keesje

Best Place To Live In Europe?

Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:43 am

Following a similar subject on the US, what do you think is the best place to live in Europe ?

Welfare, criminality, nature, climate, social security, education, culture, food, livery of the national airline ..

hmm difficult .. very different places .

If you had to move to Europe, what place ?

Tuscany ? Cornwell ? Davos ? Haarlem ? Grenoble ?
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

QANTAS077

RE: Best Place To Live In Europe?

Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:47 am

Greek Islands.

dont know which one, but you could take your pick!

EGGD

Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:04 am

French Riviera.

Great Scenery, Great weather, by the coast and close to the Alps and Ski Resorts, good food and majestic cities!

Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:16 am

Brecon - Mid Wales

Great Scenery, Nice weather (most of the time), excellent for walking and bike riding, near Cardiff but not too close, lovely people, not too far from CWL.. if you wanted to jet off somewhere..oh and it's very right wing up there!  Big thumbs up

EGGD

Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:28 am

Agreed, Brecon! The people are so nice there, and the weather is great! Also, there is only one terrorist organization, with 3 members and run on a farm in the hills, dedicated to stop England from taking Water from Wales!! Yes!

Nice try but Wales goes down as one of the worst places to live in Europe, the title quite clearly says BEST  Laugh out loud

MD11Engineer

Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:34 am

Definitely somewhere in the Mediterranean region. I like Spain ( not the touristy places) and I´ve been working in Italyfor a while. If the salaries would be a little bit better I´d be there already. Another place, outside Europe, I´d like to live in are the Philippines, if possible somewhere in the province.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

ben

Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:39 am

1. Moscow
2. Sofia
3. St. Petersburg
4. London (currently living here)
5. Transylvania, Romania
6. Lower Saxony or Bavaria, Germany
7. Ireland
8. The west of England.
9. Kiev, Crimea or Odessa, Ukraine.

Jkw777

Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:41 am

Denmark  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Justin  Big thumbs up
jkw6210@btopenworld.com or +447751242989

Sonic

Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:48 am

Lithuania

Welfare/social security - good and improving. However, too leftist I might say (at least for me). However, it's the same in other European countries too.

Criminality - relatively safe (if compared to USA at least), no terrorism or freedom seeking breakaway provinces.

Nature - forests, lakes, seashore... What's most important that unlike western Europe most of it is not private and you can sunbathe in (almost) wild nature. Number of people per square kilometer is also not big (60 people)

Climate - good. Only few days in summers (if at all) are very hot, it's never over 40C. Only few days in winter (if at all) are cold. Although you will be able to see and feel snow during most Christmas, but it shouldn't be more than -5C in days (and temperatures are raising with greenhouse effect).

Food - very good (at least for me). But some foreigners somehow has different tastes  Smile .

Education - very good. Especially high school education, while universities are also good and there are big competitions to join them (although, I will admit, they are not better than their counterparts in England, but also they are much cheaper (highest cost is 150 Euros per semester as specified by ministry of education)).

Culture - well, culture is one of the things you either like or don't like. I like my culture and it is not that different from other European ones, however, it has it's own finer points too.

Livery of the national airline - check my profile picture catalogs to see all liveries of Lithuanian Airlines. There is also Air Lithuania and Aurela.

Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:49 am

Well do you know that if Wales did stop supplying England with water there would be a water crisis..

QANTASforever

Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:53 am

Monaco - lovely climate, lots of things to do - top notch public services - close to Italy, the rest of the french riviera and of course the alps!

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

JAL777

Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:55 am

If money was no object... I'd pick London.

If money was an issue, somewhere along the Spanish Mediterranean without any tourists.

leviticus

Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:56 am

I have visited every country in Europe except Russia and I have my favorites, the best places to live would probably be Andorra, Ireland, Switzerland or The Netherlands (even maybe the French countryside). I actually hate Sweden which suppose to be my home and everything, Stockholm is one of the crappiest places I have ever been too. And yes, I am about to move  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

[Edited 2004-02-13 23:58:30]

EGGD

Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:00 am

Well do you know that if Wales did stop supplying England with water there would be a water crisis..

Yes, thats how I knew there was a terrorist organization in Wales dedicated to making this reality! The reason being because of the great weather you get there!

Kay

Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:03 am

If you need to live in a place where there is very little traffic, very little pollution, no narrow roads, spaced out buildings, beautiful sceneries, a lot of history, music and other forms of arts and culture, but you don't mind alot of snow, Vienna is your only bet. Definitely the healthiest quality of life.

If you don't mind a step back towards traffic and pollution and a noisy and loud population, but would like mediterranean weather plus all the above attributes, then Rome or Florence are what you're looking for.

