Like Father, Like Son!

Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:57 am

Yesterday, as per every early Sunday morning, I found myself perusing the
weekend newspaper (In Canada, we have a splendid publication entitled,
"The Globe And Mail") with some delicious coffee. Anyway, I sat there on my couch, reading the paper, and suddenly, for the first time, I noticed I was:

a). Periodically stirring my coffee with a spoon as I read the paper.
b). Rustling the coins in my pocket as I read.
c). When a story would grab my interest, or angered me, I would stop in the
middle of reading, stand and go to my living room window, coffee in hand,
and stare out, pondering the article, then return to it.

And then it hit me......this is EXACTLY what my dear ole dad did when he himself perused the paper! It freaked me out. I suppose there comes a time in every guys life (most guys, anyway) when they suddenly find themselves repeating mannerisms/habits or the speech of their father or mother. I myself must have been doing the above for months, maybe even a couple of years, only I never realized I was mirroring my dad.

When I shave, I bring my coffee mug and rest it on the far edge of the sink, taking sips whilst shaving.......just like dad. I don't know when I started doing this....oh man!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

A short while ago, I was babysitting my two nephews, aged 10 and 8. There were at my home, and I walked in on them as they were watching a violent crime-drama show on TV. I walked over to the TV, asking, "Is this the best we can do, boys?" I turned the channel to the Disney Channel, looked them straight in the eye and said, "Now, boys, this is more like it, wouldn't you agree?". Then....I kid you not, I had an internal freakout, as I realized this was EXACTLY what my dad did when my brothers and I (as kids) would be watching something we were not allowed to watch on TV

Also, I recently noticed (about myself) that when speaking with a person, and they are either annoying or boring me, I will gently rub my left eyebrow with my left index finger and stare the person in the eye.......exactly as my father did. Man, I'm tellin ya, this too freaked me when I realized I was doing this. Don't get me wrong, I loved my dad very much, and respected him
very very much, suddenly realize time is going by, and I myself in my teens (especially) and early 20's strove to be as different from my dad as I could be....and now....LOL! It just blows me away to think I now possess many of the same characteristics as an adult as my dad did. Once I settled down from my freak-out, I found it rather comforting......I think!

I know this is nothing...but at the same time.......

What's next? Watching Golf on TV on Sunday afternoons? I hate Golf!

RE: Like Father, Like Son!

Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:11 am

Reminds me of a poster one of my female friends has in her office -

Mirror, mirror, on the wall; I am my mother after all!
Cada loco con su tema...

RE: Like Father, Like Son!

Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:53 am

The only thing I did like my father is smoke. Even that I didn't get right: he was Winstons and I was Kools. One year, no smoking for me; two and a half years without smoking for him, but he is six feet under....

The only thing I really do like either of my parents is eat when I am on holiday. Neither of them like hockey, neither of them like the city....

Patriotic and Proud Liberal