sfointern

Rank Your Ivy League Universities

Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:01 pm

Everyone! It's time to RANK YOUR IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES. (In terms of your desire to attend.) The contestants are:

Penn
Columbia
Harvard
Yale
Dartmouth
Cornell

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A330Fan1

RE: Rank Your Ivy League Universities

Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:21 pm

Columbia !!! !!! !!!

-A330Fan1

sfointern

Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:18 pm

Do you go to Columbia, A330?

kalakaua

Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:27 pm

BROWN? Because of that, they get my pity vote. I vote Brown.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

FoxBravo

Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:35 pm

Having already attended two of them, I don't have any particular desire to go back--or to any other school, for that matter. But if I were starting all over again, I guess I'd rank them the same way:

1. Princeton
2. Columbia
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

desertjets

Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:27 pm

First of all, I don't think anybody actually considers Cornell to be an Ivy, by any measure. I think the list would include only the big 7.

Dartmouth
Harvard
Brown
Yale
Columbia
Princeton
Penn

Some might be tempted to add Stanford and perhaps Duke to the list as well. Schools like Middleberry and Swathmore also qualify.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

maxmax

Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:41 pm

UPENN
kELLOGG
HARVARD

THAT'S IT

Oh! ALMOST FORGOT....NOVA SOUTHEASTERN UNIV.

FoxBravo

Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:04 am

DesertJets, there is actually a firm definition of the "Ivy League," and Cornell is unquestionably a member, while Stanford, Duke, etc.--though obviously excellent schools--are not. It is not simply a generic term for the country's top schools, but rather a college athletic league whose members must abide by certain regulations (e.g., no athletic scholarships). See http://etc.princeton.edu/CampusWWW/Companion/ivy_league.html.

fspilot747

Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:32 am

Harvard: The University of Michigan of the West Big grin

FSP

STT757

Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:55 am

Princeton is the most prestigious University In the US according to US News and World Reports annual lists, Princeton has been on top for the last 5 years.

BTW.. I live about 15-20 minute drive from Princeton, very nice town and campus but it's people are definetly not New Jersey.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

VectorVictor

Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:13 am

Cornell not Ivy League...Ouch that hurts this former part-time Cornell student.

For what it's worth, Cornell has the most scenic Ivy League campus, IMHO. Ithaca is Gorges!

Pendrilsaint

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:33 am

From a Columbia Student...Yay for Columbia! =)

but other than here I would say: Harvard and Dartmouth

Arch89U

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:52 am

I looked at a lot of the Ivy league schools. But decided on Notre Dame.

For academics:

1) Cornell: unbeatable in terms of reputation, research, and old manuscripts.

For overall experience:

1) Harvard: the best. Stanford and Duke like to pretend they're Harvard.

How I would rank the Ivies:

1) Harvard
2) Princeton
3) Columbia
4) Yale
5) Cornell
6) UPenn
7) Brown
8) Dartmouth

ArmitageShanks

Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:01 am

Duke anyone? Well, I would like to think so.

MD-90

Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:04 am

I'd rather go to a state school than any of the overpriced Ivy League schools any day. Give me a Mississippi State or a University of Georgia over Harvard and Princeton.

Moolies

Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:14 am

Penn
Harvard
Yale
Princeton
Columbia
Brown

P.S. I have a friend who has been accepted and is going to brown as a freshmen in september. ANd 2 other friends who are gonna apply, one to yale and im not sure where the other to.

I how ever will most probally try and do a post grad there. At Penn.

Pendrilsaint

Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:25 am

Btw, the U.S. news and world report ranking is utter B.S. The peer assessment (aka prestige factor) is not in order for the top schools. For instance, blowing my own school's horn, Columbia should be higher than 11 on the list if you go by prestige. However, they throw in a bunch of other crap that keeps great schools out of the top 10. Penn should not be in the top 10, neither should Washington in St. Louis. Also, Duke has an amazing amazing medical school, but it is not a research powerhouse (save in medicine). Finally, the school that got the biggest screwover on that list has to be University of Chicago, that school should be in the top ten if not the top five. It is one of the most respected academic institutions in the world. For almost any field, ask an expert where the top researchers in something will be, and you can almost count on someone from Chicago being in that last.

USAFHummer

Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:29 am

"Harvard: The University of Michigan of the West "

Uh last time I checked Harvard was on the East Coast, and decidedly east of UMich...whats going on out there in Ann Arbor???  Big grin

On topic, I didnt have much of desire to go to an Ivy League school, not that I could get in anyways, but they are all too close to where Im from in the PHL area and I wanted to get the heck away from the East Coast...my closest friend from HS does go to UPenn though...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Chi-town

Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:48 am

None of them! Here I come Arizona State!

Theiler

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:47 am

For MBA programs, Penn and Columbia, hands down.

jcs17

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:50 am

Cornell not Ivy League...Ouch that hurts this former part-time Cornell student.

For what it's worth, Cornell has the most scenic Ivy League campus, IMHO. Ithaca is Gorges!

Gorges?! Was Spelling 1302 not offered?
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Usairwys757

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:53 am

Gorges?! Was Spelling 1302 not offered?

LMAO,  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud
Inactive.....

pacificjourney

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:56 am

No, Ithaca is GORGES ... don't they run to an encyclopedia or atlas at Upper mid-Where ever A and M ?

Ivy league schools are an over-rated waste of money for an under-grad degree. Post grad is a different story but anyone who makes their choice based on these 'rankings' just isn't doing their homework over such an important decision.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

FoxBravo

Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:59 am

Jcs17, it's an old joke/pun, featured on bumper stickers, T-shirts, etc. Ithaca is known for its beautiful gorges. Get it? You need to get out more.  Smile

Pendrilsaint

Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:20 pm

Hey Hey PacificJourney, its not a waste of money when the school is paying for most of it. So I'm not going to complain about going to an Ivy League school for undergrad. The fact of the matter though PacificJourney, is that the connection you make at an Ivy League Campus (especially NYC based ones like Columbia) do carry over into the real world. Furthermore, the schools are no more expensive than any other private university in the United States.

rjpieces

Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:42 pm

I'll let you know in 3 weeks when I find out if I got into Brown or not  Smile  Smile
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

us330

Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:00 pm

Just on personal preference, as to where I would be most likely to attend, as I have applied to 4 of the 8. (top 4 are the ones I applied to)
Harvard-great academics, incredible atmosphere, and Cambridge in your back yard. Besides, its Harvard for gosh sakes.
Penn-"bad boy" party school of the Ivies. good academics, but the people don't eat drink and sleep it, which is a good thing. Definitely knows that weekends have no classes for a reason. Probably the best quality of life
Yale-academically equal, if not superior, to Harvard. great residential college system. However, New Haven is the armpit of America, and my dad went there (do not want to be known as his son or a legacy). Also, incredible undergrad experience, if you don't mind working your ass off.
Brown-Love the open curriculum. A true center of learning where your education is entirely up to you. However, way too many artsy-fartsy and east coast snob types for my liking.
Dartmouth-too rural for my liking, although it would be fun to go to with all the parties.
Princeton-while one of if not the best academically, it has too much of a country-club type feel and very southern and aristocratic snobby like. Would not fit in at all.
Cornell-Highest suicide rate in the nation, and way too remote.
Columbia-Core curriculum sucks. No academic freedom at all, and it is basically a Bob Jones university for hardcore, upper east side liberals. Would not fit in with the kids.

Pendrilsaint

Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:52 pm

Us330, don't be so harsh on the core at Columbia. We look at it as being sad that a comp. lit major from Brown can come out with having read a single one of the great masterpieces of the Western Canon. Frankly, I think Brown's academic freedom takes it a bit too far. Pass/fail classes? Come on, anyone can do a pass fail class. Also, sometimes undergrads just don't know best at what it is they need to know. I think its a great thing that everyone at Columbia will come out having read Homer, Virgil, and Socrates. I won't refute you on the Bob Jones for liberals, although it's kind of fun to play the part of the conservative opposition here.

kbuf737

Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:57 pm

Why go Ivy League when you have Jesuits!

Boston College
Georgetown
Fordham
Loyola Maryland
Loyola Chicago
St. Joes

and of course the best: Canisius!
The tower? Rapunzel!!!!!!

nwa man

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:44 pm

dupe.... you can go ahead and delete this one

[Edited 2004-03-10 09:46:44]
Create your own luck.

nwa man

Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:45 pm

Why go Ivy League when you have Jesuits!

Boston College
Georgetown
Fordham
Loyola Maryland
Loyola Chicago
St. Joes

and of course the best: Canisius!

It hurts to see that you left Marquette off that list... it really does...

...fine, maybe not. But St. Joe's over Marquette? Only in basketball.

Back on topic- I liked Cornell... wish I would have gotten in, but that's another story. Good luck to Us330, Rjpieces, and everyone else waiting for their thick letters. I'm sure y'all will do just fine.

N-Dub

Create your own luck.

kbuf737

Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:41 am

I apologize NWA man. Living on the east coast I mentioned these ones. Marquette is an excellent school along with Gonzaga.

Now about the Ivy League:

1.Yale - seems to be the place to go if you want to be President of the US
2.Harvard - good place to go if you want to be VP of the US
3.Princeton - lots of prestige and highly respected institution
4.Columbia - NYC excellent
5.Penn - amazing boathouse in the heart of Boathouse Row
6.Dartmouth - a great place for people who like scenery
7.Brown - an all around excellent school
8.Cornell - another good one for scenery, and for research and academics it is fantastic

The tower? Rapunzel!!!!!!

sfointern

Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:41 am

I think the Core Curriculum at Columbia is genius. It just exposes you to the major texts that have been the foundation of Western society.

pacificjourney

Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:45 am

"I think the Core Curriculum at Columbia is genius. It just exposes you to the major texts that have been the foundation of Western society."

??????

Just like every other University in the world you mean ... you're too easily impressed I think.

commander_rabb

Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:53 am

Ivy league schools are an over-rated waste of money for an under-grad degree.

That's true in Japan regarding Japanese universities. It is not true regarding these Ivy League schools.

You are quite misinformed.

us330

Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:59 am

Pendrilsaint, like I said, I have nothing against Columbia, as it is a great school. It is just not a school for me. I like to have the freedom of choice, and it just seemed that I would be too tied down there. Pardon the cliche, but it is whatever floats your boat, and since I wouldn't be an English Literature major at any place that I went, the Western Canon is no big deal to me. I don't mind reading the works of Socrates, Virgil, and Homer, I just would much rather do it on my own time and for fun, not graded on it.
I disagree with your statement that "sometimes undergrads just don't kow best at what it is they need to know." Even if that it is the case, it is the undergrad's life, so let the student take responsibility for it. He/she is no longer living under Mom and Dad's watch anymore, so they should get used to having control over their life.
Can anyone take pass/fail classes. Sure. Won't argue with you on that one, but Brown offers them for a different reason. It gives you the option of extending yourself to a discipline you're not as strong in, and provides a safety net just so you are not pressured. Does pass/fail make it easier? Yes. But my assumption is that if you are at one of the Ivies, you are not doing something just because it is easy. You are doing something just to experiment, and the pass/fail option allows you to experiment without stressing out.

FoxBravo

Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:05 am

Us330, your above list seems like it was based solely on the classic "How many _______ students does it take to change a light bulb?" jokes. Since it sounds like you're in the middle of the college application process, let me suggest that you try to keep an open mind and look past the sweeping generalizations. While it's good that you have developed your own personal preferences, it looks suspiciously like a lot of those are based entirely on stereotypes rather than facts and firsthand experience. Attending Harvard because "its [sic] Harvard for gosh sakes," but avoiding other schools because you're afraid of "snob types" might not necessarily be a sound decision. Believe me, every single one of these schools has its share of snobs, liberals, conservatives, suicides, and parties, and at any of them you can choose to "work your ass off" or enjoy your "quality of life." If you get out there and talk to people, visit the campuses, read the course listings, etc., I think you'll find that the differences between them are a lot more subtle than you might think. Just my 2 cents, having been there and done that. Anyway, good luck.

redraider

Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:15 am

You forgot the "Harvard of the South Plains": Texas Tech.
My wife can't wrestle, but you should see her box.

pacificjourney

Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:05 am

No Comm. Rabb it is you that is quite misinformed, or rather snowed.

Rightly or wrongly whatever Uni. you attend in Japan stays with you for life. Expensive schools in the US would certainly lke you to believe that this is true but it just isn't. 2 years after you graduate no one cares where you went if you happen to be a lazy waste of skin and all the "contacts" you made in the Ivy league won't help you.

They are a waste of money - especially US-style required courses - which I suggest anyone short of funds take at their nearest Community College (and then transfer to a university) instead as they are exactly the same but alot cheaper.

Post-graduate or professional degrees are a different story but relative quality then depends solely on the desired departments reputation rather than the school as a whole.

Having attended 3 different schools and taught at another 3 in 5 different countries I flatter myself that I know what I'm talking about.

us330

Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:15 am

FoxBravo, while my posts make me seem like I don't know much about the situation, the reality is that I am pretty well-informed. I just didn't want to take up twenty lines for each of them. If my parents disagreed with me, then they would have made me apply to the schools that I crossed off my list. Let my defend my point further when I say that my decision and opinion on the schools in question was made after at least talking to my college counselor at school as well as my parents.
I visited Dartmouth, and found it way too rural for my liking. Again, my liking, not somebody elses. I told my parents how I felt, and they both said that if I didn't like Dartmouth because of its rural location, then I shouldn't waste my time visiting/applying to Cornell, because I wouldn't like it either.
I unofficially visited Princeton, as I did not take the tour or go to an info session, mainly because I knew that I had next to no chance at getting in, from looking at patterns as to who they have accepted and rejected from my high school. I just had no desire.
I already mentioned before why I disliked Columbia, and that was its core curriculum. Once I saw that, I was entirely turned off by the school, regardless of the students.

Harvard, Yale, Penn, and Brown share the first, and main, characteristic that I used to cut schools off of my list: They all are medium sized schools that are physically urban or suburban oases, with a definite campus to them. If you follow this criteria, it thus comes as no surprise as to the eight other schools I applied to: Stanford, Southern Cal., Emory, Wash U. STL, NWestern, and Georgetown. The only exceptions to that main criteria were Claremont McKenna and Pomona, which are smaller schools, but are actually larger due to the Claremont College Consortium.
When I talk about the "people" at certain schools, most of the time I am referring to graduates from my high school that are students there.
For example, the kids who wind up at Harvard, Yale, and Penn are all fairly similar types, while the ones at Brown tend to be more into the arts.
I assure that I have this entire process under control, even though it may seem like it, and I have already decided to wait until the last possible day to make my final decision as to where I will go (after I am rejected from some places, of course), so as I can make as best informed decision as possible.

FoxBravo

Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:48 am

Ok, sounds like you've done your homework. I wasn't trying to change your mind, just cautioning you to avoid certain easy stereotypes. I'm more familiar with some of the schools than others, but I can tell you from personal experience that there's a lot more to Princeton than martini-swilling preppies, and a lot more to Columbia than "hardcore, upper east side liberals" (not sure where you even got that idea...from my experience, most Upper East Siders tend to leave NY for college). But it sounds like you're well aware of that. Anyway, as I said, good luck...it can be a stressful process, but in the end I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you end up.

VSlover

Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:10 am

my experience: i was dead set on going to yale, applied, visited, thats the only place i wanted to go. i visited all the schools (ivy i mean), and didnt find yale that great to be at, but it was YALE. dartmouth was extremely beautiful, and small.

my mother literally forced me to apply to dartmouth, because her personal assistant had gone there, and wouldnt shut up about it. so i did. was deferred from yale early decision, then visited dartmouth twice after applying and eventually got into every school to which i applied (except university of n.c.-haha) and by that point, i knew i was meant for dartmouth. the size, the rural atmosphere, and the PEOPLE were the determining factor.

point being--even if things do not go in your favor, it all works out in the end. i would not have traded my college experience at dartmouth for anything else in the world, and it was all because i had been deferred from the one place i was determined to attend.

also, a secondary point being, i guess its true that your mother knows best. haha.

nwa man

Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:44 am

Us330- Nice list - but did you apply to any safeties? RD at any of those schools is damn near impossible (What's the 'easiest' one to get into? USC?) unless you have absolutely amazing stats.

At any rate... good luck. It's a trying, subjective process but odds are that you'll be satisfied whereever you end up. There's not a poor school on the list.

And Pacificjourney- spot on. Great advice.

N-Dub

Create your own luck.

FoxBravo

Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:21 am

VSLover, that's good advice.

commander_rabb

Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:51 pm

Your original quote which I am sure you still stand by was " Ivy league schools are an over-rated waste of money for an under-grad degree."

That's your opinion and nothing more. Guess you don't run in the right circles to realize differently.

us330

Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:59 pm

Yeah, USC and Claremont McKenna are/were my safeties. I am already in to USC, and I was named a finalist for some scholarship there, and was elgible to apply for their Thematic Option program. They paid for half of my plane ticket to go out there and interview as well as stay overnight, and their plan worked. I absolutely loved it out there, and it has risen in my rankings. If I get the scholarship and get into TO, then it easily lands in my top four, if not higher.
Normally I get stressed out and nervous about the littlest of things, so it has been fairly surprising that I have little or no anxiety as to the upcoming acceptances and rejections. I put it bluntly to my parents that if I could not see myself enjoying my four years at a college, I would not apply there.
Although it may not seem like it, I honestly hate it when people make a big deal of my academic record, and do not like to brag about it. Alot of that is due to the fact that I attend one of the top private prep schools in Texas, so in my school, no matter how good you have done on a test or how much recognition you received from your work in an extra-curricular activity, there will always be someone who has bested you.

pacificjourney

Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:27 pm

Obviously it's my opinion Comm. Rab but as I already stated an educated and informed one I think.

"Guess you don't run in the right circles to realize differently"

Not quite sure what that means but I think you want to compare CV's and penis size ????

I found that when I became a man I no longer needed 'circles' to justify myself anyway.