Sabena 690
Topic Author

Email Help

Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:42 am

Hi all,

I had a computer accident this evening, and lost all my mails + deleted my whole adress book  Sad

Does anybody know if I can find my adressbook + my emails back on my computer?

Quite a lot of emails contained important information, it would be sad to have lost them all...

Message to all people with who I regularly mailed: can you please drop me an email with your email adress? It would make things easier to add you again...

Regards
Frederic

regupilot

RE: Email Help

Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:00 pm

Hello Frederic. I hope I'm not late to this.

You don't specify what e-mail software you were using, and what Operating System (WindowsXP, etc) you're using. But lets assume you're on Windows Me or latter and you were using Microsoft Outlook (not Outlook Express). Your e-mails and address book are saved on a file of type PST. Most of the time it's called Outlook.pst. I would recommend that you perform a search on your PC, and in the search for box type the same thing I typed here: *.PST - and then hit Enter. That is STAR, DOT and PST (*.PST). It will try to locate in your Hard Drive any PST file you can have. You may even have Archive.pst files on your PC.

Check on the dates and on the filesize of your PST findings and remember the location. You can even move it to a location easier to access for you if you want. Then open Outlook and from the File menu choose OPEN OUTLOOK DATA FILE and locate that PST file of your seach. You will see it in your Outlook Folder list as usual.

There are more things to it, that will enhance your Outlook usage when these things happen, but its useless to explain here since I'm not sure that Outlook is your e-mail client. I also hope that you're not inside an Exchange network.

Hope this helps!

Daurys

Sabena 690
Topic Author

Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:20 pm

Hi Daurys,

Thanks for the info!

I'm using W98, and Outlook Express 6. So I don't think the above description can help me...  Sad

Regards
Frederic

dc-10 levo

Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:22 pm

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago - I'm using WinXP and Outlook Express 6.0. When I loaded OE back up, there were no emails or addresses. I think it gets rid of them all and as far as I know there is no way to retrieve them.

DC-10

[Edited 2004-03-20 14:22:17]

Staffan

Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:35 pm

Try a search for .dbx files on your hardrdrive. That's where outlook express saves the mail folders.

Staffan