BA
Topic Author

Photos From Downtown Beirut

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:19 am

Thought some of you might be interested in seeing my photos of what was known as the "Paris of the Middle East" in the 1960's and early 1970's before the devastating Civil War.

With the reconstruction going very well, it's now being given the name "Pearl of the Middle East."

These photos are just of downtown, but I think you'll like them.

WARNING: There are lots and lots of photos, so dial-up users....beware....

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?s=fff44f5dbcae629626ada2e330520be1&threadid=27052

Let me know if you have any questions or are having problems with the photos loading.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Sonic

RE: Photos From Downtown Beirut

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:31 am

Photos are really nice. I by the way also frequented skyscreaperspage some time in the past although I never used the forums and sticked to then active skyscreapers.com forums instead.

BTW, BA, this may be not the best place to ask this, but still:
What is your nationality and where do you live? Your profile seem to say Denver, Colorado (USA) as well as Lebanon, also Palestinian and French flags are available in different places of profile (also words Viva la France). So, are you Lebanese only studying in USA or a for-life emmigrant? Or are you descendant of French parents who moved to Lebanon at the time it was mandate territory of France? Or are you descendant of Palestinians who were exiled from their homeland after the Al Nakba war in 1948? Or are you a cosmopolitan and think that nationality is unimportant?..

BA
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:36 am

Sonic,

Check your email. I'm a permanent resident of the US. I'm part Turkish and part Lebanese. France is one of my favorite countries. I love Paris and Nice. I also love Switzerland, perhaps I should put a Swiss flag in my profile.

Regards

[Edited 2004-01-27 01:46:21]
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

asbg

Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:15 am

I'm really impressed...Beirut looks like an amazing city. It reminds me of a mix between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv. Some of the older parts of Tel Aviv have European influences like in the photos.

Sam.

tbar220

Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:39 am

Are Israeli citizens allowed to travel to Lebanon?
NO URLS in signature

asbg

Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:41 am

Tbar220,

Unfortunately not.
Sam.

prosa

Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:53 am

A very nice-looking city, and those were excellent photographs. Thanks for posting them.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

BA
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:54 am

At the moment, if you are an Israeli passport holder or any nationality with an Israeli stamp in your passport, you will be denied entry. The only thing you are allowed to do is you can transit, as long as you do not leave the airport and are in the airport no more than 24 hours.

Perhaps one day........

Regards

asbg

Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:58 am

BA,
Are you saying that I won't be able to enter Lebanon with my American passport that says birthplace: Israel?

Sam.

BA
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:02 am

Asbg,

That's correct.....whether the Lebanese Passport officials will notice your birthplace or not, I'm not sure. Have you visited Israel with your US passport? If so, they will have put an Israeli stamp in your passport on arrival and on departure. The Lebanse Customs officials will check all the visa pages and if they recognize an Israeli stamp, you can't enter Lebanon. Only a 24-hour transit without leaving the airport.

You'll be questioned and held in the airport and put on a flight back to where you came from.

Regards

asbg

Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:07 am

Good point!
Is it like that in all the Arab countries?

I know my dad got a passport published for him in the states because his passport it said that it was renewed in the American embassy in Tel Aviv. That's the only was he could visit Dubai.

BA
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:10 am

Asbg,

It's like that in all Arab countries except Jordan and Egypt which signed peace treaties with Israel.

Regards

asbg

Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:15 am

BA,
Israelis can enter Morocco as well,I think in groups only. Other than that if Qaddafi is serious, Libyan Jews would be able to visit Libya in the future.

BA
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:37 am

I thought I would post the following information about passports and immigration into Lebanon.

The following countries can get a free 1-month visa renewable up to 3-months at the visa desk right before passport control in Beirut International Airport (BEY). Passports must be valid at least 6 months beyond planned duration of stay:

Algeria - Andorra – Antigua and Barbuda – Argentina – Armenia – Australia – Austria – Azerbaijan – The Bahamas – Barbados – Belarus – Belgium – Belize – Bhutan – Brazil – Bulgaria – Canada – Chile – China Rep – Comoros Islands -Costa Rica – Croatia – Cyprus – Denmark – Djibouti - Estonia – Finland – France – Georgia – Germany – Greece – Hong Kong – Iceland – Iraq - Ireland – Italy – Japan - Jordan* – Kazakhstan – Kyrgyzstan – Latvia – Lithuania – Liechtenstein – Luxembourg – Libya - Macedonia – Macau (S A R) – Malaysia – Malta – Mauritania - Mexico – Moldova – Monaco – Morocco - Netherlands – New Zealand – Norway – Palau – Panama – Peru – Poland – Portugal – Russia – Saint Kitts & Nevis – Saint Vincent & The Grenadines – Samoa – San Marino – Singapore – Slovakia – Slovenia – Somalia - Spain – Sudan - Sweden – Switzerland – Tajikistan – Trinidad & Tobago – Tunisia - Turkmenistan – USA – Ukraine – Uzbekistan – Venezuela – Yemen - Yugoslavia.

*Jordanian passport holders may only get a visa at the airport if their passport shows there nationality number. Otherwise, they need to have a valid visa before going to Lebanon.

Syria and Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, Bahrain and United Arab of Emirates) can enter Lebanon without a visa and stay for up to 6 months.

All other nationalities must have a visa before visiting Lebanon.

All passengers must have a non-recoverable round-trip ticket in order to recieve the visa at the airport. The above list only applies to tourist visas. For businesses and other purposes, different restrictions apply.

It's interest how UK passport holders need to apply for a visa before visiting Lebanon...

Asbg,

As you said, Israeli's can only enter Morocco in a group.

Regards

commander_rabb

Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:56 am

As a reminder to American citizens, the Department of State has issued a travel warning on travel to Lebanon.

http://travel.state.gov/lebanon_warning.html

December 4, 2003

This Travel Warning is being updated to remind U.S. citizens of ongoing safety and security concerns in Lebanon. This supersedes the Travel Warning for Lebanon issued May 6, 2003.

The Department of State continues to warn U.S. citizens to consider carefully the risks of travel to Lebanon. U.S. citizens in Lebanon are encouraged to register at the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Beirut where they may also obtain updated information on travel and security in Lebanon.

If you travel to Lebanon, use caution and enjoy the country.

BA
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:35 pm

Lebanon is safe for all foreigners as long as they stay away from the Ansar Al-Islam camp. A fanatical group that is basically against everyone but themselves. They hate the Lebanese government....

You will not find any Ansar Al-Islam camps in Beirut. Only around Saida and a few in Sour.

Commander_Rabb,

I find it very interesting how that website doesn't have a travel warning for Sri Lanka which is much more unstable than Lebanon. The Tamil Tiger Rebels there have been causing lots of problems and have targetted foreigners many times.

[Edited 2004-01-27 04:38:24]

commander_rabb

Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:02 pm

http://travel.state.gov/sri_lanka.html

"Although U.S. citizens have not been specifically targeted, LTTE operations have been planned and executed with the knowledge that Americans and other foreigners might be killed or injured. American citizens traveling or residing in Sri Lanka may be inadvertently caught up in random acts of violence. Travel in restricted areas is dangerous."

There is the warning. You will see it when you scroll down the provided link.

The www.state.gov web site provides up to date travel information for U.S. travelers around the world. I also have access to another government site that provides almost real time information for potential travel by U.S. Government officials but that requires a password and unfortunately I cannot provide that, nor the link.

Shawn Patrick

Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:10 pm

Interesting. Commander_Rabb, what do you do for the government? If you can tell us...

LHMark

Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:18 pm

BA,

Thanks for the pics. They give an uncommon view into a city that most Americans find exotic and mysterious.

Still, I'm a little disappointed. Your photos portray a city of modern glass and stone, with nary a hint of the human element that gives life to a metropolis. Were it not for the obvious Islamic influence on the architecture, it could easily be downtown ROC. Could you please post some pics that shows a bit of life taking place beneath the virgin granite and sandstone? (not a criticism, just a wish)
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

BA
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:19 pm

Ah okay....

I didn't notice it.

