Neo
Topic Author

Americans To Be Photographed When Entering Brazil!

Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:59 am

Effective on Jan 1st, all Americans are to be photographed and take finger printed when entering Brazil. This new measure used by the Brazilian government is in response to the new requirements for Brazilian citizens to enter the U.S. As reported, the brazilian government intends to maintain this procedures as long as this new requirements go along.

Just to remember that Americans need a visa to enter Brazil as Brazilian need to enter the U.S. In the other hand europeans do not need visa to enter Brazil, therefore brazilians don't need visa to enter to European countries.

Rgs,

Neo

UTA_flyinghigh

RE: Americans To Be Photographed When Entering Brazil!

Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:00 am

Ha ! Ha ! Ha !  Big thumbs up

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

Neo
Topic Author

Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:04 am

Funny or not it's true!

Neo

FoxBravo

Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:04 am

This is consistent with the tit-for-tat $100 "handling fee" that Brazil imposes on U.S. citizens obtaining tourist visas to Brazil, and now the fingerprinting. I remember when I went to get my Brazilian visa that all the signs at the consulate stressed that the visa itself was free, but the charge was merely to reciprocate for the charge imposed on Brazilian citizens visiting the U.S.

While this is annoying as a practical matter, it's an interesting response, and in my opinion completely justified. I believe that Brazil has every right to require the same of U.S. visitors that the U.S. does of Brazilian visitors...fair's fair.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

Neo
Topic Author

Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:13 am

Yeah, that's true.... Some east european countries still require visa to brazilian visitors, this way they also need visa to visit Brazil.. However they don't have to pay the U$ 100,00 fee.

In my opinion this is somewhat unecessary, although it in Brazil's is right to do so.

The thing which is bugging some brazilians is that this new requirements are only beeing imposed to citizens of some countries.... citzens of countries that do not need visa to get into the US will not be imposed to this new requirements. Therefore some people think it is somehow a matter of discrimination.

Rgs,

Neo

FoxBravo

Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:24 am

Neo, that is interesting that some Brazilians think it is discrimination. I would think people in Brazil would support this sort of reciprocity. Are people worried that it will hurt tourism by making Brazil less appealing to U.S. citizens? I am curious to hear the Brazilian perspective on this.

DeltaSFO

Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:38 am

The reciprocity in and of itself is an acceptable principle, at least to me. I have no problem with going through what Brazilians have to go through when they come to my country.

Friends of mine who are much more knowledgable about Brazilian politics than I am, however, seem to think that it's really more a case of Lula grandstanding than anything else. Neo, what's your opinion on that?
It's a new day. Every moment matters. Now, more than ever.

MidnightMike

Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:44 am

So what, Brazil is the host country, they have the right to do what they want, besides, US citizens always needed a visa to travel to Brazil, though it was not strictly enforced and easy to get.
NO URLS in signature

Neo
Topic Author

Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:35 am

Fox Bravo..... when i said brazilians think it was discrimination, i ment that they felt discriminated that they need to be fingerprinted and citizens from many other countries do not!

In the other hand some people think that this could somehow hurt tourism, turning Brazil less appealing to American tourists, although the majority of tourist that come to brazil are europeans.

In my opinion this restriction may not last for long, at least not in all intl airports. For example, in GIG yesterday if i'm not mistaken, visitors coming from the US did not have to be photographed and fingerprinted. The only reason why this new requirements were adopted, was to attend the right of reciprocity., that's all....i guess.

Rgs,

Neo

FoxBravo

Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:52 am

Oh I see. That makes more sense.  Smile Anyway, I don't think that it will hurt tourism...I think that those Americans who want to visit Brazil (which everyone should, I think!) will do so regardless of whether they need to be fingerprinted. And again, I think it is completely fair for Brazil to impose the same requirements on Americans that we impose on Brazilians.

SlamClick

Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:06 am

I was at the Embraer factory in Sao Jose Dos Campos several years ago picking up an airplane. It was late. They even joked that if Embraer ever delivered an airplane on time that big statue of Christ at Corcovado would clap its hands. (do they still say that at Embraer?) They treated me well during the delay and I got a serious tour of their facilities.

There were posters near many of the telephones reminding users that the phones were non-secure. I don't read Portuguese but the cartoon was pretty obvious. It showed two people talking over a phone line which was tapped. The "spy" at the tap? Washington DC. (spelled vuochinton and complete with the Capital building)

That is who Brazil saw as a threat in 1980.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Notar520AC

Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:05 am

Isn't France doing the same thing now?
BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine