racko

Revolution In Georgia?!

Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:55 pm

Live on the news stations now, the opposition has stormed the parliament in Georgia. Looks very tough for Shevardnadze now...

kolobokman

RE: Revolution In Georgia?!

Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:26 am

Well, finally Shevardnadzes time has come!
I can neither confirm, nor deny above post

racko

Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:06 am

Apparently Shevardnadze has finally resigned and the TV showed pictures of a government plane starting up and starting to taxi. It's unknown where Shevardnadze will search political asylum. Plane looked like a Tu-154.

kolobokman

Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:12 am

Well, when asked where he is going he replied: Home to start working on my memuars.
I can neither confirm, nor deny above post

maiznblu_757

Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:45 am

There will be when Georgia Tech upsets Georgia this week, thats for damn sure.

Sonic

Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:27 am

Shevarnadze in my opinion did nothing much worse than other leaders of most of former Soviet states. Look to Turkmenistan and what is going there in particular, but also other countries. No former Soviet state built a true western democracy, except probably Baltic States (Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia), but with the current happenings here (opposition tries to get rid of President by throwing compromat (in most cases having nothing to do with President) and other kinds of meaningless propaganda) I already start to doubt this.

It is interesting how situation in Abkhasia, Ajaria and South Osettia will end. Russia was succesfully colonised South Ossetia and to a lesser extent Abkhasia (Roubles as currency, etc.), while Ajaria was de facto independent. What will new government do about these issues? Somehow I feel that Russia played a part in influencing this 'revolution' - they had certain issues with Georgia (Pankis hills apart from already mentioned) and Georgia wanted to join NATO, this way changing the geopolitical situation of the region. We will see if the new government (one which will come after next elections to be held after 1,5 month) will continue this integration or turn back to Russia. If the latter will happen, it will be quite guranted that Russia influenced (not saying that fully organised) this.

Shevarnadze by the way decided to remain in Georgia, although Germany offered assylum.

OD720

Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:26 pm

Very well put Sonic.

It's interesting that there was no violence, just peaceful transformation of power unlike in many other 3rd world countries. Credit to Shevernadze and the opposition.

A similar tranformation of power happened in Armenia, I think in 1997. The president resigned there and new elections were held.

Good luck Georgia.

NoUFO

Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:22 pm

Shevardnadze is in Germany, Spiegel Online http://www.spiegel.de/ reports.

Shevardnadze has his merits in unifying Germany and it's likely that this country will grant him asylum or something similar to asylum.
I support the right to arm bears

Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:04 am

Who would have thought changing the name from Hartsfield to Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport would cause so much civil unrest in Georgia.. Oh you meant the other Georgia.