windshear

A Warning From Al Qaeda...

Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:22 am

This was from debka's website...www.debka.com...
Just to add to our discussions lately, this is just to let you know a possible future...
Hope this is nothing but...

"Monday, November 24, Al Qaeda marked Eid al Fitr, the festival closing the Muslim festival of Ramadan, with a dramatic warning. DEBKAfile’s counter-terror sources reports that a message published over al Qaeda’s electronic channels and websites declared that the countdown has begun for the biggest operation ever carried out in the United States. “The big blow will fall very shortly. It will consist of a series of surprise attacks that will cut America off from communication with its armies in Muslim countries.” The reference is clearly to US troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The largest number, around 115,000 soldiers, is present in Iraq.

Muslims living in the United States are urged to “take advantage of the short time left” to escape the country and harm’s way.

Some of the messages say that a new Osama bin Laden videotape will soon be out. It will also carry statements by al Qaeda members who executed the last suicide attacks in Saudi Arabia and adherents who died in clashes with Saudi security. They will be shown describing how they were prepared for action. Bin Laden will intersperse these cuts with comments explaining the selection of Saudi targets.

DEBKAfile’s counter-terror sources report that some of the new messages are signed by Abu Assam al Yamani, who also threatens to murder Abdul Rahman Rashid, editor of the Saudi London-based paper Sharq al Awsat. Al Yamani says the al Qaeda passed sentence of death against the editor because he not only met President George W. Bush in the British capital last week but interviewed him and appeared with the president in a joint photo."
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

aa61hvy

RE: A Warning From Al Qaeda...

Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:44 am

Has the Muslim community formally spoke out against these extremists?
Go big or go home

windshear

Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:50 am

Lets see if Ossama releases a new music video...Then we can see how the Muslim world reacts...

I don't know if they care, jubilate or condemn such threats...

Boaz...

b757300

Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:24 am

First of all, this is from Debka. 98% of their stories are on the level of the Weekly World News so be skeptical anything they say.

As for this "threat", I say "Another one?" I think this is the third or fourth in the last month alone. They keep saying something will happen during "RamaBomb" and all they've been able to do is blow up fellow Muslims in the Middle East.

Seems like Al-Qaeda doesn't have much power projection ability left so they have to blow up people in their "backyard".
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

windshear

Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:39 am

Watch out for what you deny!

I read a warning for terror attacks in Turkey last Wednesday and we all know what happened the following day...

They have very good intelligence...

Boaz...

artsyman

Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:09 am

Oddly enough, as much as Debka file is clearly very one-sided, virtuallly everything they have reported has happened most or less when they said it would. So propaganda or not, I now tend to give it a little creedance when it comes to predictions. Lastly, this current threat is now making the rounds on the major news channels also.

Jeremy

windshear

Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:33 am

Jeremy I think we started out the same...

My father recommended Debka, I took one look at it, but said that it was a propaganda site, but as I read more and more as time went on, I realized how far in advance information was posted, also predicted events...

For instance the UN report that stated, that Al Qaeda are going to use Chemical or Bio weapons as soon as possible...
It took almost a week before CNN posted it on their newsbar...

Boaz...

bobrayner

Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:03 am

Yes, of course it has.

Next question?

Cunning linguist

scottysair

Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:18 am

Yeah, can you please have of the your next question? Is that possible warning for Al Qaeda to trying enter at United States or something else with the another country? You really need to be very carefully to keep bad guys off of their plane and ours country, too.

Aloha717200

Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:23 am

Bring the bastards on. I hope the US fries their sorry asses. Sons of bitches with no regard for human life.  Angry

I am talking about the terrorists only, before someone starts screaming at me.

Alpha 1

Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:33 am

Aloha717200, stop quoting Geroge W. Bush. What? Have not enough Americans died in the last few months for you?

When Bush said what you did, the Iraqi insurgency complied, didn't they?

People trying to show how big their testicles are.....

Aloha717200

Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:37 am

I'm not quoting Bush. I'm speaking how I feel. I'm pissed off at them. I'm sick of their utter disregard for human life. Can you blame me?

I'm not a Bush supporter at all.

Alpha 1

Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:40 am

You virtually quoted Bush word for word, when asked a few months back about the Iraqi insurgency. He said the same thing. They don't need any encouragement, trust me.

QANTASforever

Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:45 am

...It will consist of a series of surprise attacks...

They are warning us about surprise attacks now? Geez - looks like we're making progress - they couldn't organise a look out the window!

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

lehpron

Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:51 am

"Some of the messages say that a new Osama bin Laden videotape will soon be out."

He was killed on the third day of the Afganistan storm with a cruise missile! Why are they stretching this war if the f*cker is dead!? What about the other 12 under Saddam, where thay at?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

Aloha717200

Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:51 am

I didn't know he had said that. I'd heard that Bush had said "Bring it on" but my post wasnt intended to copy his words.

I'm just pissed off at their threats. I'd like to see them try to enter a western nation and have every one of them captured as soon as they landed on ours or one of our allies' soil. But I'm scared to death of what they could do if they got into a country undetected. The only way we can find them is if they come out of the woodwork. And when they do we need to be prepared. I hope the US, and every other country in the world, keeps their eyes open.

If we ever captured Osama, I wonder what his punishment would be. The death penalty would make him a martyr, life in prison would inspire other terrorists to try and break him out, perhaps it's best we dont know what his fate would be.

Aloha717200

Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:52 am

He was killed on the third day of the Afganistan storm with a cruise missile!

No, he wasn't. He's still alive.

WorldVoyager

Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:01 am

What do you mean by the "Muslim community"? There is no single homogeneous Muslim group headed by any sole, specific hierachy so it is not possible for such an "official" statement. But yes, obviously, many Muslims have spoken out against extremists.

windshear

Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:33 am

Worldvoyager...

Well yes and no...
They have communities in the west and they have religious leaders in every country, most of whom encourage hatred and the visions of Osama...

So this is a problem, and a very appropriate question!

Also Lehpron, here have you heard that Osama has been killed?
Or is it just a mean for us to shut up?
There was tapes of him commenting the up to date news from December of 2001, many days after the war in Afghanistan started...

Boaz...

bobrayner

Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:17 am

They have communities in the west and they have religious leaders in every country, most of whom encourage hatred and the visions of Osama...

Really? Who are all these hatred-inciting Muslim community leaders in the West?

Maybe the few that I know - who are very critical of terrorism - are all in a minority. That must be quite a coincidence.

Even more strangely, none of my Muslim friends and colleagues want to blow themselves up in public places, or push Israel into the Mediterranean, or burn Bush at the stake. Maybe I've been associating with another tiny, unrepresentative minority.
Cunning linguist

cicadajet

Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:17 am

I fear this report may indeed be dreadful news.

Seems to me the US is far too vulnerable and has not got the job done with regard to Al Quida.

Hope I am wrong.

Alpha 1

Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:24 pm

If we ever captured Osama, I wonder what his punishment would be.

I'd love to put him in a cage, with just bars to protection, and, beginning by Ground Zero, parade him for one year around the US like the animal he is, for people to spit at and curse at, and whatever. Then, you put him in solitary on a starvation in a 5x5 cell above the artic circle, and see how long he can hack it. Then when he dies, you put him in a batch of concrete, and make him the cornerstone for the new WTC.

That sounds good to me.

JAL777

Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:27 pm

Then when he dies, you put him in a batch of concrete, and make him the cornerstone for the new WTC.

Oooooooo!!! Can we make it a glass brick so we can see him for ever and ever?

Aloha717200

Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:27 pm

I'd like to see them tie a rope around his legs, and suspend him upside down in the middle of Times Square, and lower him little by little each day, till he's within arm's reach of the new yorkers, who will henceforth have their way with him. Big grin

Either that, or some karmic justice: Give him a sex change operation, and then send him to prison to become Bubba's Bitch. Big grin

JAL777

Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:29 pm

Give him a sex change operation, and then send him to prison to become Bubba's Bitch.

He'll be Bubba's Bitch either way.  Big grin

airplay

Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:43 pm

Wouldn't that imply some sort of ownership or obligation to al Qaeda? Do Christians formally speak out against violence in northern Ireland? Do Italians have to answer to Mafia slayings?

Al Qaeda is a terrorist group that just happens to have a great deal of Muslims in its ranks. Not all that surprising considering the region the organisation is based. Just like the KKK "believes in America as a Christian nation". Do Christians have to continuously apologize on their behalf?

The statement is inappropriate and potentially offensive in my opinion. It detracts from the nature of Al Qaeda and promotes hate of Muslims.

Marco

Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:24 pm

Just like the KKK "believes in America as a Christian nation". Do Christians have to continuously apologize on their behalf?

No but Christian extremism and violence is condemned by most Christians, Churches, etc...

And Christian extremism is not threatening world stability, from Turkey to Indonesia, to Iraq, Chechnya, etc...
Proud to be an Assyrian!

airplay

Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:45 pm

No but Christian extremism and violence is condemned by most Christians, Churches, etc...

Right. But you don't see anyone asking Christians directly to apologize for the KKK. Because some Christians don't want to take ownership of the KKK.

And Christian extremism is not threatening world stability, from Turkey to Indonesia, to Iraq, Chechnya, etc...

And Christian related activism isn't capable of "threatening world stability"? Arguably, the Christian faith shares responsibilty for much of the instability of the world today. Beyond Northern Ireland, there were the "Crusades". How about the Spanish Inquisition? How about the forced reform of conquered American tribes and other peoples around the world? Do we search for apologies from Christians for these abominable acts? No. I don't think its appropriate.

Missionaries continue to "spread the word" by offering to help build infrastructure in developing countries with one catch...the population must submit to the Christian faith and foresake their culture.

Is the Christian faith bad? Not fundamentaly. But Chrisians (and Mr. Bush) seem to have a bad habit of forcing people to see things their way and then refusing to allow the converted to integrate with the mainstream completely, leaving them confused, lost and bitter.

artsyman

Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:18 pm

Al Qaeda is a terrorist group that just happens to have a great deal of Muslims in its ranks. Not all that surprising considering the region the organisation is based.

Not quite, they do all of their acts in the name of Islam and the clerics continue to imply that it is the the calling of Islam for these people to go ahead and kill everything they can. If they just commited acts of terror and as a coincidence were Muslims, then your point would be true, but in most cases, Islam is the cause, the reason, the belief and the motivation

shmucks
Jeremy

cicadajet

Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:00 pm

<< Al Qaeda is a terrorist group that just happens to have a great deal of Muslims in its ranks >>

Are you for real?

I guess this is what happens when the US President insists on fighting an "ISM" and talks about "evil doers".

Al Queda is an organization of *ISLAMIC* Maniacs that enjoys widespread support.

artsyman

Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:17 pm

Do you also know that the first few pages of the Al Queda training manual, it states "One of the most important and efficient ways to disable and destroy your enemy is by the spreading of lies and misinformation about them"

Sad thing is, this what they have been doing and and for the most part, people are lapping it up as if they were all true.

covert

Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:29 pm

As others have said, the Ummah is not the Catholic Church. Our only organised leader is God.

I, for one, know many Muslims, and not a single one is a party to any kind of violent threat, especially in this month of Ramadan where any kind of hostility will invalidate our fast. All of our local mosques have had discussions about these kinds of things, and certainly do not think these Al-Aqeda threats are something to brag to or look up to.

Okay, I condemn them too as a Muslim. Does that answer your basic question AA61hvy?

Not quite, they do all of their acts in the name of Islam and the clerics continue to imply that it is the the calling of Islam for these people to go ahead and kill everything they can. If they just commited acts of terror and as a coincidence were Muslims, then your point would be true, but in most cases, Islam is the cause, the reason, the belief and the motivation

Al Queda is an organization of *ISLAMIC* Maniacs that enjoys widespread support.

Many non-Muslims believe that Al-Queda and other militants are the "pope" of the Islamic religion or hold some kind of ministerial positions in Islam due to the persistance of their drive to destroy Americans and those whom do not believe in what they believe; recently even Muslims.

Your statement, Artysman, is argumentative as I'm pretty sure your sole impression of Islam is that of what you see on tv, burning buildings and suicide bombs and propaganda (which is very succesful, by the way) from the American media to portray their killings of Americans and other westerners aiding the Jewish people whom they have sour blood towards due to their feeling of brotherhood towards the Palestinean people as "kosher."

covert
none

cfalk

Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:35 pm

And Christian related activism isn't capable of "threatening world stability"? Arguably, the Christian faith shares responsibility for much of the instability of the world today. Beyond Northern Ireland, there were the "Crusades". How about the Spanish Inquisition? How about the forced reform of conquered American tribes and other peoples around the world? Do we search for apologies from Christians for these abominable acts? No. I don't think its appropriate.

Well the Roman Catholic Church has in fact made explicit, public and official apologies for such excesses as the Crusades, and all the other events that you list.

But the point is that Christian activism is not a source of conflict TODAY. Nor has it been for a very long time.

The problem is that Islam is being taught in a very medieval way. Just as 13th century Crusaders believed that slaughtering infidels (even women and children) is a good thing to do, So do many Muslims today, taught by clerics who are no better than Torquemada or Richelieu. At least Christians got away from that kind of thinking a long time ago. Islam is stuck in the middle ages.

Bobrayner,

I do not doubt what you said about all the Muslims you know are moderate. Most that I know are the same. But what pisses me off about them is that the moderate Muslims don't get off their asses and DO something about all the a$$holes who are perverting their religion and making them look bad in front of the rest of the world. I want to see representatives of the Muslim communities around the world get on TV, radio and newspapers and broadcast loud and clear that they disown Al Qaeda, Suicide bombers etc. I want to hear that message every day.

Unfortunately, most of the few that do speak up say wishy-washy stuff like "We don't like terrorism, but you must understand how they feel about Israel, yada, yada, yada." Apologists are all what they are. When people see that, they just mentally group them in with the terrorists, and rightfully so, in my opinion.

Charles

The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

covert

Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:12 pm

Most that I know are the same. But what pisses me off about them is that the moderate Muslims don't get off their asses and DO something about all the a$$holes who are perverting their religion and making them look bad in front of the rest of the world.

What should they do, Charles? Take arms and stoop down to violence just like them? These people will not listen to sense, therefore that is the only "getting off of their ass to do something," which apparently you suggest for them to do.

I want to see representatives of the Muslim communities around the world get on TV, radio and newspapers and broadcast loud and clear that they disown Al Qaeda, Suicide bombers etc. I want to hear that message every day.

Every Muslim I know denounces Al-Queda, but there is not have an archbishop in every city in the world, therefore you want every law-abiding Muslim to march to the tv station to make a statement.

The problem is, the media would rather play a tape of Osama saying "Kill Americans," rather than put a group of Muslims saying, "Well terrorism is the wrong thing, etc."

You don't think they have been that route? A large newspaper in our city interviewed an Imam at the main mosque in our city and he talked at length discrediting Al-Queda and other organised threat groups and only received a C-section page 10 quarter column. Ironically, that happened to be the same day Saddam's sons were killed in Iraq, so unfortunately that was "more important" and made it to the front page. And don't say they don't try to much, the media runs what people will get a big shock out of. They don't care if the news will cause people to heave, that is what builds their credibility in the news world.

Unfortunately, most of the few that do speak up say wishy-washy stuff like "We don't like terrorism, but you must understand how they feel about Israel, yada, yada, yada." Apologists are all what they are. When people see that, they just mentally group them in with the terrorists, and rightfully so, in my opinion.

Sadly, you must be speaking with uneducated people about Islam. Somebody who knows their religion when persecuted will valiantly defend it with facts to back it up, you just talk to the wrong people...

covert
none

cfalk

Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:13 pm

What should they do, Charles? Take arms and stoop down to violence just like them?

I did not say that, Covert. I mean make their positions known.

The problem is, the media would rather play a tape of Osama saying "Kill Americans," rather than put a group of Muslims saying, "Well terrorism is the wrong thing, etc."

True enough, unfortunately. But that does not mean you should give up.

Remember the adage - It's not what you say that is important, it's what people hear. The fact is that most people around the world think that most Muslims support/approve terrorism, for whatever reasons. That is a problem for the Muslims of the world to solve - nobody else. It is in Muslims' best interest to see that perception rectified, and no-one else's. It is Muslims who will gain the most by correcting that perception, and no one else.

Sadly, you must be speaking with uneducated people about Islam. Somebody who knows their religion when persecuted will valiantly defend it with facts to back it up, you just talk to the wrong people.

I consider myself to be well-educated and well-informed, but you cannot blame me for the perception that is given by all the violence caused by Muslim extremists and by the relative silence of the Muslim community. Some do come out strongly, true. The Saudi government's pronouncements against terrorism a couple of weeks ago was quite good. But the religious leaders should be on Middle Eastern TV every day denouncing terrorism UNEQUIVICALLY. I know Muslims don't have a strict hierarchy like the Roman Church, but there are many respected Islamic imams and scholars who are highly respected for their views, and would be listened to.

Charles

covert

Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:58 pm

Remember the adage - It's not what you say that is important, it's what people hear

Certainly true, however, finding a conduit for the voice to travel through will have to compete with the sniper, Michael Jackson, and Iraq.

But the religious leaders should be on Middle Eastern TV every day denouncing terrorism UNEQUIVICALLY. I know Muslims don't have a strict hierarchy like the Roman Church, but there are many respected Islamic imams and scholars who are highly respected for their views, and would be listened to.

I do not blame you for anything, but unfortunately even tv in the Middle East has caught the wave of the international media, Al-Jazeera of the UAE, for example, has played tape after tape of Osama Bin Laden and it even appears that they are sympathisers of the cause.

covert
none

Marco

Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:11 pm

Right. But you don't see anyone asking Christians directly to apologize for the KKK. Because some Christians don't want to take ownership of the KKK.

But we don't support them. There isn't widespread approval for such people amongst Christian communities.

And Christian related activism isn't capable of "threatening world stability"? Arguably, the Christian faith shares responsibilty for much of the instability of the world today. Beyond Northern Ireland, there were the "Crusades". How about the Spanish Inquisition?

Typical response. It doesn't mean much to me. What about the Muslim Turks who killed millions of Christians? What about Genghis Khan? Stalin was an athiest and murdered millions.

How about the forced reform of conquered American tribes and other peoples around the world? Do we search for apologies from Christians for these abominable acts? No. I don't think its appropriate.

The whole Arab world was reformed, as well as "Arabized". National languages were abolished, and minorities persecuted including the Assyrians, Berbers, Pheonicians, etc....

Missionaries continue to "spread the word" by offering to help build infrastructure in developing countries with one catch...the population must submit to the Christian faith and foresake their culture.

Christian missionaries do some fascinating work around the world. Even my Muslim Sudanese friends have great respect for them. They don't terrorize the world.

Is the Christian faith bad? Not fundamentaly.

Wow what a revelation.

But Chrisians (and Mr. Bush) seem to have a bad habit of forcing people to see things their way and then refusing to allow the converted to integrate with the mainstream completely, leaving them confused, lost and bitter.

The Christian west is the best place today to practise your religion and not be worried about anything.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

GC

Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:42 am

"Missionaries continue to "spread the word" by offering to help build infrastructure in developing countries with one catch...the population must submit to the Christian faith and foresake their culture."

Not true, I am contact with people (American & British Christians) who give up their comfortable lives and risk death to help people in Iraq, Palestine and Lebanon. Not to get "converts" but partly because they really care about the local population and also because if Jesus was around today, that's what he would be doing, getting his hands dirty with the poor and the needy. In fact across the world , those indigenous peoples who do give their life to Christ are encouraged to worship in their own way, culturally and liunguistically, after all the early Christians were jews and worshipped as such, Jesus didn't come so that everyone would become Pat Robertson he wanted ethnic & cultural diversity (hence the arguments about keeping purely Jewish customs in the early church as opposed to allowing the gentiles to do it their way)...I think you are talking about the 19th century when the missionaries tried to "westernise everyone".

And Northern Ireland is actually more to do with the conflict between the Irish indigenous population and the British immigrants moved in by the government from the 17th Century onwards to keep the Irish Catholics in check. It's as much down to racism, tribalism and bigotry as it is to Christianity.

covert

Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:59 am

The Christian west is the best place today to practise your religion and not be worried about anything.

What area is demarcated as "the Christian West?" I should then say, you can practise the Islamic religion in Saudi Arabia and not fear anything.

And Northern Ireland is actually more to do with the conflict between the Irish indigenous population and the British immigrants moved in by the government from the 17th Century onwards to keep the Irish Catholics in check. It's as much down to racism, tribalism and bigotry as it is to Christianity.

Correct, in that case we shall accurately classify the Israel/Palestine issue is also a racist, tribal, and bigoted matter, less involving Islam.

covert
none

cfalk

Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:18 am

What area is demarcated as "the Christian West?" I should then say, you can practise the Islamic religion in Saudi Arabia and not fear anything.

He means that you can be a Muslim, Buddhist, or atheist in the western, predominantly Christian nations, practicing your faith openly and not worry about being persecuted for it.

Try practicing a non-Muslim faith in Saudi or Iran and see what happens.

Charles

Marco

Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:02 am

I should then say, you can practise the Islamic religion in Saudi Arabia and not fear anything.

Can you practise the Buddhist, Christian, Hindu faith in Saudi Arabia?

Proud to be an Assyrian!