RNOcommctr
Topic Author

Special Holiday Beers

Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:08 pm

What's your favorite holiday beer/ale? I have always liked the one made by Anchor Steam. Also, the Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada is pretty tasty. The only one I've had this year has been from the Alaskan Brewing Company. I can't remember the specific name. Supposedly it is brewed with spruce tree tips but I couldn't detect the spruce.

Anyone know specifically what special ingredients are used in these holiday brews? I suppose spices like nutmeg and cinnamon.

What's your favorite?
Active loading only, ma'am, keep it moving!

NKP S2

RE: Special Holiday Beers

Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:57 pm

My faves are some of the micro-brewery winter/christmas beers, but as far as "commercial" beers I'll give Samuel Adams 'Old Fezziwig' ale the nod. Pretty much comparable to the Anchor beer. Like the Anchor product though, it varies from year to year.

JeffM

Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:57 pm

Coors Winterfest. They only brew enough to last a couple of weeks out here. Not sure about what they put in it, but I love it. Not even close to the 'regular' Coors. I can't touch that stuff....

LHMark

Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:26 pm

Tuborg Julebryg. Good luck finding it in North America. Sigh.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

srbmod

Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:42 pm

Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome Ale. A few years back, on a non-rev junket to PDX, I brought back a bottle of Portland Brewing Company's Bobby Dazzler Old London Style Holiday Ale (now discontinued), and that was one of the best holiday beers I had ever tasted. Now locally, Dogwood Brewing does a different style Holiday Beer every year. Sweetwater Brewing does it's annual Festive Ale.