learpilot

Why I Can't Stand Football

Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:03 am

Aside from it being as boring as soccer.

Ty Law:

"I can't do a thing about it but express my displeasure about playing for this organization," Law told the Globe. "I'll go to training camp. I've got bonuses for going to training camp. I'm just saying it won't be a comfortable working atmosphere. It's not a reason to hold out. I get $1 million just to show up. Who wouldn't show up for $1 million? The money ain't the thing, because I have that. Then again, I'm not going to sit here and say I don't want $7 million, either. That's stupid. Hell, we all gotta eat.

Nice ego, asswipe.

Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

RE: Why I Can't Stand Football

Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:55 pm

That is pretty much the way I feel about football AND basketball. Lets get some sports on TV that require some skill...

Baseball season can't start soon enough and we don't get nearly enough hockey or REAL auto racing on US tv..

FYI NASCAR does not constitute real racing.

Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:28 pm

So, why isn't NASCAR "real" racing? I mean, I think F1 is cool too, but what's with the snobby attitude?

I'll give you a free pass if you are talking about NHRA Top Fuel when you say "real," but otherwise, you'll have to justify your elitism.

Personally, I'm counting that days until college football starts again. And right now, in the midst of NASCAR and with March Madness right at the doorstep, I'm in sports-watching heaven.

'Speed

Shamrock1Heavy

Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:57 pm

I like F1 for one more reason than nascar...its called right turns

-D
when in hell, we'll do shots at the bar

MITaero

Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:01 pm

>I like F1 for one more reason than nascar...its called right turns

lol

Hockey is always overlooked in the US.. it's such a great sport, I wish more people would give it a chance.

Then again, being from Detroit, I am biased.

aa61hvy

Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:09 pm

Shamrock just took out millions of Nascar fans with a KO...
Go big or go home

QIguy24

Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:16 pm

Haha!!!

Great one Shamrock  Big thumbs up

But Nascar is the coolest! Just listening to all the horsepowers is great! But It still doesn't sound as good as an aicraft taking off.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

greaser

Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:26 pm

Please, football and basketball req. No skill?? Let's see how many 3 pointers you can get?! Prob. Less in your life than Kobe or Shaq can do in a day.
How many touchdowns have you scored against Dallas?! ( I hear 0) certainly more skilled required than scoring in soccer.
To me, F1 is the exact same except that NASCAR is just a ford with boosters. (hehe)
I'm sure you guys find it fun to see those F1 teams fly around the track endlessly, and then after watching it for years you notice that unlike any other sport M.schumacher seems to win every race since I was born and there have been very,very,very,very,very few team changes, In fact, I can only name one, Toyota.
The fact IS, NOTHING BEATS WRC (World rally Championships).
That's one championship I hope never ends.
Now you're really flying

TYSGoVols

Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:34 pm

Actually Shamrock

Sears Point
Sonoma Cali.

They used to race in Japan, I wished they still did.

I truely can't watch F1 or Indy, if the vehicles were actually cars I might give them more of my time.

I can't wait till College Football starts. Man I hope we get a good QB this year and if Randy Sanders is still running our offense I am rooting for Vandy I swear. My User name tells you who my team is. Read my sig and you will know. If not let me spell it out for you in Pride of the Southland style, V-O-L-S

<>< Garen

P.S. If someone could tell me how to get pics and logos on my profile I would greatly appreciate it.
Rocky Top You'll Always be home sweet home to me, Good ole' Rocky Top WOOOOO

cba

Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:44 pm

This is why I watch mainly college sports. The NFL/NBA are not what they were 5 years ago.

MITaero

Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:34 pm

>How many touchdowns have you scored against Dallas?! ( I hear 0) certainly more skilled required than scoring in soccer.

are you serious?  Smile

I mean, enough mass and velocity, and you can plow your way in just fine. If you're tall and fast enough and have the hands, you can catch.

I concede that Barry Sanders type players have great skills.

An-225

Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:09 pm

I hate the fact that Hockey always gets overlooked, and I dread the moment when Baseball season starts...

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

MITaero

Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:34 pm

Totally agree An-225. Except with your FCC quote. And that it looks like you're an Avalanche fan  Big grin

Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:27 pm

"I like F1 for one more reason than nascar...its called right turns."

Yeah, good one. You really told us NASCAR fans. Your ability to deliver a textual scalding knows no bounds.

TYS,

You put in this code: (img src="http://www.whatever.jpg") except with <'s and >'s instead of ()'s. For example, this picture...

...would be (img src="http://www.autoreview.ru/new_site/year2003/n06/sport/800/nascar.jpg")

(Except with the <'s instead of parenthesis.)

Oh, and for some additional practice...

Enjoy, F1 fans. Go #17!!

'Speed

wing

Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:40 am

I was only a F1 fan until I watch Daytona 500 at Daytona Int Speedway.After I heard the thundering noise of cars running few meters infront of you I fell in love with this race.I recomend you should at least see foryourselves once youll see what I mean.Actually to answer Shamrockheavy's very clever reply which states why Nascar is boring, I should say M.Schumacher is the reason why "F1 is boring.The guy is unstoppable and every race goes like Ferrari and all other cars themselves.Its not exciting at all.But in Nascar there is always fun until the last lap.But I like them both anyway.
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

TYSGoVols

Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:48 am

Ya'll should try dirt track in teh south. Bull's Gap Tennessee the fastest dirt half mile. Ah dirt track racing is so awesome. I like the asphault too. I am a huge NASCAR fan but, dirt adds so much to it.
<>< Garen

Thanks Speed I am going to have to try that.

Tom in NO

Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:48 am

Ty Law says:"The money ain't the thing, because I have that."

Whenever an athlete says it's not about the money, it's ALL about the money. Especially in light of Patrick Ewing's classic blast, "we might make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money".

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

learpilot

Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:55 am

sigh

My sports thread has degenerated to a discussion of a "sport" (more like an activity) that consists of people sitting on their asses driving a car.  Sad

And I'm with you, An-225. It's a shame hockey's always getting overlooked, and the only publicity it gets is when something happens like the Bertuzzi incident.

I think NHL athletes are the most down-to-earth athletes in pro sports. There are a few exceptions...cough Eric Lindross cough..., though.

TYSGoVols

Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:03 am

I have to disagree. i say NASCAR drivers are very down to earth. With a fe exceptions, Tony Stewart, Sterling MArlin, and Rusty Wallace. The rest of them are pretty allright fellas. It must be that southern hospitality we southerners get accused of having all the time. Allthough I admit I am biased here I don't have a working knowledge of hockey players so I can't really make a totalitarian claim so maybe they are but, in my experiences NASCAR has grat guys, like Todd Bodine. He may not be a great racer but, he was a great guy when I met him.

<>< Garen

Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:10 am

I have to also disagree with the implication that auto racing is not a sport. I look at it like golf. No one performs feats of great physical magnitude on the golf course. However, golf is very demanding mentally, and requires a sound strategy to win. Auto racing is the same way.

'Speed

P.S. Try telling the pit crews that all auto racing is about is "sitting on their asses."

Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:13 am

Real racing is F1 and WRC.. for the reasons of: right turns and not misrepresenting how much the cars have in common with the off the shelf model of the same name.

football and basketball still suck the sweat off a dead dogs nuts.

TYSGoVols

Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:42 am

Again Sears Point and Sonoma Cali NASCAR road courses

<>< Garen

Usairwys757

Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:53 am

Aside from it being as boring as soccer.

I quit reading what you had to say after that statement right there, which by the way was your first. How can you say football is as boring as soccer? It's a damn shame.
Inactive.....

Q330

Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:58 am

How many touchdowns have you scored against Dallas?! ( I hear 0) certainly more skilled required than scoring in soccer.

I don't believe someone could say this. In my mind, football is a game of strength and soccer is a game of skill (and stamina). They are very different, but you should watch some top european soccer matches and see the skill that some of the players really have.

-Q
Long live the A330!

learpilot

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:43 pm

How can you say football is as boring as soccer?

Let me put it this way. If the NFL were to charge you for watching the game at home on tv, they would have to charge you for watching four games. After all, that is what you get. Watch the guy run 10 feet, fall down, and then watch it again from three different angles. EVERY PLAY! zzzzzzzzz. It could be the most inconsequential play - like the QB bobbling the snap and taking a knee. They'll still show it from three different angles and analyze the crap out of it.

BORRRRRRINGGGGGG!

There's almost more action in a soccer game.

BN747

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:55 pm

football and basketball still suck the sweat off a dead dogs nuts.

I'd pay some seriously good money to see you run back a kick-off return....just once (no running outta bounds either)! Your heart beats at about 95-110 times a minute at the moment...in the above situation....it pop out of your throat when you see 11 guys the size of Michael Strahan coming at you in a full blitz! If you get the chance...tell them they suck dog nuts....best do before the hit...because you won't be able to speak adterwards..probably permanently!

Football is the ultimate athletic event. That's why the franchisefees are a half billion plus. There's a reason it's a america's premier sport!

Basketball does suck..but hey like NASCAR, a lot of people like it...whattaya gonna do? You can always watch the Home and Garden Channel! Not!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

jcs17

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:10 pm

I absolutely hate NASCAR. I can't see what people see in it. Nothing, and I mean nothing (including soccer), is more boring than sitting in front of the TV and watching cars go around in a circle. All the cars are basically the same, all the drivers are a bunch of hillbillies. It takes no athletic talent to drive NASCAR, sorry. I don't think that Bubba Bodine has to work on his endurance during the offseason by pulling tires across a football field, or doing windsprints on the court. The most these guys have to do is trying to improve the range on their dip spits.

Football is okay, its fun to play, decent to watch.

Basketball sucks, especially the NBA. Talk about egomaniacs--these guys put most rappers and pop stars to shame.

The NHL is still the best professional sport out there today. Played by guys who don't carry around egos the size of Ontario, a sport where you can't have success without hard work, and a sport that tests true endurance and toughness. I can't think of a better sport than hockey.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

vafi88

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:21 pm

Jcs17 - what a memorable moment for me to FULLY agree with your post.

That was beautiful...

I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

greaser

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:25 pm

Ermm, i think your're saying that only the top clubs like FC porto, AC Milan...players have skill.
Yes, soccer (like every other sport) requires some form of skill and stamina, but the fact is that it is just boing to watch (except Man U vs Arsenal) or (Real vs. AC).
Jeez, even rugby is more fun to watch! Go Wallabies!
Now you're really flying

TYSGoVols

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:34 pm

You try wrestling a 2,000 pound car at over 190 mph while not hitting the guy two inches in front of you. By the way most of the drivers have a more stringent work out schedule than most if not all of us on this forum. They do stay in top physical condition. I deeply regret that you see them as hillbillies, that is such a stereotype and I truely wish that people with small minds would get past it.

<>< Garen

jcs17

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:28 pm

You try wrestling a 2,000 pound car at over 190 mph while not hitting the guy two inches in front of you.

Yeah, people do that every morning at 80mph, its called rush hour. And its a hell of a lot more dangerous because the other people out there aren't "professionals."

By the way most of the drivers have a more stringent work out schedule than most if not all of us on this forum. They do stay in top physical condition

Uh huh. Yeah right. They might "stay in shape," but that doesn't mean that their levels of conditioning are even remotely close an athlete of any other professional sport.

America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

TYSGoVols

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:34 pm

Wrestling it at 80 versus 180 yeah that sounds about the same to me. You try doing Mark Martins work out. He does weights running cardio he is one of the most fit men in pro sports.

<>< Garen

Shamrock1Heavy

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:49 pm

Ok, it was a joke...ha

I dont watch car racing, I watch soccer, rubgy and gaelic games.

All sports require skill. Some have diffrent aspects thats all.

To quote Matt Damon playing the angel of death, Loki, in Dogma
"Mass genocide is the most physically exhausting activity one can endure in...next to soccer"

-D
when in hell, we'll do shots at the bar

Boeing757/767

Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:58 am

Jcs:

Bravo! My sentiments exactly. Hockey rules. NASCAR ... is not a sport.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

DeltaRules

Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:52 am

TYS- Don't forget Watkins Glen! As for Saturday Night Short Trackin'....that's pretty good racing too.

NASCAR bashers...I'll reitterate what I said in another thread: These guys don't just jump into the cars & drive around for 500 miles in the A/C with the radio cranked up. You've got to at least give them credit for frying their asses off during the summer (wearing a firesuit, sweater, etc.) with pretty much only an airhose & water bottle to keep them cool. They're also strapped into a 700hp car & are risking their lives, i.e. Dale Earnhardt, Kenny Irwin, Adam Petty (19 yrs old when he was killed), Neil Bonnett, etc.

It's no F1- those guys & their cars are good (until team orders come into play & Schumi picks up a win at the expense of his teammate), as are cars from CART (seemingly doomed) & the IRL (which is my second favorite racing series), but whatever NASCAR's doing, it's drawing crowds (including me) & making them the second largest spectator sport in the US behind the NFL.

As for lack of right turns? While they don't necessarily need them, I'd love to see Nextel Cup run Mid-Ohio, Road America, or Laguna Seca...I'd be at the Mid-Ohio race.

I'll admit, the only races that I sit through the entirety of are Talladega, Daytona, Bristol, Richmond, and the Winston All-star race- it's entertaining, and on the same note, it can get boring as hell (and does.)

Go #24- Jeff Gordon forever!
DeltaRules
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

DeltaRules

Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:54 am

My sports thread has degenerated to a discussion of a "sport" (more like an activity) that consists of people sitting on their asses driving a car.

It was inevitable, Learpilot, wasn't it?  Big grin
DeltaRules
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

flight152

Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:01 am

are risking their lives, i.e. Dale Earnhardt, Kenny Irwin, Adam Petty (19 yrs old when he was killed), Neil Bonnett, etc.

And other (real) athletes don't risk their lives?

You've got to at least give them credit for frying their asses off during the summer

They don't deserve any more credit then athletes running around with equipment on in the summer.

TYSGoVols

Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:04 am

I actually confused Sonoma with Watkins Glen. This from the self proclaimed NASCAR historia. One of them was canceled though I believe it was Sears point in Cali. because Sonoma was too close by. The tracks in Japan I thought were road courses.

<>< Garen

fly727

Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:05 am

JCS has it right.

Here in Latin America we have to live with an exaggerated, ridiculous and tacky passion for SOCCER. As the name implies, that sport sucks! Let the masses have something to be entertained with...

RM  Smile
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

TYSGoVols

Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:24 am

Inside sports equipment versus inside a car producing heat while sitting on top of asphault that produces heat whith your body inside an enclosed space producing heat. Hmmmmmmmm is it any wonder I hear more about dehydration for stock car drivers than NFL players. You people are failing to see an athlete is an athlete regardless of sport. Each sport has its own limitations and strengths harder for me to see some than others as it is harder for you to recognize the hardships for some sports over others.

<>< Garen

Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:45 am

Well, I would not go so far as to call drivers "athletes," however, auto racing is definitely a sport.

'Speed

vafi88

Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:55 am

Well, I would not go so far as to call drivers "athletes," however, auto racing is definitely a sport.

Oxymoron anybody???

I drive a car, big deal. Those turns are wide, plus, the guys don't really do much work other than press on the medal (while sitting, mind you) and steering a wheel.

I guess big rig driving is a sport too, huh?

Illini_152

Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:00 pm

Yeah, people do that every morning at 80mph, its called rush hour. And its a hell of a lot more dangerous because the other people out there aren't "professionals."

Of course, in the summer when it's 95F outside, you've got your radio going, the AC on, and able to just glide along. As opposed to on a track where the air temp might be 125F, wearing a full nomex firesuit, inside a car with no sound insulation, or heat insulation from the 800hp small block upfront. Car temps can reach up to 140+F. Oh, and forget the power steering, automatic tranny, and nice shocks. It has been described as riding a vibrating stationary bike for 3+ hours while wearing a plastic suit holding two 30lb dumbbells at arms length, while someone beats on your helmet with a ballpeen hammer.

And, while today stock cars really aren't all that stock, other than the aluminum shell, at one time they were bone stock, as in race on Sunday, drive it home on monday. As recently as 20 years ago they were still BASED on stock platforms.

I used to LOVE CART, mainly because they ran all differant venues; temp. street courses (Long Beach, Detroit, ect.), dedicated road courses (Mid-Ohio, Laguna Seca, ect.), short tracks (Milwaukee Mile, Nazerath, PA) and superspeedways (Michigan, Indy) Now the IRL is trying to be NASCAR with openwheel cars.

FWIW though, I'd much rather watch Football or Baseball. While others complain that they're "boring" and "slow" they offer something that other more fast-paced sports lack. Strategy.

Football you run your play; afterwards you analyze how it worked out, what did the defense do? How can we adapt? What's their weakness? Can we outguess them? It is a game of chess played with 300lb pawns.

Baseball is another; the classic matchup pitcher v batter. Each trying to outplay the other. The catcher trying to get inside the batter's head, what's he looking for? What's his weakness.

The suspense AND relaxation is what its about. My generation just doesn't seem to have the attention span for these subtlies. It seems nobody has PATIENCE anymore. Nothing is better than a nice slow summer day relaxing at the ballpark with a tall cold one.

--
Mike
Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:06 pm

"I drive a car, big deal. Those turns are wide, plus, the guys don't really do much work other than press on the medal (while sitting, mind you) and steering a wheel."

Even if the drivers didn't "do much work," you still have to factor in the actions of the pit crew, spotters, crew chief, etc. It takes an entire team to win a race (go Killer Bees!)

And saying that drivers don't do much work is like saying that bobsled teams don't do much work. I mean, all they do is ride some stupid sled down a hill, right?

It's not like these guys are just "cruisin' down the highway" for 500 miles. If you are going 200 MPH in anything, you darn well better be on your game. Nevermind all the strategizing.

"Oxymoron anybody?"

What about bowling? It's a sport, but the bowlers aren't athletes?

'Speed

[Edited 2004-03-17 04:08:11]

A330Fan1

Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:09 pm

Don't like it too much because the game stops every 5 seconds!!! means you can't get into the GAME part really, I think.

-A330Fan1

Q330

Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:15 pm

That's a good point, A330fan1, and one of the reasons I like soccer. 45 minutes of virtually nonstop play, a halftime break, and then 45 more minutes. If you're watching on TV, the only commercials you have to bother with are at halftime.

Of course, that's probably one of the big reasons why pro soccer hasn't caught on in America.

-Q
Long live the A330!

vafi88

Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:18 pm

"""""Oxymoron anybody?"

What about bowling? It's a sport, but the bowlers aren't athletes?""""

Did I say anything about bowling?? Don't change the subject.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:24 pm

"Did I say anything about bowling?? Don't change the subject."

Bowlers are not athletes, yet they participate in a sport called bowling. Drivers are not athletes, yet they participate in a sport called auto racing. Ergo, no oxymoron or subject change is present.

'Speed

vafi88

Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:47 pm

The point I was trying to make, is that:

If you aren't an athlete, then you're not playing a sport.

If you ARE an athlete, you're playing the sport.

If you aren't an athlete means you're not playing a sport.

Which is why Nascar isn't a sport. And Neither is bowling.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:04 pm

Fine. Whatever. NASCAR isn't a sport.

'Speed