QANTASforever

Taiwanese President & Vice President Shot

Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:15 pm

Newslink:http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1069838.htm

Taiwanese President Chen Shui-bian has been shot in the stomach while campaigning on the eve of presidential elections.

Vice President Annette Lu was also wounded but officials say neither is in a critical condition.

The pair had been travelling in an open-top jeep through the southern city of Tainan, waving to crowds, when an unknown assailant shot at them. No arrest has been reported.

-----------------------------------------------

My sincerest best wishes go to the President and the Vice President. I wish them both a speedy recovery.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

L-188

RE: Taiwanese President & Vice President Shot

Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:54 pm

So, who is your money on?

Al-quiche or Chinese Inteligence?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Moolies

Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:23 pm

It was a Fulham football supporter. He apparently last season wanted to buy the football club and fulham gave him problems so he went to Liverpool and is now looking to buy them. Weird then people are starving in a country and even if people arn't when the PM wants to buy a football club. Only a hundred million pound + would be needed. So that guy was agro that his side then coulndt buy a decent team and win everything.

greaser

Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:41 pm

Everyone read the Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy, there is an assasination attempt from the Chinese to kill some ex KGB guy, this could be linked....(im not accusing the Chinese)
Now you're really flying

MD11Engineer

Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:55 pm

Moolies,
What the f*ck are you talking about? Taiwan is one of the most successfull industrial countries.
In my opinion ALL the western countries are guilty of cowardice because the Taiwanese have proven during the last 20 years that they are able to run a democratic form of government. Still they don´t get recognised as an independent country because everybody is chicken because the government of the Peoples Republic of China might kick him out of the market.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

bigphilnyc

Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:32 am

"Taiwan is one of the most successfull industrial countries."

HAHAHAHAHAAHA!

Just because a nation can produce a lot of goods and have a high export rate, does not mean that the citizens have food on their plates. This nation is still pretty well below the poverty line.
Phil Derner Jr.

donder10

Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:10 am

Just because a nation can produce a lot of goods and have a high export rate, does not mean that the citizens have food on their plates. This nation is still pretty well below the poverty line.

The same can be said about some in the US.Over 12% in fact.In Taiwan 1% of the population are below the poverty line.One open-ended statement to match another.

bigphilnyc

Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:13 am

Certainly agreed about the US.

WhileTaiwan really isn't in BAD shape, their records are not the most accurate or competently recorded.

Phil Derner Jr.

QANTASforever

Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:39 pm

Whoah - this threads gone in a weird, weird direction.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

BN747

Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:44 pm

HAHAHAHAHAAHA!

Wrong there on a all levels BIGPHIL...when I lived in Taiwan (1970s it was never bad as the philippines! No street beggars, people barely getting by..but never as bad as you make it out to be (that was 1950s-mid 60's Taiwan. Today, Taiwan has the 2nd largest cash reserves on hand of any nation in the world. Taipei 101 is now the tallest building in the world. The largest shipping group on the planet Evergreen Shipping (owners of EVA Air) are based in Taiwan. I have seen Taipei go from a modest capital to a near Singapore/Hong Kong in the span of just 20 years! Every modern convienience available in the US today. literacy incredibly high. There's far more poverty in the USA than Taiwan today my friend!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson