727LOVER
Topic Author

White-only Scholarships..... Here We Go Again!

Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:51 pm

Insane

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20040216070009990001

Student Group Offers Whites-Only Scholarship
Measure Is Designed to Protest Affirmative Action

BRISTOL, R.I. (Feb. 16) - A student group at Roger Williams University is offering a new scholarship for which only white students are eligible, a move they say is designed to protest affirmative action.

The application for the $250 award requires an essay on ''why you are proud of your white heritage'' and a recent picture to ''confirm whiteness.''

''Evidence of bleaching will disqualify applicants,'' says the application, issued by the university's College Republicans.

Jason Mattera, 20, who is president of the College Republicans, said the group is parodying minority scholarships.

''We think that if you want to treat someone according to character and how well they achieve academically, then skin color shouldn't really be an option,'' he said. ''Many people think that coming from a white background you're automatically privileged, you're automatically rich and your parents pay full tuition. That's just not the case.''

"No matter what my ethnicity is, I'm making a statement that scholarships should be given out based on merit and need."

The stunt has angered some at the university, but the administration is staying out of the fray. The school's provost said it is a student group's initiative and is not endorsed by Roger Williams.

Mattera, who is of Puerto Rican descent, is himself a recipient of a $5,000 scholarship open only to a minority group.

''No matter what my ethnicity is, I'm making a statement that scholarships should be given out based on merit and need,'' Mattera told the Providence Journal.

His group took out a full-page ad in last week's issue of the university's student newspaper to tout the scholarship, which was for $50 until two donors came forward to add $100 each during the weekend, Mattera said.

It's not the first brush with controversy for the group. The school temporarily froze the Republicans' money in the fall during a fight over a series of articles published in its monthly newsletter. One article alleged that a gay-rights group indoctrinates students into homosexual sex.
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

Sonic

RE: White-only Scholarships..... Here We Go Again!

Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:00 pm

Yes, I have to support these people. They are doing nothing illegal, some are giving scholarships only to blacks or hispanics, they are giving it to whites. So what? In USA I believe all such matters aren't illegal, in Lithuania any of the mentioned would probably be brought to court by certain commisions.

flyingbronco05

Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:12 pm

I support them as well. Good job.

FB05
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

KROC

Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:31 pm

I do not agree nor do I support such asinine actions, BUT why are people so intolerant of such a thing? Why is it okay for the NAACP to issue black only scholarships, but this comes under fire? Now trust me, I understand more than most why there is a need for affirmative action, and black only scholarships and such, but it becomes hypocritical to protest this, but support the other.

I personally think this is a load of crap and only will help to devide but they have their right...

HOMER71

Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:51 pm

Nice try, I still prefer the affirmative action bake sale...
"On spaceship earth there are no passengers...only crew."

sushka

Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:59 pm

Nice job, I think all the other scholarships that depend on race are stupid. This is just showing how stupid they are.
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

L.1011

Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:02 am

Nice job folks. END AFFIRMATIVE ACTION!

Alpha 1

Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:16 am

Mattera, who is of Puerto Rican descent, is himself a recipient of a $5,000 scholarship open only to a minority group.

He's opposed to such scholarships, but he had not fucking problem accepting a $5000 scholarship himself for only minorities. Can the congregation say "Hypocrite"? Because that's all this little snot is. He has no problem taking money in this manner, but doesn't want anyone else doing it.

If he wants to be taken seriously, let him give back that $5000 he got for being a minority himself, otherwise, he should just shut up.

777236ER

Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:58 am

So the best way to protest racial injustices is to bring back the racial injustices that almost destroyed your country and countless others and dig up the fact that YOUR forefathers enslaved hundreds of thousands of black people?

And L.1011, your post becomes funny when you include the signature.
Your bone's got a little machine

KROC

Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:02 am

I HATE when I agree with 777236(not so)ER.

JBirdAV8r

Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:13 am

While I do not agree with affirmative action on most levels, I believe that a whites-only scholarship is the entirely wrong way to go about this. I believe a proper move would be to slowly abolish the race requirement on almost all scholarships and move closer to an "equal opportunity" ideal. All this is going to do is enrage minority groups (arguably the whole point), but what good does that do outside of pissing the hell out of everyone?

That being said, I do support minority scholarships given out by minority interest groups. The majority/minority divide is still a lot bigger than most people would think, and I feel such scholarships help to close the divide somewhat.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

777236ER

Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:16 am

I HATE when KROC is funny.

