Matt D
Topic Author

Encouragment Needed: My Father Is Very Ill

Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:00 pm

I've been extremely busy lately, hence my absence on the board.

Anywa, I didn't want to say anything originally, but now, I can use whatever prayers, thoughts, or support I can get.

For the last 12 days or so, my father has been in the hospital.

Before, he was complaining about having a headache that he could not get rid of. Then one morning, he got up and was disoriented, seeing double, and could not stand.

So he had his neighbor rush him to the emergency room.

at first it was thought that he was having a stroke.

But that turned out not to be the case.

After a spinal tap, a CAT scan, and an MRI, he was determined to have come down with a severe case of meningitis.

They installed a catheter in his arm, where he will have to administer antibiotics for the next two months or so.

He has been doing so-so this last week. Originally, he was to be released as soon as he went 24 hours without a headache OR fever.

A second spinal tap was done to check the progression of the illness.

Well, it appears now that he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

The results of his first tap revealed a white cell count of 80.

The one he did on Sunday revealed a white cell count of 200.

Apparently, a normal healthy person should have a white cell count of 5 or less.

So not only has he NOT recovered, but he has gotten worse. A second MRI for today has been ordered. He hasn't been responding to the antibiotics that they have been giving him. So now, they have to give him another kind (the name escapes me at the moment).

Unfortunately, he's allergic to it. But he has no choice.

The doctors still aren't sure how he got it. He's frustrated because he's not getting better, and wants to go home. I'm upset at the whole thing, him being my father and all.

In the meantime, I've been going to his house every couple of days, checking on things, getting his mail, feeding the cat, and paying his bills so that they don't go delinquent.

I've also been visiting him as much as I could. I've even smuggled in cigarettes, Double-Doubles from In-N-Out, bacon and eggs, and pancakes (his cholesterol, at last check was only 161-which for a 55 year old man, is pretty damn good).

I'm really worried, and I'm asking for any words of support, encouragement, or prayers from anyone who cares.

This is a really difficult time for me and him, especially since I am his only child.

Thank you

Matt

KROC

RE: Encouragment Needed: My Father Is Very Ill

Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:14 pm

Matt, very sorry to hear your father hasn't gotten any better. My thoughts and best wishes are with you and your dad in this rough time.

HOMER71

Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:18 pm

You have our thoughts and prayers...hope he can pull through.
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

JetService

Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:42 pm

Matt, I know what you're going through! Its such a scary time. You and your pop are definately in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he has a full recovery!
"Shaddap you!"

ryanb741

Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:46 pm

My very best wishes go to you and your father at this time, and I sincerely hope you can find the strength to cope in these very difficult circumstances.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

jaysit

Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:56 pm

Matt - your dad seems like he will pull through. The meningitis was caught early. A good friend was in the same predicament and he survived. I'll throw a penny in the wishing well, and hopefully dad can go home to his cat who is probably hoping for his return.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Alpha 1

Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:00 am

Matt, all the prayers to your father. I'd want prayers for me vis-a-vis my dad, as I think he's the greatest guy in th world, so I'm behind you 100%. I'm sure he'll make it ,and if our thoughts and prayers help they're there.

Sabena332

Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:00 am

Matt, best wishes to you and your father, I hope he will recover very soon!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

jcs17

Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:04 am

My thoughts and best wishes are with you and your father.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

saintsman

Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:06 am

The hardest thing to do is not to worry. If you look worried (and I know you will be) your father will be worried for you and he doesn't need that at this time. Worrying does not help but a positive state of mind does. Being positive is also infectious and that will rub off on your father and help him with his battle. Just by realising that you are not alone gives a person additional strength and when you are seriously ill you need all the help you can get.

Good luck.

LoneStarMike

Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:18 am

It's great that you are able to do all of those things for him and that you're visiting him a lot.

As far as encouragement goes, my advice would be to have a positive attitude (especially when you're around him) and don't EVER give up hope.

I went through something similar this Spring. My 97 year old maternal grandmother in Dallas was found semi-concious in her apartment at the retirement home where she lives. She had pnuemonia and a bladder infection.

A lady I met on the Southwest flight up to DAL befriended me and gave me a ride to the hospital when we got to DAL. She told me not to expect my grandmother to live being that old and with pnuemonia.

Anyway, my grandmother had to go to the hospital for a week and then to a nursing home for a month for some rehab. (She'd become so weak she really couldn't walk.) Except for me and her son who no longer speaks to her, she has no relatives.

For 6 weeks I flew back and forth between AUS-DAL. I was in AUS for the weekends, but in Dallas during the week when she was getting her therapy. I was there every day she had therapy and was like her cheerleader -- encouraging her, watching her, making sure she did her excercises right, paying her bills like you are for your dad, etc.

Long story short she recovered and got to finally go home. Yesterday marked 7 months since she's been home and she's actually better now than she was before she got sick. I've been back to stay with her a few days in September and I'll be going again the day after Thanksgiving.

She's hard of hearing and can get a little cranky sometimes and there were times I wanted to pull my hair out  Smile but looking back, I'm so glad I made the effort and she is too.

So in conclusion, spend as much time as you can with him, project a positive attitude, and the most important thing is to take care of YOURSELF. Don't let yourself get run down. Take a break if you have to. (I did on the weekends.) If you don't take care of yourself, then you won't be able to help him.

Good luck to you and I'll keep you and your dad in my thoughts and prayers.

LoneStarMike

sleekjet

Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:02 am

Matt: I've been through similar circumstances and you have my sympathies. I will add you and your dad to my prayer list.
II Cor. 4:17-18

yyz717

Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:31 am

Matt, add my wishes to the list. I hope your Dad recovers soon.

Neil
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

KYIPpilot

Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:54 am

Matt, I hope your dad recovers quickly. With good strong attitude and your encouragement, he will make it ok. I will say a prayer for him. Good Luck!
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

777236ER

Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:28 am

Good luck Matt - for what it's worth you even have people across the pond hoping he gets better.
Your bone's got a little machine

N6376M

Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:35 am

Matt,

My prayers are with you and your family during what is certainly a difficult time. Though we live all our lives with our parents taking care of us, it's always hard when the time come to reverse the roles.

-76M

kilavoud

Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:49 am

Hi Matt D,

It is very nice that you take care of your father and I must say that I am favorably impressed. But do not forget to take care of you and of your own health. All the best. Sincerely. Kilavoud.

Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:55 am

Matt,

Please accept my sincere sympathy and prayers in regards to your dear father and what you and your family are going through. I lost my beloved dad in 1993, and I know only two well the emotions you are feeling.

Kind regards,
Canadi>nBoy

AirT85

Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:55 am

I second what Kilavoud added.

You and your father are both in prayers. Hang in there, man  Smile

-Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

IHadAPheo

Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:58 am

Matt I wish both you and your dad good luck with his fighting meningitis, I know this is a tough time for both of you but he is inthe best place for his illness and hopefully the treatment is starting to take hold and you will soon see improvement. Best of luck and keep us updated as to his condition if you have time. I will keep you both in my thoughts.

Yours,
IHadAPheo
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

EA CO AS

Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:06 am

Matt,

We're all in your corner. The best advice I can give has already been given; maintain a positive, cheerful attitude for your dad. Your faith in his recovery will help him immensely. I'll keep you both in my prayers though.

Best regards,

Robb
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:25 am

Matt,

I will keep you in my prayers and wish you and your family all the best. Keep your head up, remain positive and surround yourself with friends and family.

CanyonBlue

fly727

Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:37 am

What else could I say to you? My very best wishes and prayers for you and your daddy. I really hope from the bottom of my heart that he recovers. I went through something similar less than two years ago with my brother... and I know the hell you're living. It was sad, very sad and hard, but I'm still here and so are you. More mature, stronger; a better person.

Que Dios te bendiga -as we, south of the river- say.
RM  Big grin
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

Tom in NO

Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:42 am

Matt,

Add me to those sending out thoughts and prayers to your dad and you. Stay positive, and keep working in those double-double's.  Smile

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Matt D
Topic Author

Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:44 am

Thank you all for support. I know we all sometimes spar and tear at each other in here, and joke around and stuff. But times like this I really appreciate your kind words.

Usairwys757

Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:57 am

My Prayers are with you and your family Matt, Good luck with these hard times man!

MY prayers are with you.
Inactive.....

aa61hvy

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:00 am

We're with you Matt!
All the way
Go big or go home

ctbarnes

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:30 am

Absolutely Matt! My prayers are with you and your dad! Keep those double-doubles, bacon and eggs coming. That's probably the best thing (second only to your being there, of course) to keep his spirits up.

Make sure you keep your spirits up, and make sure you get some space to process what's happening. Keep us posted and hope he responds to the antibitoics.

Take care,

Charles, SJ

PS: If you get caught with the goods by your dad's nurse, I know for a fact bribery with a milkshake can work wonders  Big grin

The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

MidnightMike

RE: Encouragement Needed: My Father Is Very Ill

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:34 am

Matt

My prayers go out to you big guy, right now, your father needs your strength, & your smile, not your tears and misery. Keep your chin up, keep thinking positive thoughts....

Mike
NO URLS in signature

emiratesa345

Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:45 am

By the sounds of it, you're doing a good job. Make sure you stay positive, and don't give up hope! I'm sure he'll pull through!

EmiratesA345  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

GDB

RE: Encouragement Needed: My Father Is Very Ill

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:04 am

Best wishes to you and your Dad, as Jaysit said, they caught it early and that's a huge positive.

Antibiotics are in a way victims of their own success over the previous decades, but they'll get to one(s) that do the trick in time, it's a cliche I know, when people say 'don't worry, they can perform miracles these days', but there is much that is true in that statement.
And as has been said too, he IS in the best place, that he's missing home even now, and all the routines of everyday life, is also such a good sign, the right frame of mind to be sure.

My own Father died in 1997, aged 64.
In 1980 he contracted Multiple Secrosis, typically for him, he was determined to keep on working, keep on driving, he would not have been able to do his job as an engineer, but his factory soon closed (Hoover in West London), so he threw himself into a clerical job with the Civil Service, which he was able to do until 1988.
At this point he could no longer drive, but he joined a local support group which provided advice, social evenings and holidays.
And many real friendships.
However, this illness is relentless, and he became very ill in 1997, it was a very aggressive stomach cancer, and he was of course now much weakened by the MS.
But the hospital made him as comfortable as they could, though weak and heavily medicated, he could still make a witty remark or two.
Inevitably he passed away, peacefully, in the early hours of the 9th September.

A tough time of course, but amongst all the sympathy cards were some from those who had only known him briefly at the civil service 10 or 15 years before, saying what a great guy and an inspiration he was to them.
As for my Mother, she still keeps in touch with the MS support group, socially and in fund raising.

But I'm sure your father will recover, and when he does, he'll take something positive from all this.

I found this myself, in late 1999 I started getting pain, sometimes in my legs, sometimes my arms.
By Christmas it was getting frequent, and worse, I now had to tell my family, who of course told me to get to the doctor.
After a battery of tests, all OK, normal even. I was told to rest as I may have a virus.
But the early months of 2000 found me getting worse, then some swelling in my fingers and knees, now they had something to go on.
A spell in hospital confirmed what was suspected, Rheumatoid Arthritis.
So a host of medication, advice, exercises, hydro-treatment
But luckily for me, they had caught it early.

Any self pity I may have had soon went when I saw less lucky sufferers, those who got it very young, or more aggressively, or who had problems with medication, or who got it years ago when medication was much less effective than now, so had suffered permanent damage.

