UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Countries With No Apparent Border-crossings

Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:40 pm

I went to Northern Ireland over the WE and was astonished to see that there was no border control, no Customs/Garda officers, no official buildings, not even a flag !
I was expecting something like the Nort Korea/South Korea border and the DMZ Big grin
Are there any other countries with inexistent borders ?

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

ArmitageShanks

RE: Countries With No Apparent Border-crossings

Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:57 pm

Wales/England/Scotland

ArmitageShanks

Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:58 pm

Oh yeah and St. Martin. Dutch/French sides. Not exactly countries, but seperate.....

707CMF

Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:12 pm

You can also go from Farnce to Elbonia without knowing it...

MD11Engineer

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:02 pm

All crossings within the Schengen agreement area. I´m regularly crossing from Germany into Belgium and the Netherlands. All you see is a sign with a European flag and the name of the country you are entering written on it and usualy a big sign with the local driving rules (maximum speeds on motorway, highway and towns). The old customs buildings are usualy rotting empty on the road side. Also taking the ferry boat from Ireland to France (Rosslare to Roscoff), you just drive off the ship, no controls.Same between Britain and Ireland.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

traveler_7

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:12 pm

Once I was crossing from Finland to Norway, there were some thing like Customs office on the side of Finland but I did not notice anything on Norwegian side.

Norwegian Swedish border was even less noticeable. Perhaps there were some kind of sign but I did not notice it myself. It was a bus driver who inform that we are already in Sweden.

zak

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:40 pm

as md11eng stated, inside the schengen countries you will have such borders.

since the uk and ireland are also schengen countries, you witnessed such a border.
some benelux countries have even less noticeable borders. when you drive to belgium in maastrict, you will not even see a border since it runs somewhere through the city. it looks as normal as every other street and i guess the border has to be running through gardens and houses of people.
10=2

Banco

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:51 pm

The UK and Ireland are not Schengen countries.

However, they have always had a customs union, long predating the EU.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

MD11Engineer

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:52 pm

Zak,
Just a moment! Ireland and Britain are NOT Schengen agreement countries.
Britain refused to join when it was signed. Ireland on the other hand has a longstanding agreement with Britain about no border controls between Britain and Ireland. If Ireland would have joined the Schengen agreement, they would have had to introduce border controls for travelers to and from the UK. Concerning the close economic ties with the UK theydidn´t want to do this.
Normaly acc.to the Schengen agreement there should have been a border check betweeen France and Ireland, as e.g. between the Netherlands or France and the UK, but it doesn´t seem to be enforced.

Jan

zak

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:56 pm

oh ok thanks for correcting that.

btw, you will also almost always have an invisible border in the alps.
10=2

MD11Engineer

Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:21 pm

Zak,
Where? When I crossed from France to Italy two yearsago over a mountain pass road (I forgot which one) there was nothing, just a big parking lot close to the summit, where the border control post used to be (and some old pill boxes and bunkers on the French side from before WW2)

Jan

UTA_flyinghigh
Topic Author

Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:33 pm

There is a border check between France and Ireland if you are coming in by sea (moe a vehicle check than a person check), but almost none when coming by air (The Garda just looks at your French ID 1/500th of a second)

UTA
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

MD11Engineer

Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:15 pm

UTA,

I´ve used the ferry from Rosslare to Roscoff in 2002 , no checks at all.

Jan

rojo

Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:13 am

When I saw the border between Mexico and Guatemala I almost laughed of what Mexico calls a border control... Just a rope and one or two police officers. People can walk 10 or 20 meters from the border control and cross from one country to the other without problems!!!

N312RC

Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:15 am

There should be border control for the City of Detroit entering the rest of Michigan... unfortunately there isnt..

Signed, the suburbs

Big grin

[Edited 2004-03-01 17:15:50]
N/A

Banco

Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:31 am

Not a border crossing as such, but when you drive from England to Wales along the M4 over the new Severn crossing, the bastards charge you about £8 for the privilege!  Wow! Returning into England, on the other hand is free.

Hmmm, there's something in that, I think.  Big grin
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

gkirk

Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:02 am

Banco: The English(those who survive) dont get into Scotland for free either  Big grin I stand at the border with a bazooka shooting any cars that are English (those cars with the English or Union Jack flag)  Laugh out loud
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

cptkrell

Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:03 am

N312RC; actually there WAS a border control (and heavily enforced, too) on the Detroit/Dearborn city limits, or, don't you remember Mayor Orville Hubbard?
Regards...Jack
all best; jack

zak

Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:06 am

@: MD11Engineer

almost everywhere aside from transit roads and railway. when you go hiking you will notice there is no fence or anything in that area  Smile
10=2

trident3

Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:32 am

Q :What is the best thing to come out of Wales?
A:The M4 Big grin
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

trident3

Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:40 am

And whilst we're on about it do you reckon we could get lottery money to rebuild Hadrian's Wall. I'm sure that would be acceptable both sides of the border.  Wink/being sarcastic
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

N312RC

Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:56 am

Of course I remember Orville Hubbard. Who could forget his famous "Keep Dearborn Clean" campaign and his stationing of sharpshooters on Michigan Ave. with orders to "shoot looters on sight" during the 67 riots!
N/A

cptkrell

Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:40 am

N312RC: "Sharpshooters?" Hmmmm..?.me being nearly a quarter-of-a-century of age THEN, and living in Detroit while all this was going on, (and since THEN, and now still living in Dearborn), I can't recall specificities on "sharpshooters".

Before you were born (the Detroit riots), Mayor Hubbard, during the insane unrest in Detroit, refused to let anybody without a legitimate reason to enter the city and the Dearborn Police enforced a "border patrol" and guess what? NO PROBLEMS in Dearborn. Guess what again? That was o.k. with me at the time and I've been just fine, thank you. My in-progress move to southern climes are more weather and `property-oriented... Regards...Jack
all best; jack

Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:54 am

Slovenia still has border crossings with Italy and Austria, as it is not part of Schengen yet, but once you get off the main roads, you can simply walk across the border. Hikers do it all the time and there are even mountain huts right near the border catering to them -- no-one will check your passport there (although they have the right to do that). In effect, if you don't have a car, you can cross the border very easily if you know where to go. However, large groups of illegals are caught fairly frequently.

This, BTW, is what the point where Italy, Austria, and Slovenia meet:

The same holds true for the Slovenian-Croatian border, but in that case, the controls are likely to increase when Slovenia enters the Schengen area and that border becomes the EU's border as well.