Carter
Lydon Johnson
Nixon
Grant
Andrew Johnson
Garfield
Buchanan

What is your list??

Also what is the most over and underrated presidents??

Earned PPL June 26, 2007

ConcordeBoy

RE: Best And Worst US Presidents

Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:35 am

In my living/adequately-studied history:

BEST:
Washington
Lincoln
Jefferson
Reagan
Bush 43

WORST:
Clinton
A. Johnson
Carter
L. Johnson
H. Hoover
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Superfly

Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:45 am

In my living/adequately-studied history:

Best:
Kennedy
FDR
Lincoln
Truman
Clinton
Teddy Roosevelt

Worst:
George W Bush
Reagan
Hoover

Underrated President has to be Jimmy Carter. He is my favorite President.
Ronald Reagan is the most over rated.
Bring back the Concorde

trijetfan1

Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:53 am

Carter was horrible, he was a great man but just not a president
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

jessman

Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:55 am

The poor Johnson's never had a chance. Nobody voted them into office, so they had to deal with that right off the bat. Their former's were just assasinated, so nobody could say anything bad about the recently deceased (Who obviously angered someone enough to kill them).

I would actually love to see what history would have said about Lincoln and Kennedy had they not been killed in office. Lincoln would most probably have still been remembered for the civil war, but Kennedy? He really wasn't that popular when he was alive. He almost lost to Nixon for goodness sake.

My best
Washington
Lincoln
Reagan

My Worst
Hoover
Nixon

Underrated
A. Johnson. The whole impeachment thing impresses me. Congress was really out of line, and he had the guts to smack them back in.
Overrated
W. Clinton "We are the middle children of history, no great war, no great depression" I don't think he did anything of any great importance. He took no great risks, recieved no great reward.

L.1011

Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:56 am

BEST:

Washington
Lincoln
Reagan
Kennedy
Eisenhower
Truman
Roosevelt
the other Roosevelt

WORST:
Clinton
Carter
Nixon
Ford
Johnson (both)

trijetfan1

Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:57 am

L-1011- what did Ford do?
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

vafi88

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:16 am

Best:
FDR
Lincoln
Washington

Worst:
Bush
Bush
Nixon
Tyler - the all time worst because he couldn't get anything done due to lack of party.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

Superfly

Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:06 pm

L.1011:
I think you just hate the 60s & 70s.  Laugh out loud

Jessman:
(Who obviously angered someone enough to kill them).

Now what was that statement all about?
You sound as if it's almost justified.
Bring back the Concorde

Alpha 1

Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:28 pm

Best:

-Washington
-Lincoln
-FDR
-Teddy Roosevelt
-Ike
-Truman

Worst
-Nixon
-Dubya
-Carter
-Hoover
-Grant

OK
-Reagan
-Clinton

aa61hvy

Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:37 pm

I think some people need to go back and re-read some history books and redo this.. Then again it is your opinion
Go big or go home

Alpha 1

Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:45 pm

Yeah, AA61hvy, I think your right. I'll take Reagan out of the "OK" column.  Wink/being sarcastic

Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:52 pm

ConcordeBoy wrote:

BEST:
Bush 43

Confused Where is the punchline? Did you forget a "Signed by" line?

Oh, I see! This is the joke!  Big grin

IMissPiedmont

Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:00 pm

Some include JFK in the best list. Besides the Bay of Pigs and Viet Nam, what did he accompish?

My grandparents will turn in their graves if they see this, but I'll rank Nixon as one of the best presidents ever. Before the summer of 1972 that is.

I can't quite believe I just wrote that, it must be early onset of dementia. But I meant it.

[Edited 2004-03-15 05:16:09]
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

flight152

Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:11 pm

Some include JFK in the best list. Besides the Bay of Pihs and Viet Nam, what did he accompish?

Averting war during the cuban missile crisis isn't worth anything?

IMissPiedmont

Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:21 pm

I truly hate to say it but I will. The US military prevented that war from happening. The ass in the chair of the oval office (not meaning Kennedy) was almost irrelevant.

The Soviet Union in 1962 was in no way capable of any serious attack upon the United States. Forget the propaganda of the time.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

flight152

Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:39 pm

The ass in the chair of the oval office (not meaning Kennedy) was almost irrelevant.

I do beleive he had other choices other then a blockade. As commander in chief, it was his choice.

If it was the militarys choice, General Curtiss LeMay for example wanted airstrikes which could have resulted in not such a good ending.

Superfly

Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:32 pm

IMissPiedmont:
The Soviet Union in 1962 was in no way capable of any serious attack upon the United States

Hindsight is 20/20.

