JAL777
Topic Author

Bush In Baghdad!

Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:21 am

Just breaking news... President Bush flies to Baghdad for Thanksgiving with the troops.

b757300

RE: Bush In Baghdad!

Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:31 am

NOOOO!! You beat me too it.  Laugh out loud Big grin

Oh well. I'm sure some people are currently in meltdown mode.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

JeffM

Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:33 am

Atta boy George! Hopefully someone has a camera to catch that sucker on the ground.

galaxy5

Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:35 am

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,104246,00.html

BAGHDAD, Iraq — President Bush (search) made a surprise Thanksgiving visit to American troops in Baghdad Thursday, flying secretly to violence-scarred Iraq to thank U.S. forces for serving there. It was the first trip ever by an American president to Iraq -- a mission tense with concern about his safety.

Awesome President we have here, what other US president would visit troops an thanksgiving in a war zone.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

zak

Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:37 am

that was extremly stupid. because i am sure the iraqi opposition will take pot shots at every plane and chopper they can, putting all american servicemen in bigger harms way then without dubya in iraq.
because i doubt they will pass the chance of attempting on hitting the jackpot. and they have been quite creative at insurgent tactics.

so just another selfish good PR move by george without thinking about the risks and dangers that will additionally be set upon the ppl he is responsible for as CIC
10=2

Jaspike

Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:39 am

All that security for him in London last week.. I wonder what the security is like in Baghdad..

Josh

JAL777
Topic Author

Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:39 am

Damned if you do... damned if you don't.

galaxy5

Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:41 am

The security at Baghdad INTL is better than it could be in London.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

EA CO AS

Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:52 am

I don't think even Alpha 1 could criticize the President for this gesture. This is one stand-up guy we've got in the White House.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

cedarjet

Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:57 am

I think Bush is a threat to peace everywhere, as well as the environment and the seperation between church and state, and probably everything else - let's just say I'm not a fan; but this is the first time I've ever been impressed by the man. It takes balls, especially after what happened to that A300 just a few days ago. Jesus christ, I can't believe I'm saying this, I actually feel dizzy with shock.

Nice one George!
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

JeffM

Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:00 am

Zak what an incredibly stupid comment. The opposition already takes potshots, nothing new there.

PR move? Didn't little miss Clinton just visit Afghanistan? What is she trying to do? Establish citizenship so she can run for Senator over there ?

Happy Turkey day.....

Jeff

KYIPpilot

Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:03 am

If Bush cared for the troops that much, he wouldn't have sent them over there in the first place...

This is just a move to increase his popularity and give the false appearance of integrity and caring.
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

NoUFO

Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:04 am

Damned if you do... damned if you don't.

Agreed. I'm sure most Americans, let alone the troops, welcome his surprise visit, though, and honestly, despite being fully aware it's another PR stunt, I like the idea as well. It's brave and courageous of him, I think, and I can hear some Iraqi fighters banging their heads agains a wall from here.

I support the right to arm bears

qwerty

Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:10 am

PR. Sure, all politics is PR. What's the point.

Even so, it takes balls to go where you send your soldiers and remind them why history will be kinder to them than the Free-Tibet-but-damned-if-you-free-Iraq types who hate war because they don't realize peace only happens after you fight for it.

Couldn't be a prouder American. Sure glad I live here.

KYIPpilot

Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:20 am

Qwerty, you think there is peace in Iraq right now?
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

Sabena 690

Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:24 am

This is just a move to increase his popularity and give the false appearance of integrity and caring.

Couldn't have said it better.

JeffM

Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:24 am

A lot more then there ever was......KYI.... a whole lot more.

JeffM

Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:25 am

I agree Fred, You, probably couldn't.......

kilavoud

Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:34 am

It looks somewhat like Santa Claus coming from the North Pole bringing cookies to astounded children.

Cheers Kilavoud.

KROC

Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:35 am

Great comment Zak. For you and all you nay sayers, you need to get a clue. This is an incredible act by the President. Not for me, not for you, but for the troops who are over their fighting. Who are away from their families and friends, while we all sit in the comforts of home and stuff our selves. And if you think I am BSing, I challenge anyone of you to spend a couple Holiday's away from family and loved ones. Try eating your Thanksgiving meal in a chow hall. Spending Christmas alone in a Barracks room. Big ups to President Bush. Sure he will get lots of PR run out of this, but that is besides the point. The President touched those 600 troops he saw directly and the importance of his visit will be more widespread amoung the troops that most of you can comprehend. Again, well done President Bush. A great move for all.

