Superfly
Topic Author

John Kerry’s VP Pick; Senator Mary Landrieu?

Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:41 pm

My favorite conservative Southern Senator.  Smokin cool

http://www.kplctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1689921&nav=0nqxLJ3t

Louisiana US Senator Mary Landrieu as John Kerry's running mate? It may be on the way.

John Kerry will be in New Orleans Friday, and Mary Landrieu will be at his rally.

The Kerry Campaign is putting in bleachers and sound systems to handle the thousands who will be on hand for the noon time event, free and open to the public.

Kerry has been in Florida all day and will be arriving Friday morning for the rally at Woldenberg Park.

Just about every Louisiana elected official will be there, from Gov. Blanco to Congressman Bill Jefferson, to Senator John Breaux, and yes, Mary Landrieu, flying in from Washington.

We caught up with her in Washington to get her comment on being mentioned as a possible running mate for Kerry: "I would consider it. But it's too premature right now. There are many people being considered, and it's not something you actively seek. It's something that just works because that's what the party and what the country is looking for."

University of New Orleans Political Scientist Dr. Susan Howell says Landrieu would be an exciting choice and would help the Kerry campaign in the south.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/03/04/politics0253EST0437.DTL

I'd love to see how these two fair in a debate. Big grin

Which of the two do you think will win over with the voters?  Smile

Thanks for the links Bruno  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

zak

RE: John Kerry’s VP Pick; Senator Mary Landrieu?

Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:45 pm

i dont know who she is but surely seems to be a good choice in getting bush out of office, female from the south, if it gets more votes in the south and women, then im all for it!
only question is if she isnt "too french" sounding, since that seems to be a bad thing these days in the u.s., i am not sure if it could also hurt the campaign.
10=2

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:51 pm

Zak:
I hear you man.
I can't believe the anti-French propaganda campaign the middle part of my country fell for.  Sad

I am not sure if this would attract the 'bubba' vote in the deep south but will certainly draw a lot of independents and moderates that may have accidentally voted for Dubya in 2000.
Bring back the Concorde

L-188

Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:08 pm

He could pick worse,

She does tend to vote for Alaska Issues such as opening ANWR, so the loss of her vote in congress would hurt.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:14 pm

L-188:
So we can count on your vote for the Kerry Landrieu ticket?
Kerry/Landrieu will protect your freedoms more than Dick & Bush.
Bring back the Concorde

L-188

Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:24 pm

Sorry,

The VP doesn't have as much power as people think.

Better to keep Mary in the Senate where her vote counts.

cfalk

Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:24 pm

Well she is certainly better than Kerry. Maybe they ought to trade places.

But I would say that her centrist stance will guarantee her a simple poster-child duty as VP, without any real influence. Kerry is too much of a liberal and egoist to allow that. She would just be a vote-getter.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:25 pm

L-188:
Actually, Louisiana's new governor is also a Democrat from the same wing of the Democratic Party as Mary Landrieu. Therefore she'll most likely pick another conservative Democrat like Landrieu that will vote the same.
This is Louisiana, not California. Don't worry, Mary Landrieu nor John Kerry will take your guns away.  Smile
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:27 pm

Cfalk:
She would just be a vote-getter.

And that's all that matters at this point.
Our great nation in under seige by the Cheney/Bush/Halliburton regime and they MUST be crushed!
Bring back the Concorde

L-188

Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:28 pm

I still have to prefer Charles's idea, Larry.

Actually both Johnny just got recalled back to Washington to help kill fireams tort reform this week. So no I don't trust him with my guns.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:31 pm

L-188:
Keep in mind, Bill Clinton had a Democratic Congress his first two years in office and he didn't take away your guns.
Why do you think Kerry will do it with a Republican Congress?
Bring back the Concorde

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:39 pm

Keep in mind, President Kerry will be too busy undoing the damage by Cheney, Bush, Rumsfeld, Ridge, Wolfowitz, A$$croft, Halliburton, Rove and others we don't even know about. Therfore the last thing Kerry would concern himself with is trying to take guns away from law abiding citizens.

Kerry has been in politics long enough to know that gun control is a losing argument in many states.
Bring back the Concorde

L-188

Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:42 pm

Sorry but the Assault Weapon ban that with luck will expire this year was on his watch, As was the "Brady bill" which has done nothing it was promised too.

But again, why should I vote to remove somebody from congress such as Mary that tends to side on my issues?

Kind of the same reason Why I will probably not for for Tony Knowles, who I passed at REI today BTW, over Lisa Murkowski in the Senate race.

To vote for Tony would be a vote for Daschle to run this state, and my thoughts about nepotisim just don't overpower that fact.

cfalk

Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:44 pm

And that's all that matters at this point.

Just watch out that you don't throw out the shit and bring in the diarrhoea. Kerry smells pretty bad to me.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Charles

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:44 pm

That joke of a newspaper we have here in San Francisco (Chronicle) ran an article about Diane Feinstein being a possible choice.
They obviously are just trying to sell papers.
The dumbest thing Kerry could possibly do on the campaign is pick Diane Feinstein. Even Walter Mondale was wise enough to pass her up in 1984.
Picking a female VP is risky as it is. Then picking a Jewish one from a state that's going to vote Democrat anyway is just stupid!
Bring back the Concorde

L-188

Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:46 pm

I would love it if Diane Fienstein got picked.