Also, if the USSR wasn't capable of serious attack in 1962, what changed by the 1980s to justify the arms race under Reagan?
Bring back the Concorde

jessman

Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:57 pm

Superfly; that's the Genius of Regan. European Political Scientists had already predicted the demise of the Soviet Union, and Regan *gasp* believed them. Starting the Arms race forced the Soviet Union to focus all production to making weapons, diverting valuable rescources from things like feeding their population. The USA had the economy do do it; a free market economy. The
Soviet Union did not. It did not take many years of said arms race to bankrupt the Soviet Union. Within four years of Regan leaving office the Soviet Union fell. Cold War OVER.

By the way, I was not condoning in any way any assasination of any US president. Just stating that they were popular enough to get themselves killed, so maybe the people at the time didn't think they were all that.

Superfly

Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:04 pm

Jessman:
OK, so my question went over your head.
If the the USSR was not a threat to begin with, what's the point in having an arms race to begin with? It's not like life in the C.I.S. is any better today.

Just stating that they were popular enough to get themselves killed

That's non-sense. An assasin could careless what the President's approval rating is. The man who shot Reagan didn't even do for political reasons.
Bring back the Concorde

greaser

Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:31 pm

without a doubt:
FDR
Reagan
Lincoln
Washington
JFK
(how can anyone forget him)
Get them outta here:
NIXON
Johnsons
and who's that guy who got killed 30days after presidency?
Now you're really flying

tbar220

Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:36 pm

Greaser,

That would be William Henry Harrison. He gave his inaugural speech in a big wind and rain storm, caught pneumonia, and died 30 days later.
NO URLS in signature

cba

Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:43 pm

"Some include JFK in the best list. Besides the Bay of Pigs and Viet Nam, what did he accompish?"

Let's see, Cuban Missile crisis, giving the Space Program a much needed boost. Do you think NASA would have got to the moon by '69 if Kennedy hadn't made it a goal?

Best:
-Both Roosevelts
-Lincoln
-Kennedy

Worst:
-Hoover
-Reagan
-Dubya

BN747

Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:52 pm

BEST

Kennedy
Carter
Adams (both)
Lincoln
Bubba Bill
F. Roosevelt

WORST
Dubya
LBJ
Franklin Pierce
Andrew Johnson
Reagan -a tie - Nixon
Reagan -2nd Term
More Bush
Andrew Jackson

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

QIguy24

Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:56 pm

Best:

Lincoln
Clinton
Kennedy

Worst:
Nixon
Bush 1 and 2

I did respect Bush until he forgot Denmark in his thank you for your help speak to his allies. I was furious!
He mentioned every country except Denmark. we have had 2 dead Danish soldiers in Iraq and 2 in Afghanistan after we helped Bush! And we didn't even get so much as a thank you from him yet.

go canada!

Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:59 pm

Best
JFK(as hes family)
Lincoln
FDR(jn fact how can you not have FDR on the list of your best presidents)
Washington
Regan

Worst
Nixon
Carter(How on earth carter is underatted is beyond me, the man allowed everyoen to run roughshod over him)

Who was the president who had the big block of cheese in the lobby?
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

globalexpress

Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:38 pm

Is this an American-only thread?  Smile

Anyway..

Best:
Washington
FDR
Lincoln

Worst:
Bush
Bush
Nixon

Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:12 pm

I hope this "traitor" may still give his opinion.
xxx
I would name Franklin D. Roosevelt as top of list.
He dealt with two major problems, the economy of the 1930s, and WW2...
His performance was outstanding. He deserves top spot in history.
xxx
Abraham Lincoln is a little bit too glorified, particularly in schools...
Yes, he ended slavery. But did he really...? I know it was his intention.
But it was not HIS actions only that ended slavery. Others helped.
xxx
Jimmy Carter, I respect a lot as a man and human being. He meant well.
Was not that good a politician, but his honesty is always respected.
Too honest to be a politician. I was a Republican, but I liked him.
xxx
Ronald Reagan had charisma.
He was a great president for the average American.
By shaking hands with Gorbachev, gave the world a few years of respite.
xxx
I shall not state my list of worst ones...
I have to deal with my Argentina presidents now, quite a list in the recent years.
xxx
Happy contrails  Smile
(s) Skipper

CPDC10-30

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:20 pm

Jimmy Carter was probably the best president since FDR - but he wasn't really suited to be an American president unfortunatley - too intellectual. But in my opinion he brought a lot of credibility to the White House that has been sorely lacking since.

