ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Should SF's [very Handsome] Mayor Be Arrested?

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:05 am

In a continuation of this thread...

...should Mayor McHottie (i.e., San Francisco's Gavin Newsom) be arrested for his blatant violation of California law?

Or removed from his position, or otherwise? Hey, if one side can do it to Roy Moore for standing up for what he thought was an unconstitutional government order..........
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

TWFirst

RE: Should SF's [very Handsome] Mayor Be Arrested?

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:14 am

Perhaps he should... it would only bring more attention to the cause he is having the courage to stand up for... equal rights.

This is a straight man with a family who is not just talking about but acting on the principles of what this country is supposed to be about. As of 1:10pm EST 17 Feb, it hasn't yet been determined by the court whether his actions are a "blatant violation of California law". Attorneys for the city of SF are set to argue otherwise. If it is determined that what he did was indeed illegal, then it was a brave and bold act of civil disobedience that will go down in this history books alongside other notable examples such as Rosa Parks and the Boston Tea Party.

(edited for a typo)

[Edited 2004-02-17 19:15:36]
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

N6376M

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:44 am

Yes. Elected officials in can't re-write laws (or ignore existing laws) because they don't like them.

I'd expect that everyone who's argued IMPEACH Bush over Guantanamo has the same position.

-76M

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:53 am

it hasn't yet been determined by the court whether his actions are a "blatant violation of California law".

Wrong.

As the law stands, his actions most certainly are.

....what's being decided is whether said laws are constitutional or not.

Aaron747

Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:04 am

I haven't heard anything about anyone wanting Mayor Newsom arrested. I don't know if a public official can be arrested in the state of California for not recognizing a statute that has no criminal stipulations for non-compliance.

Certainly it occurs often and I can't remember it ever being treated as a criminal action - usually there is some sort of direct legislative action against the official. In this case, the party with jurisdiction to do that would be the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, who are inherently unlikely to take any such action since all nine members have expressed support for Newsom.

If the State of California were to somehow bring administrative action against the city, which Newsom would be responsible for, I would of course support any punishment they legally deemed necessary for him. Doing so would further highlight the importance of this act of civil disobedience and perhaps even expedite the arrival of the inevitable day this issue sees in the State Supreme Court, which...also happens to be in San Francisco and not Sacramento.

If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:14 am

I haven't heard anything about anyone wanting Mayor Newsom arrested.

...almost all of the decidedly conservative media has called for it (e.g., O'Reilly, Hannity, Savage, etc)

I don't know if a public official can be arrested in the state of California for not recognizing a statute that has no criminal stipulations for non-compliance.

Governor Armhold Musclehugger, as well as the President and various other federal officials, have the authority to throw the gorgeous official in the slammer.....

[Edited 2004-02-17 20:15:21]

MD-90

Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:16 am

Judge Roy was removed from the bench for violating a court order, pretty much like how Newsom's violating the laws of the state. But there are well-known procedures for that. I'm not sure how you "impeach" a mayor.

He needs to ditch the mousse. The slicked back hair doesn't help his credibility any.

Aaron747

Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:22 am

Federal officials have no authority to throw a local government official in jail for non-compliance with a state statute. Neither does the Governor - the legislature would have to bring action against the city and county of SF. And I doubt the governor would step in anyhow, he's been mum on the issue, lest he anger the California GOP any further with his repeated statements in support of gay rights.

The media can call for whatever they want, but it doesn't do anything for their knowledge of civil procedure. Judge Moore violated an existing court order - which is a criminal action. Again, Newsom is violating a state law that carries no criminal stipulations for non-compliance, e.g. the aforementioned action from the lege that would be necessary.

[Edited 2004-02-17 20:24:26]
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

TWFirst

Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:24 am

it hasn't yet been determined by the court whether his actions are a "blatant violation of California law".

Wrong.

As the law stands, his actions most certainly are.

Semantics. The California Constitution would be the supreme law of that state, would it not?

TWFirst

Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:32 am

Also ConcordeBoy, the law you are citing states only that opposite sex marriages are recognized in the state of California. It doesn't say anything about criminal penalties for a municipality issuing same-sex marriage licenses.

If you are not a lawyer in the State of California, you may want to consider rephrasing your one-worded answers to reflect that you're expressing your opinion.

TWFirst

Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:34 am

Typing my last response while Aaron747 was typing his... sorry for the similarities.

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:47 am

It doesn't say anything about criminal penalties for a municipality issuing same-sex marriage licenses.

In your zeal to contradict, you seem to have imagined me asserting that it did...  Insane

Aaron747

Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:54 am

Newsflash: an SF judge has delayed a decision on the matter until Friday.

Greg

Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:54 am

Not wanting to stir up too much political controversy, I'll just add:
He looks like a nerd. I wouldn't give him a second glance.
Who is calling him Mayor McHottie?

L-188

Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:20 am

Well you don't want to for practical rather then legal reasons.

The law is that his actions are illiegal, and unless that law is challanged to that very screwed up state constitution that California has (I don't doubt that it will), it is the law that will be enforced.

But you arrest him, or at the very least cite him and you will have a media frenzy you won't believe. I would go so far as to say that a riot in SF could be possible.

Why stir the pot?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:35 am

Why stir the pot?

To get your name out.

Ahhhhnold and Bush don't need it.... but who outside of California cared/knew who [the remarkably attractive for an old guy] Gavin Newsom was before any of this?

L-188

Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:39 am

Again Bush isn't involved, this is a state case.

And Arnold for one, doesn't need the name recognitions, and two is pretty liberal when it comes to social issues like this.

Aaron747

Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:47 am

Please enlighten us as to how the State of California's constitution is screwed up?

Usairwys757

Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:37 am

You have got to be shitting me, the title of this thread itself is just sickining. But I guess I would expect it from none other than ConcordeBoy.
Inactive.....

TWFirst

Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:53 am

>>In your zeal to contradict, you seem to have imagined me asserting that it did... <<

Oh gee, then I must have totally misread the topic of this thread that you started...

"Should SF's [very Handsome] Mayor Be Arrested?"

Insane

iflyatldl

Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:55 am

No, he shouldn't be arrested. All that's happening is that Mayor Newsom is trying to draw attention to California's law and I guess he among many view it as hypocritical to honor Domestic Partners benefits (City of SF) and not have a law that reconizes Gay Partnerships in the same way it reconizes hetrosexual marrige. I wish them luck, but one thing to remember: it's an election year (I'm not sure if SF is slated for city/municiple elections or not), and I'm sure he has constituants/supporters to answer to if he hopes to remain in office. In Georgia, we're going through something similar. Hopefully one day, an agreement can be reached. Many of our laws do tend to be antiquated these days.  Big grin Just my two cents.  Smile
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

b757300

Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:36 am

What's amazing is the fact that the same people here who are defending the idiot mayor of San Francisco are the same ones would attacked and vilified Chief Justice Roy Moore of Alabama for refusing to move his monument of the 10 Commandments.

It is the same principle, and if Judge Moore was thrown out of office for disobeying the law, the mayor of San Francisco should be as well.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Aaron747

Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:46 am

Please, engage some critical thinking before making a statement like the above.

It is not the same principle at all. Judge Moore didn't disobey some statute that already had its constitutionality in question - he chose to disavow the oath he swore to his position as a justice and defy a Constitutional principle established by 200 years of case law precedent AND then went and willfully ignored a court order ordering him to stop the former.

Mayor Newsom, on the other hand, is upholding the oath he swore to represent the citizens of San Francisco to the best of his ability, and in so doing, has chosen to defy a statute that not only discriminates against many of them, but was enacted in violation of the State Constitution of California. His actions are providing the perfect test case to challenge Prop 22's odious imposition of limited marital definition as this matter will certainly be heard before the state supremes in no time.

As has already been stated, should the state legislature choose to take action against the City and County of San Francisco, which Mayor Newsom would be obligated to take responsibility for by law, I would support any punishment they deemed necessary. In fact, I would welcome it, as it would likely expedite the case's arrival in state Supreme Court.

[Edited 2004-02-18 01:50:40]

Matt D

Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:37 am

I, once again respectfully disagree with you Aaron. Breaking the law is breaking the law. How much more cut and dry can it get than that? You can't cherry pick what is "ok" to break" whenever it happens to suit your particular set of circumstances. If that were the case, then we might as wall be a state of anarchy. Like I told you in our last argument, some laws can and perhaps should be changed. But breaking the law to make that point destroys your credibility if not your freedom not to mention galvanizing your opponents that much further.

