b757300

It's The Economy Stupid. Uh, Maybe Not

Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:13 am

Well, it looks like the economy is finally recovering from the recession that started under Clinton and was reinforced by jihadist-kamikazes on Sept. 11th. Thanks to President Bush’s tax cut, the economy is finally rebounding.

- The stock market is up
- Manufacturing is up
- GDP grew by 7.2% in the third quarter
- Construction spending is up
- Consumer confidence is up
- Unemployment is beginning to fall
(Job market is always the last to recover. That’s why it is called the lagging indicator.)

I can hear the gnashing of teeth @ the DNC all the way down here in Texas. The only thing left for the Democrats is to hope and pray for more Americans to die in Iraq since that is their last possible campaign issue. Sad that one must hope Americans die in order to regain power.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/03/news/economy/ism/index.htm

http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/31/news/economy/michigan/index.htm

http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/30/news/economy/gdp/index.htm

http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/03/news/economy/construction.reut/index.htm

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/print_story.asp?print=1&guid={3CFB056B-8E19-4A2B-8EFB-730618DB5109}&siteid=bigcharts
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

cfalk

RE: It's The Economy Stupid. Uh, Maybe Not

Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:26 am

I read the other day that some Democrats were fighting to take credit for the tax cuts  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

That's just too funny.

In 1992, G.H. Bush lost the election, in spite of huge successes in foreign policy, because the economy was sucking wind.

In 2004, it looks like it will be the reverse - a tough, expensive slog overseas, but a powerful economy.

It will be interesting to see if priorities are the same.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

DC10GUY

Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:26 am

That god for Dubya. I can sure see that he is doing wonders for the airline biz.
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

mbmbos

Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:30 am

Let's see...

...recessions are caused by Democrats and recoveries are caused by Republicans.

Pretty transparent, B757300.

Oh, and by the way, the way GDP is calculated and the way unemployment is calculated has been radically revamped; and the most recently released economic numbers are a result of those smoke-and-mirror adjustments.

We may or may not been in the midst of an economic recovery. But we'll never know for sure because our present administration is comprised of a bunch of pathological liars.

"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

DC10GUY

Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:39 am

Its the war Jackass .... That's a better slogan for 2004 don't yah think ???

Sabena 690

Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:42 am

Ok, we must be very thankfull, thank you godfather Bush!! Big grin  Nuts

How many was the shortcoming again? Was it my radio, or did I hear something like... 87m dollar????

It's funny how you post a few months ago that economy goes up and down from time to time, and now it is FINALLY slightly improving under power of that idiot, it is suddenly all Clinton's fault?

Where you traumatized by anything that starts with a D in your youth? Are you born with an anti-everything not extreme right neo conservative sentiment? Just a few questions...

jaysit

Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:12 am

We had a blip 18 months ago where the GDP growth was about 5.4 %, then it dropped to less than 1/2 a percent in the next quarter. It remains to be seen if this is an indicator of better things to come and if the stock market rallies with concurrent job increases. One can only hope so.

Until then 7.8% to the unemployed is just another number.

"The only thing left for the Democrats is to hope and pray for more Americans to die in Iraq since that is their last possible campaign issue."

You are one sick puppy, considering that it was Dubya, that big draft-dodger, who sent those boys to die in the first place. The last time I checked Dems never lobbied for dead soldiers to keep the Cheneys of the world in ideological splendor. Get a grip.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

VectorVictor

Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:40 am

...FINALLY slightly improving under power of that idiot, it is suddenly all Clinton's fault?

Well it may not directly be Clinton's fault, but the tech collapse started in 1999...over 15 months before President Bush took office. If one blames Bush economic difficulties, than Clinton must shoulder the accusations as well.

Which begs the question, why are you even responding to this thread? Its gets a little tiring seeing your daily drivel all over non-aviation denoucing Bush, conservatives, USA et al.

Perhaps you should concern yourself with Belgium's annual growth rate: predicted to be a paltry 1.2% (for the year).

DC10GUY

Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:56 am

The republicans have complete control of Washington right now. Things should be economic utopia right now. Why are they still blaming Clinton & the liberal media ???

Continental

Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:58 am

Haha, we'll see. I really doubt that Bush can do us anymore good, btw DEMOs 2004! So many poor decisions produced by him, it's becoming sick. I don't understand how people could like Bush. Not talking about the economy, but I remember not too long ago Bush made a speech about how we're kicking ass in Iraq (come on, winning the war in Iraq!? No duh, Poland could do it!) and suddenly his approval rating shot up a bit. People are so dumb, it's as if he brainwashed him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

co

lehpron

Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:01 am

(Lehpron sighs)

Dude what is it with you and your issues with Democrats, huh, who cares?

Don't you get it that a majority of Democrats when they get into office act the same as Republicans? What does that tell you? It means they are all full of shit. They only act different outside Washington to get folkss like you all riled up. And for what, honestly?

Why don't you focus on the problem instead of the parties involved huh?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

vafi88

Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:04 am

Oh Great! that's why Almost everyone I know has a close relative without a job.

WooHoo!
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

KYIPpilot

Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:46 pm

Yep, economy is recovering, even though tens of thousands of workers are being laid off each month...
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

lehpron

Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:04 pm

"Sad that one must hope Americans die in order to regain power."

Yeah, tell that to Cheney with regards to 9/11...  Insane

Dont hold your breath, though I know you'll go off on this without any basis whatsoever, other than anger, which is more than enough for you.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

BlatantEcho

Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:13 pm

I'm pretty sure you guys don't know anything about economics.

Seriously, this is like listening to a kindergarden debate.

George
They're not handing trophies out today

vafi88

Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:22 pm

Ok the George, why don't you teach us all children a thing or two about economics?
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

N79969

Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:38 pm

To take it to its simplest form, Clinton handed over a shrinking economy to GWB and now maybe, just maybe the economy is growing again. If the 4Q of this year is also positive, then Bush can credibly argue that the inflection point occured under his watch and attempt to take credit.

Personally, I would not give GWB's policy too much credit for a rebound. Sure his tax cut helped but I think (without having built an econometric model) that most of any recovery will be attributed to the normal business cycle.

Given Tom Daschle's hysterics about the economy earlier this year, he should eat crow. (He won't). And so should Paul Krugman for his incessant whining in the NYTimes.

When firms do start hiring again, the democrats will almost surely point out that the jobs pay less than those jobs 'created' under Clinton's watch. The truth is that Clinton presided over an unsustainable bubble economy. Dot com startups were paying fresh-out-of school liberal arts graduate with no real skills $70K plus stock options for drooling on themselves. Those good ol' days thankfully will not be back anytime soon. The next time college grads are making $70K fresh out of school, they will actually be worth it.

[Edited 2003-11-04 05:38:44]

[Edited 2003-11-04 05:40:26]