Oh and this...

Great to see ignorance and its followers alive and well. It is OBVIOUS NONE of you have a clue what its liketo serve, and how important something like this is to the troops, their families, etc.

[Edited 2003-11-27 19:38:12]

qwerty

Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:40 am

KWIP, if you are 16-20 as your profile states, the I'm fine with you thinking what is happening now in Iraq is wrong, call it unpeaceful. In 10 years, you'll disagree with your old self.

artsyman

Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:01 am

This is another nice example of Bashing Bush for whatever reason you can. If he didnt go, then you would be screaming about how dare he send out troops, but not put himself in the line of fire. He then goes out there, and everyone complains that he is putting everyone at risk by going !@!!

What a load of rubbish, while I am certainly no fan of him, what he did today was a fantastic thing

Jeremy

zak

Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:07 am

@kroc
thanks, i also thought my comment was great  Smile

and in regard to "Great to see ignorance and its followers alive and well. It is OBVIOUS NONE of you have a clue what its liketo serve, and how important something like this is to the troops, their families, etc."

if anything in that respect is ignorant, it is you assuming that every soldier thinks of politicians as gift like you seem to do. and "families"? i would guess they dont care about politicians visiting people, they would care more about politicians getting their loved ones not into harms way in the first place, or at least back home ASAP.
i am still active reserve and did my share of fast roping out of ch-53s till 2 years ago. i turned down the offer to join the international long range surveillance school and then go on assignment on the balkans(which im glad about since that was before 9/11, im sure i would have gotten a ride to kabul instead). and i can tell you one thing what i, and everyone i served with both british and german army would have thought about a politician visiting us and therefore increasing our risk: "go to hell whoever you are we dont want you here".
ok i do admit that it is likely different with u.s. ppl since they do see their elected president as a god like figure (not as criticizm but thats just how i percieved american soldiers etc with clinton too) in comparison to us euros.
so please stop stop assuming that everyone in armed forces worldwide sees things as you do. you are for sure not the only active or retired soldier on these forums.
10=2

B2707SST

Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:25 am

People attacking Bush for his Baghdad visit would be screaming just as loudly if he had sat around in Crawford all Thanksgiving. Nothing he does will ever please them, so rational people can tune them out.

This was a great gesture on behalf of our armed forces who were in need of a morale boost, and involved a not-insignificant risk on the part of the president. Certainly this won't hurt his political campaign, but the sheer delight on our soldiers' faces when Bush walked out made the whole thing worth it. After Bush walked out, the troops went absolutely crazy, cheering and waving, and video shows what look like tears in his eyes as he stood at the podium. I think he was genuinely moved the their reaction. People are terribly jaded indeed if they impute purely political motives to every action, good and bad, that Bush takes - like him or not, he is still a human being.

--B2707SST
Keynes is dead and we are living in his long run.

nwcoflyer

Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:54 am

Thank God we have a president like George W. Bush who has the balls to go and visit our troops in a war zone. Unlike Howard Dean who would probably pull the troops the first day he could take office as President (God willing he never will!).
==
I have a question for all of you liberals. Is Iraq better off with out Saddam's sons going around and raping woman? What about the torture chambers? Have you not seen the torturous videos of people being thrown off buildings to their death? Or how about the first hand accounts of people witnessing their family members being murdered in gruesome ways, (i.e. being slaughtered in wood chippers)? I thought you liberals were for human rights. But apparently when it doesn’t fit you agenda, you could care less about woman being raped and killed.
==
FLY NORTHWEST!
The New American is arriving.

777236ER

Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:02 am

Is Iraq better off with out Saddam's sons going around and raping woman? What about the torture chambers? Have you not seen the torturous videos of people being thrown off buildings to their death?

