Matt D
Topic Author

Watch Your Beef: Mad Cow Has Arrived

Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:10 am

We all knew it was only a matter of time.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/12/23/mad.cow/index.html

Pe@rson

RE: Watch Your Beef: Mad Cow Has Arrived

Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:12 am

"Mad cow has arrived"? Nah, VSGirl doesn't arrive into LAX until tomorrow night. And no - I'm not flirting.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

EA CO AS

Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:14 am

Osama bin Laden has trained thousands of stricken bovines to infiltrate McDonald's restaurants throughout North America.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

UAL747

Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:40 am

HAHAHAHAHA Pearson, that was hilarious!

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Pe@rson

Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:45 am

"HAHAHAHAHA Pearson, that was hilarious!"

I know you're being sarcastic, but hey - I'll pretend you're not. :-P Besides, what do you expect when it's nearly midnight here?  Wink/being sarcastic
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

UAL747

Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:46 am

I wasn't being sarcastic at all! I was laughing my ass off earlier.

Cheers

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Q330

Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:11 am

So how did pe@rson get on VSGirl's respected users list? Sure you're not flirting Yeah sure

As for the mad cow disease: sounds bad, but I don't think anyone on this thread cares, Matt.

-Q
Long live the A330!

LHMark

Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:17 am

Maybe now the Red Cross'll accept my goddamn blod. Grrrrrrr.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

UAL747

Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:18 am

Hahaha, still pissed are we LHMark?

UAL

CanadaEH

Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:37 am

What comes around goes around. It'll be nice for the US to see what it's like on the other side of the fence.
EH.

777236ER

Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:42 am

If I were a Canadian farmer, I'd be happy tonight.
Your bone's got a little machine

CanadaEH

Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:22 am

The Canadian Cattle Association does not want Canada to close its borders to US beef as the US did to Canada. They instead want to do all they can to support the US and help out wherever they can. The damage is already done to Canada, we've lost over $2 billion dollars from the closure of the borders to beef, so why do further damage in "retaliation" to the US?
EH.

JAL777

Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:02 pm

I expect a massive amount of "Beef - It's What's For Dinner Commercials" soon.

This is not good news for US Beef growers. Japan and South Korea have already blocked all US beef imports.

b757300

Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:23 pm

This really sucks. What was I doing when I saw the news on Fox?

Eating a freaking hamburger!!!

Anyway, Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore, S. Korea, and Japan have all banned importation of U.S. beef until everything is contained or the final tests from the lab in Britain come back negative.

Hopefully this will force the USDA and Congress to adopt the same anti-BSE policies that the British adopted which have seriously reduced the problem in the county where it was first identified.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

CanadianNorth

Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:25 pm

...but when i heard that USA might have mad cow which would put them on this side of the fence for a change, it was hard not to smile eh...

Signed,
Farmer folks of Canada

[Edited 2003-12-24 06:26:38]
What could possibly go wrong?

VS340

Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:34 pm

i have a great deal of sympathy for the American cattle farmers right now, being from Alberta and seeing first hand how the US and Asian ban on Canadian beef has nearly destroyed the Beef industry here, I can tell you that there are some seriously rough times ahead for them. I would love to say that i will do all i can to supprt them but the truth is i wont do anything. Farmers here are still suffering a lot because of of American and Asian bans put on Canadian beef and Im going to have to see that my family is healthy before i help out my friends.

STT757

Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:48 pm

You don't get sick right away from Mad Cow disease, you can develop symptoms 5 years after eating affected beef.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Arrow

Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:49 pm

The US ban on Canadian cattle imports has been in place for far too long, based on a one-cow experience. It is still in effect because a number of US politicians (not the American cattle farmers) saw it as an opportunity to drive up domestic prices to benefit US cattle producers. It was blatant, opportunist protectionism of the kind that has become all too familiar lately. Japan, too, has maintained a ban on Canadian beef.

I'm glad we're not trying to get even -- that would simply harm US producers who, for the most part, played no role in the continuing US ban on Canadian beef. But the government, in particular those politicians, deserve everything they get.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

FDXmech

Wed Dec 24, 2003 2:59 pm

>>>...but when i heard that USA might have mad cow which would put them on this side of the fence for a change, it was hard not to smile eh...<<<

That's odd. I didn't see any smiling faces filled with glee at the thought of Canadian farmers having mad cow.

It's amazing at how some people in the world have nothing positive going for them except a misfortune occuring in the U.S.

Further, if the U.S were to have an outbreak of mad cow desease, I wouldn't blame other countries for not importing our beef until the problem was rectified. To do so would appear to me, selfish.
You're only as good as your last departure.

Aloha717200

Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:06 pm

This is really bad. In Utah and Idaho a pretty sizable amount of land is devoted to raising livestock. If Mad Cow disease ends up striking on a large scale, you can temporarily kiss that economic recovery goodbye, at least in states where raising and selling livestock is an important part of the economy.

I hate to think about what'll happen to some farmers in Idaho. IF and only IF Mad Cow cannot be contained before it spreads.

It's a good thing I'm a fan of chicken. And it's almost hypocritical of me to say that. Because if people start boycotting beef, that also hurts those same farmers.

VS340

Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:08 pm

FDXmech

just to clarify this attitude is only of one person and not of all Canadians, American farmers are about to go through some seriously rough times and i have all the sympathy in the world for them, but i personnaly will still stick to supporting Canadian beef because they have been going through hard times now for way too long and for some really bad reasons.

VS340

Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:11 pm

Mad Cow does not have to be containd to destroy the Cattle industry, look at Canada and how one single case has almost completely obliterated the entire industry.

Pe@rson

Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:19 pm

"So how did pe@rson get on VSGirl's respected users list."

My subtle charm and lack of trying, you see.

Sabena 690

Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:26 pm

It's extremely sad news, and I can only hope for thing: Bush has to take extremely drastic measures. All the cows in the surrounding miles have to be killed immediately (I know, it's sad), and inspections in other farms have to take place urgently.

We've had big problems with mad cows in the past in Belgium, and this seemed to be the only way to solve the problem.

Frederic

tokolosh

Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:29 pm

B757300,

"Hopefully this will force the USDA and Congress to adopt the same anti-BSE policies that the British adopted which have seriously reduced the problem in the county where it was first identified".

I would suggest the U.S. follows the example of Continental Europe rather than the British approach, which was disastrous. In Holland, Germany, France, etc, if one BSE cow was discovered in a herd, that entire herd was destroyed. In the UK they only destroyed the infected cow, which was much less effective as we all now know with hindsight.

Let's hope it is contained.

Merry X-mas.
Did the chicken or the egg get laid first?

N6376M

Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:29 pm

I'm surprised MattD didn't blame Mexicans for this.

garnetpalmetto

Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:55 pm

Speaking of Mexicans, Mexico, the largest importer of our beef, just banned American beef. While I'll still eat beef, it makes me feel better about my choice last year to switch to organic meat and dairy products.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

sebolino

Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:58 pm

You don't get sick right away from Mad Cow disease, you can develop symptoms 5 years after eating affected beef

In fact, it's suspected to last as long as 10 to 15 years before any symptoms (this disease is still not well known). Anyway, you don't want to have it.

BUT, according to the studies, and especially those which compared France and UK, you don't get sick by eating the meat, but by eating nervous material from the spinal chord (which might be present on the meat due to the method used to cut it).

I haven't heard of any progress in the research for more than 1 year.

N6376M

Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:04 am

Garnetpalmetto - I believe that the Japanese are the largest importers of US meat. Doesn't really matter because they banned the imports as well.

Exports make up about 10% of the US cattle industry. So the foreign bans will be bad, but what is crucial is how US domestic demand at the consumer level will be affected.

Also how does switching to organic meat protect you? Isn't this disease organic (i.e. not man made or transmitted through vaccines/steroids/etc)?

I'd hate to be the CEO of McD this AM. However, Chick-Fil-A's CEO had an early Christmas. EAT MORE CHICKEN!

777236ER

Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:15 am

I haven't heard of any progress in the research for more than 1 year.

Here in the UK we get varying reports of how many people will die from vCJD. Right now it's estimated that the outbreak has peaked, but over the years estimates have been up in the millions.

As for vCJD itself, there's no real test for it. While you can test for the vCJD protein in a person, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll get the full blown disease.
Your bone's got a little machine

Arrow

Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:39 am

Just to clarify why Canadians have all manner of sympathy for American cattle producers -- but not much for US government agencies.

This story is in today's Globe & Mail.

Ottawa emphasizes BSE expertise

By DREW FAGAN
OTTAWA BUREAU CHIEF

Canadian officials took a simple message to Washington as they sought to reopen the border after the discovery of a single case of mad-cow disease on an Alberta farm last May: If it could happen to us, they said, it could happen to you.

And now it has.

The announcement by U.S. Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman yesterday that a preliminary test on a single cow in Washington state has come back positive for bovine spongiform encephalopathy sent Canadian officials scrambling last night to decide how to react.

The federal government's newly formed cabinet committee on security, public health and emergencies -- chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan -- held a conference call into the evening involving its 11 members. Agriculture Minister Bob Speller was one of the first people to speak to Ms. Veneman after she dropped her bombshell and emphasized her continued confidence in the safety of the U.S. beef supply.

The message to Washington now, though, is hardly "I told you so."

"That gets you nowhere," a senior Canadian official said.

Instead, Ottawa is emphasizing the expertise gained during the past seven months that it can now share with Washington. This includes how to investigate for BSE; how to help ensure it doesn't spread; what special regulatory measures need to be put into place; how to maintain the safety of the processing industry; how to ensure the public doesn't overreact to the threat; and finally, what protocols are necessary in case the border is closed.

Canadian officials did not rule out last night a new closing of the border, saying that a decision will be taken only after a final determination is made of whether the U.S. cow has the disease.

(The United States did not close the border to Canadian beef and live cattle after the preliminary test results in Alberta, but waited for the final test. That likely will be tomorrow in this instance.)

To critics of the Canadian response to the U.S.-invoked border closing last May, this may all seem inappropriate and somewhat knock-kneed. For months, the government of Jean Chrétien was criticized for not working hard enough to get the border reopened.

But, in fact, the federal government did manage to reopen the border to most beef shipments in September and shipments of live cattle are expected to resume in early 2004. Such a rapid resumption of trade after a finding of BSE, Canadian officials emphasize, is unprecedented internationally.

"This is an industry that is beleaguered," the Canadian official said. "But it is a North American industry, without question."

In fact, while the continental industry is entirely integrated -- or was until last May -- there is a huge imbalance between Canadian dependence on the U.S. market and U.S. dependence on the Canadian market. Although U.S. producers generally export marginally more beef than Canadian producers, most U.S. beef is consumed in the United States.

In contrast, Canadian producers generally depend on export markets for the sale of about half of all live cattle and meat, and more than 90 per cent of those exports go to the United States.

In other words, even if the federal government does decide to close the border to U.S. shipments, it won't hurt U.S. producers nearly as much as the U.S. ban hurt Canadian producers. The acid test for the U.S. industry will be at home: Do American consumers decide to avoid beef?

Last night, Canadian officials were examining how to react. The decision, they said, won't have anything to do with a tit-for-tat trade philosophy. The border decision by Ottawa "won't be based on politics but on public health based on science, pure and simple," the Canadian official said.

And those Canadian officials who spent so much time saying "it could happen to you" will bite their tongues.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

garnetpalmetto

Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:03 am

N6376m, switching to organic is safer as the disease is primarily spread through feed, specifically the fact that the feed supplements given to animals often contain the remains of other animals. In order to get an organic label, beef must be entirely grain-fed and such feed supplements cannot be used.

Try reading the book 'Fast-Food Nation" sometime..rather chilling to realize what the factory-farm industry gets away with.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

go canada!

Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:10 am

well how long before someone blames bse on some world wide zionist jewish conspiracy to take over the world?

if my countrys case is anything to go by, noone will eat the beef for years and even after tis safe france still wont eat it even after its told to import it by countless courts and countries etc etc.
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit