POSITIVE RATE

Leonid Meteors On Nov 17

Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:59 pm

From spaceweather.com

"The Leonid meteor shower will be making an appearance on Nov 17, 2003, and it might be an impressive show. These meteors are the minute dust trails of Comet Tempel-Tuttle which flash in the sky as they strike Earth's upper atmosphere. In past years the shower has been impressive- sometimes 1,000's of meteors per hour have been seen(2001). Astronomers are unsure how intense the shower will be this year, it could be anywhere from 2 per hour to anything up to 200-300 per hour. Best views will be from Europe, but the rest of the world will still get a show if you watch the skies after local midnight."

lehpron

RE: Leonid Meteors On Nov 17

Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:09 pm

Wasn't it a "leonid meteor" that hit the Caspian mountains on Earth in the movie Final Fantasy?

Hmm.

I am in the south western US on a mountain city 5500 feet aboce sealevel, can I see them or am I already too far?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

BO__einG

Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:15 pm

I was out for last years Leonid showers and it was sorely dissapointing.
Despite the fact that our planet ran directly into a fresh dust trail from the comet the full moon messed everything up. 4am and I see only 2 meteorites.. Great way to be late for classes.
Follow @kimbo_snaps on Instagram or bokimon- on Flickr to see more pics of me and my travels.

POSITIVE RATE

Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:15 pm

Lephron you should be able to see them if it's clear yep. The thing with the Leonids is predictions can be way out. 1998 was really hyped up by the media and it flopped, so did '99 and 2000. 2001 was spectacular, 2002 i missed it(overcast) and this year who knows. It's worth getting up for an hour or so just in case it turns out to be good.