Former US Airways CEO House For Sale - $12 Million

Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:42 pm

Stephen Wolf, former CEO of US Airways (and several other airlines, including Republic) has placed his Middleburg, VA home up for sale for $12 million:

http://www.thomas-talbot.com/rockhill.htm

Lufthansa

RE: Former US Airways CEO House For Sale - $12 Million

Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:06 pm

I don't understand why this is so shocking. Many CEO's are millionaires.... afterall, do we really want somebody running a big company that doesn't know how to make a buck?

Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:07 pm

I didn't say it was shocking  Smile. I just thought it (check out the pictures) was interesting!

Lufthansa

Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:18 pm

Well your right! It is certainly interesting! i'd be very happy to live there if they can't find anybody!

contrails

Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:23 pm

Yeah, those CEO's sure know how to make money. Too bad this one didn't know how to get US Airways to make money...he was certainly good at lining his own pockets.

Flying Colors Forever!

bucky707

Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:46 pm

"I don't understand why this is so shocking. Many CEO's are millionaires.... afterall, do we really want somebody running a big company that doesn't know how to make a buck?"

I want someone running my airline who knows how to make money for the airline, not make money for himself. They are two different, and sometimes contradictory, goals.

luv2fly

Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:02 pm

Contrails and Bucky707 I agree with both of you... He took everyone for a ride and it turns out he made out the best, or at least with the most money.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:23 pm

All that house, no Home Theater? What a scam.

Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:56 pm

Nothing unusual.

There are dozens of these estates in Loudoun and Fairfax counties in Virginia and in Baltimore and Montgomery counties in Maryland -- one or two owned by Senators, as a matter of fact.

The rich need someplace to live too--preferably near the federal government which bails them out occasionally. I'm totally flummoxed as to why we're being so hard on these people.  Innocent

plugger

RE: Former US Airways CEO House For Sale - $12 Mil

Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:12 am

Nice digs. Wolf did all right for himself while running UAL and USAirways into the ground. I wonder who's next on his hit list? Nothing against CEOs if they are running a tight ship. Wolf is a not one of those.

luv2fly

Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:23 am

I think Wolf will be lunching with Carl, Don and Frank these days while awaiting another airline to call him for his expertise....
You can cut the irony with a knife

desertjets

Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:14 am

That ain't one of those McMansions you find in McLean. That is a full blown estate. 144 acres, custom built place designed by a famous architect.

Though the place is probably worth more if you bulldozed everything and built a ton of McMansions on 1/2 acre lots. Anybody want to give me some startup capital?
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

MxCtrlr

Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:36 am

Hell, by airline CEO standards, Wolf is a neophyte. He pales in comparison to Lorenzo. Even Acker & Carty pale by comparison to those Emperor Frank. Acker raided two airlines (Air Florida & Pan Am) and made sure there was nothing left on the carcass for anyone else to save. Carty just screwed AA for a few years or so. Lorenzo toppled Eastern, crippled CO (twice into bankruptcy), Texas Air and one of a handful (if not the only one) who is permanently banned by the US DOT from ever being involved in running or financing an airline - for life.

Wolf is a Lorenzo wannabe (albeit, a pretty damn good one)! Rest assured that some dumb ass investment group with a shitload of money to throw away, will start up another airline and sing the praises of how great Wolf is as a CEO and leader. What a load of crap!

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

N79969

Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:55 am

Airline CEOs should be well-compensated. The job is demanding and they more often than not have attractive opportunties outside of the airline industry.

But Stephen Wolf is an exceptionally greedy man. At one point both he and Gangwal made more annually than all other US airline CEOs combined--each. He was CEO and Chairman of the Board when he ran USAirways. Talk about a massive conflict of interest.

He deserves all the criticism he gets and then some.

Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:57 am

Pales in comparison to Uncle Morris' (Nachtomi) estate in Israel "land of the chosen people."

There's a reason that the Tel Aviv flights (a.k.a. Mo's limo home) left on time at Tower Air.

BillElliott9

Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:11 am

Have to give him credit as being a great used car salesman, though: Republic, Flying Tigers, United (didn't it become "employee owned" under him?) and he tried to merge USAir with United.
You can fight without ever winning but never really win without a fight.

AIR757200

Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:23 am

Very nice house, but I don't know if I would want to live there.. it's just..to big!!

ConcordeBoy

Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:58 am

He was CEO and Chairman of the Board when he ran USAirways

Nothing new there... most USA airlines (WN being a notable exception) combine their Chairperson and CEO positions into one. Some throw in President on top of that  Big grin
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

N766UA

Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:34 am

Wolf's house?? Better call an excorsist before anyone moves in.

Or better yet, just burn it down. That house was built with money made by screwing hard working people right in the ass. Wolf is a moron.
This Website Censors Me

UAL747

Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:42 am

AA's CEO's house is down the street from my apartment in Dallas. HUGE, but BUTT ugly. However, about the above house. I'd imagine with that 12mil, you are getting all that land AND the house. The house itself is probably only worth 2-3 million, depending on its appointments inside.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way