Otherwise, my other vote has to go to William McKinley, just because he's a relative even though he was a Republican  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Alpha 1

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:27 pm

Jimmy Carter was NOT a good president, in any way, shape or form. He became too beholden to the Iran Hostange Crisis, and he let that consume him. He didn't have an answer to the economic slump that had hit during his incumbency; he was far too weak on most international situations.

His one accomplishment-and it was a major one-was peace between Egypt and Israel, and that peace still stands, tenuously sometimes, even today.

He was more suited as a diplomat, not as president.

cfalk

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:09 am

Here is the score so far (up to Reply #29):

The Top 5 for Best President (Number of votes):

Lincoln (13)
Roosevelt F.D. (11)
Washington (9)
Kennedy (8)
Reagan (7)

And the Top 5 for Worst President :
Nixon (10)
Bush G.W. (7)
Hoover (6)
Carter (5)
Both Johnsons, tied (5)
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

BN747

Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:51 am

Jimmy Carter was NOT a good president, in any way, shape or form. He became too beholden to the Iran Hostange Crisis, and he let that consume him. He didn't have an answer to the economic slump that had hit during his incumbency; he was far too weak on most international situations.

His one accomplishment-and it was a major one-was peace between Egypt and Israel, and that peace still stands, tenuously sometimes, even today.

He was more suited as a diplomat, not as president.

This is obviously from someone who had no clue who Jimmy Carter was or what he accopmplished. First of all the Menachem Begin-Sadat Peace deal is still TODAY the thread that keeps Isreal from assailed by all arab nations in the region. As someone mentioned above, he was too intelligent to be president...yes there are people born before their time. They possess prescience that they hope will transcend to others )obviously it didn't. The Iran Hostage Crisis..well let's see how stupid we were to fall for that one.. first of all, Walter Annenberg who owned ABC at the time (and it was his ranch where Ronald Reagan spent all of his vacation time). When the 'Hostage Crisis' occured, it was not a big issue until one of Annenberg's lieutenent's came up with the idea of 'let's remind the nation' every night that we're being held hostage...see the very 1st broadcast of Nightline on ABC and they said then..we'll be on air until the hostages are free. This totally pinned entire issue on Carter. Secondly, Because Carter was an Annapolis grad and nuclear physicist, he had a great working knowledge of energy and the military nuclear appartus. When the oil crisis hit..he knew it was bullshit (like today...a false means to gouge the public with superficial reasons and he fought back) by pushing the through the Windfall Profit Tax which took those profit dollars from the oil companies and gave it back to the people that were raped in the process.

Cyrus Vance was a excellent Secy of State, but with the hawkish military chiefs against this 'peoples' president' they intentionally used all the wrong military equipment possible to ensure the failure of an Iranian hostage rescue
and that really made Carter look bad. The came the October Surprise to seal the deal. Carter's only problem was he never brought into hamming before the cameras and tap dancing for the press...he no interest what so ever. He was a dead serious guy, no vacation and and no non-sense. As far as the economy, raising the minimum was his 1st priority (of course big business and small are gonna hammer away at this and fire people to cut cost...they're doing that right now..but it's now called 'Out-sourcing'...but the minimum wage ain't going anywhere!)

Pre-Carter..the nation was sick to it's stomach with politics the lies and bullshit. A Vice Prez had resigned after being busted for tax fraud and a whole host of violations. Then Nixon was up to his ass with lies and more bs and had to resign. Ford comes in....and has no idea what's doing there in the Oval Office. Then what comes next. A really honest guy, a guy who would make promises and keep them (bucking all prebious political trends) the people loved this straight forward honest guy who blew off big business and media spin...and in the end...Corporate America and the media had had enough of being dissed by this soft easy going guy who wanted a universal peace and better human rights conditions for everyone and everywhere (totally pissed of Augusto Pinochet and his ilk). They trashed him..most of your parents brought into it lock stock and barrel and tossed the guy out. He never used his office to enrich himself or any cronies he went back to doing what liked best..helping people. If that's wrong...we as a people never..ever deserve such a guy again because when the chips are down...you'll all turn on him.

And if you find yourself asking 'why doesn't anyone really smart or good run for president..someone with sparkling credentials....' well there's your answer ..all those smart/good people know all too well what happned to Carter..and they want no part of it...and rightfully so.

BN747

[Edited 2004-03-15 20:56:55]
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

PPGMD

Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:01 am

One thing that I find funny is people ranking Bush 43 among their personal worse. IMO it takes at least a generation or more before one can rank a man.

Why do I say a generation? Because that's how long it takes before one can truly study what effects his policies had on the world without the partisan BS that often surrounds Presidents.
At worst, you screw up and die.

L-188

Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:54 am

Well, I have to agree that any list of this type is going to become more accurate the farther away you get from the presidency, means less personal attachment to the outcome.

But Anyway here goes.

Best:

Jefferson
Reagan
FDR
Kennedy
Lincoln

Worst:
Grant
Johnson
Carter
Clinton
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

wing

Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:55 am

Why do I say a generation? Because that's how long it takes before one can truly study what effects his policies had on the world without the partisan BS that often surrounds Presidents.

You don't have to wait for a generation to see how G.W.Bush made all US of America from the most sympatic nation to most hated around the world with his all neo American BS.Thats only one of the reasons that mada him the worst IMHO.
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

L-188

Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:57 am

Boy you are going to hate his second term then wing.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

dvk

Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:15 am

I'm amazed at all the posters who think Reagan was such a god. I admit I voted for him (twice, for God's sake), but I now regret voting for him the second time (I've never forgiven Carter for the '80 Olympic boycott--a hollow symbolic gesture that accomplished nothing other than to devastate a lot of athletes from the US and our allies). Reagan's administration sent the US to its worst level of indebtedness (until W, at least), and his charisma was the spark for the right wing fanaticism that has overtaken the country since. W is THE worst president in my lifetime, which extends back to the Eisenhower administration. While it does take time for history to make the final judgment on a president's effectiveness in many cases (perhaps most notably, Truman), that's not the case when you have a president who has sent us spiraling back into debt, destroyed our foreign relations, wants to amend the constitution to take rights AWAY from people, thinks tax cuts for the rich will lead to economic recovery, and conducts every aspect of his office as a belligerent cowboy. History will not be kind to W.

Anyone who thinks Nixon was so great, but that LBJ was a disaster, should really study history a little more without partisan bias. Both had major accomplishments in their administrations. LBJ's was by far the most socially progressive administration since FDR, and Nixon accomplished great things in the area of foreign relations, most notably with China. Vietnam marred both their administrations, although LBJ to a greater degree, and anyone who wasn't around during Watergate cannot legitimately minimize the castastrophic and lasting damage that whole nightmare and Nixon's resignation had on this country. The vicious partisanship and mentality of destruction so prevalent among politicians today (as manifest in the Clinton impeachment because he lied about getting a blowjob from Monica) are direct results of Watergate.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.

PPGMD

Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:26 am

Wing,

You don't have to wait for a generation to see how G.W.Bush made all US of America from the most sympatic nation to most hated around the world with his all neo American BS.Thats only one of the reasons that mada him the worst IMHO.

Do you have a time machine and can go into the future to see how his policies will effected America and the world?

No, you don't. Often the programs and actions implemented by a President take years to see an inkling of success, and without an in depth impartial review of the actions, which can only be accomplished at a much later date.

Sometimes being liked is not what's best for the world. Look at Germany, among the European powers it was popular that they wanted to punish Germany, and thus made it pay repartitions that bankrupted the nation. Now we know that it led to WWII almost directly.

Sometimes doing an unpopular action will have positive results. One can only tell in a generation or two.

BN747

Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:54 am

PPGMD,

Today is my time machine..and I remember the Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush I and Clinton years very well and history has it written down exactly how it was...a mixed bag of nuts!

All the J. Edgar Hoover US nazi types loved Nixon, law & order (a code word for keeping free speech, hippies, minorities quiet and in their place) and history only says he was popular with many and hated by many...what kind of answer is that?

The God Squad/Law and Order crowd hated and still do hate JFK,LBJ (I do too) Carter and Clinton.

Liberal, libertarian and progressives hate Nixon,Reagan,Bush I & II because they do exactly that...they suppress free expression and would rather bring back the 1950s when everything was perfect.

History is only going to say some liked them...and some didn't...it will not say for instant in Clinton's case...

Federal prosecutors investigating the 'Whitewater Realty' Investigation because it was over $500,000 dollars in question and it lead no where...but the same prosecutor jumped ship and decided to see if he could get the sitting president to lie under oath about his sex life instead (which you would do as I... in front of the whole nation). Of Course Clinton did...the impeachment was on.

History will not focus or highlight the unprecedented tactic of tossing a meaningless investigation only to sink $50 million taxpayer dollars to see if the president would lie about a suck job. The most expensive bj in history!...And you paid for it!

Let's see if history tells that story...
BN747

PPGMD

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:05 am

Taking someone else's feelings about a sitting President is like asking fans of a football game who's going to win.

Only time will tell if he was an excellent President or not. Personally only now post-coldwar I can tell you that the policies implemented by Truman, FDR, and many of the other sitting Presidents were right and correct for the most part. It won't be able to tell how well Bush 41, Clinton, or Bush 43, until a number of years in the future because we don't know how their policies work out in the big picture.

Also sometimes an authoritarian Head of Government is needed to balance things out (which Bush is far from). Look at PM Thatcher, she was very unpopular, but ultimately the scaling back of the programs helped the UK excel in a time that it was foundering. It also brought the Labour* party back into the mainstream, after being pulled far right over the years.

Edit: * In case someone reads that wrong, I know she was from the Conservative party. But because of her and her party, labour had to move more towards the center.

[Edited 2004-03-16 03:16:23]

BN747

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:09 am

ZZooooooommmmmm.......and that must have broke the sound barrier!

BN747

PPGMD

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:24 am

I guess an relative independent that actual judges a candidate but what they have done in office, not what some people think about him is not wanted eh?

Though I identify myself most of the time with Republicans (and registered so I can vote in the primary), I am actually an independent that cares about the issues.

I guess I am also one of the few that print out the campaign promises that a candidate made when they got elected (or voting record, if not the incumbent) and use that to decide where my vote goes. Not some partisan BS spewed out across the internet.

Actions speak louder than words.

cptkrell

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:52 am

BN747...that's quite a history lesson. I guess I was asleep during the Carter years while you were following exactly how the military chiefs contrived to insure failure of rescuing the Iran hostages. I didn't realize, either, that he did so much for the economy by raising the minimum wage...my business partners and myself were paying two percent over prime to borrow money during his stay which brought an almost extra quarter onto every dollar to pass on to the customer. Most small businesses couldn't handle that (we couldn't) and eventually went Tango Uniform. I guess I missed that because of my three martini lunches. But then, you list yourself as being a Los Angeles film and TV consultant. Can't argue with that, can I? Regards...Jack (P.S. the LBJ deal...aren't we still adding onto the trillions of dollars for his "The Great Society"? Please inform where that dough's going; I guess I'm missing that, too.)
all best; jack

BN747

Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:40 pm

..that's quite a history lesson. I guess I was asleep during the Carter years while you were following exactly how the military chiefs contrived to insure failure of rescuing the Iran hostages.

Cptkrell, at your age you can't be that naive in EVERY military campaign there has been sacrifices and I don't mean in the sense that some commits the ultimate act of heroship. I'm talking about Normandy Beach type sacrifices..where it's a forgone conclusion that 10,000s of troops are gonna get slaughtered climbing up those beaches. The generals know it, the troops suspected..but are pretty much sure that the higher ups know what their doing.

Just for sake of your arguement..let's say the rescue was successful..that would have translated to a Carter victory and the JCS looking at 4 mores years of Carter a president who understood military accounting (wink*wink) and they wouldn't get all the toys they wanted. On the other hand..a Carter military disaster=a failure in the eyes of the American public..but also means getting a guy who'll give the military everything and everything it wants..even revive the failed B-1 bomber! And your memory serves you as well...you'll remember that was Reagan campaign mantra...'The US is now a secon rate power...we need to be #1 again...vote for me..and we will!' This just kills me how people think the military just does what it's told....it plays poltical shenanigans too except many times it has very deadly consequenses and just ends up with a flag and letter being left to the survivors say..'Your son died for protecting your freedom'! You must sleep through that part too!

Reality checkm when Reagan was thumping his chest....we were already #1 and we could take it to anyone if we hadto. But as we know ,the Iran rescue was a catastrophe, the plan itself was a joke and the military geniuses behind it knew going in.

As for inflation at the time, people were paying more than that just a few years ago. Like the ups and downs of the market place, it's cyclical...and it'll come again..and there's nothing Bush or Kerry can do about it!

BN747

jcs17

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:15 pm

(in no particular order)
Best:
Lincoln
Franklin Roosevelt
Theodore Roosevelt
Washington
Reagan

Worst:
Carter
Woodrow Wilson
Taft
LB Johnson
Hoover

America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

SSTjumbo

Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:39 pm

Crap, damn computer can't post a message. Anyways, the only new news is the following

Best:
-some guys already mentioned

Worst:
-Andrew Jackson
-some guys already mentioned
I don't know, so this is my signature.