Paris is beautiful but we can't say the same about the millions of habitants that come from the suburbs and suffocate and pollute the city everyday. Greace is beautiful but Greek people will yell at you if you ask anything (the French do that sometimes too). The islands are a dream and the best place I've ever travelled for a vacation. But they are not a realistic place to live of course. Only to visit. Unless you want to rent-out jet-skis or smthg.

London is too cold. Edinbourgh is a cosy place, but you have to put up with even more cold.
among the places I've visited, Rome or Florence would be my choices.

Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:11 am

Yes, thats how I knew there was a terrorist organization in Wales dedicated to making this reality! The reason being because of the great weather you get there!

Let's hope that idiots never cut off the water supply.. as much as I don't like England they are still my countrymen.. and would be ashamed to be called Welsh if anything like this did occur.. BTW.. Mid Wales get's the really bad weather and it is collected in the Beacons.. I don't live near Brecon i live in Rogerstone about 5 miles from Newport!

bobrayner

Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:56 am

Climate - good. Only few days in summers (if at all) are very hot, it's never over 40C. Only few days in winter (if at all) are cold. Although you will be able to see and feel snow during most Christmas, but it shouldn't be more than -5C in days (and temperatures are raising with greenhouse effect).

What's your definition of cold? I nearly turned into an icicle in Lithuania last winter!  Smile
Cunning linguist

Sonic

Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:18 am

Cold is ussually below -5C or -10C, very cold - below -15C or -20C, while extremely cold - below -25C or -30C  Smile . All homes and offices are sufficiently heated however, and -30C temperatures are an anomaly now (probably happening once in seven or ten years), while generally temperatures below -10C in days are rare. Sadly (for me at least), but winters has less and less snow here (although now there is some snow on the roof infront my windows)...

Here are some climate charts of year 2003:
http://www.is.lt/meteo/apzvalga.htm

donder10

Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:28 am

Reunion has some very nice areas if you stretch the definition.

leviticus

Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:48 am

Donder10, well then how about St. Martin, just beside SXM ? It is the Netherlands is it not ?  Wink/being sarcastic

CPH-R

Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:40 am

Justin,
you want to move to Denmark, eh? Better talk to Colin Abbot (Europix), perhaps he can change your mind  Laugh out loud

Criminality:
We tend to have the strangest people put behind bars, last time a major scam was unveiled it was someone on the verge of being a midget who was put in jail.

Nature
What can I say, the highest point in Denmark (which we for some reason decided to call Sky Mountain) is 130-odd metres high. Go figure. We've got plenty of water, though.

Climate
Pretty miserable most of the year. Not enough snow for skiing, not enough sun for tanning, go figure.

Social Security
You get paid for doing nothing, and the lowest wages in Denmark is not much more than the unemployment check. So needless to say, not everyone is anxious to get to work.

Education
Pretty good I suppose, though everyone and their mother is bitching about overcrowded classrooms (nevermind that it's the lowest figure in Europe).

Culture
None that I know of, except a major rock festival every year.

Food
Meat, meat, meat, some potatoes and some more meatballs - oh, and the odd Big Mac meal every now and then.

Livery of the national airline
It's SAS - go figure, it's not the hippest livery around.

BNE

Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:29 pm

London, don't real know why, weather would suck, but heaps of Aussies go and live there.
or
Greek Islands, There is an ad on the radio for a lottery and one of the destinations suggested is the Greek Islands.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

teva

Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:27 am

1) Toulouse: the old city , its monuments and athmosphere; the gastronomy (confit, foie gras, cassoulet...); Airbus; about 2 hours away from ski resorts, Spain, ocean and sea.

2) South of Alsace: culture (museums, castles, events) ,food and wine; close to Switzerland and Germany (good tip: live in Alsace and work in the Basel area...)

3) Slovenjia (see the post about easyjet launching the flt on the civil aviation forum)

teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

NoUFO

Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:51 am

One of the most pitoresque places I have ever seen in Europe is the Italian island of Capri. Too bad, Capri is crowded from tourists.

Elba is nice and so is the Provence/Alsace. Weather permitting, the Scottish Higlands along the westcoast and the Norwegian fjords are impressive as well.

I guess, I would choose Elba.
I support the right to arm bears

alcregular

Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:06 am

Amsterdam: all those cafes with certain menus and the window displays...
Why drive when you can fly?

NoUFO

Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:36 am

Amsterdam: all those cafes with certain menus and the window displays..

Pfffhh, ever been to Berlin, district of Prenzlauer Berg? One of the numerous cafes is called "On a Beautiful Summer Day in August" (which fits nicely to Prenzlauer Berg).  Big grin
I support the right to arm bears

Sabena332

Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:49 am

Definitely somewhere at the Spanish Mediterranean coast because:

• The climate is very mild there, even in the winter

• The food is excellent

• The night life is great

• The people are very nice

• The cost of living are relatively cheap compared to other European countries

• Thanks god my parents own a house near Malaga which will be mine sometime  Smile/happy/getting dizzy.

