707CMF

How I Spun My Car On The Snow...

Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:18 pm

Okay, this happened yesterday while driving to work. As you might know (and don't care), I live up a mountain (the Dent du Chat) overseeing the CMF area (very good for spotting, great view, peaceful surroundings....)

However, in winter, it often snows, and one has to drive carefully, especially when coming down (up is usually no problem).

Yesterday, while entering my car, I knew that I had snow tires on the front, so there shouldn't be any problem for me.
What I did not knew (and did not check), was that my rear tires were quite worn, and that alone cancels all the positive effect of winter tires.

So here I am, driving slowly, carefully, not using the brake, and then it happens... the road curves (a little), so I slowly turn the steering wheel... and the rear wheels block themselves...
My car start to spin slowly, and I tells to myself "there should be no problem, I was aimed in the good direction, the car should followw its inertia and stay on the road and stop very quickly."
Of course, that didn't happen. The road was not level, so the car immediately aimed for the left side, where the precipice was. Okay, nt that much of a precipice (only 5 or 6 meter high, but very steep, and with a lot of trees - I knew if I went pass the cliff, I would at least hit a tree, and kiss my car goodbye...)

Fortunately, I seemed to be in luck, my car stopped on the edge of the cliff, right between two trees without hitting those...

As you can see on the pictures, I was indeed in luck. However, the front right wheel not touching the ground, I decided not to try and drive it away myself, so I called a breackdown truck who hauled me back on the orad. (just had to wait one hour in the cold for it to arrive...)

Note the elegant track my car followed while doing its 345 degrees spin  Wink/being sarcastic

While waiting for the truck, a snowplough drove by (I wish he had cleaned up that road an hour earlier !!!). I signalled the driver that my car was there, so that he does not throw snow on it (I was a bit concerned of the equilibrium of my ride at that moment). Well, as you can see on this photo, its track show that even this snowplough skidded on that part of the road.

Fortunately, now my car is back out of the ditch, nothing as been hit on it, and I have a set of pictures to show (unfortunately, they cannot make it to A.net database...)

707, lucky and safe

SN-A330

RE: How I Spun My Car On The Snow...

Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:25 pm

707CMF, don't drink and drive. Now you see you should stay away from Champagne, Cognac,...  Nuts  Nuts

Cheers, SN-A330
I would rather be flying...

UTA_flyinghigh

Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:38 pm

707cmf discovers the joys of having snow tires upfront and slick tires on the back (a spin just waiting to happen).
For the record, I managed to spin the same car at 50 km/h on the wet Big grin

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

ben

Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:47 pm

Nice number plate...  Wink/being sarcastic

fritzi

Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:19 pm

Good to see that you didnt hit the tree, as you may then have had a small brawl with your insurance company.

May I suggest that you fit slicks on the front axle aswell. Then next time that happens, you can just sit back and relax when loosing control as you will know that there is nothing you can do to avoid the ditch.  Nuts

KROC

Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:48 pm

Thanks for sharing that.

Signed, Absolutely Nobody

JBirdAV8r

Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:52 pm

Another intelligent posting by Queen Plugger of Elbonia. Brilliant!
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

DaV

Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:54 pm

Can you actually have a custom plate in Franc...er, Elbonia?!?! You'll learn something new everyday!

DaV
Two monologues do not make a dialogue

gordonsmall

Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:18 pm

707CMF - Nice one!

I've never done any damage by skidding in the snow, but like you I live in the middle of nowhere and I've had my fair share of roller-coaster rides while driving in the snow.

On the other hand, I did manage to write-off my first car when I was 17 on a wet, greasy roundabout when I was being a complete tosser and trying to show everyone my "superior" driving skills. Luckily my current car has four wheel drive with an electronically controlled front/rear split differential - so no wheelspins or slides for me now.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

If there's a racetrack with a driving school in Elbonia, they should probably have a skidpan, book yourself a session on it with an instructor - driving on ice or snow is a no-brainer after that.

Regards,
Gordon.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

JBirdAV8r

Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:21 pm

On the other hand, I did manage to write-off my first car when I was 17 on a wet, greasy roundabout when I was being a complete tosser and trying to show everyone my "superior" driving skills. Luckily my current car has four wheel drive with an electronically controlled front/rear split differential - so no wheelspins or slides for me now.

Go out and drive on a sheet of ice like that and see just how well it works!!  Big thumbs up

maiznblu_757

Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:25 pm

Are you from Elbonia Michigan?  Big grin

gordonsmall

Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:38 pm

Go out and drive on a sheet of ice like that and see just how well it works!!

It would still work! I must admit that I was skeptical about it at first myself but having tested it on everything from a road covered in an inch of ice to a 3 inch deep river running down the street I can confirm that it will not let the car get out of control - the car just will not allow any of the wheels to spin, if it can't get traction on any wheel it just won't move, it sits there revving it's nuts off with no power getting to the wheels (you can still turn it off when you want a bit of fun on a track)!

In the case of a slide/spin the car feeds power to the wheels independently to stop the slip - it's not fool proof, so if you go barreling into a pool of standing water in a powerslide you're goosed - but in terms of normal driving on icy or snow covered roads it's a god-send, it's never let me down yet - best £500 I ever spent!

Regards,
Gordon.

UTA_flyinghigh

Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:49 pm

The King Plugger of Elbonia being myself Big grin

Gordonsmall - your ride is an Evo ?!? wish I could afford that.
But then again, I work at Get Away  Sad

UTA

[Edited 2004-01-29 13:51:48]
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

gordonsmall

Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:07 pm

Gordonsmall - your ride is an Evo ?!?

Ha! - I wish! No, not an Evo unfortunately (  Crying ), my annual salary doesn't quite stretch to that (doesn't come anywhere close actually, despite what some people think, and I've still got student loans to pay off!) - it's a Vauxhall Cavalier - the 4 Wheel drive Turbo model with a modified ECU that gives full authority traction control along with the addition of some clever sensors.

The Cav 4X4 turbo already has a form of ECU traction control as standard, but it only works for traction - with the additional sensors added it will sense when you're in a slide and vary the power output to the wheels independently, clever kit and a snip at £500 fully fitted! I believe the kit can be added to any car that has 4 wheel drive and ECU controlled limited slip differentials.

Regards,
Gordon.

[Edited 2004-01-29 15:10:51]

Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:12 am

I think we should petition Johan to let 707cmf change his handle to Francios Delacour.

*waits to see if anyone gets it*

The key is to keep the car on the Dark stuff and not in the trees. Simply put I bet that was fun and sincerly hope you did not have to urinate at the time.

707CMF

Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:30 am

I think we should petition Johan to let 707cmf change his handle to Francios Delacour.
Nah, I drive a Vauxhall/Opel, not a Mitsubishi

Keeping the car on the dark stuff is indeed a good idea... when there is dark stuff !!!

airlinelover

Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:42 am

I am unimpressed.

Signed,
Singapore_Air
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

AOMlover

Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:43 am

OMG !!!
It's pretty snowy at la Quenotte du Minou !!!
I feel sorry for your car :'(

N312RC

Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:48 am

Youre lucky you didnt smash into one of those trees or go down in that ravine!
N/A

Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:27 am

If you wanna get that technical CMF I am not 100% up to date on WRC news since its damn near impossible to get in the states but I think the only way Delacour is going to be participating in a rally this year or last would be walking.

707CMF

Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:34 am

It's pretty snowy at la Quenotte du Minou !!!

La Quenotte du Minou !!!! ROTFLMAO !!!!  Laugh out loudD I Shall (les eaux) repeat it a lot tomorrow !!

But my car is safe, fortunately

Youre lucky you didnt smash into one of those trees or go down in that ravine!

My point exactly. Well, the ravine is not very deep (only 5 or 6 meters), but it would have been enough for me to buy a new car. Which I absolutely do not want.

Sabena332

Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:44 am

Antoine,

I am glad that nothing happened to you and to your car!

By the way, nice license plate  Big thumbs up

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

aerobalance

Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:49 am

Actually,

I think Peter Solberg and 707cmf enjoy the ice just as equally, especially after Solbergs' Monte Carlo run last weekend!

Ex-FF SSCA driver here, current drag racer and rabid F1 and WRC fan....
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

L-188

Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:07 pm

Do yourself a favor, Jack up the front end and visually check to see if you bent any of the steering gear.

I went of the road one time in my old truck and it bent the tie rod where it connects to the wheel.

Didn't notice it at first, until I noticed that tire wearing excessively.

If nothing looks bent, then it should be fine but pay particular attention to the linkages on the driver side, since that is the side that was being forced into the snow.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Dash8King

Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:22 pm

Wow do you have any more of these very, very interesting stories???

If you do keep them to yourself, spare us!

707CMF

Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:47 pm

Do yourself a favor, Jack up the front end and visually check to see if you bent any of the steering gear.

I went of the road one time in my old truck and it bent the tie rod where it connects to the wheel.

Didn't notice it at first, until I noticed that tire wearing excessively.

Good idea. I'll have it check soon. Thanks for the advice

UTA_flyinghigh

Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:50 pm

As an ex-Group N/Saxo Cup racer and having driven 707cmf's trash ca..er, car, I must say that the rear tires were evn slicker than F1 tires now that thses have grooves. So slick that I manged to spin the thing on a roundabout near LYS; the rear lost traction on acceleration (I don't lift when spinning lol  Smile) and my only option was to execute a 180 deg. turn to take the first available exit. 707cmf was contemplating getting a new car from my savings account during the seconds this happened as there was barely enough space for one car on the aforemntioned roundabout.
BTW, I am so not buying that car when he finally gets rid of it  Laugh out loud
Finally, let me mention that 707cmf's favorite WRC team is Citroen as their cars are sponsored by Telefonica Movistar  Laugh out loud

UTA

L-188

Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:51 pm

I wouldn't pay any money for it, unless you are taking it in to have something else done to it already, you know, one of those "since it is on the rack allready". Unless you notice it doing something that it didn't in the past, like a light wobble on the front end.

You should be able to tell, especially if you know somebody that has a simular car as a reference. You might not even need a jack, there may be enough room to stick your head under there. Or else just pop the tire off, and look over it yourself.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

JBirdAV8r

Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:51 pm

The King Plugger of Elbonia being myself Big grin

You betcha!!!!  Big thumbs up  Big grin

Hey 707cmf, not to worry...it happens to the best of us. I had to rescue some poor woman and her kids in a Grand Cherokee stuck sideways on a hill a month ago...just before that, I was stopped in traffic pointed down the icy hill myself, and after I had been sitting for awhile (bout 10mins), foot on the brake...I started sliding...talk about a helpless feeling  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Chi-town

Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:32 am

Reminding me.....yesterday, me and my friends went out in my friends mom's dodge caravan sport minivan. We have about 3 or 4 inches of snow on the ground here in the Chicagoland area. We took the van into an empty school parking lot and did donuts for atleast 20 min. haha, It was so much fun! The best way to do one is to gain up speed to about 30 mph, pull the emergency brake, and then turn the wheel hard. It feels like youre on the tilt-a-whirl at the carnival. You can also do this in reverse! It's even better!  Big grin good times!

unattendedbag

Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:44 pm

Looking at the tracks in the road, it doesn't look like anyone else had trouble navigating that treacherous stretch of road?

Taking a quote from Northwest Airlines, I guess "some people just know how to drive"!
Slower traffic, keep right

sebolino

Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:02 am

I knew that I had snow tires on the front

Arf. It's said everywhere to change the 4 tyres when you switch for winter tyres.  Big grin

707CMF

Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:04 am

Looking at the tracks in the road, it doesn't look like anyone else had trouble navigating that treacherous stretch of road?

You know, everything needs a first time...

Taking a quote from Northwest Airlines, I guess "some people just know how to drive"!

You might read better, you would have discovered the official reason was the slickness of the rear tires...

unattendedbag

Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:47 am

You might read better, you would have discovered the official reason was the slickness of the rear tires...

I thought the rear wheels "blocked themselves", whatever that means. And from reading the post "better" a second time, it sounds like you were driving at a snails pace around the corner, Im sure no faster than anyone else prior.

Im glad you were not injured, and yes indeed, there is a first time for everything. Thank you from breaking the mold for the rest of us  Smile
Slower traffic, keep right