LHMark
Topic Author

Before You've Had Your Coffee...

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:22 am

Does anyone actually find themselves unable to function properly before the morning cup of joe? I've been fuzzy until just now. Is that addiction?
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

haveric

RE: Before You've Had Your Coffee...

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:49 am

I have that problem, and it is totally addiction. Days when I'm really busy in the morning and don't have time to get my coffee, I don't notice it until I slow down....

msllsmith

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:53 am

Hey LHMark,

Yes, of course it is! And so what?

Am now on my third cup and this is my second post responding to you in as many minutes (need I say more?)...... personally, I believe the third cup of coffee is like the third martini.... it should be consumed with extreme caution.

I blame my own addiction on my parents; my father, whom I've spoken of at length would wake me up two hours before dawn to go flying.... on the way to the airport he would buy me two cups of coffee (this is from about the age of FIVE), one to wake me up, I think, so I would be able to focus on the fact that I held his life in my feet, as it were, and could stand on the brakes of his CHamp while I held the stick back..... and he pulled the prop through.... nuts, yes, and sometimes I shudder to think he did that.... but, whatever... the second cup was just because I was, HELLO, addicted.... of course, we had very short legs to our trips due to excessive bathroom breaks.

... and then my mother, who was so tired of me oversleeping for school, put a coffee pot and a radio on a timer next to my bed when I was 14, so I woke up to coffee and rock n roll at whatever ungodly hour she deemed my wake up time.

It's vicious, but better than a shot of Jack Daniels for wakeup call.... so it could be worse.

LLSmith
There's nothing more beautiful than flying into the dawn.

Usairwys757

Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:57 am

Yes, it is an addiction. Caffine is more addictive than heroine.
Inactive.....

msllsmith

Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:12 am

Yes, true perhaps, but you can't get a job if you're on heroine.....and you can't keep a job if you're not on coffee.....This is tongue and cheek, please it's too early to be chastised..... God, I think I need more coffee.

LL
There's nothing more beautiful than flying into the dawn.

KLM777

Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:26 am

Ah yes, the coffee and the morning cigarette, without them I'm as productive as KLM's 743s stored in the desert....

Jeroen
Every landing is a controlled crash

mirrodie

Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:58 am

well, studies now show that caffeine does have its positive effects, including that of enhanced brain functioning. I forget the study but it did surface within the last year.

Addiction vs enjoyment is another factor as well. I mean, I love the taste of coffee and usually have at least 3 different types of beans in the house at any given moment. But on my days off, I might have a latte or forgo any coffee at all.

I have a triple shot of espresso most mornings. It helps warm my throat and clear my morning voice prior to seeing patients. But I also have at least 64 oz of water a day (think a huge bottle of Poland Spring water). That cleasr to clear my urine by the time 8 PM rolls around  Wink/being sarcastic

So its not a need, but an enjoyment. Addiction, while physical, is predominately psychological. Stopping at any time is easy.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

aloges

Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:52 am

I don't think being addicted to caffeine is that bad. At least, it's not for those Colombian farmers.  Big grin
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

iflyatldl

Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:07 am

I used to think I HAD to have that morning cup until I started working out. I'll still have a cup, but only after I've been to the gym and at work for an hour or so. On mornings I don't go to the gym, yeah, I still do and ALWAYS make it a point to have it set up the night before. I often wonder if it's addiction, mental or a combination of the two. Isn't addiction mental anyway?  Laugh out loud
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

seb146

Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:39 am

I can not plan my day until after my first cup of coffee.

Mind you, my "cup" is a 24-ounce beer mug. And, yes, it has never held anything but coffee.

GO CANUCKS!!
Patriotic and Proud Liberal

iflyatldl

Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:57 am

Seb146: Dude, what a waste!  Laugh out loud
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

fspilot747

Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:11 am

I wouldn't call myself addicted, but I live off around 5.5 hours of sleep a night and almost every single time, I get painfully tired in my morning lectures...like so tired it hurts, but I can manage to stay awake and jot down all my notes. Sometimes it's just necessary to have at least a cup to keep awake. So not an addiction yet, but maybe soon.

One trick: Starbucks Double Shot Cans. Those will wake you up and then some.

I have one problem though, maybe someone can explain. When I'm studying at certain cafes, the coffee tends to put me to sleep. I don't know why. So I've actually had times where I'll be studying at my favorite cafe, but run out to starbucks to get a double shot can to prevent me from falling dead asleep, then going back.

FSP

aviationfreak

Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:51 am

OK, here is my everyday routine.

I get up - take a shower - get dressed - run to my car - having my breakfast while driving to work - arrive at office - get my coffee cup while switching on the computer - run to the machine - have my first coffee of the day - I wake up and suddenly remember my password and log in - attempt to work until I have my second shot of caffeine.

Does this make me a coffee junk?

Aviationfreak
I love both Airbus and Boeing as much as I love aviation!

Akumas

Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:25 am

I have a cup of coffee every morning. I wouldn't call it an 'addiction' as I can still live through the day (not very well) without coffee in the morning.

I think coffee is a good source of energy, it compensates for the lack of sleep (spending time on A.net)  Laugh out loud

aviationfreak

Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:04 pm

Akumas,

LOL That is so true!  Laugh out loud
I love both Airbus and Boeing as much as I love aviation!