Now that being said, you watch and see people. This is going to get ugly. Real ugly. It looks like the ideological divides are about to come to a head. One of two things is going to happen. Either its going to pass and you're going to see a whole lot more Matthew Sheppards and tear-gas and billy-club hatefests. Or if it doesn't, then look to see the gays essentially shoved back into the closets. But also a de facto ban on religion.

To answer the question at hand, yes I believe this guy should have some kind of punishment levied against him.

L-188

Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:38 am

A constitution is normally a few pages of ground rules that laws must follow.

The California constitution is full of stuff that most states and countries normally don't put into their constitution, which is why it runs over 200 pages in length.

Aaron747

Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:47 am

You may be right Matt, we'll just have to see. Hopefully reason prevails.

Superfly

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:33 pm

Aaron747:
Not to be anal but there are 11 members on the Board of Supervisors, not 9.  Smile

Greg:
It was ConcordeBoy who called him McHottie. He has bad taste in just about everything. Big grin

Gavin Newsome shouldn't be arrested for this. How much time did Roy Moore serve?  Insane
I agree with TWFirst and Aaron747. They are standing up for what is right.
Gay marriage WILL be accepted and WILL be the norm in about 20-30 years. Newsome's move may not be that popular in Waco, Texas or Incest, Alabama but then again, Gavin isn't the mayor of those towns.
I have no doubt that Gavin Newsome WILL run for Governor at some point and this issue will not keep him from winning. This will only help his political career. This issue is gaining more and more attention and support for it increases the more people know about it. I know many people who voted Yes on Prop 22 but regret it and would vote differently if they had the choice again.
I am a straight guy who may end up married someday. I don't feel threatened by this at all.
Let the gays have there marriages!

I didn't vote for Gavin Newsome but I'll support him as long as he keeps his hands off of existing rent control laws.  Smile
Gavin needs to win over some liberal voters in S.F. to stay in office. Keep in mind folks, Gavin Newsome was the conservative candidate in that recent mayoral race. There were three other candidates more liberal than him. I was for the centrist Angela Alioto who didn’t make the runoff but does have a position in Newsome’s staff. He also appointed her niece Michaela to his old Board seat. Another great move on Gavin’s part.  Big thumbs up

Gavin Newsome had to bring in the entire Democratic Party big Whigs to win with only 53% of the vote.
Gavin Newsome brought in Bill Clinton, Al Gore, Gray Davis (still liked in SF), Willie Brown, Diane Feinstein, Nancy Pelosi, Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, Tom Lantos and outspend Matt Gonzalez 30-1 , and used the race card at the last minute only to win by 6 points.
Willie Brown and his pals can only help so much. Gavin seriously needs to reach out to more liberal voters to stay in office in S.F. so he can further his career.
The gay marriage issue doesn’t piss off developers.  Big grin

Bring back the Concorde

Aaron747

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:39 pm

Gavin doesn't need to reach out to the 'progressive' wackos who voted for Gonzalez at all. If anything, those people need to be silenced. Their whining over the minutiae of every single city project or proposal, especially the "homeless advocates" (what the hell does THAT mean?), has been DRAGGING the city into the ground since the dot com bust. Talk about a sick, reactionary bunch. They scare businesses away with EVERY issue boiling down to 'the evil big business entities occupying those oppressive, shadow-casting, phallic man-power structures downtown filled with suburban bridge and tunnel people who drone about inside!' and other gobbledy-gook.

A lot of people in this town need to gain some freaking perspective, and take their heads out of the ultraliberal cesspool.

Superfly

Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:49 pm

Aaron747:
This move by Gavin certainly ate away a chunk of that vote. 47% of the voters can't be that 'wacko'.
I wasn't a huge fan of Gonzalez (my 3rd. choice) but many people voted against Gavin because of his voting record or should I say absents from voting. He had to 'excuss' himself from voting on more than 140 votes becasue of 'conflict of interest'. That begs the question as to why he was on the Board in the first place.
He was the most pro-landlord, anti-tenant member of the Board.
Anyway, I don't want to take this thread too far off topic.
I still applaud Gavin Newsome's risky move on gay marriage.
With 67% of the city being renters, he best leave the housing issue alone.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

jessman

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:01 pm

I would agree with the Roy Moore statement. Maybe he should be removed from office, maybe he should be fined, but I don't think this is deserving of jail time. I guess it is up to the state of California, though.
What has the Governator said?

Superfly

Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:39 pm

Jessman:
The Terminator doesn't want to touch this issue for reasons I pointed out in post #27. Terminator is also in favor of gay rights/Civil Unions. I don't think he wants to be the George C. Wallace on this issue.
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly

Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:06 pm

When I saw those hundreds of couples in line to offically get married, I saw people who were truely happy and finally making that next step in progress.
Anyone who wants to deny these people there happiness is a sick individual full of hate, bigotry and seriously needs to re-evaluate themselves.
Prop 22 just gave voters an opportunity to express there personal disapproval against gays & lesbians. Prop 22 will not last.

Bring back the Concorde

iflyatldl

Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:02 am

Agree with Gay marriage or not (I do, but I digress) it's refreshing to see a politician actually honor his word to his constituents. I wish him the best of luck and maybe one day we will see some reforms. It's only a matter of time.  Big grin

L-188

Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:08 am

It still amazing that those that are supporting the mayor and his standing up for what he believes in and what is constituants belive in against state law are generally the same people who where putting down Roy Moore for doing the exact same thing.

Double standard?

Hell yes.

iflyatldl

Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:18 am

L-188:
Please don't count me in that generalization...Moore also was acting on his passion, even against controversy. He(Moore) was held in contempt. We've yet to see a ruling where Newsom is concerned. Just a Cease and Disist order.  Big grin

Matt D

Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:24 am

You know how that goes L-188:

Judge Moore, being a heterosexual white Christian male is wrong by default. Why? Because he was a heterosexual white Christian male.

Everyone else....women...the gays/lesbians...the blacks, Asians, Latins, Cripples, Wiccans, Athesists, Pedophiles, etc. (along with anyone who happens to support them) are "only practicing what they believe in."

Remember. If you are a heterosexual white Christian male, you can do no right.

Everyone else can do no wrong.

Insane

Aaron747

Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:41 am

What Moore believed in was counter to his responsibilities as a justice and defender of the Constitution! I didn't oppose the fact that he had the conviction (he's entitled to feel how he does, naturally) - but I don't support anyone who patently defies the document, particularly in his position. You can make it about the guy being white and religious or whatever...but at the end of the day that's not why the guy receives no sympathy. He swore an oath to defend the Constitution and he acted in deliberate defiance of that oath. He brought everything on himself because he couldn't separate his personal feelings from his job.

Newsom is *not* acting in the same fashion. As a public official, he has taken the stand that he will not enforce a law mandated by the state that disables his administration from treating its citizens equally. Local government officials did the SAME thing throughout the civil rights struggles of the late 50s and early 60s. The law needed a challenge and he's providing it - it's that simple. The City Attorney's office seems to have pleaded a pretty good case yesterday since two judges refused to hand down an immediate injunction against the city.

California's voters enacted an initiative that stands in defiance of the state constitution - forcing cities and counties to act in a manner that discriminates against their citizens. How can anyone criticize someone for challenging such an illogical situation? For challenging a law that is inherently illegal? Sure, it wasn't done in a fashion nearly as mundane as a couple of filings in court, but it grabbed attention for the issue at hand - and that's exactly what needed to happen. Many Californians have indicated in subsequent polls that they wish they hadn't voted for Prop 22 because it was sold to them as something else. If I recall, commercials at the time were trying to make it sound like legislative efforts to recognize gay unions would force religious organizations to do the same.

Again, how can someone be opposed to eradicating an flagrantly unconstitutional law?

Unless, of course, it's the evolving nature of the issue that they're really opposed to.

And for the record, Newsom *is* a heterosexual, Christian, self-made, and WEALTHY white male.

[Edited 2004-02-18 22:43:47]

[Edited 2004-02-18 22:47:47]

maiznblu_757

Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:45 am

Thats my fling...

Signed,
Superfly.

Lucky727

MattD - well, at least you get an 'A' for consistency - grouping "Cripples, Asians, Athesists [sic] and Pedophiles" (???!!!) - keep it up & you could win assh*le of the year - and add it to your "one of the a.net superpowers" qualifications.

Just curious - people get away with posting outrageously biased crap here every day, but do you actually get away with opinions/speech like that among live humans? Your post has absolutely nothing to do with the thread title, and pretty much violates rule 1.a), in addition to being extremely crude.

I'd suggest deletion, but I'd rather get you a bullhorn so you can keep broadcasting your "heterosexual white christian male values" from your little digital soapbox.
··· [·] oooooooo [·] oooo oo ooooo [·] ooooooooooooooooooo [·]

TWFirst

>>You know how that goes L-188:

Judge Moore, being a heterosexual white Christian male is wrong by default. Why? Because he was a heterosexual white Christian male.

Everyone else....women...the gays/lesbians...the blacks, Asians, Latins, Cripples, Wiccans, Athesists, Pedophiles, etc. (along with anyone who happens to support them) are "only practicing what they believe in."

Remember. If you are a heterosexual white Christian male, you can do no right.

Everyone else can do no wrong.<<

Well, now we understand why Matt shaved his head.... did you get the swastika tattoo yet Matt??

Aaron747

Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:50 am

Personal attacks do nothing for the seriousness of the issue at hand. Pardon me for allowing my debate experience to but in...but really...can we keep the insults out of this?

maiznblu_757

Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:51 am

I doubt Matt D is racist... He hangs with KROC now, and KROC likes Sistas...

TWFirst

Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:59 am

So one must assume Matt and L-188 would have the exact same opinion of the Judge Moore situation if Moore were Muslim and he had a giant replica of the Quran installed in the courthouse?

North County

Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:07 am

I personally think it was a ploy by the mayor to raise funds - what does a marriage license in S.F goes for Superfly?

Times the number of licenses issued = a large amount of money they could be added to the budget to offset part the illegal alien cost in S.F.

He is a wealthy white conservative after all...

Aaron747

Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:12 am

Newsom is conservative? okay......

The illegal alien cost in SF? okay....think you need to look toward LA buddy. The Russian and Chinese communities have well established support networks that greatly relieve San Francisco of that burden.

As for the cost, it's $80.

North County

Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:20 am

Aaron747 -

Do you know how many Lic. they have and plan to issue during this period?

North County

Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:38 am

Looks like it is 3000 x $80 = $240,000

"Gay and lesbian couples from Europe and more than 20 states have lined up outside the ornate San Francisco City Hall since city officials decided to begin marrying same-sex couples six days ago. City officials said 172 couples were married Tuesday, a pace that would bring the total number who have taken vows promising to be "spouses for life" to over 3,000 by Friday."

Now figure in all the people flying in and staying at hotels, flowers for the ceremonies, catering, eating at cafe's and bars - it could total over 3 million to the local economy! Plus all the news media and press for S.F. This is one economic genius.

Forget Kerry - they should pick this guy to square off with Bush.

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:51 am

He is a wealthy white conservative after all...

Newsome is wealthy, male, white, beautiful, and Christian..... but where on Earth are you getting "conservative" from????

Confused  Confused  Confused

L-188

Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:02 am

So one must assume Matt and L-188 would have the exact same opinion of the Judge Moore situation if Moore were Muslim and he had a giant replica of the Quran installed in the courthouse?

Is it so bad that I want laws to be applied consistantly and enforced the same way?

Like it or not there is a double standard, liberal politicians tend to get off much lighter then their conservative breathern.

Cops, that don't follow the rules of the road and do things that would get me ticketed piss me off too.

Point being there is a set of rules to follow to get the law changed, and this mayor is not following them. Also I wonder about liablity against the city if these fraudulant" (which legally they are, since the city isn't authorized to issue them) marriage licenses are contested by employeers and other cities that all these people live in, deny their legality.

Can't you see one big firestorm on the horizon, from this mayors actions.

Aaron747

Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:13 am

Not really - all of that will be irrelevant when the state Supreme Court overturns prop 22 as a result of this.