tanyaluvs2fly

Accents

Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:21 pm

Alright, I know i'm not good at coming up with good topics (haha i'm sorry ok) but I was thinking... there are all types of different people located from different places in the world and was wondering if...

Do you have an accent?

Any accents you really like?

Any a turn on to you ? lol

I am what you call a Maine-ah.... (that is spelled a zillion different ways) and we are always picked on for different ways we pronounce things... Cah=car
and so on... I dont have Maine accent like 90% of my small coastal town but I admit you can tell i have one when i get chatting with someone.. but also I'm a sucker and always have been for the british accent.

My mom tho is german and moved to the states when she was 16, (many years ago) and still has at times you can hear it some german in her.. she speaks german every wkend to her family and its amazing to hear that also...

Live, Laugh, Love!

UTA_flyinghigh

RE: Accents

Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:59 pm

My fiancee has a white 1996 Hyundai Accent 1.5 :

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

MYT332

Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:09 pm

I prefer the 2003 1.5 TD best

One Life, Live it.

tanyaluvs2fly

Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:16 pm

very funny! :P
no more cars!
Live, Laugh, Love!

COIAH99

Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:20 pm

In reference to the original thread....
I'm originally from Minnesota...Now live in Texas. To them I definitley have a northern accent. U betcha!
Work Hard Fly Right

LHMark

Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:25 pm

There's definitely a Rochester accent. I'ts a lot of nasal inflection on the short vowels and really open long vowels. It sounds terrible, and I'm sure at least a little of it has crept into my speech (although a lot of people think I sound Canadian)
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Lan_Fanatic

Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:30 pm

I'm chilean, and there is basically no major difference in accentes throughout Chile, but we do speak very differently from our neighbour countries, as happens throughout Latin America.
We, chileans, usually don't pronounce the final or middle "S" in the words...
For example, if I must say "gracias" I'll say something like "graciah" or in a word like "asbesto" I'll say "ahbehto".

Also we change the conjugation of verbs, as our friends in Argnetina and Uruguay do.
In the case of, "tú puedes" (you can), we chileans will say "tú podíh" and argentineans and uruguayans will say "vos podés". The rest of latin americans will pronounce it correctly.

my 2 cents.

texan

Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:14 pm

Everybody up north (for that matter east and west too) tells me I have a Texas accent. I do tend to start to drawl when I get excited and talking fast, but normally about the only way to tell that I know of is the use of ain't, y'all, all y'all, y'all all, ain'tyagunna, and a couple others like that. And grandpa. Cannot say grandpa without having a really heavy twang.
Women with Southern, Texan, or English accents are great!

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

sushka

Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:23 pm

Im from Wisconsin but sadly I don't have an accent  Sad ....only when I try to though.

Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:46 am

Nothing really, at least in normal speech. However, when I'm speaking quickly, I've tended to pick up a little bit of the Boston inflection, and I've become proficient in the use of the term "all set." Also, I will, at times, lapse back into my slight western drawl--especially after I've been back home for any length of time. Funny thing: I was so confused when I got to Boston, because we say "all set" out west, but it means something different than it does here in New England. People would ask me "All set?" and I'd be thinking "no, I'm ready to pay now." Just funny, that's all.

-Normal

AlekToronto

Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:00 am

Actually I thought that everyone has an accent..People from Central/Western Canada and Eastern-Middle America think they don't have one but they do..just they hear it all the time..and it is the accent preferred by Television, movies, etc...
Actually that accent is the most desirable in the English World as that is what all performers, newscasters, reporters adopt even if they are from somewhere else.

All accents are interesting and what you find fun, interesting, sexy depends on who you are, where you are from, etc...

I personally love the American Southern Accent..great people, real friendly and non pretentious..kinda a bit like the Newfoundland/Labrador accent as well!

just to answer Tanyas question..
today i have a "mid- Canadian" accent - used to have South African when I first moved to Canada.
father has czech accent and mother has spanish accent (love that one!).

cheers!
Alek

aa61hvy

Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:08 am

Some German, and most Swedish accents on a hot girl make them more hot... damn
Go big or go home

Jkw777

Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:12 am

100% English with a touch of Hampshire-ness to it  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Don't you just want to hear me speak Tanya  Big grin

Justin  Big thumbs up
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

aloges

Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:15 am

I've got a slight regional accent - but it's only a "slight accent" because many people in my region basically speak what was once declared "true" German. However, the accent of a working class person from southern Lower Saxony is typical...  Laugh out loud
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Vio

Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:21 am

I agree with Aa61hvy...

Swedish blonde girls with accents are amazing.

As for me, I have an accent. I was born in Romania and lived there until I was 11. (Now I'm almost 23). I have an accent. Everyone here in Calgary think I'm french. Considering my last name is "Ludusan" but in romania the "s" has a comma underneath, which is the sound of "shhh".. so my last name sounds like "Ludushawn" .

I get a lot of "You're from Quebec, no"

"Oh no no monsieur. je ne suis pas du Québec. Je suis de Roumanie!" Big grin

Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

ben

Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:22 am

I'm an exiled Australian in London. I would like to think that I turn on the local ladies with my smooth Aussie accent, but back to reality, people tell me that I speak like a camp Englishman. Damn..

Girls with west-of-England accents sound very sexy to me...

American girls sound good, but only if their voices aren't too deep.

UALPHLCS

Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:25 am

I was born in Maryland and until moving at a young age to Illinis had a southern accent. I lost it in the midwest. I still slip back into it if I am around southerners or I am very tired or drunk.

I love the southern accent especially the Virginia accent which is dissappearing as Northern Va gets consumed by DC.

I also love the British accent. The woman on the BA phone system has the sexiest voice. There is a woman working for CO in PHL with the same accent when she makes PA announcements I get shivers up my spine.

I also love the Irish accent of my heritage. It seems natural to me however, not exotic like the British accent.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

FlySAA

Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:08 am

Out of curiosity, and I think an interesting question: can anyone tell me where the American accent comes from? I mean, most Americans originated from England and the first settlers obviously all had British accents. How did the change in accent come about?

Pendrilsaint

Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:15 am

I have a Southern accent. Not super thick, but all the New Yawkers here certainly notice and have a fun time pointing it out. I personally love the Southern accent for just the reasons that someone said above-its not pretentious and kind of a soft drawn out thing. Now, what most people don't realize is the variety of Southern accents. If any of y'all southerners know what Im talking about I have a Georgia/Texas accent.
What does this mean? Well, as is common in Georgia I clip my I's so "I" and "eye" are two different words. Also, North Georgians tend to talk more rapidly than people from other areas of the South.
And for the Texas part, the aw sound. Law sounds almost like lall, and hock and hawk sound totally different. God I love accents!

Prettiest Ones: Theres a girl in my class that grew up in both Ireland and North Carolina. Oh my god, what a perfect accent, its like Southern with a lilt. I love the South African accent as well.

Worst: No offense to anyone, New Jersey and Boston accents are not the prettiest in the world. It reminds me of the sketch on SNL where Britney Spears was playing a southern reenactor and the Boston students say to her "Youh ackkcent makes ya sound reeetahhhhded!"

[Edited 2004-02-12 21:17:03]

N766UA

Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:24 am

I'm from Cleveland but my family is from Pittsburgh. As a result, I have a hybrid Pittsburgh/Midwestern accent. For example, I go "Ahtside" when it's nice and when my car is dirty it "Needs Washed." "To be" is not in my vernacular. Nor is "worshed" for that matter. 30 minutes is "halfenahr" however the little sweet things on ice cream are "sprinkles."

So, as you can see, I am a mutt.
This Website Censors Me

N312RC

Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:42 am

I have that accent thats used in movies and television... the one that most of the Midwest/Great Lakes uses.

I love british accents, theyre the best (EXCEPT Geordie, cause I cant understand it!)

I love to make fun of those people from Minnesoooooooooooota.
N/A

CPDC10-30

Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:47 am

I think the easiest to understand and most pleasant accents in English are South African and Eastern Canadian. The most difficult to understanding and least pleasing to the ear tend to come from the British Isles.

I moved to New Zealand from Ontario when I was 6 years old and was constantly teased as being "American" (that really bugged me). But when I came back, the girls giggled at my foreign accent. I lost it only a few months after returning.

csavel

Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:49 am

Grew up in Queens and have an definite though not thick New York accent, and I'm proud if it. It will be a sad day when regional accents die and everyone starts talking like newscasters. The cawfee in the mawning falls mainly on the awning.

FlySAA
Actually the British probably sounded more like the Americans back then. Like American Spanish, the language's sounds (and in parts grammar - Shakespeare used gotten) are somewhat more archaic on this side of the Atlantic. The British pronounced their "R"s in words like car and cart until I think the around the time of the American revolution. America, having already broken away, kept the R (Except for New York and Boston, of course)

I was told the New York use of t instead of th (pronouncing three like tree) was because the original Dutch settlers had difficulty with the th sound when New Amsterdam became New York, then it just sort of became the accent for everybody. Have no idea whether or not that is true, but probably a thousand little quirks like that made American English.

I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

AC320

Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:21 am

I do have quite an evident Eastern Canadian accent, it gets heaver whe, I head back up north and have been in town a few days. I'm pegged as a foreigner within a minute of opening my mouth here. My French does have a heavy Quebecois accent once I get going as well, I chalk that up to my French teachers, quite a few of them came from Rural parts of Quebec to Montreal.

Quite a few ladies have deemed my accent "cute".
fuddle duddle

asbg

Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:42 am

Being born to an American family in Israel put me in a awkward situation. People tend to say that Hebrew has an American accent though on the hand Americans say that they can tell I'm not a truly American. So where does that put me? Hmmmm

My grandmother is Portuguese. I love that accent. I really want to learn that language one day.

Sam.

s.p.a.s.

Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:50 am

My Portuguese has a slight São Paulo accent but not very much... People say that we paulistanos (the one who lives in São Paulo city) speak fast, but on a 10 million + city you can expect have many sub-accents. São Paulo state (the city is its capital) has many regional accents, a camp accent.. A good example is the word porta (door), here I would speak porta (read it pórta, the O spoken as the O on "off" and the A as the A on Albert), but in the country side one would speak as "porrrrrrta"

My English has a British accent, which is unusual here, but during the first years learning it (I was 10 years old) I had a brit as a teacher.

My family comes from Austria and so my German has a light Austrian accent, but normally we only use hoch deutsch (correct German) at home.

My Spanish was tagged as a mix of Argentinean and Mexican accents, again, thanks to the teacher's origins..

And at last but not at least, my French is more or less Belgian..., but is the language I speak the worst.

cheers

RS
"ad astra per aspera"

tanyaluvs2fly

Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:52 am

hehe i love the british accent i dont know why... have a friend from the UK

Justin, hell i have a heck of a time figuring out what you are saying via IM let alone in person LOL  Big grin
Live, Laugh, Love!

QANTASforever

Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:56 am

I love the original post's question:

Do you have an accent?

Um, everyone has an accent of some kind. Amazing how some people think that the way they speak must be the default for their language.

I have an Australian accent. More specifically a Sydney Australian accent. My wife has a french accent while my kids are starting to sound like some weird mix of American French and Australian.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

cancidas

Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:16 am

not normally, but outside of NYC people normally say i do. i also am very capable of slipping in and out of dialects. on a daily basis i speak like any normal working person my age, with my level of education would. if someone should really pis me off i go back to my "from the street" dialect. other time, when called for my speach will be as proper as anyone eduated at oxford or yale.... or embry-riddle.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

UALPHLCS

Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:14 am

FLYSAA,

Csavel is mostly right. I have a linguistics book that says that British accents from the 17th and 18th centries probably souded more like the Southern Accent of today. There is an Island in the middle of the Chesapeake bay called Tangier Island, who's inhabitants have the original accent brought over from England. Linguists are constantly going there to study the language.

As for how the accent changed well immigration has alot to do with it. Heaviest accents are in the East were the earliest immigrant popualtions changed the language there own way. As these populations spread west and mingled they "Lost" their distintiveness and are not as strong as in the East.

This book has a map showing how linguists traced the accents as they moved west and merged. The West Coast has almost no accent (to Americans) It is a blend of all the East Coast accents.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

gocaps16

Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:58 pm

I have a standard american accent from up north. What's really freaky is when I get the common cold, I tend to have a british accent for some reason. I have lived in the south and west, and especially in the south, I haven't pick up the southern accent. Thankfully, lol. But that might change, I just start to listen to country music not to long ago.

Kevin

Delta767300ER

Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:02 pm

I am from Georgia, and now live in Florida. However I have a lot of friends from the Boston area and I have picked up their accent which I dont mind. I was talking to my girl (who is from from Ohio) and she said that I sound more like I am from Boston than Atlanta.

-Delta767300ER

yanksn4

Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:07 pm

Well since I was born and raised in New York for 13 years and now live in Colorado, people do come up to us and say that it sounds like we have an accent, but they always guess New England and not New York. Even though I am unfortunately losing my accent, I plan to go back to New York and live there for the rest of my life.
2013 Airports: EWR, JFK, LGA, LIS, AGP, DEN, GIG, RGN, BKK, LHR, FRA, LAX, SYD, PER, MEL, MCO, MIA, PEK, IAH

Jetsgo

Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:07 pm

I live in California and my cousins in Michigan tell me I speak Californian. So I dont know, I guess that gives me a Californian American English accent.  Big thumbs up

Chris
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

redngold

Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:20 pm

Very midwestern here, but I can pick up just about anything given a little bit of immersion (like, oh, say five minutes?) I have a good ear for language and its variations.

