UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

The Difference Between Fruits And Vegetables?

Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:02 pm

...I know that the tomato is supposed to be a fruit, yet it's eaten as a vegetable. so what qualifies as fruits and what qualifies as vegetables ?
UTA, still hungry after lunch.
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

Qb001

RE: The Difference Between Fruits And Vegetables?

Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:07 pm

Actually, not much. From a biological point of view, I don't think they can draw a line between what's a fruit or what's a vegetable. That taxonomy is only convenient in our every day lives.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good theory.

SSTjumbo

Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:07 pm

Fruits grow on trees, and vegetables grow elsewhere, like vines, roots, etc. That's why the tomato should be a fruit.

Note, a mushroom is NOT a veggie, it is a fungus.
I don't know, so this is my signature.

ussherd

Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:22 pm

Cada loco con su tema...

cfalk

Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:27 pm

Fruit will have seeds inside, like cherries, tomatoes, beans or avocado.

Vegetables, you eat another part of the plant which is not part of the reproductive system, like the roots or blades, like potatoes and carrots (the root) or celery and lettuce (the leaves or stalk).

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

JAL777

Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:57 pm

How do you turn a fruit into a vegetable???

Have a tiger bite them on the neck. Big grin

ben

Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:07 am

Cfalk has got it.

A fruit is a function of a plant's reproduction - Either to fall off the parent plant and rot with the seeds inside, creating a nice bit of fertilised land for the new plant to grow, or to be carried off (eaten even) by an animal and deposited far away thus spreading the species.

I don't know why some people insist on calling tomatoes vegetables.

KRIC777

Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:25 am

"I don't know why some people insist on calling tomatoes vegetables.

My theory: Generally speaking, fruits are associated with a sweet flavor, and vegetables with a savory one. There are exceptions, tomatoes being one of them, where fruits are eaten as a savory (avacadoes, squash, peppers), thus people might *think* of them as veggies.

EA CO AS

Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:36 am

Cfalk, would you then classify a cucumber as a fruit? I suppose you should, technically since you're eating the reproductive system, seeds and all.

Also, tomatoes do NOT grow on trees (as someone previously suggested), but on vines. Grapes are fruit, and they also grow on vines. So do watermelons, pumpkins, etc.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

sebolino

Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:41 am

I'm sorry guys, but you are all wrong.

A fruit becomes a flower, a vegetable not, plain and simple.

sebolino

Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:42 am

I'm sorry I was wrong too.

You should have read: A fruit COMES from a flower.

sebolino

Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:47 am

I don't know in English, but in French the word "fruit" has 2 meanings:

1) A fruit
2) A result (in a positive meaning = something good which happens after a specific action or situation). This meaning is obviously the origin of the other one, the fruit being the result of the flower's transformation. At least that's my interpretation.

cfalk

Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:52 am

Sebolino, the flower is part of the reproductive sysem which produces the seeds which are protected by the fruit "flesh". That's what we've been saying. Don't be so quick to judge before actually reading the responses.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Mr Spaceman

Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:03 am

Hi guys.

I was always under the impression that what determined the difference between a fruit & a vegetable was based on whether or not you would have a "floating surprise" the next morning.

I've seen corn, pea's & lettus (all veggies) do a good job of floating in the bowl, but never have I seen an apple, orange, pineapple, bannanah, cherries, etc, etc, floating around before the big flush!

Just a thought  Laugh out loud

Chris  Smile
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

EA CO AS

Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:25 am

I've seen corn, pea's & lettus (all veggies) do a good job of floating in the bowl, but never have I seen an apple, orange, pineapple, bannanah, cherries, etc, etc, floating around before the big flush!

ROFL!!

Ok, as gross as that is, let me reply...it's just a guess on my part, but I'd imagine that the large natural sugar content of fruit means they're easily digested, whereas vegetables are probably not as easily (or completely) digested thanks to their fairly low natural sugar content.

Also, digested vegetable remnants would likely be easier to identify than fruit remnants.

End result? More vegetable "leftovers" floating in the toilet.  Big thumbs up
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Mr Spaceman

Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:07 am

Hello EA CO AS.

Well I wasn't meaning to be gross - well just reallistcally honest & a bit funny- about the surprise the next morning. Lets face it, we're all humans, and we all have to do our thing in the bathroom.

Regarding your guess about large natural sugar content, well, your guess is as good as mine. However, I do know (from my past schooling) that "large" CELLULOSE fibres cannot diffuse through the wall of the large intestines ..... thus the residue the next morning. The best example (that I can think of) of how the human body cannot digest a fruit or veggie's fibre is the onion.

If you want to teach little children about cells, peel one of the many thin layers that an onion has inside, put it under a microscope and drop some food colouring die on it.

It's a great way to actually see a living cell, and it's also to big for us Big Guys to digest.  Laugh out loud

Chris  Smile

"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"