gregjet

The Best Place To Live In The U.S

Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:59 pm

Where is the best place to live in the U.S I love Detroit but its just 2 damn cold any suggestions

yanksn4

RE: The Best Place To Live In The U.S

Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:05 pm

Well here are my nominees:

-Denver (currently live here, great state, great teams (except the rockies and kind of the nuggets), greatest scenery in the country with the Denver Skyline and Rocky Mountains, one of the cleanest cities out there, no shortage of big homes (however, be aware of really no property))

-New York City (born and raised there,do I have to mention anything.)
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

DLKAPA

Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:07 pm

Denver is all right, like yanks said, scenery wise, but northeast arkansas, is perfect. quiet rural life, excellent bass fishing all summer, not a real care in the world. My place to get away from it all.

DLKAPA
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

vafi88

Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:15 pm

Denver is really great in a sense of the scenery, and the aviation society Big grin.

Kinda the middle life, not to careless, and not like a big city, just right.

Vitaly
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

KYIPpilot

Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:20 pm

I love Detroit too, but I wouldn't call it the best place. A few years back, Hawaii was voted as the most healthful state to live in.

Although Crapchester must rank up there, too...  Laugh out loud
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

gregjet

Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:21 pm

what about some places hot but not 2 hot

LOT767-300ER

Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:47 pm

"I love Detroit too, but I wouldn't call it the best place"

LMFAO  Laugh out loud

gocaps16

Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:04 pm

I here detroit ranked number 1 city in crimes....i'll stay away from there.

Kevin

COIAH99

Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:33 pm

If you can put up with the heat for about 3 months out of the year, I would tell you Houston, Texas. Houston does have a pretty bad reputation as being dirty, bad quality of air, etc. Where I live in particular (Kingwood) it's actually really nice. Very quiet, clean, nice homes, parks. Plenty of sports teams to go and watch. Astros should be fun this year!
Another city would be Minneapolis. Lived there for 4 years. Only draw back. Too damn cold in the winter.
Work Hard Fly Right

electraBob

Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:44 pm

Another Detroiter here (actually just West of Detroit)....

If I could live in any area that I have visited, my choices would be....

Colorado Springs
San Diego
Seattle
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a swimming pool.....

sushka

Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:53 pm

I dunno but I wouldn't mind Arizona in the suburbs of PHX.
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

pilot kaz

Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:58 pm

lol never been there but would luv 2 mind that,

I think i would like to try out New york or Miami lol (im a typical Brit hehe)
-

texan

Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:24 am

Austin, TX. Great food, great music, in the Hill Country, San Antone is only an hour or so away (depending on traffic) if you get the need to visit a theme park or go shopping on the Riverwalk, THE University of Texas Longhorns are nearby, Texas state politics, Dell's HQ, Schlotsky's HQ, the LBJ Presidential Library, Trudy's Mexican Food, real Texas country, and Marble Falls and other beautiful areas of the Hill Country are just a hop, skip, and jump away.

Also like Destin, FL; Colorado Springs; Boston; and, of course, Midland and Dallas!!!

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

BMAbound

Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:01 am

Western Montana/Idaho Panhandle. Great hunting, fishing, flying, skiing, down-to-earth people, lots of space, no pollution, scenery, good-sized cities, four great seasons and bla bla bla...

Sorry guys, but it's just the best!  Big grin

johan
Altitude is Insurance - Get Insured

Delta767300ER

Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:17 am

Well, Here would be my choices:

1. Dallas, TX
2. Phoenix, AZ
3. Atlanta, GA
4. Los Angeles, CA
5. Las Vegas, NV
14,956. Rochester, NY Big grin

-Delta767300ER

bobrayner

Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:22 am

Western Montana/Idaho Panhandle. Great hunting, fishing, flying, skiing, down-to-earth people, lots of space, no pollution, scenery, good-sized cities, four great seasons and bla bla bla...

I spent a few short weeks in Coeur d'Alene; loved it, can't wait to go back...
Cunning linguist

The Shadow

Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:36 am

Guantanamo Bay; its US soil after all.

BN747

Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:27 pm

Hawaii or South Florida or Bel Air, Hollywood Hills, Beverly Hills,Malibu,Santa Monica, Marina Del Rey, Westwood or West LA, Hollywood (not the skanky part) Hancock Park, the beach cities south of LAX...and if you must choose between the states of Montana and the Valley....I guess the Valley wins. Oh yeah...parts of San Diego.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

IMissPiedmont

Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:43 pm

The last place in the US that I recommend you living in, is Pima County, Arizona. It was somewheare near 70 degrees today but will drop to below 30 in the next 24 hours.

Not to mention the rain. There has been nearly 1 inch in the last month and the rivers are nearly impassible. And the snow? I expect almost 1/4 inch in my yard by Tuesday morning.

I'd never live there.

EDIT. But then it does get warm in the summer, near 115 degrees. I guess even the worst place has something to brag about.

[Edited 2004-02-02 05:46:08]
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

JAL777

Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:45 pm

If you don't mind the snow... Maine.

Delta767300ER

Detroiters

Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:47 pm

Hello to all that is from Detroit, or likes Detroit. Believe it or not I'm a fan of Detroit. I know it has its bad areas and crime is pretty high (Usually in the top 5 along with Atlanta, St. Louis, & Newark) but I have always enjoyed my trips to Detroit. I guess I like the whole "Motor City" attitude.

Alright I'll shut up now, I just thought I would share that with you.

-Delta767300ER

sccutler

Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:16 pm

So many great choices.

There are the "if I could simply plant myself there and not worry about actually paying for it" places- Kauai fits nicely, maybe Santa Fe, New Mexico (too many Californians, though).

There are the "after hearing all that bad stuff, who knew how nice it really was" places- Pittsburgh (no really, Pittsburgh!); Columbus, Ohio; the Florida panhandle (Tallahassee).

For a big city, I love my hometown of Dallas, but that could be sentimentality; I also love Houston, though I'd choose close-in (Heights?), rather than Kingwood, just personal preference.

I am most fond, however, of the central Texas hill country, west of San Antonio, out Kerrville, Leakey, that way. Nice folks, easy living, actually cools down at night even in the summer.

Southern California? A desert with pipes; one good earthquake away from complete anarchy. Lived there, had fun, moved away, don't miss it.

Except for the strawberries. I miss those. And the white corn. That was good too.

And In-n-Out Burgers.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

garnetpalmetto

Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:02 pm

I'd say some place like Charleston, SC would. LOTS to do, close to the beach but not TOO far from mountains (about 2 hours away). It gets nice and warm, but you still get the sea breeze. Lots of good restaurant, good tourism industry, decent colleges in town (The Citadel and College of Charleston), lots of history...beautiful architecture. Aviation-wise? Home to Charleston AFB, which has C-17s based there and occasionally sees C-5s and C-141s.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

a340pilot

Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:20 pm

A small town in Washington state called BELLINGHAM! I have the choice of living in Vancouver BC Or the USA, I choose to live in Canada but If I had to live in The USA It would definitely be Bellingham (except for the traffic on Meridian) Other than that it is a quaint little town!  Big grin

Best regards,
a340pilot
Go! Canucks Go!

csavel

Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:41 am

I'm a Noo Yawkah born and bred and it is the capital of the world. No other city even remotely like it. I think it is the best place to live in the US even if it costs a small fortune to actually do that.

Outside of NYC,

San Francisco Bay Area- most beautiful city in the States. If it weren't so damned expensive....
Seattle - great scenery, pretty downtown
Philadelphia - pretty downtown, fair amount of culture, good ethnic mix, hot babes at Penn, much better than its reputation.

Note that I can't bear hot weather, so the sunbelt is out for me, unless it is Southern California, but I do kind of like Atlanta.

Dishonorable mention - Binghamton NY, a miasma of despair. Just take about 500 sleeping pills and be done with it. It'll be quicker.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

LHMark

Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:46 am

Cleveland. Ohio, of course! We have culture, great sports teams, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and a happening entertainment scene. Sure, it can get really cold in the winter, but you can warm yourself in front of the nice roaring fire on the surface of the river.

Signed, Alpha1
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

USAirways737

Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:54 am

Minneapolis/St. Paul is really a nice place to live. I've lived here the last six years and still enjoy it. The snow is the only drawback, but it is not as bad as it is made out to be. This being said after I just spent 45min sholveling the 12inches we've just gotten over the weekend. But hey I did get a snow day out of it!

But what M/SP really has to offer is four seasons, great outdoors stuff (i.e. fishing, boating, hunting, jetskiing, snowmobiling, skiing, snowboarding, etc etc), great schools, plenty of sports teams, Mall of America and finally, two downtowns. My only advice, be prepared to spend a lot for housing especially if your from the south, and two, bring a snow blower, shovels suck.

Erik in MSP

Espion007

Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:18 am

Why not try Washington DC?you live right by the most famous monuments in the country,and can easily get around without a car.Its a quick 3 hour drive to some great beach resort towns and 1-2 hr drive to 3 different ski resorts in the mountains.theres the kennedy center for all of you who like theatre,and the Uptown movie theater which has the biggest screen ive ever seen.If you can get around paris,then great! DC resembles paris because it's road plan was built by a french guy(take that freedom frites!).We get almost no hurricanes,and usually its never as cold as new england.You'll be likely to spot a famous senator or anyone who runs the gov cause everything is right in the damn city!there are protests infront of the white house about everything soif you have nothing better to do you can join in.Of course,were all aviation fans,and theres the national air and space museum right by the mall.You are also 30min away from the Udvar-hazy center,and the banks of the potomac has great places to get close to aircraft landing at reagon Natl.That should all compensate for the horrifically high murder rates and the terribly expensive houses  Smile

[Edited 2004-02-03 02:19:24]
Snakes on a Plane!

sushka

Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:25 am

Ugh DC... Wouldn't want to live there.
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

kbuf737

Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:40 am

Buffalo N.Y. (Small town America in the Big City way) - Four true seasons, with absolutely gorgeous summers. The attractions of a large city with the hustle and bustle of a small one. (1.5 million people in region) Near Niagara Falls, the rapidly growing Las Vegas of the east with spectacular scenery. Good school systems, low cost of living, with a decent sized house in the suburbs for about 140K. Pro sports (Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres), minor league baseball with major league atmosphere (20,000 seat ballpark) Awesome food. Festivals all summer long and into the fall and winter there are many. Numerous Universities and Colleges. Great food and culture. Downtown night life is alive and well with dozens of bars in the Chippewa Party district. Everything you could ask for is right here. And one more thing. The food, some of the best in America, take chicago style and new York style, put them together and you have Buffalo cuisine, an awesome eclectic mix.

Other considerations:

The Big Four: NYC, Philly, DC, and Boston - one cannot go wrong with any of these towns

Cleveland and Baltimore - Two cities that have revived themselves.

Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater and Sarasota-Bradenton - gotta love the Gulf Coast

Charleston - Refined, small, beautiful

The tower? Rapunzel!!!!!!

LHMark

Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:36 am

KBUF737, are you referring to Buffalo, NY, the "Pearl of Lake Ontario?"

Boston's pretty awesome, if you don't mind some annoying blue laws, but i think Hoboken, NJ may take the cake. Cheaper than Manhattan, and only a two minute ferry ride away!
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

jutes85

Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:45 am

A small town in Washington state called BELLINGHAM

Yes, nice little town, visited it many times.

I don't want to sound Ant-Americam, and I'm not, but I would not want to live anywhere else but Canada. I've been to the US many times and this is what I've noticed - crazy highways, and rude people, well they were to me, probably because I had a "I am Canadian" t-shirt on.

For the sake of the topic I would have to say Naples, Florida.
nothing

KROC

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:42 am

Buffalo - aka The Pearl of Lake Ontario....How can that town get any run. Clearly it is a failing city that looks more like it was transplanted from Mississippi than the "Pearl" of any lake. Hell, it should be called the bag of trash on Love Canal.

Twistedwhisper

Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:51 am

Nobody even mentioned Kentucky Bluegrass, is it really that bad to live there?  Wink/being sarcastic
Read between the lines.

LHMark

Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:18 am

Twisted whisper, it depends on your feelings about coal mining and incest.

kbuf737

Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:03 am

First of all Buffalo is on Lake Erie. The pearl of Lake Ontario that would be Rochester or Toronto. Buffalo is the Queen City of the Lakes. Maybe not the queen she used to be but still, a rust belt city that has come a long way in 10 years.
The tower? Rapunzel!!!!!!

Chi-town

Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:21 am

What else is there to say?

Chi-town

Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:26 am

My top 5 would be....

1. Chicago, IL
2. Phoenix, AZ
3. San Diego, CA
4. Las Vegas, NV
5. Dallas, TX

Usairwys757

Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:47 am

Phoenix, AZ
Atlanta, GA (My biased opinion)
Charlotte, NC
Charleston, SC
Inactive.....

gigneil

Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:53 am

I loved Denver...

...but I will never live anywhere but DC (where I am now) or New York City ever again, unless its an exotic overseas destination.

N

jcs17

Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:01 am

-Manhattan
-Long Island (not including Queens and Brooklyn)
-Westchester Cty.
-Fairfield Cty.
-North from Ft. Lauderdale to Pt. Saint Lucie
-Dallas Cty. (Texas)
-Chicago
-Parts of Los Angeles and Orange County
-San Diego
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Espion007

Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:22 am

Ok,well vandalism is a bit of a prob in the DC area. I took this picture a week ago.the truck has been sitting in the plaza for months like this Big grin its right behind my house.

Snakes on a Plane!

SESGDL

Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:05 am

Minneapolis/St. Paul area. Cleanest place in the world, big cities, no crime, and four seasons.

Jeremy

AlekToronto

Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:57 am

Having lived in the States for several years I would say that the "best" place depends on what you want out of the place you are living in..a lot depends on the weather that you thrive in and how busy you like it!

I happen to be a "heat" or warm weather person so my favs are:
SAN DIEGO (my overall favorite)
Miami
Honolulu

Mild weather
I love Portland and Seattle
Denver is nice too
San Francisco is beautiful but expensive as hell..

4 seasons
Chicago and New York are the bomb..for large city lovers..
Boston
Philadelphia

I have visited Buffalo many many times..and I like it, but wouldn't live there..but it does get a bad rap.

Places i would not live include:
West Palm Beach
Los Angeles
Baltimore
(no offense to residents to those cities!)

cheers!
Alek

North County

Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:33 am

Oh Chitown ....

Parents moved out here to San Diego from Chicago...my mother's relative visit all the time --- they love it here - they don't like the snow.

Would love to spend one year in Chicago as long as I can move back to North San Diego County.

sleekjet

Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:30 am

Woodstock, Vermont

Fort Kent, Maine

Rockwall, TX (current hometown; where the residents were smart enough to vote themselves "dry" again this past weekend)
II Cor. 4:17-18

Pendrilsaint

Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:11 pm

Ugh, New York is nice to visit, but I have found that living here kind of sucks. It's expensive, crowded, constantly noisy, full of rude people,cold, and transportation is a mess. Give me:
Atlanta-Warm, sunny, polite, and the North side is all new and sparkly
Denver-Beautiful, and Clean
Asheville, NC-The mountains are wonderful, city life but not too big.
Northampton, MA-Charming little college town that is clean and somewhat friendly
Charlotte, NC- Clean and sparkly like Atlanta
Chapel Hill, NC-Perfect college town, warm, and who doesn't love UNC. =)
and honorable mention-
Boston- Fairly clean, but way way way too cold in winter, and rude drivers.

GD727

Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:22 pm

Wow, a lot of city lovers on this forum. If I could live anywhere, I would either live in one of these places:

-The Lakes Region Of New Hampshire- I love New Hampshire, it is a beautiful state. I like mountains and lakes and the Lakes Region has plenty of both. Plus, even though the area is fairly rural (other than the city of Laconia), there is plenty to do.

-One of the Hawaiian Islands, Other than Oahu- Unfortunately, I've never been to Hawaii, but I know it is sure as hell beautiful. I wouldn't want to live on Oahu though, too much urban sprawl from Honolulu.

Two complete different environments, I know, but I would like to live at either.

-GD727
Mmmm forbidden donut.

IMissPiedmont

Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:10 pm

Chi-town, What else is there to say?

I'll start with it's a great place to visit but I would not want to live there. I'll just stick to my corner of desert and hope the city folk remain afraid of wildlife.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

keesje

Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:40 am

seattle seems pretty ok

not so cold in the winter or hot in the summer

lots of green & woods, nice coast, mountains nearby

civilized society, multi cultural, low crime rate (? I believe)

good coffee, good place..

is portland about the same ?

Vancouver is the most popular place in the world to live & is close by ..
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway