Douglas DC-9
Topic Author

Major Mac OS X/Norton Problem

Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:37 pm

I have a huge problem with my iMac. You see today I was running Norton Utilities v. 8.0 as a startup disc and all ran smootly. I came to problems when I had to restart machine to OS X. My iMac just keeps starting up from the disc. I can't stop it, nor can I eject it, or physically force it out... I've tried. Everything Norton said would fix the problem hasn't. ANd when I hold down the Option key I SHOULD get a menu asking what to startup to, but I don't get that either. Heaven forbid Norton should actually do something right and beable to help me... I hope one of you can.

Thanks Much,
DC-9-32

Goodbye

RE: Major Mac OS X/Norton Problem

Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:32 pm

Try starting up while holding down the mouse button. If that doesn't work, then try using a paperclip and inserting it into the hole next to the CD drive. If none of those work, then you might have to take it to your local Apple Dealer and see if he can fix it.

Arrow

Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:46 pm

Did you try going into system preferences, click on the start-up icon, and select ox 10?
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

aviatortj

Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:09 pm

If your iMac is a colored one, you can use the paperclip in the slot. If it is a flat panel, you should be able to force eject a disk by holding down the eject key when you power up. There is probably more to that, if I come across it I'll chime in. Good luck.

__TJ__

zak

Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:37 pm

general advice: dont use any norton stuff. at least on PC it is bulky software that doesnt even do the job and wastes a ton of resources.
task specific tools usually do a better job at 1/10th the resource hunger and are often cheaper or freeware.
at least thats the situation on pc!
10=2

artsyman

Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:50 pm

Ok, here is what you need to do:

Reboot the machine, and while is starting up, Hold down command + option + O + F

This will bring up a prompt for open firmware, when it does, type the words eject cd and then hit enter

Only type the two words eject cd and the above O is an Oh as opposed to a zero

Jeremy

gigneil

Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:44 pm

All these are good ideas, but try holding down the mouse button while booting first.

Its the easiest, most sure fire way to get a not-physically-stuck disk out.

Oh, and fuck Peter Norton.

N

Douglas DC-9
Topic Author

Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:45 am

I fixed it, I have the new flat panel iMac, so there is no paperclip hole, believe me, I've been working with Macs since 1988 and I'll tell you, the paperclip is something they should of kept on the newer Macs. I have the Open Firmwire on my machine for a regular password protected startup... I have to type "mac-boot" and all that stuff so I tried "cd eject" and I got a message saying something like "Can't eject devise" so something to that effect. And I could not go under the Apple Menu because it was all greyed out... so I went and called Apple Support, and they told me to hold the mouse button AND hit the F12 key on the keyboard. So yeah Thanks for your help.

Thanks Again,
DC-9-32