latinaviation

Foreign Governments Retaliate Against U.S.

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:35 pm

From the WSJ... any thoughts?

Foreign Governments Retaliate Against U.S. Visa Rules, WSJ Says

Jan. 22 (Bloomberg) -- A number of foreign governments are retaliating against tougher U.S. passport controls, with some raising fees for visas to as much as $100 to match U.S. rates, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing new regulations.

China, Nepal, Pakistan, Thailand, Chile and Russia have all raised visa fees, and Russia requires completing a questionnaire, the Journal said. Brazil, the country most visibly annoyed with new U.S. travel controls, has also begun fingerprinting U.S. visitors, the newspaper said.

While the higher fees and new paperwork aren't onerous, the additional requirements could catch some U.S. travelers by surprise and complicate overseas trips, the Journal said. Most travelers aren't finding it harder to get a visa, except for Brazil, which has tightened its scrutiny of business-travel visa applications, the paper added.

A U.S. State Department spokesman said visa application fees were increased to $100 from $45 in 2002 to cover the cost of processing, the paper said.

teva

RE: Foreign Governments Retaliate Against U.S.

Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:42 pm

Retaliation is a very strong word.
For me, it is just giving the same treatment to everyone.
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

delta-flyer

Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:38 pm

Well, in this case, the US holds the advantage. The cheap US dollar will not deter many travelers from coming here, the extra hassle notwithstanding. But the poor exchange rate for Americans traveling overseas, coupled with the added aggravation of the visa costs and hassles may influence Americans to stay away from these countries.

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

L-188

Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:43 pm

I would like to take this opportunity to thank these governments for making the US citizen even more introverted then they already are.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Filterboy

Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:57 pm

Their was no need for the British government to retaliate as we the British have given you....

The teletubies
Pop Idol (including Simon Cowl)
The crossword
and worst of all the television.

Lan_Fanatic

Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:13 am

I think it's fair.
If foreigners must go to the embassy to spend long times waiting for their visa, plus paying not a cheap amount of dollars, why shouldn't americans pay the same amount of money at the airport? And BTW, this goes also to australians and canadians that come to Chile as far as I know.

MidnightMike

Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:24 am

Once again, as I always said, the Host Country make their own rules, I would not call it Retaltion but rather "Equal Treatment". If tourist, on both sides, do not want to pay for the visa, don't visit the country.
NO URLS in signature