Unsurprisingly, I'm not that full of hate.

aa61hvy

Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:19 am

I agree with this- why can't things go both ways for whites and blacks? We are supposed to have equality right?
Go big or go home

Sonic

Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:20 am

Yes, I do agree there is divide. But so the proposed idea here (by people who did this) is to give scholarships based on needs. E.g. poorer people would get more. This is done so in most civilized states, including Lithuania where I live. And it works. Because of the divide between so-called "disadvantaged" groups and others, peoples from these groups would still get more scholarships, but so would poor people from the "advantaged" groups. It's not like they wouldn't need money because they are white - not all whites are millionaires.

KROC

Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:35 am

I agree with this- why can't things go both ways for whites and blacks? We are supposed to have equality right?

How often does the "eye for an eye" approach work AA61hvy? Not often. There are reasons why there are black only scholarships and such. If you don't know about this, then you shouldn't be trying to discuss it. But when you mix in "white only" scholarships, you are no longer trying to prove a point, but degenerating society to a point where it creates nothing but separation.

aa61hvy

Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:39 am

"There are reasons why there are black only scholarships and such. If you don't know about this, then you shouldn't be trying to discuss it"

I am well aware of it considering I GO TO COLLEGE... What school did you attend again  Big grin

I agree with this " But when you mix in "white only" scholarships, you are no longer trying to prove a point, but degenerating society to a point where it creates nothing but separation."

But why shouldn't it go both ways? There is a scholarship for being left handed? Why not have one for have pale skin?
Go big or go home

777236ER

Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:54 am

But why shouldn't it go both ways? There is a scholarship for being left handed? Why not have one for have pale skin?

Because left handedness is FUCKING annoying. Have you ever tried to cut card?!

In my opinion, we deserve millions. Yet society doesn't care about us.

Some people NEED scholarships - in my opinion people should get educated based on their ability. Scholarships should go to handicapped or poor people. Black people ARE poorer than white people.

KROC

Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:00 am

Actually smart guy, I do have college credit.  Big grin

And like your sexuality, why shouldn't it go both ways? Because, it isn't doing anything positive or good. I said they should have the right to have their deal here, but it only causes problems. People are failing to understand why there are 'black only' scholarships to begin with. It was a way to try and offset (although not completely) the shaft that blacks were (and still are) getting when it come to scholarships and the like. Black only scholarships were created to help black people. These white only scholarships are only to prove a so-called point. Ironically they are pointless and only going to cuase problems.

aa61hvy

Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:03 am

They are handing out black scholarships left and right here at UD, not at one point was one offered to me.
Go big or go home

KROC

Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:07 am

Are you black? Didn't think so.  Yeah sure

aa61hvy

Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:10 am

How do you know if I am black or not, foo?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Big grin
Go big or go home

777236ER

Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:11 am

They are handing out black scholarships left and right here at UD, not at one point was one offered to me.

I'm sure there are scholarships for white people too. Thing is, a lot more black people are poor.

aa61hvy

Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:14 am

To some degree you are right 77723 but the blacks here don't exactly dress shabby, they are wearing 200$ shoes.. Their wardobes could pay for a year here!
Go big or go home

KROC

Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:16 am

Who cares if they are poor 777236ER?

Signed, Jcs17 (While driving in his Lexus)

EA CO AS

Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:16 am

If he wants to be taken seriously, let him give back that $5000 he got for being a minority himself, otherwise, he should just shut up.

Agreed. Of course, doing so would be admitting he got the scholarship based on something other than merit - and he can't have that, now can he?  Big grin
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

jaysit

Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:17 am

While you are all ranting, I must add my 2 cents.

I have two close friends, both white, who got admission into Howard University Law School on a full scholarship. As some of you may know, Howard University is a primarily black university of great repute here in Washington, DC. Over the past 10 years, Howard has tried to expand its footprint into communities other than African-Americans, and has tried to attract foreign students, white Americans, hispanics, etc. However, these efforts have not always been successful. Thus, Howard has specially earmarked scholarships for non-Blacks. Diversity cuts both ways in this regard.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

777236ER

Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:18 am

To some degree you are right 77723 but the blacks here don't exactly dress shabby, they are wearing 200$ shoes.. Their wardobes could pay for a year here!

So a few rich blacks make the rest rich? You know that's not true. Black people have gone through quite a lot in your country - whining about scholarships says a lot about the whiners.

cfalk

Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:23 am

Black people ARE poorer than white people.

