cptkrell

Accuracy Of Your Local Weather Forcasting

Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:19 am

Well, today is low 30s F and a bit more new snow already on the ground as opposed to the predicted mid-40s and chance of rain which would have been conducive to some chores I had planned. I figure "nothing's changed" when it comes to local (Detroit-area) weather predictions...that is, it's best to go to other sources if it's important to me. During my two-month stay in middle Tennessee, the area (out of Nashville) predictions seemed to be about 90% accurate, helpful as I didn't have regular access to a computer.

The question is, are the seemingly unreliable forcasts in Detroit an anamoly, or do many of you folks have hit-and-miss local forcasters too? I know Great Lakes areas are subject to sometimes more fast weather changes than other locales, and I may be subconsciously remembering only the "bad" predictions, but I feel that our guys' reliability ratings are a bit on the low end of the chart. Regards...Jack
all best; jack

L-188

RE: Accuracy Of Your Local Weather Forcasting

Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:23 am

Jeeze, forget TV weather reports.

I get my stuff at work from the Duats system and National Weather service directly and it ain't any better.

Says there is light snow here right now.....Damm if I haven't seen a single flake!
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

KYIPpilot

Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:50 am

I usually don't trust anything past the next day forecast. Earlier this year it was predicted that we were supposed to get 6-11 inches of snow one day, and it turned out we got 2-3 inches.
"It starts when you're always afraid; You step out of line, the man come and take you away" -Buffalo Springfield

kilavoud

Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:53 am

Sunday Sunny Max 89F Min 68F  Laugh out loud
Monday Sunny Max 88F Min 68F  Laugh out loud
Tuesday Sunny Max 88F Min 68F  Laugh out loud
Wednesday Sunny Max 88F Min 68F  Laugh out loud

Actually in my home in Pondycherry, India.

Weather foracasting is a snap here as the sun is always shining.
Impossible not be accurate.

Cheers. Kilavoud.

EGGD

Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:20 am

No its nearly always wrong.

FoxBravo

Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:15 am

Lately it seems that the weather forecasters in NY don't know their heads from their a$$es. It's almost comical--when they make dire predictions of a winter storm, it will miss us entirely, and when they say just a few light flurries, we'll end up with a foot of snow. Better to just look out the window and take a guess!
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

ProSimTec

Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:38 am

Yeah, it seems the Detroit weather guys are striking out this year (No Tiger comments please). They've called for a couple of monster storms this season and nothing developed. It disappoined the hell out of my kids, who we already making plans for a snow day. What's equally as bad is when the station sends out their "Storm Team" when there are only 2" of snow on the ground, like it's some big deal.

TheGov

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:06 pm

Weather Forecaster:

The only job where you can be wrong 100% of the time and still keep your job.
Always a pallbearer, never a corpse.

CanadianNorth

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:20 pm

Our forecasts come from Kelowna, BC. The pinheads down there try to predict the weather 5 days from now. Half the time they cand get within 10 degrees of tomorow morning. They are clueless about our weather. I only use them to get the current conditions, the only part that they can get right.

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

IMissPiedmont

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:20 pm

I live just outside Tucson where we have 350 days of sunshine per year. Not a tough job to be a TV weatherperson here. I rely on looking out the window in the morning. If I see the mountain peak, it will be dry, if not it will be dry later on, and if the dog is inside, it will be rainy all day.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

KROC

Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:16 pm

Weather Guessers are a bunch of damn liars, lol. I usually take the forecasts I see on T.V. of from the web, then if I need something accurate, I will go download some Upper Air Charts and give them a quick once over as well as a few other weather products and come up with my own forecast. I tend to be more accurate than the 80K a year pluss National Weather Service Guys. A little Air Force Training can take you a long way, to bad I can't parlay that into a solid weather gig, lol.

LHMark

Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:31 pm

Wow. an accurate forecast for ROC.

Monday: continuing cold and crappy with a certainty of precipitation in some form.

Tuesday: see Monday

Amazing! KROC, you're truly a "weather wizard."

"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

KROC

Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:40 pm

I've lived in other places LHMark. Give me some credit...

Savannah - Hot and Humid with a good chance of Thunderstorms (winter, it may rain)

Sacramento - Hot and Hazy (winter, it will rain)

Mississippi - Didn't care

Korea - Forecast, Summer Monsoons, winter COLD, and high levels of foul smell and pollution everyday