cancidas

AIM Viruses

Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:48 pm

somehow, i have gotten yet another virus in my AIM. i don't know how it got onto my computer but i just want it off! i scanned with AVG and Norton and neither of them picked it up. what can i do?

by the way, if anyone here know who is responsible for stupid sh*t like this let me know. i'm in the mood to kick some serious a** right now!!
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

airlinelover

RE: AIM Viruses

Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:23 pm

Stop using AIM.. You must be talking to some bad people, or else somehow people got your IM name.. So:

#1- Format your HDD and start from new..
#2- Get a NEW AIM NAME, and only tell the people you totally trust..
#3- BEFORE GOING ONLINE, install the Virus scanners and then go online and UPDATE RIGHT AWAY..
#4- Update regularly
#5- if you get a virus again, just deal with it.. it happens.. sadly..

Chris

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

garnetpalmetto

Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:33 pm

You hardly need to do anything as drastic as what Chris is saying. What, precisely, is the virus doing?
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

cancidas

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:28 am

it continually erases my buddy profile and makes it nearly impossible to talk to people. i have to click thier name in the buddy list about a million times before a im window pops up. ive tried the virus scan, none of them are able to catch it.

cha747

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:04 am

Cancidas...totally off the topic...what does your screen name mean, if anything? Just curious.
You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin

bobrayner

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:23 am

#1- Format your HDD and start from new..

And he loses his credibility a the very first suggestion! Is this a new record?  Smile
Cunning linguist

SophieMaltese

Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:30 am

A friend of mine just got some sort of AIM bomber virus or something.

jamesag96

Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:15 pm

I use spybot search and destroy...so far has been able to find some things that my mcafree missed...free to download over at downloads.com

Good luck.
J
Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

cancidas

Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:07 pm

cancidas is the name of some medication. when i was trying to choose a screenname i was stuck, looked down at my desk and on a notepad my dad brought from work (he's an MD) was the name cancidas. i said fine, cancidas....

bigphilnyc

Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:06 pm

Actually, Cancidas, I got it from you the other night. Thanks! :-p

It's gone now, though, I think!
Phil Derner Jr.

JBirdAV8r

Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:17 pm

cancidas is the name of some medication. when i was trying to choose a screenname i was stuck, looked down at my desk and on a notepad my dad brought from work (he's an MD) was the name cancidas. i said fine, cancidas....

Cancidas...that is so weird. I went to my parents' house last weekend and was using the computer in my mom's office and she had Cancidas Post-It's all over the desk. I think it had "Cancidas" in maroon letters and some whitish-orangish background?

I guess your dad might be in hematology/oncology?
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

garnetpalmetto

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:02 pm

Cancidas, please contact me offsite and tell me what OS you're running..I may be able to fix you up.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

haveric

Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:44 am

Spybot with the free ZoneLabs firewall stops everything before my virus software neeeds to do anything

Eric

cha747

Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:30 am

Cancidas...thanks. I thought it was curious that a med name would be used as a handle...not many people outside the medical profession even know that it exists. "Can" for candida (yeast) and "cida" for kill (though it is also indicated for resistant aspergillosis). In anycase, it's used for transplant medicine, cancer patients, and people in the ICU. Too bad the real cancidas can't get rid of your computer virus. Best of luck to you.
You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin

cancidas

Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:42 am

thanks !

JBirdAV8r

Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:55 am

Cancidas...thanks. I thought it was curious that a med name would be used as a handle...not many people outside the medical profession even know that it exists. "Can" for candida (yeast) and "cida" for kill (though it is also indicated for resistant aspergillosis). In anycase, it's used for transplant medicine, cancer patients, and people in the ICU. Too bad the real cancidas can't get rid of your computer virus. Best of luck to you.

Cha747...it's basically a fungus (aspergillus?) inside your body...at least invasive aspergillosis is...correct?

It's great having parents in the medical field  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

cha747

Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:49 pm

Cha747...it's basically a fungus (aspergillus?) inside your body...at least invasive aspergillosis is...correct?

Yep...you're right. Bacteria and yeast are floating around us and are on surfaces all around us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week...people with healthy immune systems can keep these things from proliferating once inside the body. The problem is that you get an immunocompromised patient (somebody with HIV disease, somebody who's sick, or somebody who is immunocompromised secondary to medications like a transplant patient) then these bacteria, fungi, and viruses GROW GROW GROW!