lehpron

Why Did The Red Cross Visit Saddam?

Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:43 am

I do not see the point of this, the bastard is just fine and dandy, for God's sakes he's gettin better treatment than a vet would a rabit dog. It's like, "open ur mouf bitch, goooood booy" -- a f*ckin PR stunt.

When the hell is that trial? They better not just dump him into GT bay, I want that ass-monkey dead, I do not want that bastard on our soil!
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

aloges

RE: Why Did The Red Cross Visit Saddam?

Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:25 am

"They better not just dump him into GT bay, I want that ass-monkey dead, I do not want that bastard on our soil!"

And the problem would be?

Here's an article on that visit, and three interesting quotes: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3509557.stm

"The visit to Saddam Hussein followed the same procedure as all others conducted by the Red Cross which is responsible for monitoring the welfare of prisoners of war under the Geneva Conventions."

"The US gave Saddam Hussein prisoner of war (POW) status on 9 January, paving the way for the Red Cross to visit him."

"... the Red Cross said US forces followed all the procedures required for the visit."

It was a standard procedure to visit him, and everyone involved acted in accordance with that. So what's the problem?
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

scottysair

Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:31 am

Where is he now? Is that he somewhere in US to the prison into Cuba? How?

artsyman

Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:47 am

The Red Cross has an internationally agreed mandate in which they can visit any prisoner of war. Most western countries adhere to this, many others do not. The US was pretty cautious about letting them get to Saddam this time due to the fact that there has been plenty of commentary to suggest Al Qaeda inflitration into Red Cross and many other organizations, and also due to the fact that the Red Cross gets un-supervised access to the prisoner. Therefore who knows what can be arranged or discussed during that time. The reason for it being un-supervised is to allow the prisoner to speak freely and without intimidation.

J

777236ER

Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:07 am

Letting the Red Cross visit him and verify that he's being treated well will be important if there's ever a trial. Saddam can't claim he wasn't treated well.

Though it's worrying that Saddam Hussein is treated much better than the (many arguably at the wrong place at the wrong time) prisoners at Guantanamo.
Your bone's got a little machine

cancidas

Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:41 am

stop thinking of him as an asshole and think of him as a human for just a few minutes. he deserves the same medical care that anyone else does.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

IMissPiedmont

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:52 pm

You might want to study the Geneva Convention a bit, Lehpron. Sure he's a bastard but so what? He's a captive bastard.

And put away the vitrolic attacks, they're childish.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

airplay

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:27 pm

Lehpron, I am glad you are not in any position of authority or control of any human being. With your attitude, you could have been Saddam....

This type of response is just another to pile on the stack of very disturbing statements of late.

When dealing with criminals, it is absolutely essential not to sink to the level of the criminal. Otherwise how would we tell the difference between the good guys and the bad guys.