Patrick
    NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

alcregular

Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:50 am

For me it's definately Benidorm cos i used to live there before and hopefully will go back soon. the year-round sun and warm climate, excellent nightlife, the friendly Spanish, everything is cheap and I have friends out there. Can't wait to see my friends 2 weeks and 5 days to go now.
    Why drive when you can fly?

kolobokman

Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:34 am

St. Petersburg
    reason: people
    I can neither confirm, nor deny above post

andz

Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:34 pm

Freiburg in the Black Forest region of Germany. University town with bags of history, close to Switzerland and France, half an hour from Euroairport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg (as they call it), 2 hours from Frankfurt by train, beautiful place.
    After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

9V-SPF

Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:34 pm

If I had to choose, I would probably select the Berner Oberland in Switzerland. One of the most beautiful places on earth (esp. the Lake of Brienz) but unfortunately pretty expensive.

Daniel

Pe@rson

Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:36 pm

Devon, England, with regard to the criteria in the opening post.
    "Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

sebolino

Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:12 pm

Definitely somewhere at the Spanish Mediterranean

Unfortunately, the spanish south coast, except for some small towns/villages, is ugly, the worst example being Torremolinos, which is the ugliest city I've ever seen.
    I don't think Malaga is much better.

I would prefer Sevilla.

kilavoud

Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:01 pm

Lausanne, with its old city in the center, located at the Geneva Lake, with the Alps as a frame in the background, a city full of charm and history, with a big University . http://www.diapo.ch/galerie.php/91

Cheers. Kilavoud.

BadischerGreif

Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:28 am

Andz, you are absolutely right!!!
    But Edenvale sounds very good as well...

Greetings from Freiburg.

KLM777

Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:46 am

My favourite place to live when I've finished studying and things like that would be Wallis in Switzerland, it's really a beautiful region in my opinion.

Jeroen
    Every landing is a controlled crash

andz

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:56 pm

BadischerGreif....No....Edenvale is nothing special! Cape Town is much better, one day when I'm big I'll live there (if I can't make Freiburg more permanent than the current 3 or 4 times a year)  Smile
    After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:11 pm

Slovenia, perhaps? Well, they say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Plus, much of this unique continent is within a day's drive from Slovenia, so you have that once you get bored of the small country.

BOEING747-700

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:17 pm

I am going to say NICE France, I loved it there. Nice looking people and great food, clean very clean. Its great!!

csavel

Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:08 pm

Of all the places I've been in Europe (a fair amount) I'd pick these if I were to live there.

Urban,

London
    Paris
    Copenhagen
    (Sorry CPH-R, but I've loved the place every time I've been there)

Non-urban

Ireland as long as I can pop over to Paris for some food, My dream for retirement.
    The Camargue in France, wild and beautiful.

I second Slovenia and also add Croatia.
    Portugal so I can learn the most beautiful language in the world.
    I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:32 pm

I also like...

Alentejo, Portugal:

Photo: portugal-info.net

Photos: amsterdamhotspots.nil

Photos: andalucia.com

Photos: berlin.de

Photo: berlin1.btm.de

Photo: lofoten-tourist.no

Photo from www.metropoleparis.com

Photo: visit-paris.com

Photo: prague.cz

Photo: provenceweb.fr

Photo: markandmichelle.com

Photo: baikalcomplex.ru

Photo: chiantiturismo.it

...and many other places on this small but fascinating continent!

[Edited 2004-02-24 07:50:41]

anxebla

Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:13 am

Sebolino:
    Málaga is a very nice city,if you still don't Know,go.You will enjoy it.
    Sabena332:
    You are right  Big grin When you wish it,call me and we go "de copas"
    Spain (Portugal too) is a quiet country but with "fiesta" and "marcha" by night.
    We have History,a care environment,poor crime,NO COLD (except a few in January/Feb) And we aren't an expensive country.The worst of Spain are salaries in relation with Central Europe.
    AIRBUS 320 The world's most advanced single-aisle aircraft

zak

Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:18 am

ah thanks to anxebla i dont have to post promoting spain.
    madrid and barcelona are two of the finest cities on earth, even the biggest geek will loosen up there soon.
    only problem is in winter madrid is fken cold and in july its too hot. but the months in between, you want to be there  Smile
    10=2

Jaspike

Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:25 am

Since my recent visit to Dublin, I'd have to say Dublin. The people are very nice, the city is nice, the sales are nice..  Big grin

Josh