Ooooh, now there is a racist statement  Smile/happy/getting dizzy So all blacks are poorer than all whites?

I know what you meant, but careful with the language.

Anyway, there are certainly wealthy black Americans. Why should Bill Cosby's kids have access to scholorships that whites do not?

Tolerating preferential treatment for one group over another is a double edged sword. Every black guy who comes out a U.S. University has a stigma attached to him. When he interviews for his first job, the interviewer will have a doubt as to the value of his degree. "Did he truely earn that degree, or was he an affirmative-action case?" It is certainly a handicap.

Similarly, if he is hired, and is given a desk next to someone with whom he'll have to work, his collegue will also ask himself, "Is he competant, or an affirmative action case?" To cover his ass, he will be reluctant to hand over a lot of responsibility to the new guy.

A smart black American, who has worked hard and has earned his degrees and position as well as anyone else, will be held back and frustrated by the stigma affirmative action has brought upon him, even if he in no way ever benefited from it. He has to prove himself more than anyone else because of affirmative action, before anyone will accept him completely.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

KROC

Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:31 am

Anyway, there are certainly wealthy black Americans. Why should Bill Cosby's kids have access to scholorships that whites do not?

Bill Cosby's kids DO NOT need to worry about scholarships. Sorry but their tuition is/was covered already. Poor analogy.

777236ER

Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:34 am

Ooooh, now there is a racist statement So all blacks are poorer than all whites?

I know what you meant, but careful with the language

Yes yes ok, on average black people are poorer than white people.

Anyway, there are certainly wealthy black Americans. Why should Bill Cosby's kids have access to scholorships that whites do not

They don't though. Just because you're black doesn't guarantee you're going to get a black scholarship.

Tolerating preferential treatment for one group over another is a double edged sword.

Definatly. In my opinion there should be scholarships for poor people etc that have nothing to do with race. However, there are areas of the US and other countries in which minorities need to have incentives to get out the cycle that a lot of them are in.

KROC

Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:49 am

Tolerating preferential treatment for one group over another is a double edged sword.

Definatly. In my opinion there should be scholarships for poor people etc that have nothing to do with race. However, there are areas of the US and other countries in which minorities need to have incentives to get out the cycle that a lot of them are in.

You have to take into account that there are people who are incharge of issueing these scholarships to poor people that look down on a person because of their race, or sexuality, or sex, or whatever. A double edged soward? I don't think so, because a deserving student who doesn't a scholarship because he is black, is far worse.

777236ER

Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:56 am

That's true KROC, but whenever certain people (like these protestors) start to think that for once black people might have a bit of an advantage over white people they're up in arms.

A deserving student who doesn't get a scholarship because he is black is just as bad as a deserving student who doesn't get a scholarship because he's white. It DOES work both ways. That being said, this isn't an ideal world, and because of that I don't think black scholarships are inherantly wrong.

KROC

Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:16 am

Damnit 777236ER, I pretty much agree totally again. And while "black scholarships" might be wrong per say, there is an inherant reason why they exist to begin with, and people fail to realize that. Like you said, people would rather throw their arms up and think they are losing out on something.

vafi88

Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:00 am

If there are scholarships for black people, or gay people, or asian people only, why not a White only scholarship???

Vitaly
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

maiznblu_757

Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:02 am

My boyfriend Superfly qualifies for the white only scholarship. I am not complaining.

Signed,
AA61hvy

KROC

Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:12 am

Vitaly, like I stated before, there are scholarships for minorities, because discrimination exists and there has to be some type of counteraction to it.

cancidas

Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:15 am

why do so many people have a problem with this? all it is is an organization giving out thier funds to certain people. they have the right to give it to whomever they choose, excluding anyone they wish.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

aa61hvy

Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:17 am

"there is an inherant reason why they exist to begin with"

Why is that KROC? If you would say because they are less smart or less wealthy, thats a generalization, thus proving that these scholarships are racist.
Go big or go home

KROC

Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:18 am

Can - Its the principle of the matter than people have a problem with. If you cannot see why this type of action does more harm than good, well, you never will I guess.

david b.

Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:19 am

What would happen to Michael Jackson if he applied Laugh out loud
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

KROC

Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:26 am

Why is that KROC? If you would say because they are less smart or less wealthy, thats a generalization, thus proving that these scholarships are racist.

No genius, they exist because people judge other people by something as asinine as the color of their skin. Racism still exists today, and there are plenty of people out there who would turn down a deserving scholarship applicant because they are black. And that is an inagruable point.

And scholarships for people who are poor, or "less wealthy", are not racist. They exist to help others receive a good education as well. Not everyone can have daddy cut a check for them to go to college.

aa61hvy

Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:33 am

" They exist to help others receive a good education as well"

I agree with you there, but why not have a scholarship for the poor white person who is deserving to go to college?
Go big or go home

KROC

Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:55 am

There are scholarships for poor people. Guess what, black poor people, white poor people, every other kind of poor people qualify for them as well. There are a million different types of scholarships out there. Come on now, seeing as you are in college yourself, you have to know this.

Russophile

Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:11 am

Cfalk, you make a few fatal assumptions in what you wrote -- the most important being this.

A black person may get a scholarship at, for example, Harvard, whilst a white person doesn't. But you have assumed that a university is going to give a black person a scholarship based on nothing but skin colour. A university is not going to give a scholarship to a black person who can not read. Even though they have a scholarship, the student still has to demonstrate an ability to be able to study at university level -- someone who without a scholarship would not otherwise be able to afford it.

Another assumption you make, is that just because they are a black recipient of a scholarship, that the university is going to give them a degree, regardless of their academic record. A scholarship is not a free ride -- they will still have to achieve a certain level of academic achievement -- if they don't -- they lose the scholarship. It is as simple as that.

Any employer (or fellow employee) who would see (or assume) a black university graduate as a result only of "affirmative action" would have some serious issues of their own regarding intelligence and racism which need to be looked at.

cfalk

Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:36 am

You exagurate what I said.

Look how many idiots get a university degree because they play football or basketball well, and the university doesn't want to lose them so they fudge the grades.

Now of course they guy does have to perform to a certain level (sports scholorships excepted). I would have a high degree of confidence in a black guy who showed up with a transcript that showed all A's or at least a significantly above-average GPA. But if the guy has a GPA of barely-passing level, I would wonder if the University "helped him along" because they were worried about a few too many black students flunking out and running the risk of a lawsuit.

I know it's not fair. But we are human, and knowing such things do happen (rarely or not), you cannot help but keep it in mind. If there were no affirmative action, anyone can be 100% certain that, black, white or green, that person desrved the grades that are on his transcript.

Here is another example - one not based on race.

There is an American University in Geneva (a foreign campus of a U.S. University, actually). It is reasonably good, academically, but students who fail a class get to repeat it over and over again until they pass. The school basically has a reputation of being a fancy place for kids of rich parents around the world to send their kids to get an "American" education while living in a place like Geneva. You should see the school parking lot - Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, Hummers, all driven by 19-20 year-olds. They do the minimum, repeat a few grades, and have a lot of fun while spending daddy's money.

That's the reputation that the school has. But not all the students are like that. Some are serious students, children of Americans who live here, or local kids who want to go on to graduate school in the U.S. and so need a U.S. recognized degree. But anyone who graduates from there, even if he was a serious student, has a hard time finding a job in Geneva. They see the name of that school and say, "Oh, one of THOSE goof-offs." Not fair, but that's the way it is.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

BN747

Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:16 am

Putting black people in their place is a big reason why people side with the republicans.....Its the truth deal with it !!!

LMAO...but it's true! This has gotta be one of the Top 3 unwritten goals of the Republican Party. And strangely enough, it's this school's Student Republicans that behind this. They used the very same 'Clarence Thomas' strategy here.

The face of it is a minority -puerto rican (Thomas is a minority) to make the argument.

The student himself is a beneficiary of Affimative Action (as was Thomas).

And he goes to the extreme to make his point (as Thomas has ruled against every Affirmative Action case that has come his way)

The mindset of individuals like this is astounding.

Given as KROC has pointed out here a zillion times. There has been racial injustice across the board in the US for 300+ years...only in the last 30+ years has there been a serious effort to 'Right' 300+ years of wrongs. The damage of that many years our sanctioned and charged inequities has roots so deep you can never get to the bottom. But many people have given so much (and some ...their lives) to create a society the likes this world has never seen. But it seems it's always the Republicans who want to stop or slow down this progress at every chance they get.