LHMark,

I'm not sure what you are requesting. The architecure you see is historical. Built mostly between the 1920s and 1940s....

Regards

[Edited 2004-01-27 06:21:04]

Marco

Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:22 pm

Lebanese architecture is not just centered around Islamic architecture. Lebanese history can be traced back to the Phoenicians, and many other ancient civilizations that have had an important impact on the culture. So, Lebanese architecture is a mixture of both Islamic and Christian/Phoenician/other themes.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

LHMark

Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:29 pm

BA, I like the photos. I'm just hungry for some people-centric shots  Smile
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

BA
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:29 pm

Marco,

All of these buildings are not Phoenician. The Phoenician stuff is underneath the ground. It is long gone. If you want to see Phoenician ruins, you go to Sour or Byblos.

A few of the buildings were built in the 1800's by the Ottomans such as the Grand Serail.
Most of the architecture you see in the above photos is neo-French/Ottoman, thus the Islamic arches mixed with the "French feel". Most of the buildings there were built between the 1920's and 1940's.

Regards

[Edited 2004-01-27 06:32:26]

BA
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:30 pm

LHMark,

Oh, you mean not enough people. Downtown is mostly a night spot. You can barely walk around at night in downtown because it is so crowded.

Most people go to the coastline during the day.

Regards

LHMark

Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:32 pm

I see what you mean, BA.

In the US, it's hard to gauge life in Lebanon, but your photos left me hungry for more. Perhaps that's the mark of a budding journalist.

BA
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:37 pm

Interesting fact about Beirut is there are 6 layers of "older" Beirut underneath the current Beirut. Beirut is an archeological haven.

Many civilizations fought over the city. The Phoenicians, the Greeks, the Romans, the Byzantines, the Crusaders, the Mamelukes, and the Ottomans...

Regards

A330Fan1

Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:40 pm

WOW!!! Beirut looks awesome, looks like it's very historic and lots of stuff to see / do!!! VERY good pictures, thanks a bunch

-A330Fan1

tbar220

Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:38 pm

It looks like a beautiful city. I only wish that as an Israeli, I will someday be allowed to visit this place.
NO URLS in signature

asbg

Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:28 pm

Where my base is we have a full panoramic view of southern Lebanon. It does look like a beautiful country!

Sam.

Sonic

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:03 pm

It probably isn't hard for Israelis to get there, at least ones in the army. They did it so many times in the past...  Big grin

BA, I am very sorry I did not noticed your e-mail on-time because I have two e-mail adresses in different places and from computer which I was using last night I was able to use only the other one. I will send you the other address today so next time you would be able to send a copy of each letter to each address.

GC

Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:53 pm

BA any thoughts on why UK travellers need a visa but USA and Ireland don't ?

Maybe if Scotland becomes independant we can be like Ireland and bypass this Big grin

Aside form that, it looks like a beautiful city, reminds me a little of Valletta in Malta (one of my favourite places)

asbg

Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:04 pm

It probably isn't hard for Israelis to get there, at least ones in the army. They did it so many times in the past...

As a soldier that serves in that area I'm curious to know what you meant when you posted that statement??!!

BTW, Israel retreated from southern Lebanon in 2000.

Kay

Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:19 pm

LOL! you got a picture of where I work!!

Where it says "UN headquarters in Lebanon"

Big thumbs up

BA
Topic Author

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:10 am

Gc,

Until November of last year. UK citizens COULD get a visa at the airport. I do not know why they can't anymore. Sri Lanka, Czech Republic, Thailand, and Hungary also since November cannot get the visa at the airport anymore.

The countries have to provide Lebanon with some sort of information about the citizen in order to visit the country and I assume the UK is no longer providing the necessary information.

Hopefully it is only temporary.

Check out this website with more info on visas:

http://www.surete-generale.gov.lb

Regards

leviticus

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:19 am

Hi there BA !

Thanks for the great pics, I have a slight problem maybe you could answer my question. The thing is that I have been wanting to go to Lebanon for quite a while now but as I frequently travel to the United States I am a bit worried about the passport control, will it cause trouble if I have a Lebanese stamp ? I had friends who were denied entry to the US because they had Syrian stamps in their passports. However I have a Hungarian passport to but as I see now I need a visa for that, and that's quite a hassle I suppose.

Sonic

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:31 am

Ashg, this was a joke as the smile indicated. I meant many military actions by Israel to Lebanon in the past ("they did it so many times in the PAST"). I know currently Israeli land army has retreated from all Southern Lebanon except for Sheba Farms region (which is part of Syria according to UN, not Lebanon).

BA
Topic Author

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:32 am

Leviticus,

The thing is that I have been wanting to go to Lebanon for quite a while now but as I frequently travel to the United States I am a bit worried about the passport control, will it cause trouble if I have a Lebanese stamp ?

No problems at all. They will just ask you what you were doing in Lebanon. You just tell them you were there for tourist purposes or whatever other reason.

I am surprised about the Syrian stamps however. These friends of yours, did they get the Syrian stamps in their US passports and they were denied entry into the US because of those stamps?

I don't see how the US can deny entry to its own US citizens......

Regards

haveric

Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:38 am

Looks nice. Too bad they won't let me in.

asbg

Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:07 am

Sonic,
I saw the wink as a sarcastic remark  Smile, I was wrong.
You were right about Shabaa Farms. Lebanon claims the land belongs to them. Actually, the city of Shabaa is a few Kilometers from where I am. I can see the city from my base.
Sam.

MEA310

Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:34 am

Leviticus

I as a Lebanese have travelled several times to the US with my Lebanese passport & never had any problems...Not sure about the Syrian stamps though?!It doesn't matter as long as they are US nationals...

Asbg

Lets hope someday both our countries will sign a peace treaty & just live as neighbours,though the chances of such a thing are minor.

MEA310
M5 Fastest Sedan On Earth

leviticus

Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:35 am

BA and MEA310,

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll take the risk soon then.  Wink/being sarcastic

These friends of yours, did they get the Syrian stamps in their US passports and they were denied entry into the US because of those stamps ?

That is almost correct, we met up in Europe before traveling to the states together, they had just spent a week in Syria and had Syrian stamps and visas in their British passports, they were told to go back home because people who have been to the "axis of evil and their allies" are not welcome, so they were put back on the first plane to LHR while I was allowed in, I had my Swedish passport with only a lot of Eastern European stamps.

BA
Topic Author

Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:45 am

That is very strange Leviticus......I really don't know what to say.

If you are a US citizen, you cannot be denied entry from visiting an "axis of evil" country...

Regards

BA
Topic Author

Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:35 am

Not that this is very important, but would anyone be interested in me making a post with pictures of Beirut Airport in the Civil Aviation forum? Beirut is hoping to compete with Dubai as another gateway to the Middle East and Asia in the future.

Would anyone be interested?

Regards

Delta767300ER

Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:02 pm

I enjoyed viewing the photos. Beirut looks like an awesome place to visit. I'm a big fan of the Arab world and I had no idea how nice Beirut was. I am a big fan of Dubia though!

-Delta767300ER

ScarletHarlot

Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:38 pm

BA, those are fascinating, thank you! I had read that Beirut was beautiful, and your photos confirm that it still is.

I noticed a lot of luxury cars on the streets (including one Ferrari!). Is this usual?
But that was when I ruled the world

yyz717

Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:41 pm

Amazing photos BA! Thanks for posting!

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

RayChuang

Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:52 pm

Speaking of which, have they finally demolished that infamous unfinished hotel on the Beirut waterfront that was used as a sniper's nest during the civil war?

BN747

Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:51 pm

Great photos BA!!! One question...how late do the bars and nightclubs stay open???

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

MEA310

Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:58 pm

ScarletHarlot

Luxury cars are a very common sight in Beirut,ferrari,Hummer,Lamborghini....
but this lineup belongs to Arab tourists,mostly Saudis,although Lebanese people(no more than 20-30%)have eye catching cars..

BN747

Nightclubs open till dawn,around 4am or a bit more..

MEA310

Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:02 pm

Forgot to mention that if you're interested in reading/seeing more about Beirut,here's the link:

http://www.downtownbeirut.com/