CanadianNorth
Topic Author

At Sea... Life Is Good.

Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:59 pm

Well i was just looking through a photo album and was thinking. Life out on the open ocean is good.

-All you can eat gourmet food
-All night partys
-More acitvitys/sports/shows/attractions than you know what to do with and yer never all that far from yer own bed and shower
-Friendly crew
-Beautiful sunrises/sunsets
-Exotic ports of call
-No worries, no problem

A few days at sea enjoying the good life never hurt anyone. As far as their bank accounts go it may be another story completly. But while yer at sea, it all seems worth it. It almost beats flying with todays modern luxury cruisers....

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

USAFHummer

RE: At Sea... Life Is Good.

Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:07 pm

Gotta agree completely...the cruises I have been on have been some of the most memorable vacations Ive ever taken...onboard I feel spoiled real easy and its a shame to disembark at the end back into reality...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Espion007

Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:30 pm

its a shame to disembark at the end back into reality...

thats what the matrix is for

ive never been on a luxury cruise.the closest thing i was on was a ferry between NJ and delaware.just how big are these ships?and how many levels are there?
Snakes on a Plane!

gocaps16

Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:07 pm

Oh yea, you're right.

I have about 2 months of sea time and im going back out to sea in March for another month. In May is when we go out to sea for a good 6-9 months.

Too bad we don't have anything like you mentioned. But the food is great compared to on shore galleys. More meat and better foods to pick then a lousy mystery meat every day for lunch and dinner. It's not first class meals, but it's what normal people eat everyday.

We eventually get command parties. Like my last cruise, we celebrated our first successful engine run in test cell and our DIVO brought us cake and pizza. We talked, goofed off, took alot of pictures to celebrate.

Plenty of activities when you're off working 12 hour shifts. MWR provides sports such as volleyball, football, baseball, basketball, and golf in the hander bay or flight deck. I'm talking on a modern nuclear aircraft carrier.

The people I work with are friendly and so are the civilians. You will sure get to know them really well, being underway for weeks or even months.

Excellent port of calls. My next cruise will be a Western Pacific tour. Travelling to Alaska, Hawaii, Australia, China, Japan, Singapore, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates.

And yes, the final is I've probably never seen such sunrises and sunsets in my life. Probably one of the most beautiful looking sunsets over the Pacific Ocean.

And yes, being out for months, it's a very great way to save up your hard earned cash and use that to buy something expensive when you get back.

Kevin

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:44 am

"ive never been on a luxury cruise.the closest thing i was on was a ferry between NJ and delaware.just how big are these ships?and how many levels are there?"

Well alot of these ships are big. just simply big. Alot of the ships seem to be in the area of around a dozen levels give or take a few... like the last one we were on deck 1 had a first aid center and the rest was crew area, deck 2 throu 10 were regular pax decks and deck 11 was a bar/lounge. so yeah there big. If you go to the edge up on a high deck and lean over trust me, its a hell of a drop... for more go to http://www.royalcaribbean.com or any other cruise line website

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

gocaps16

Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:15 am

Sounds interesting....probably a great place for a honeymoon.

kevin

EA CO AS

Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:24 am

A friend of mine landed his dream job...he's a DJ aboard Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas

He works from around noon to perhaps 4, doing assorted audience participation events at poolside and then doesn't start again until 10pm, working until 3 or 4am in the nightclub onboard.

Free room and board, great tropical beaches and all the single women you can stand, rotating on a weekly basis.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group