Another pretty stationary target to shoot at.

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:53 pm

L-188:
Daschle is a good man from a conservative state that hasn't gone Democrat since 1964. He has been in the Senate long enough to know that it's not a good idea to preassure Senators from conservative states to go along with ideals important to big city liberals. He will just turn the heat up on Prick San torum, Arlen Sphenkter, Coleman and other GOP Senators representing the wrong states.
The Dems have ousted D'Amato, Roth, Gordon, Grahm (MN) and Abraham.

Cfalk:
You think Kerry smalls bad?
Dick&Bush is rotten, evil and is the lowest form of life on earth!
Bring back the Concorde

cfalk

Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:57 pm

You think Kerry smalls bad?
Dick&Bush is rotten, evil and is the lowest form of life on earth!

I agree that they are pretty bad, but I think Kerry would be worse. Mark my words - America will rue the day (long term) if Kerry is elected.

Charles

Superfly
Topic Author

Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:01 pm

Cfalk:
I just want Kerry to pick the next U.S. Supreme Court Justice.
Bring back the Concorde

L-188

Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:19 pm

Larry, Tommy is one of the big obstructionists to Alaskan Issues, I can't back that.

Alpha 1

Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:21 pm

So no I don't trust him with my guns.

Another reason to vote for the man. The less guns the better.

Mark my words - America will rue the day (long term) if Kerry is elected.

On the contrary. It will rue the day if it allows this ultra-conservative Administraiton to wreak havoc on this nation another 4 years. You think he's an extremsts now? Wait till he has no more elections to win. The U.S. won't have a friend left in the world, left to this man.

zak

Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:27 pm

" You think he's an extremsts now? Wait till he has no more elections to win."

exactly my worries
10=2

Alpha 1

Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:33 pm

We're still at a point, I fear, where a woman on the ticket will draw away more votes than it will attract. Kerry will make a safe pick, like Richardson, or, I believe, Edwards. I think a Kerry/Edwards ticket is the strongest one to pit against Bush and Cheney. And I think the Dems sense a weakness with Cheney on the ticket.

And L-188, threatening a U.S. Senator like that? Perhaps the FBI would be interested in that. Your arrogance and ignorance grows by the day, I suspect, out of fear that Bush might actually lose.

jaysit

Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:37 pm

I think we are "rue-ing" the day that Bush got put into office by that hideous combination of the soporific Al Gore, Ralph Nader, Florida Republican thugs, and Rehnquist and his band of judicial activists.

Four years of rueing.

No more rueing, I say.

As far as the collective post-Kerry win "rueing" of our Bush loving Swiss friend is concerned, all I can say is have some more muesli with your morning coffee and ... relax. At least you will ensure that HRC won't be Prez in 2008.

Smile

Atheism is Myth Understood.

cfalk

Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:45 pm

our Bush loving Swiss friend is concerned

Excuse me, but didn't I call him a piece of shit a few replies ago? I am hardly "Bush-loving".

I simply think that Bush is the better of two poor choices.

Charles

Alpha 1

Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:49 pm

Bush has turned the people of this nation one against the other over countless issues; he's driven away traditional friends an allies away over his all-or-nothing worldview; he's attempting to amend the Constitution to fit his own personal morals; he's allowing industries to put workers more at risk by getting rid of safety measures, in the name of profit; he's led us into one war we had no business fighting; he led us into that war as a first resort, not a last, as he claims.

He needs to go. Anger alone won't do it, but he's so angered a lot of people, that he's galvanized the opposition in a way that even a great conservative like Reagan could never have dreamed possible. The Dems do still need a few breaks, but they have a legitimate chance to oust Bush. And that would be a very good thing for the U.S. and the world.

jaysit

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:03 pm

"I simply think that Bush is the better of two poor choices."

Well, its either Kerry now, or Hillary later.
Pick the better of your two evils  Smile

Becuz, I think that HRC is all poised to run in 2008. She's already jockeyed into position as a foreign policy hawk, a compassionate social liberal, and watch for HRC opposing any new taxes or, for that matter, any tax repeal.

And she can kick Ann Coulter's bony behind, Cheney's fat tucchus, and jab a knee into Bill Frist's bigoted little crotch better than any Democrat I know.

L-188

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:06 pm

A Hillary run is still going to be problematic for her.

I don't know if all those people are going to forget the baggage she brings with her. Four years may not be enough time to forget.

jaysit

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:11 pm

L-188:

I used to think that HRC had the kind of political baggage that would sink her political career. But she is VERY popular in her base, and has made significant inroads into other bases since 2000. While she will face major hurdles, her Senate record just screams of HRC casting herself as "compassionate neo-con." So, I suspect she can surprise even the best crystal ball political experts.

L-188

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:14 pm

As popular as she is in her base, she is very unpopular amongst a large group also.

If she ran I would expect to see a very polarized election.

Kind of like GW now, there are a lot of people that are going to vote against him just because they can't stand him, and a lot that will for for him becasue they can't stand the opponent.

Alpha 1

Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:35 pm

Brother and sister?

texan

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:08 am

Senator Landrieu would certainly be an interesting choice who could draw the Southern moderates, but I still believe that Gov. Richardson will be Kerry's VP. Hispanic voters will be encouraged to go to the polls, the Clintonian dems respect him, and he has excellent foreign policy experience. I think Richardson would secure Florida, California, and would make a push for Arizona. There could even be a large show of support for a Kerry/Richardson ticket in Texas! Probably can't win, although yesterday on CNN they stated that since Texas has lost so many jobs over the past few years it is now becoming close to a wash (I don't buy the argument but that's the way I'm voting in Texas), but it would be interesting to see Texas put into play and to make Bush defend his turf. That's all from this neck of the woods for right now, until next time, adios!

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Alpha 1

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:13 am

I can't see Bush losing Texas, anymore than I can see Kerry losing his base states, like the Northeast and Californina. Although I think with Ahnold in Sacramento, the GOP has some delusions of grandeur about winning Californina, but I think Bush should keep his resources on the key battleground states.

The election will be won or lost in Florida, Michigan, Ohio, Illinios, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania-the key southern state, and the Midwest where the "outsourcing" has been felt the most, and where the economic "recovery", such as it is, is lagging. Those, along with the Carolinas (if Edwards is the VEEP nominee), and Arizona could also be keys in a tight race.

JetService

Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:03 am

Alpha1, I don't think there are any delusion about Calif. It's just primed enough to force Kerry to burn a lot of cash there.
"Shaddap you!"

Superfly
Topic Author

Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:19 am

Update from California.

John Kerry needs not to waste a penny here. Arnold can pound his chest all he wants but people are not going to vote for G W here.
Bring back the Concorde

bruno

Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:09 am

Alpha1

Who is that guy with the football?
I support the women’s movement up and down!

ConcordeBoy

Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:15 am

John Elway... hell, even I knew that!  Laugh out loud
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

bruno

Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:18 am

Embarrassment Darn I should have known that.
I've booed and heckled him when the Broncos came and played against the Giants back in 1992 or 93.

Intially I thaught that was him but I just assumed Alpha1 was correct.

Sorry I don't think Mary Landrieu looks anything like John Elway.

bruno

Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:55 am

Superfly

Which of the two do you think will win over with the voters?

I have an idea which of the two will win over with the voters.

EA CO AS

Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:57 am

Your arrogance and ignorance grows by the day

You mean like how you celebrated Ashcroft's hospitalization, Alpha 1?  Big grin
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Alpha 1

Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:05 pm

Exactly, EA CO AS!!!

But Ashcroft deserves it, in my estimation.

Superfly
Topic Author

Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:27 pm

JetService:
If Kerry picks Evan Bayh, would you vote for Kerry/Bayh?

Bruno:
Looks like Dick is about to grave a woman's breast in that shot. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

commander_rabb

Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:40 pm

Mondale all over again if Kerry picks this southern looser.

Cheney would tear her to shreds. Kerry should go for it!

More popcorn for my political shredding amusement.

Superfly
Topic Author

Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:37 pm

Correction

I meant to say; "Looks like Dick is about to grab a woman's breast in that shot.
Bring back the Concorde

Alpha 1

Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:01 am

Commander rabb, how come you seem to know so much about "losers"?

Usually, it means one looks in the mirror too often.  Wink/being sarcastic

cfalk

Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:04 am

Here is a good little bit of evidence to show that Kerry is unlikely to bring a very good result for the U.S. economy. The following is a table showing some of the big interest groups rankings of Kerry.

Ignoring the obvious ADA and ACU groups...

Pro-Kerry:
- Abortion Lobby
- Organized Labor
- League of Conservation Voters

Against Kerry:
- Right to Life
- NRA
- National Taxpayers' Union
- Americans for Tax Reform
- Citizens against government waste
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Federation of Independant Business

Now, considering that the lifeblood of the American economy is business and commerce, and the heart is the American taxpayer, that does not look good. Support of the AFL-CIO, tree-huggers and single would-be mothers will not make up the difference.

Just a little more gasoline on the fire...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Charles

Superfly
Topic Author

Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:04 am

Cfalk:
Thanks for the info. More reasons for me to vote for Kerry.
It's in very poot taste to make genrealizations and stereotype women have had abortions.
But hey, G W Bush has the support of those who murder abortion doctors.
Bring back the Concorde

L-188

Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:55 pm

You know, if the chamber of commerce comes out against a canidate, you know you have to question their willingness to improve the economy.

Superfly
Topic Author

Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:27 am

Cfalk:
Do you have the ranking for Mary Landrieu?
Bring back the Concorde

DC10GUY

Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:58 am

Superfly, When it comes to pu-tang I am non-partisan. I would vote for that babe if she was a card carrying NRA, right wing 700 club member. Yes she is HOT! But most good looking babes are liberals .............
Next time try the old "dirty Sanchez" She'll love it !!!