There's more to be gained here than perpetual racial disparities...by driving a wedge between people with this particular issue, you can literally keep people busy fighting over it for decades. Whites feel threaten that what they have... is being taken away. 'White Only' Scholarships have been around since the establishment of the Universtity of Virginia. ..even longer. Most scholarships are taken by whites. ..but then again..whites are the largest demographic....so what's the problem? With the effort placed forth to help level the playing field so that disenfranchised members of the same society can 'catch up'...how could any one, with any sense of fair play, be against this? I understand how politicians can be, but the average joe?

Because 'non-Average (white) Joe' feels threatened..he already sees that he very well may be a failure in this life..he sees no prosperous future for himself or his kids. And that's too bad..because if he channeled that same energy on himself and applied 1% more brain power...he could see a way to make himself more effective in what ever field of achievement he wishes. But it's easier to find an issue to bitch about or displace blame. This very tactic predates Cain blaming Able.

With so many constantly railing against/for this issue..or political agendas can easily slip past without notice.

Race has been a true-blue issue for the Republicans..it has never failed them. They even mastered it's vagaries by getting minorities to make their case for them. What on earth could possibly be better than having a Black speaking against blacks (or black causes or interest) or a latino speaking against a program that benefits them, or a woman speaking against programs that better their standing in society. By doing so...it makes the cause less polarizing vs having a 'white' face do it. There is no shortage of minorities who so believe (or want to believe) that equality is ubiquitous and we no longer need to offer programs to those who have been legally marginalized by society. And it is they who wind up being pawns for the Republicans. J.C. Watts is a perfect example of Republican-racial equality gone wrong...this guy was the perfect doorbell boy for the Republicans during Newt Gingrich's reign and afterwards and they all but put him out to pasture.

Sure there's going to be some unqualified people slipping through the cracks. But our president on his own merits....would have never gotten into YALE. Legacy admissions of this kind ought to be eliminated before affirmative action. But you'll never see efforts against Legacy Admissions because this would only unify every racial demographic...even Republicans! BUT for Republicans, there has to always be someone ...on the other side of the fence!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

vafi88

Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:23 am

Kroc - there are scholarships for minorities Yeah, that means if I apply for a scholarship for CSU and a black dude does the same, then he gets it because he's a minority. If we were all treated EQUALLY - then none of this would have happened, so far it seems that whites are now the minority (not population wise)

Vitaly
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

DC10GUY

Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:50 am

BN747, Nice post dude ! And I agree. But I also have a different theory. I think the point of pitting the races against each other is to divide & conquer. Having working class whites & working class blacks work against each other works directly into the republicans hands. If all working class people voted together the republicans wouldn't stand a chance. Stunts like this one help their "divide & conquer plan ...
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!

KROC

Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:52 am

Hey Vitaly. Anytime you wanna join the discussion at hand, you let me know. Like I have stated, about two thousand times, but here is another time, for you and your homies up in the cheap seats, there are scholarships of all different kinds out there, that people have to 'qualify' for. For example, here in Crapchester, we have two very large Grocery Store chains. 1 is Wegmans. The best Grocery Store in the country actually. A great company to work for, always in the top 100 of that catagory, expanding like crazy etc. The other is Tops. A good plae as well, but not as successful as Wegmans. Anyway, both stores offer scholarships to their student employees. Now I have yet to hear of a Tops Employee bitching because they did not qualify for a Wegmans Scholarship. As stupid as that might sound, thats how you sound with your example. Nobody is saying that if you and a 'black guy' are both going for a scholarship, he will automatically get it cause he is black. Its people like you that create the need for "black only" scholarships. Sleep well bro.

BN747

Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:54 am

Vitaly, if that ridiculos match up you suggested were the case..then every applicant would be black. The whole CSU would be black....and you know what? There ain't that many black people.. let alone students in the USA to answer every scholarship call.

So you can relax.

Also...to the wedge issue of my above 'bitch session' post...the big gay marriage shindig up in San Francisco. Who's mostly pissed about that? Republicans! It's a perfect political football. If two gay guys live next door to you...what difference could it possibly make if they were married or not? The sun still rises, they'll probably keep your property value up (if not raise it). What's worse is the people fueling the war of division..are the same ones who bring you show like 'My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance' and Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire?' shows that absolutely make a farce out of the institution!

There needs to be 'Marriage Exams' before you get married 50% of that score compiled with an arduous section on 'Child Rearing' for the other 50%! Now that'll whip the ol' institution into shape!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson