SSTjumbo
Topic Author

Severe Storm Forecast For Next Year?

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:01 am

Simple question, does anyone know what forecasters are predicting as far as severe weather during the next spring and summer? This previous one was incredible up in Chicago as there was at least one bout of supercells a week, except I was always in the wrong place at the wrong time to see anything significant. Perhaps this next summer I can finally see a tornado for once Big grin.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

UPSfueler

RE: Severe Storm Forecast For Next Year?

Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:05 am

Yeah, this past summer in the ORD area was pretty bad for storms. Like mentioned at least one major storm a week, sometimes even 2 or 3. Hopefully the winter wont be snow storms of that scale once a week.

tbar220

Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:23 am

Nothing yet on the forecast for severe weather for spring and summer. The climate prediction center and the NOAA came out with their predictions for the winter weather forecasts. If you're interested in that, take a look.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2003/s2100.htm
Oct. 16, 2003

I'll keep digging for any predictions of severe weather that you're interested in.
NO URLS in signature

tbar220

Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:26 am

I found something that gives climate predictions for that time, but no predictions for severe weather. It is nearly impossible to make predictions of severe weather because the thunderstorms that produce them are on a mesoscale level, which is alread hard enough to predict in the short term.

Here's the climate outlooks for the next 12.5 months.
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/30day/

NO URLS in signature

JetService

Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:35 am

SSTjumbo, you sound exactly like me. When a nasty storm is approaching and it misses us, I'm disappointed. I absolutely love severe weather. But I have to tell you, two summers ago, I saw my first tornado and it scared the $h!t out of me. I actually feared for my life because the thing was two blocks away and I had to run upstairs to save my son's hamster (the family was all already in the basement). Anyway, I no longer care to ever be close to a tornado again. That sucked!
"Shaddap you!"

BR715-A1-30

Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:41 am

ATL got its fair share of thunderstorms this past spring and summer. Hopefully it will be a drought next year making for good spotting conditions.
Puhdiddle

KYIPpilot

Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:44 pm

This past spring and summer in the DTW area was pretty calm, not very much severe weather at all. Maybe we are in for a wild summer in '04...
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield