Russophile
Topic Author

The Ghoul Pool -- Who's Up For Some Betting?

Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:23 am

We used to have a competition at my previous workplace, which we called the Ghoul Pool. The rules of the competition are very simple. Everyone who wants to enter puts up a few bucks, and with your entry fee, you name 3 'famous' people who you think will die in that year. If anyone's choices all die in that year, then they take the pool. If no-one's horses come home, all the money is donated to charity - me and some friends currently have our comp where if no-one wins, we go out and get smashed at the end of the year, but that's a bit difficult with everyone spread across the globe, so a donation to charity would be a lot better I think.

The amount of money doesn't have to be all that large -- even if we set it at $5 entry fee -- how to collect money? Paypal? Cheque?

Everyones choices would be made public, and probably posted here, and I can put a running tally on my own webspace. And since it is already one month into the year, only people who die from a date we specify onwards will be eligible nominees.

So how's about it? Anyone up for it?

prosa

RE: The Ghoul Pool -- Who's Up For Some Betting?

Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:30 am

There's a well-known online Dead Pool that's been running for several years:
http://stiffs.com
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Russophile
Topic Author

Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:38 am

Never heard of that one before. Interesting to see though. We had been running our comp since around 1993/4 -- so am quite surprised to see others like it -- even found one which also uses the Ghoul Pool moniker. We weren't that unique after all it seems Big grin

LHMark

Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:45 am

I'm in for 5 bucks.

-The Pope
-Ronald Reagan
-Arthur C. Clarke
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Russophile
Topic Author

Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:48 am

LHMark...if you are in, you are in....but maybe best to edit your post and delete your choices so no-one chooses the same -- otherwise you might find yourself sharing with too many people Big grin

What do you think is the easiest way to get people to pay? Ideas?

And what charity? Or instead of charity, we could always donate it to the Swede?

Let's get numbers first, and as we go sort out the nitty gritty.

LHMark

Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:37 pm

Russophile, I'm not worried. Bob Barker's kind of a long shot!
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Russophile
Topic Author

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:04 pm

We both share 2 of the same choices -- my other being that Yeltsin might kick the bucket this year -- hopefully from an alcohol induced silly dance which he is famuos (or is that infamous) for.

But it seems no-one else is interested LHMark. Unless some interest is shown in the next 48-72 hours.

It was funny -- from 1993-1996/97, everyone would have George Burns down on their list. The day he died, the office was quite happy. Sick isn't it.

[Edited 2004-02-07 06:05:29]

L-188

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:06 pm

Death pools have been around for a while.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Greg

Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:06 am

You make it sound as if you invented it.
It's been around for 30+ years.
Bob Hope was the longest living 'poo'l member....