Was Iraq better off when Saddam was an ally of the US? Was Iran better off when the Shah was a CIA puppet? Are the Chinese better off with the US turning a blind eye to human rights abuses? Are South America and South Asia better after all the US-engineered coups?
Your bone's got a little machine

BigMac

Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:10 am

Well said Nwcoflyer!!! I still can't believe how ignorant some people can be. All of Iraqs wealth flew straight into Sadam & Co's pockets when he was in power. As a consequence thousands of children died each year of malnutrition, etc. Iraq is definately better off without Sadam.
To fly, or not to fly: that is the question

jamesag96

Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:42 am

Awesome....no other way to describe it.
Sad to see there are still some idiots on here....

Happy Thanksgiving

James From Aggieland

Howdy Jeremy!

[Edited 2003-11-27 21:53:17]
Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

b757300

Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:45 am

Bush also met with the Iraqi Governing Council while he was there.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

JeffM

Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:55 am

Guys...."Spin"....it's what the liberals do. ( and the conservatives as well, to keep it fair...)

777236ER

Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:56 am

He met with the board of Halliburton? They must have been honoured.

nwcoflyer

Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:58 am

777236ER,

Was Iraq better off when Saddam was an ally of the US?
Was Iran better off when the Shah was a CIA puppet? Are the Chinese better off with the US turning a blind eye to human rights abuses? Are South America and South Asia better after all the US-engineered coups?

People like you will never see any good in the United States. We are the great Satan to America haters like you! It is unfortunate that you cannot see and acknowledge that there is good in this world and it does happen.

The New American is arriving.

777236ER

Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:59 am

That'd make sense, if I hated America. I don't.

But the standard "we rid the world of an evil man! Evil!! Man!!" doesn't really hold up to scrutiny when you realise that the US isn't an angle itself.

Sabena 690

Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:00 am

Of course the gesture itself is nice, but I still have my doubts whether this was out of sympathy with the troups, or just another PR stunt. Probably for both...

apathoid

Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:11 am

It was easy to predict what the ususal suspects would have to say about this..

What it says to me is that we have a man of integrity in the White House who is worthy of the title Commander in Chief. Mr. Bush is a man who understands what that title means.

My hats off to you once again Mr. President.

jamesag96

Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:30 am

Apathoid said it well.

Regards,
James
Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

United777

Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:40 am

Okay what the hell is the big deal! He's not the first major leader to go to Iraq since the war ended. Tony Blair went back in May, Collin Powell already went and so did leaders from other countries such as Italy and Poland.

Good to see George there but it's about time and I don't see why it's such a big deal!

Farhan
Seattle, USA

EA CO AS

Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:49 am

Good to see George there but it's about time and I don't see why it's such a big deal!

The big deal is the fact that he's the President of the United States.

THAT is the big deal. If you don't understand it, you never will.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Inbound

Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:03 am

I don't live in the US, I'm not an American...and like most people around the world outside of the US, I didn't support the war and GWB.

but considering the current situation, and the inability to turn back time to gripe about going to war in the first place, I have to say I am proud of the man for making such a move.
Who cares if it's PR., it was well executed and indeed took a lot of planning.
I particularly liked the part about him using an unmarked vehicle to get to AF1 and commenting it's his first time in "traffic" in 3 years.

I'm going to be watching the footage over and over again today. Can't wait to see what guys like Leno and Conan have to say about it tonight.

looks like he scored some Election '04 points there.
Maintain own separation with terrain!

cptkrell

Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:46 am

When I first heard about this at the while bar watching my miserable Detroit Lions actually looking good winning the annual Thanksgiving Day game, I thought to myself..."how many responses will it take for the A.net Bush-Bashers to bad mouth this action?" I wasn't far off...just the fourth post (ZAK's "just another selfish good PR move...").

Get a friggin' life, you Ad Infinitum BB's. There seems to be a lot of preaching from you folks who will spin ANY action, ANY device, ANY gesture by President Bush as being wholly inadequate. Your broken re-winds are very tiring. But, on the plus side of the equation, I guess, your sophomoric analyzations constantly presented are illustrative so others have a guarantee there is nothing else to expect from you folks to surprise or shock. Regards...Jack

all best; jack

speedbirdyvr

Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:11 am

"I have a question for all of you liberals. Is Iraq better off with out Saddam's sons going around and raping woman? What about the torture chambers? Have you not seen the torturous videos of people being thrown off buildings to their death? Or how about the first hand accounts of people witnessing their family members being murdered in gruesome ways, (i.e. being slaughtered in wood chippers)? I thought you liberals were for human rights. But apparently when it doesn’t fit you agenda, you could care less about woman being raped and killed."

Oh no doubt about Iraq being a free country now. But is the US safer now? Don't think so too!

[Edited 2003-11-28 00:11:33]

covert

Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:45 am

Best thing President Bush did in a long time. Great move.

covert
none

bobrayner

Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:50 am

The security at Baghdad INTL is better than it could be in London.

Why? No irksome civil rights?  Big grin

Anyway. It's an impressive action. I do have to respect Bush for doing this, insofar as it's a genuine move and not a photo opportunity.

peace only happens after you fight for it.

And virginity is worth f***ing for, right?
Cunning linguist

Alpha 1

Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:57 am

I don't have any problem with Bush doing this, but if any of you-KROC-want to be naive enough to think he didn't do this, in part, for his re-election PR maching, you're naively mistaken. I do think a lot of it WAS because he felt it would lift the spirits of the troops in Iraq, no doubt, and for that, he should be commended. He sent them there, and it's a great gesture to go there and eat some dinner with them. But if Hillary can go to Afghanistan to show support for the troops, the C-in-C most certainly has the right to do so.

I imagine the SS had an absolute conniption over this visit, though. Imagine the outcry had Bush done this, and, despite the security, AF1 would have gotten shot at.

And, it makes no sense to critisize Bush for his visit, but to praise Senator Clinton for hers, nor visa-versa. Both were done for PR, and both were done also for concern of troops. If either side critisizes Bush or Clinton, and not both, they're hypocrites. To me, neither deserves criticism.

commander_rabb

Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:58 am

Ha ha ha!

A STUNNING trip. An absolute brilliant move to show support to the fighting military men and women of the United States Armed Forces.

There will always be the typical nay sayers. But we don't care about them. What we care for is the tradition of Thanksgiving, and what better way to show thanks but to visit some of these fine men and women who serve so proudly.

Bravo Mr. President, all one can do is smile with glee.

Ha ha ha.

(Imagine those few scoundrels in Baghdad who are just cringing at the thought that they were but a few miles from the "hated" Mr. Bush. That just makes it all the more sweeter.)

"Just looking for a warm meal."

Simply amazing!  Smile

Alpha 1

Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:02 am

Commander rabb, I think you're overstating this trip. It won't stop the violence; it won't bring the troops home earlier; it won't seal the President's re-election; it won't bring peace in our time. You make it sound like the second coming of Christ. It was a President doing something good for his troops, and that's always a good thing.

Don't make it into the second coming, OK?  Smile

KYIPpilot

Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:42 am

KROC

I support our troops one hundred percent. Yes, it was a nice gesture for GWB to visit them and make their Thankgiving one to remember, but I think GWB had other motives. I think it was only a publicity stunt. Does he care for the troops? I'm sure he does, but I think there was more to the visit.

You are right, I have no idea what it is like to serve, but I could imagine it is very painfull being away from their loved ones. I fully support our troops and want them to be safe and come home for the holidays, but I don't support why they were put there, which was mainly because of Bush and Co.

Boeing4ever

Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:01 pm

PR stunt? Possibly, but then again, any incumbant President will face those accusations around election time.

Most likely it was both for PR and cuz he cared for the troops (good PR being a welcome side effect if you will). But here's something everyone else failed to consisder: Secret Service panic. This was VERY SECRET. Suddenly Dubya disappears...sneaking away like a teenager. Leaving his wife and family high and dry on Thanksgiving...then "surprise!", he's in Baghdad. What if the story was leaked out...that the President had "run away from home"? And what if AF1 had been fired upon!?

I'll give him credit...he's got balls, but it was rather rude of him. Poor Laura, slaving all day in that kitchen!  Laugh out loud

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

[Edited 2003-11-28 04:07:50]

bravo45

Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:54 pm

...........and its only logical that the trip was a TOP SECRET and that he didn't show himself to what he calls all those people gald for it and the ones that he "liberated".

N766UA

Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:16 pm

It's not a PR stunt if CNN doesn't even know he's doing it till after the fact.

Man those media pukes were pissed off....
This Website Censors Me