The drugs and other treatments started to work, by March, just before hospital, I could barely walk, by April I was back at work on reduced hours, I had kept working, on reduced hours and light duties up until late Febuary, but it was tough and my workmates were clearly concerned as I got worse in my movements.
By May I was walking pretty normally, one day I was feeling particularly confident, I walked in the hangar and some workmates commented how I was walking so much better now, so I said "watch this"
Our crew room and control centre was up two flights of stairs, I had always run up them before getting sick, and today I did so again, easily.
My colleagues cheered, I was so happy, so relieved, so thankful for all the support, I went to the (thankfully) empty crewroom and wept.

That's what I mean by taking something positive from this sort of experience.

Today, I'm fine nearly all of the time, do what pretty much what I used to before, flare ups are getting more rare (many months apart), and of far less effect than in the past.
Only change is really having to be teetotal, alcohol does not mix with the medication I'm using, a small price to pay.
I had learned that I had more determination than I would have thought before.

It will be the same for your father when he is fit and well again, he will bounce back, and your support (which you are certainly giving him) will be a big part of it.
Easy to type on a keyboard to 'be strong', but it's true.
Keep us posted, and again, the very best wishes to your dad for a full recovery.
Hang in there for him.

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:15 am

My grandmother, who is in her 80s, had a terrible case of bacterial meningitis last year. It began after a fall that cracked her skull. It wasn't a serious injury, but it allowed bacteria from her sinus cavity to enter her cranial cavity. Within a few days, she suddenly became delirious, suffered extreme headaches, and was on the verge of losing her consciousness. At first, neiher we nor the doctors didn't know what was wrong with her. Considering her age and heart condition, we were almost sure she wouldn't make it. However, after our repeated interventions (after a suggestion by another doctor), the doctors did finally perform a spinal tap and discovered that it was meningitis. The antibiotics did the trick and she was, amazingly, talking to us and feeling much better the very next morning

Never lose hope, even if the antibotics aren't responding just yet (there are many kinds), and make sure that the doctors do everything they can.

I believe your father will make it; if he's conscious and aware of himself, that's a wonderful sign.

When this happened to my elderly grandmother, it was the worst day of my life. I can't image how you must feel with your father going through all this. Be brave. We're all with you in our thoughts!

UN_B732

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:55 am

Matt D.
My prayers are with your dad.
-UN
What now?

Greg

Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:25 am

Despite our forum differences, my best to your father, you, and your family.
My hopes for a full and fast recovery.
Greg/

DaV

Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:35 am

Hi Matt,

for what my words are worth, don't give up and continuously give your support to your father. You can't be wrong on this.

My best wishes to both of you, I sincerely hope he'll get well soon.

DaV

Two monologues do not make a dialogue

Superfly

Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:15 am

Best wishes to your father Matt D.

He will pull through this. The best thing you could do is be there for him. I don't know too much about meningitis but I know of two people in the family that had it and survived.

Bring back the Concorde

174thfwff

Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:35 am

Matt,

As a person who is on the medical side of things, it never get easier for both the doctors and patient/family. I know the doctors are doing their best but sometimes these kind of things take time.

I wish your father the best of luck.

-John Patrick
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

redngold

Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:38 am

Matt,

I just said a prayer for you and your father, and most importantly, for the doctors treating him!

While that white cell count is obviously high, it also means his body is fighting the infection. Hopefully the antibiotics will be just the boost he needs.

Blessings,
Liz
Up, up and away!

Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:00 pm

I wish to send your father our best wishes and our prayers.
No words are good enough when people hurt.
From far away... but we are close -
(s) Skipper

mirrodie

Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:17 pm

Hey Matt, we are so sorry to hear what you have been going through.
Keep your head up and keep keepin' your dad in the best of spirits.

We are praying for you and your family.

All the best, Mario 'n S.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

covert

Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:00 pm

Matt D

I have been away, but I hope for the best for your pops. I got him in my prayers.

covert
none

MSYtristar

Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:05 pm

Matt,

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I am going through a tough time right now as well with my Aunt having a stroke...prognosis is not good at all...so I can relate to how you are feeling.

I wish your father a quick and speedy recovery.