D-AIGW
Topic Author

How Does Bluetooth Work?

Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:05 pm

I've been searching the net but to no avail. How does Bluetooth work? I'd like to know more about its technical specs I hope there are some of these techies up here who know more than I do..

What part of the spectrum do they use, the signals seem to penetrate walls. And if it's only radio wave, how does it differ from ordinary radio wave? What kind of multiplexing is used (time or frequency or what?) to distinguish signals? What kind of modulation is used? If everyone's promoting Bluetooth as the "next generation" communication method, how is it superior to the radio wave that we have long been using?

Thanks in advance!

SInGAPORE_AIR

RE: How Does Bluetooth Work?

Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:28 pm

Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

KLM777

Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:29 pm

I'm thinking about a Bluetooth network between my desktop and laptop. Does anyone have experiences with that? For example how fast is it? I know theoretically 1 Mbit, but practically, how many kb/s do you get?

Thanx in advance!

Jeroen
Every landing is a controlled crash

jwenting

Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:50 pm

why would you use bluetooth for a LAN?
Far faster and convenient to install a regular wireless LAN, and prices are now quite reasonable too.

I wish I were flying

KLM777

Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:23 pm

Thanks for your respond Jeroen. My laptop has integrated Bluetooth, so I only have to buy an adapter for the desktop. Currently I'm currently using a wired LAN.

I would like some freedom of movement, so if the speed of a Bluetooth connection is at least a reasonable 50kb/s, that's fine with me. I don't need a super-fast connection for email or MSN.

Kind regards,

Jeroen Peeters
Every landing is a controlled crash

CPDC10-30

Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:42 pm

It is pointless to use Bluetooth on a desktop PC. The maximum bandwidth is 1/10th of 802.11b and 1/50th of 802.11g. Also, the maximum range is a lot lower, about 30m maximum in real world conditions.

802.11b and even g is very cheap now, no point to limit yourself to save $20 on the extra adapter.

Bluetooth is useful for some things, but not all that many. Think of it as a super-duper remote control or "cable replacement" technology.