fanoftristars

Pittsburgh... What Is There To Do There?

Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:36 am

Hey, I'm heading to Pittsburgh next week and I'll be there for two weeks. What is there to see & do? What are the "must sees"? What are the cool clubs to hang out at?

I've asked the forum before for advice on what to do in certain cities, and I've recieved excellent advice from all of you. Thanks in advance for any info.

Jeff
"FLY DELTA JETS"

ybacpa

RE: Pittsburgh... What Is There To Do There?

Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:57 am

If you find anything to do, let me know, I've been going back and forth to Pitts for the past two months and can't find anything to do.

Just kidding... seriously though, the city isn't really that lively and there aren't really many good sights. Saddly, after work we often find ourselves at a strip club or a bar (most of which close by 10 or 11).
SkyTeam: The alliance for third rate airlines finally getting their act together!

garnetpalmetto

Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:08 am

Things to do:

-Catch a Penguins game. Hopefully Marc-Andre Fleury will be goaltending and it will give you a shot to see someone who's on the road to becoming an NHL superstar.

-Eat a Primanti Brothers sandwich. The things are a Pittsburgh institution. Meat, cole slaw, fried egg, tomato and French fries wedged between two slices of Italian bread.

-Do some shopping at PIT's airmall.

-Take a ride up the Duquesne Incline (a funicular railway) to see the city and also to catch a bit of rail history, as the upper station has displays regarding the history of the Incline and the city of Pittsburgh as well as pictures of other cable and rail cars from around the world.

-Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium

-Tour PNC Park, the new baseball park used by the Pirates and widely regarded as baseball's best new field.

-Take a sight-seeing cruise on one of the ships of the Gateway Clipper Fleet

-Go to one of the 4 Carnegie Museums (Carnegie Museum of Art, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Carnegie Science Center, the Andy Warhol Museum)

-In terms of nightclubs, Metropol's a good spot to try
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

LHMark

Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:19 am

go down on a sunday to catch Dutch band Bettie Serveert, only to find that the show is cancelled. Then go to the Church Brew Works for a few hours. Following that, drive around the city in a vain attempt to find something to do on a Sunday night. Then drive back to "Moon," over by the airlport, where your bargain-basement LaQuinta Inn is located. End the night by drinking at The Ground Round, because it's the only place that's open.

No. I'm not bitter.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

JBLUA320

Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:59 am

Pittsburgh is a great city with plenty to do, I have learned since my sister is a UPitt student.

There are tons of little hideaways out and about Pittsburgh, one who's name is escaping me. Its like a big outdoor mall with a Loews, an Ampitheater, tons of stores and good food. There is also a decent comedy club. The name is escaping me, but its right on the railroad tracks and the water... Ill think of it.

Also, Oakland is a decent place to hang around for a bit and walk around the UPitt/Carnegie campus. The Cathedral of Learning is a sight within itself, decked out in gothic architecture (sp?). There is also a place called Kiva-Han Coffee, which is a good place to go.

Squirrel Hill is an interesting district, with a main boulevard of stores and shops. There is also a coffee place called Coffee Tree Roasters which is excellent- I reccomend their Caramel Latte's, equivalent to Starbucks Caramel Macchiatos only 100000000x better and cheaper.

There is also the botanical gardens and butterfly museum if that interests you. Also, a trip to Heinz Field is a must as its a very nice stadium- hell, go see a game!

And ofcourse, if your flying to PIT, its worth arriving at the airport a bit early to use the AirMall, as it truly is a great place. Spotting at PIT can get boring, but there is plenty to eat and there are tons of places to shop.

Trust me, you cant be bored in Pittsburgh, there is tons to do. Enjoy your stay!

JBLU

JBLUA320

Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:02 am

Also, I should add that if you are staying in a hotel, be sure to stay in Oakland or Downtown as if you stay in Moon, Coraopolis etc you are a 30 minute drive from anything worthwhile and the roads around Pittsburgh are a nightmare, what with all the tunnels and bridges, many of which are closed for work on alternating schedules.

If you would like to get to Oakland directly from PIT, you can take the hourly 28X bus for $2.50. It takes about an hour but drops you near the Litchfield Towers, right in the heart of Oakland.

