you'll have a whiny bhitch-fest about that, too, right?

Yes, he expressed his opinion, so I'll express mine.

You're right, I love free speech.
Phil Derner Jr.

IHadAPheo

Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:31 am

If Halloween with it's alllowing children to have an enjoyable time with their families is so horrid to SA I sure hope he never finds out about the Day of the Dead, can you imagine the horror of honoring the memoy of dead relatives and friends.

In fact this Halloween I am quite upset, for the reason that I have to work 1500-2300 and will be unable to go with my 2 year old daughter this year. Instead I'll be in the ER having watching people suffer and deal with illness and death. Trust me on this one I would love to spend an hour or two with my daughter enjoying Halloween than being at work being reminded of my own mortality and the very real possibilty that I may not have the amount of time to see my daughter grow that I enjoy any chance to enjoy a fun night out with her.

So Halloween is "disgusting" but testing airline tampons, the quality of toilet flushing and the number of employee smiles isn't. I for one would rather enjoy watching the kids on Halloween than poop spin in a toilet any day.

Yous,
IHadAPheo
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:13 am

"Man if buying a buck $5 bag of candy breaks the bank, then you might want to look into your personal spendings."

I have better things to spend £2.95 on than humans who dress up in costumes which bring no emotional nor socio-economic benefit to myself.

"but I will not post them because I don't want to get unloaded on."

What can I say? Negative opinions about me by Airliners.net users have never features in my life much during my time here.

Kudos AN-225  Big thumbs up

"can you imagine the horror of honoring the memoy of dead relatives and friends."

It is tradition for me to honour my parents' parents four times a year (the day that each one died). I have no horror, maybe it's because I don't fear the window being egged.

"So Halloween is "disgusting" but testing airline tampons, the quality of toilet flushing and the number of employee smiles isn't."

That was a twist of words, like the poop spinning. Have a Halloween party. And for the record, I have never reported on these forums that I have tested an airline tampon for absorbancy.

Happy Halloween everyone (!)  Insane

GDB

Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:33 am

It's harmless, however trick or treat is relatively new in the UK, I'd not heard of it until a news programme showed American kids doing it in the late 1970's.
I suppose you'd have reason to complain if the kids put a 'UK Spin' on this activity, which has been known to happen, like emptying your dustbin outside your door, or putting dogshit through your letterbox, if you refuse them their treat.
What might piss some off though is that Halloween is very close to Guy Fawkes night on November 5th, where kids make a dummy representing the man who tried to blow up Parliament and ask for a 'penny for the Guy', the dummy will be for burning on bonfires as part of the firework displays.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:37 am

"I suppose you'd have reason to complain if the kids put a 'UK Spin' on this activity, which has been known to happen, like emptying your dustbin outside your door, or putting dogshit through your letterbox, if you refuse them their treat."

Tis true. I'd also have reason if there was a virtual obligation to give them some sort of capital to appease them and make them go away.

As for the Guy Fawkes thing, I've never had that done to me....and hopefully never will.

airplay

Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:51 am

This opinion of Halloween, exposes more than a lack of tolerance. Using words like "disgust" is pretty strong to describe something that is no more than an "annoyance".

Describing Halloween as sponsored stated terrorism is pretty extreme too. This is beyond someone demonstrating reasonable disdain for a tradition. This is just bitter ranting from an extremest point of view.

So...like others have said, you need to get over this and deal with it in your own way, be it by succumbing to the tradition and passing candy, or just putting a sign out front asking people not to bother you. You'll feel much better for it.

EGGD

Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:59 am

Man,

I don't mind kids trick or treating at all, its when people take advantage of it it starts to tick me off. All of the children in the council estates get together, no matter how old (15 or 16, some of them), all group up in 10's and then they come round to our housing estates with black binbags asking for stuff. If they don't get it, the usual will occur. Either, they'll throw eggs at your house, or break in at a later date, or throw eggs or flour at a later date, key your car, destroy your garden, etc etc.

Same with carol singing. Some of them do many 3 lines of a song then ask for ££££'s.

Etc.

I don't like it.

Airplanepics

Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:00 am

Singapore_Air;
Have a heart, its just some kids having a good time.
Now, threatened by acts of terrorism
How can you say something like that? How is halloween terrorism? as I said its just a few kids having some fun!

If you dont belive in it, well thats ure understanding. But quiet frankly, whats the point of this thread, you knew your immature comments would have backfired onto you!

Oh, by the way, HAPPY HALLOWEEN!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy

[Edited 2003-10-31 20:01:23]
Simon - London-Aviation.com

LHMark

Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:01 am

Singapore, you could always take a page out of the Jim Rome playbook and give the kiddies cough drops.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

lehpron

Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:03 am

" "Trick Or Treat!" - A Disgusting Institution"

Are you one of those scrooges that puts razor blades in apples?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

cancidas

Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:02 am

Singapore_Air,

dude, you have problems. if you don't like something then simply don't partake in it. lock yourself in your house and don't answer the door. tonight is about fun, for the kids and adults. your dislike of everything is getting to be a fucking drag!
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

ProSimTec

Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:22 am

Based on SQ's fan's comments, I would have guessed that it was a 74 year old man ranting (I apologize to all you 74 year olds who still love Halloween). Imagine my surprise when I read his profile; Male between 16-20. ????? Come on man, you aren't too far removed from the group your complaining about. We're you shunned by these very types you don't like? Perhaps it is the Charlie Brown syndrome...Everyone else got candy, you got a rock.

UPSfueler

Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:44 am

Get a life dude. I for one enjoy Halloween and look forward to having a fun night. You need to quit bitching about nothing and crawl back in to your hole.

Aaron747

Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:48 am

I've never been too crazy about Halloween but I follow the institution anyway. Why? Because KIDS LOVE IT. Depriving children of something they enjoy is as selfish as selfish gets.

Besides, it makes my dentist rich.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aloha717200

Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:45 am

I dont enjoy halloween as much as I used to, and a good reason for that is that all of the trick-or-treaters who once used to come to the door, now go to the mall instead, where it's "safe".

Because of a few assholes who put crap like razors in kids' candies, the kid's parents prefer to go to a safe, public place like the mall than have them go door-to-door anymore. and that's a shame.

Last year we had two bowlfuls of candy with more to spare. We didn't even get a quarter of the way through the first bowl before halloween was over. So few trick or treaters.

I hope this year is different. The only time that I find trick or treaters annoying is if they come at a very inconvenient moment....

That said, we have been vandalized by the "bad ones" on halloween as well. Through no fault of our own. We always give treats at halloween.

Last year though my aunt's car was heavily egged and the trees were toilet-papered. We've also had our pumpkins smashed many times in the past, much to our dismay. We always enjoy creating the jack-o-lanterns and some dipshit has to come along and smash them all. Not every year, but it's happened often enough.

My theory is that those who want to cause trouble: WILL, and there's not a darn thing you can do about it either. If they want to smash pumpinks or throw eggs they're gonna do it. They hit us a few times only because it was convenient, if they had come to the door they would have gotten candy like everyone else.

Yet, this brings me back to the whole original point: A few bad apples spoil the whole crop. Just like a few bad people caused kids and their parents to get scared of going door-to-door, a few bad kids make some people hate trick-or-treaters. They aren't all bad, and the good ones are worth seeing, they make you happy even as you make them happy.

In short....lighten up for heaven's sake. Stop making it sound worst than it is.

electraBob

Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:04 am

How would you like to have to tell a small child who lives, or once lived in an area affected by the California wildfires that there can be no Halloween this year?? Kids look forward to this day and evening. After Christmas and their birthday, Halloween would have to be next on a kid's list of favorite days (well I guess the last day of school would be up there also.) I sure enjoyed Halloween when I was a kid.
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:18 am

Oh please! Bring out the sickbags.

At its best form the notion of "trick or treat" is giving away ones money and getting no benefit in return. Oh hello human in mask and gown with pointy hat you want money so that you can compensate yourself on your pointless shenanigans?

Greetings and salutations, welcome to our department store. Give me a tip because I'm dressed in uniform and utterred some words to you  Insane Whatever.

"you knew your immature comments would have backfired onto you!"

At least you don't have to pay to read them.

"My theory is that those who want to cause trouble:"

But without some kind of mental reason to cause trouble because it's pumpkin day - they would treat it in a normal way and their brains assuming they are relatively normal - would just go about their own business and not go out of their way to contribute to the farmers for eggs.

ScarletHarlot

Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:20 am

Singapore_Air, aren't you too busy posting sexually suggestive word associations to bother with Halloween or this post?
But that was when I ruled the world

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:37 am

Maybe it got disrupted by two children who knocked on the door despite no lights fully visible from the outside except for the faint light that comes out from the top of the curtain (/ drape)

JBirdAV8r

Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:41 am

Oh God. Someone call the police....there's no telling what he did to those kids.

Just because other kids made fun of you on Halloween when you were little doesn't mean you have to ruin it for all of us  Big grin
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:43 am

I've never participated... I was enlightened from almost the beginning.

N766UA

Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:10 am

One could be watching television...

God forbid they interrupt your Matlock marathon!
This Website Censors Me

Aloha717200

Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:23 am

Singapore Air:

At its best form the notion of "trick or treat" is giving away ones money and getting no benefit in return.

I find quite a bit of benefit when bringing a joy to a child. Yes, okay, children do expect to get treats on Halloween. It's all part of the holiday. But you know what, they still smile and they're still happy when they come to your door, and I find that sparing a bit of cash in order to bring some joy, even if it's temporary, is money well spent.

Where's your sense of giving? Does it always have to be about you and you alone? Are you so worried about your cash that you can't buy a two-dollar bag of candies and give them out to kids who would appreciate them?

Come on man, you're not giving us a very good reason as to why you are so bothered by Halloween. Forgive my bluntness....to but me it just plain looks like you're selfish.

"What's in it for me?" That's your attitude. It's the wrong one to have. You should take more enjoyment in giving without asking for anything in return. Sometime a simple smile is all the repayment you need...or do you find no satisfaction in the joy that others might feel.

I'd hate to know what you think of Christmas.

USAFHummer

Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:30 am

Admittedly I was (and am) never one to participate in Halloween or associatedactivities past the age of 6 or 7 for a variety of reasons, however, this did not stop me from manning the house door throughout the evening and night and getting to see our neighbors and friends stop by to see what their costumes were, and also putting a smile on kids' faces by giving them a Crunch Bar here or a Milky Way there...completely harmless...I dont think its bad if its only 1 night a year...nothing wrong with that...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Alpha 1

Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:56 am

I've never participated... I was enlightened from almost the beginning.

Amazing, for someone who's never seen the light of an intelligent thought his whole existence on this forum.

Wake us up, Singapore Air, when you join the human race. You haven't made it yet.  Laugh out loud

IHadAPheo

Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:10 pm

The more I read his post he more I am convinced that our favorite Halloween Hater is not a 16-20- year old young man but is in fact a bitter 40 something mad at the world middle age man living with his aunt in a finnished basement.

I admit I am one of the "unenlightened ones" who trie hard to enjoy life and to show my daughter by example that you can enjoy a simple night out with family.

In all serious I am faced with the reality that life is too short to not take the time to enjoy life, I also find it interesting that some people find the need to cry about any event that lets others have fun that does not include them. could it be that there is a bad costume hiding in somones past?

Yours,
IHadAPheo (and yes my costume again was John Merrick)
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:44 pm

"Where's your sense of giving? Does it always have to be about you and you alone?"

I give to charity regularly on the street. Difference is I'm not threatened and not inconvenienced.

"do you find no satisfaction in the joy that others might feel."

Only in certain cases.

"Wake us up, Singapore Air, when you join the human race. You haven't made it yet"

I find something more human in not making threats to people of all age groups.

dragon-wings

Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:27 pm

I give to charity regularly on the street. Difference is I'm not threatened and not inconvenienced.

Your threatened by little kids coming to your house for trick or treat?  Insane
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:03 pm

I'm threatened by the fact that if I do not give away my money for no reason, as in the pure form of capital itself or as a product such as sweets, that they would throw missiles (in this case eggs for example) at the house or property which is kept outside including all foundations and flora and fauna.

rindt

Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:06 pm

He's afraid that that little 8 year old kid dressed up in his ninja-turtles costume is going to pistol-whip him and steal the massive $2.09 he has as his life-savings Big grin

Who knows... maybe he was molested by a witch when he was 2 years old? One never knows these days .

Heaven forbid you spend $5 on someone besides yourself SCROOGE.
-Rob
What other people think of you is none of your business!

Alpha 1

Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:43 am

Singapore Air, do you not realize what a blathering fool you've made yourself into with this thread? I feel sorry for you, because you obviously don't understand what people are saying to you on this one. You bitch and moan about little kids getting candy, as if they were pointing a gun to your head and demanding money. That's what you equate it to, and that's one of the most idiotic things I've ever read on here.

If you're so damn mad over how you're treated, no pun intended, then just go off and be a hermit, and you won't have to be bothered by little children who are out having fun. It's better that they don't run into a scrooge like you, who has such hatred for them and for the holiday. Just go away, and leave everyone alone, and then they'll leave you alone.

JetService

Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:50 am

I just read over this thread and I'm trying to figure out if its a joke or not.
"Shaddap you!"