Sometimes I slip back into New York/Manhattan -- or should I say, Nu Yawk?
Up, up and away!

Banco

Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:45 pm

It isn't quite right to say that the English of four hundred years ago sounded like a southern US accent, although for ease of reference it isn't too bad an example. The truth is that the accents diverged from a common source. If you go to the west of England you hear the same emphasis on the "r" but it certainly doesn't sound like a US accent. But our ancestors didn't sound like them either.

If you compare the two, you might get a reasonable idea of where the divergence occurred. Most of the differences between the US and UK (or England anyway) are easily identifiable. The short "a" in the US is more reminiscent of old English, since the long "a" was an affectation that arrived in the 19th century. It was interesting to note that in certain upper class environments in the US, the same affectation was also taken up.

Using the example of "gotten" is just another case of a word dying out in England, and continuing in America. It works both ways, until comparatively recently, the use of "twice" was fairly rare in the US, with "two times" being preferred, and of course, even in England "thrice" has virtually disappeared.

One thing more, there's no such thing as a British accent. The variety is far too wide to use such a term. You can get away with dividing it into English, Scots and Welsh, but not British. Think Billy Connolly and Margaret Thatcher, and you'll see what I mean.  Big grin
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Lucky727

Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:49 pm

Daddy came from Glasgow - Mom came from Montclair, NJ.

I'm a schizophrenic mix of both.
"Cawl me, we'll tawlk & have a go at it...?"
··· [·] oooooooo [·] oooo oo ooooo [·] ooooooooooooooooooo [·]

An-225

Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:15 pm

I am from Russia, and those who met me, know that I still have that accent. It is not going away either.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

CHRISBA777ER

Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:44 pm

Ok then - try this.

I was born in the Rhondda Valley in Wales. I had a deep, deep, deep valley accent till i moved to Portsmouth when i was eight. There, i chnaged it to a Sarf Carst accent - more London as i spent a lot of time there with my dad and going to Stamford Bridge. Portsmouth accent is quite western - theres a west country twange in there but its also quite south eastern too - which means you get the worst of Cockney and Cornish. I went to private school there so didnt really pick up the accent too much - instead spoke accentless posh english. Nice.

Then i moved to Plymouth for five years. I still use Plymouth turns of phrase, but since i moved to London and now Oxford, i have kept my London accent - which is quite strong when i get annoyed/watch football. I loev the Plymouth accent - love it!

My party trick is that i can do any accent you care to mention flawlessly - i learnt it off my mum, and i can go any accent you wish to name, without anyone knowing that i am not from there.

My best is

Newcastle - biffa bacon style.
English - Hugh Grant style - handy in the US!
Scouse - really harsh wirral style gutteral Liverpool accent.
New York - Brooklyn!
Hispanic American
Manchester - think Frank Gallagher from "Shameless"
Jewish American
Glasgow
Essex
West Bromwich
Chinese english

There are others  Smile

CM
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

4holer

Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:26 am

Every time I think I've kicked my Pittsburgh accent, someone I talk to calls me out on it, so I guess I still have it. Not a hardore yinzer, mind you, but still there.

As for what accents I like, something about a woman with a Russian accent... I don't know, maybe the exotic aspect or just those nimble gymnasts, but it does it for me.

Most obnoxious is easily Boston, followed by Texan and New York.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

USAIRWAYS321

Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:02 pm

I used to live in NC, now WA, and so I have a blend of the North Carolina/Virginia accent and the Pacific Northwest US/Western Canadian accent. It's kinda weird I'm told, but oh well.

L.1011

Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:39 am

Well there is no such thing as a singular "American" accent, mainly due to the shear size and diversity of the nation.

First, you have the Boston accent- "I'm gonna get in my caaaaaaaaa dwive ta da baaa and get sum cawfeeeee"

Next- Noo Yawk "I'm gonna go dun ta Nooawk to cetch a flight."

Lower Midwest- "cleah cut and dwy"

South- "Ehhhhhhhm gonna get in my cur and dreyeve ta da bur and get some cafee yall"

California- "Like OMG I am like sooooooooo totally gonna get some cawfee after driving to the bar in my brand new car thats like soooo totally awesome!"

Big grin

aviationfreak

Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:14 am

I don't want to be rude but I prefer to hear can't instead of ken't. Guess which accent I like!
When I was a kid and I had my first English lessons at school the teacher constantly said we have to pronounce "can't" like the British do. I still prefer it.
British sounds more civilized to me. Besides British I like the Australian accent very much too.

Question: Can you really speak of the British accent. British is the original English language or not?

I love sentences which start with "I say...." When I read that in a post from UK members I can practically hear them saying it.
BTW I really hate to hear one of my fellow countrymen speaks Dutch English. I just can't hear it.

I myself speak 'normal' Dutch. Although some people say they can hear I'm from Amsterdam. Yes I'm born in Amsterdam but only lived there the first five years of my live. Impossible to get an accent if you ask me. The Amsterdam accent sounds very brutal and ordinary so that wouldn't be very much of a compliment to me.

No accent turns me on but I love to hear civilized Dutch. I also think certain southern accents of my country and Flemish sounds charming.

I love both Airbus and Boeing as much as I love aviation!

LH423

Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:43 am

"I'm gonna get in my caaaaaaaaa dwive ta da baaa and get sum cawfeeeee"

We don't go to the "bah" in Bawstin for a cahfee, we get a beah dude!

Dude, tha Bawstin accent's f*ckinnn...wicked pissah!  Big grin

I grew up outside of Boston therefore I have a standard accent for the area (I can pronounce my 'r's when I need to and not add them to words when they're not. "I heah the weathah in Florider is nice this time of yeah." Actually when I travel people say I sound like I'm from Canada. I think it has to do with the long "a". But I can do a really good Southern accent and sometimes will just talk in that for no reason. Well, hells bells it's good to see y'all today.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

VRG772

Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:09 am

In Brazil we have MANY accents. South region pronounces EVERY SINGLE LETTER of a word, while other regions usually don't speak the "S" in the end of the words, or changes some letters "E" into "I", or "O" into "U"...
Some states in Brazil have a veeeery deep "R" (like people from Texas in US). In Sao Paulo people speak without taking care on plural and singular (for example: I saw two DOG), and when they speak the plural, they don't know exactly how to put the word correctly in plural.
In Rio de Janeiro, people speak "S" with a "SH" sound (like in the word SHUT). If you are going to say "escada" (which means STAIRS), you have to say "eSHcada". The same happens with letter "R", but this I can't explain.
But, the most difficult to understan is the northeast region. If a foreign learns portuguese, he can understand people in all regions of Brazil, except in northeast. They speak very fast, lots of dialects (Milions words you don't know), and all letters "E" and "O" have very "opened sounds".

Rgds,
Julio
Decolagem Autorizada.

kolobokman

Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:40 pm

I have an accent

Here is a tase for you: http://www.iit.edu/~smolale/br.mp3
I can neither confirm, nor deny above post

Cory6188

Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:43 am

One thing that drives me crazy is when people that don't live in New Jersey all think we say "Joisey". When I was at BUR checking in for my flight to SJC on WN a month ago, the agent asked me where I was from. I said New Jersey, and she was like, "Oh, you're from Joisey!" No one talks like that here! Ever!

The only time I have EVER heard Jersey as Joisey is when people from other parts of the country refer to my state. It's really annoying. We don't all sound like thugs and carry guns and oxygen masks with us wherever we go (although I might recommend the O2 mask if you're near EWR on the Turnpike).

Cory6188

Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:45 am

Having the show The Sopranos based in New Jersey doesn't help our reputation either. NJ is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be - it really depends on where you are, and yes, you will see some of the most industrial areas from the Turnpike.

I live in Bergen County, the third richest county in the country after Orange County, CA and either Oahu or Maui County in HI. It is hardly like the rest of the state.

Delta767300ER

Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:04 pm

I think southern accents on women are sexy, but that damn South Carolina accent drives me crazy!

The Minnesota/Wisconsin accent is kinda cool, but unusual. I have been told that my Boston accent has been in full force lately.

-Delta767300ER

hartsfieldboy

Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:57 am

But, the most difficult to understan is the northeast region. If a foreign learns portuguese, he can understand people in all regions of Brazil, except in northeast. They speak very fast, lots of dialects (Milions words you don't know), and all letters "E" and "O" have very "opened sounds".

My mom grew up in Sao Paulo and she can barely understand anyone from northeast Brazil. I speak portuguese with some type of Paulistano accent, but since I grew up learning both Portuguese and English, my accent probably sounds like a combination of English and Portguese accents no matter which language I'm speaking in. In Portuguese, I really don't pronouce the last "r" in words like voltar or escolar. Some people tell me my English sounds like I'm from the northern US with southern US mixed in.