JBLU

rockyracoon

Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:11 am

Carnegie Museum of Natural History has some pretty sweet dinosaur fosils exhibits. If you've never seen any before, I definetely recommend it.

gigneil

Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:12 am

If only the Pittsburgh from Queer as Folk was really Pittsburgh.

N

jaysit

Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:22 am

The Andy Warhol Museum (this is soup, this is art...)

And, of course, Club Babylon where the Himbos from QAF dance the night away ! Every night, including Mondays !
Atheism is Myth Understood.

N766UA

Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:55 am

Carneige Science Center
Point State Park
Duquesne Incline
Station Square
Tour a Stadium
River Boat Tour
Visit PIT

I was just in Pittsburgh and go there frequently. If you want any help or anything just lemme know!
This Website Censors Me

JBLUA320

Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:24 am

Station Square- Thats it!

JBLU

N670UW

Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:31 pm

It's been a few years since I've been to Station Square. What's it like now?

fanoftristars

Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:04 am

Thanks everyone for your replies. Sounds like it might be a bit of a challenge to have some real fun! lol. I think I'll head to the museums and maybe take a weekend trip to see my buddy in Ohio. Thanks Neil for your email!

Jeff
"FLY DELTA JETS"

vafi88

Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:24 am

Go make some steel!  Big thumbs up

Vitaly
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

N766UA

Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:57 am

If I may recommend dining:

There is a place on top of Mt. Washington called the Grandview Saloon. If you take the Duquesne Incline up you just take a left and it's about 10 yards down. The restaurant offers an excellent view of the city and some pretty good food too. Have fun!

http://www.grandviewsaloon.com/Restaurant.htm
This Website Censors Me

JBLUA320

Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:29 am

Station Square has a big Loews, a bunch of restaraunts, an ampitheater, a comedy club and some shops in the main area. Its a decent way to spend a night. When you get outside the main area there are some more restaraunts and I think a Giant Eagle supermarket as well.

JBLU

fanoftristars

Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:57 am

N766UA:

Thanks for the recommendation on dining. It's always fun to eat at a memorable place, rather than a Chili's or Applebee's  Smile I checked out the link, it looks pretty cool.

JBLUA320, Thanks for the tip on Station Square.

Jeff
"FLY DELTA JETS"

covert

Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:08 am

Station Square has a big Loews, a bunch of restaraunts, an ampitheater, a comedy club and some shops in the main area. Its a decent way to spend a night. When you get outside the main area there are some more restaraunts and I think a Giant Eagle supermarket as well.

No it doesn't, there is a Hard Rock Cafe there. The Loew's and and the large shopping complex you speak of is the Waterfront in Homestead.

There is a lot of stuff around here, but it is spread out and it really would work if you hooked up with somebody around the area to show you around.

As for clubs, I don't know what you are into, but the Strip District and Oakland have a couple of spots worth hitting up. Email me for some insight.

covert
none

JBLUA320

Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:00 am

Waterfront... Station Square... Same thing  Laugh out loud

Now that I recall the Station Square.. There is this French restaraunt, something like The Cheese House or something like that, and they boast their "amazing" fondue. DONT EAT THERE IT SUCKS.

JBLU

Fokker Lover

Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:14 am

I've lived here for fifteen years, and still haven't found anything to do. I think that's why I have so many kids.  Nuts
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

pgh234

Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:58 pm

Been a Pittsburgher for all 18 years of my life. In the winter, I have to admit, there isn't a whole hell of a lot to do (I love the summers though...tons of outdoor things). I too advise hitting up the Waterfront or Station Square (Both have developed much recently). Oakland has the whole "college/city" feeling to it and the Strip District has some clubs and Primanti's  Smile. Robinson (west of the city) is near where I live and the first sign of civilization after you leave the airport. Tons of hotels, a top-notch mall, and everything else are located here near junction of US22/30 and PA60. Overall, Pittsburgh is not the most exciting place in the world, but its a damn nice place and one I am proud to call home.

pgh234

fyi: As stated above, multiple fantastic roadmaps are necessary for any person not familiar with our chaotic road system (or, actually, lack of any system)