Alitalia777
Topic Author

College Acceptances - Boston U; RIT; Northeastern

Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:20 am

Hello all,
It's that time for high school seniors to start receiving acceptance letters from colleges and making a decision. I've gotten into RIT, Boston University and I'm still waiting to hear from Northeastern. Can anyone tell me about these schools? Maybe from first hand experience? Where else did others get accepted into? Looking very forward to your responses.

Alitalia777

CO2BGR

RE: College Acceptances - Boston U; RIT; Northeastern

Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:27 am

I am at University of Maine at Orono. But I also got into WPI, RPI, Norteastern, but they were all too expensive.
There are too many self indulgent weiners in this town with too much bloody money" Randal Raines- Gone in 60 Seconds

rjpieces

RE: College Acceptances - Boston U; RIT; Northeast

Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:01 am

Alitalia777, congrats and good luck with the rest of your schools.....I find out about most of my schools 8 days from now and am quite nervous!
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

dontlikeairbus

Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:30 am

Alitalia777

I am about to finish my undergrad degree at BU in May and will be starting grad school here next fall.

BU is a very expensive school, I'm pretty sure its the most expensive one you mentioned. Education wise, BU is wonderful (all though I'm a little disappointed with modern American history)

What made the exhorbent tuition prices worth it for me was that I genuienly enjoy my time here at BU
Do not underestimate this aspect because if you choose BU the tuition will get to you at some point or another I promise you
And if your into prestige and that junk, the name of this school does carry some weight at least where I call home in Los Angeles. People over there always impressed simply because of the name.

If you ask me, choose BU!

LHMark

Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:27 am

RIT is a lifeless school in a lifeless town. It's a jumble of cloned brick building on a sprawling dry campus. Better have a car here, or it'll be a pain in the ass to go anywhere. Down the street is one of the largest strip-mall districts in Crapchester; pretty much everything you could need is a mile away. The airport is also a mile away.

Across the street from the main campus is MacGregor's, a great bar with over fifty beers on tap; microbrews and imports, mostly. Probably the best part of RIT residence. If you're over 21.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

DFWLandingPath

Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:34 pm

I got into the University of Texas at Austin, the University of Texas at Arlington, University of Maryland, University of Nottingham, and University of Sussex. The best decision you can make is to visit each campus. That way you will know if you will be happy there.

Cheers,
DFWLandingPath

Alitalia777
Topic Author

Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:00 am

Hello,
I received an acceptance letter from Northeastern...kind of. I was accepted into the program I wanted, but not for Fall 2004 but for Spring 2005!? They said that they would wait list me for Fall 2004. How odd.

Alitalia777

Kappa13

Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:00 pm

Got accepted to Jacksonville University, Bowling Green State University, and Rocky Mountain College. Going to attend Jacksonville University in this fall.

Todd

rockyracoon

Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:28 pm

Yeah probally should get around to that sometime, I thinking about starting 2 or 3rd quarter at UC. Need a little chill time before I hit those books again Big grin

peace and good luck with everyones college ventures

Alitalia777
Topic Author

Dontlikeairbus

Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:50 am

Dontlikeairbus,
I sent you an email asking you a little more about BU. If you didn't get it, I was wondering if you could tell me where the best place is to live as a freshman? (Warren, the Towers, Shelton?) Are they carpeted? How is the food? Anything else I should know? Thanks, and looking forward to your response.

Alitalia777

Arch89U

Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:30 am

I got into Notre Dame, Cornell, Bucknell, and the U of R.

Some advice.

See RIT before ever making a decision to go there. It has consistently rated as the ugliest campus in America.

NDSchu777

Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:24 am

Arch89U,

You got in at ND!!!  Big thumbs up Congrats! And it looks like you've gotten in a lot of other really good schools too! I'm a senior at ND now and I've absolutely loved my past 4 years here. Maybe I'm a little biased but if you haven't made your decision yet, definitely come to Notre Dame! (However looking at your profile it looks like you made the right decision!  Wink/being sarcastic ). Good luck and if you've got any other questions about ND feel free to ask!

~Nick

USAFHummer

Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:33 am

Any people considering or heading to CU-Boulder in the fall???

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

KROC

Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:51 am

The only people going to CU are athelets looking for Skanks to hook up with, and Skanks looking to pay off that tuition dancing for recruits.

aa61hvy

Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:29 am

"The only people going to CU are athelets looking for Skanks to hook up with, and Skanks looking to pay off that tuition dancing for recruits."

Or female kickers
Go big or go home

rjpieces

Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:40 am

I'm heading to George Washington University in D.C.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

USAFHummer

Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:16 am

"The only people going to CU are athelets looking for Skanks to hook up with, and Skanks looking to pay off that tuition dancing for recruits."

Sad but probably true...applications here have taken a significant hit for the 04-05 year...

Greg

us330

Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:18 am

Accepted at Emory, Wash U St. Louis, Claremont McKenna, Southern Cal. (with a scholarship), Northwestern, Pomona, and Yale.
Waitlisted at Georgetown
Rejected from Harvard, Penn, Stanford, and Brown.

Will choose between Yale and Pomona, and I am doing an overnight stay at each within the coming weeks. If I end up hating both of them, I'll probably go to USC.

USAFHummer: CU-Boulder is where alot of the kids who are at the lower end of my class are either heading or are considering.

ARCH89U: If you decide to go to Cornell, tell me, as I have a good friend who is 95% sure that he is going there.

DFWLandingPath: that's incredible that you got into UT-Austin. Kids at my school were being turned down left and right or offered CAP. The top 10% rule really dicked over alot of people in my class who wanted to go to UT.

fspilot747

Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:44 am

Us330, you got into Yale but waitlisted at Georgetown? Strange.

I got into Emory too, but ended up choosing U.Michigan. Emory is great if you're going to be a Doctor. If you're looking at other options, I'd recommend Yale. Actually, in ANY case, I can't see why you wouldn't go to Yale. Pomona's nice, but I couldn't see many people passing up the opportunity to be a Yalie.

FSP

US AIRWAYS

Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:05 am

Rjpieces:

You're gonna love GW. I'm down there about once every two weeks because my girlfriend goes there. Hell, I wish I went there. Don't think I could ever leave Penn State though. I have way to much fun.

No one heading up here to University Park, PA?

Jonathan
Go Eagles!

USAFHummer

Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:12 am

They are cracking down on out-of-state acceptances so I dont think they will be taking people whos SAT's, grades and activities are total crap like you appear to refer to Us330...

Greg

L-188

Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:43 am

Aren't both Bill O'Reiley and Howard Stern, Boston alumni?

I am pretty sure they where in the same class too.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

DeltaJAX

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:20 am

Kappa13, did u go to JUEL this past weekend? I was gonna host a prospective student but then found out I couldn't because of my work schedule. You are an aviation major (like myself) I assume. If you've visited, how do you like this campus compared to the other schools- dorms, cafeteria, etc?... Anyways see you this fall.

A330Fan1

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:25 am

Alitalia777 - what up!

I'm also a senior in high school n choosing a college. Right now it's between Tulane and U. Mich for me, can't decide which is better for me.

Good luck in all ur endeavors n college selection

-A330Fan1

nwa man

Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:31 am

They are cracking down on out-of-state acceptances so I dont think they will be taking people whos SAT's, grades and activities are total crap like you appear to refer to Us330...

Judging by the schools that Us330 applied to, the kids in the "lower end" of his class are probably smarter than the higher end of most high schools... just a thought.

A330Fan1... you can't go wrong with either school. Both are excellent academically, and both are places that you can have a great amount of fun with.

Good luck to everyone in your decisions.

Regards,

N-Dub
Create your own luck.

USAFHummer

Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:51 pm

"Judging by the schools that Us330 applied to, the kids in the "lower end" of his class are probably smarter than the higher end of most high schools... just a thought."

No disrespect to Us330 or his school, but I honestly believe you can't judge an entire school by one person's applications...we had people at my school from my school go to the higher more prestigious schools like the Ivies, and we had people go to the local community college, and everything in between...

Greg

us330

Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:33 pm

For the record, I go to an elite, all boys private school in Dallas, and the kids who are at the "bottom end" of our class would probably do much better if they went to a place that demanded less of them. When I mean "bottom end," I mean C's and the occasional D. My graduating class will be 82, and I have around a 4.0 gpa, and I am not even in the top 20% of my class. Not trying to sound pretentious, but these are just the facts.

"Us330, you got into Yale but waitlisted at Georgetown? Strange."
I actually didn't think I would get into Georgetown because I am weaker in math, and they look for a total package. Anyway, it's all politics. They probably saw that my father went to Yale, and then decided to play a wait and see game with me. My grade really got dicked around by the bureaucracy of admissions. Rare was the kid who got into two Ivy league schools. I know of kids who got into Yale, yet were waitlisted at Duke, or got into Harvard, and were waitlisted at Penn. Sort of bizarre.

"Pomona's nice, but I couldn't see many people passing up the opportunity to be a Yalie."
I'm looking at all my options right now, and truth be told, I sort of want to step out of my father's shadow. I mean, I went to this school for twelve years just like him, and it is a foregone conclusion in everybody's mind that I will follow him to Yale. I will say, though, that I will not be making a decision until after I do overnight stays at both places. If I end up loving Yale, then I'll go, but I am not going to go to a place just because of its name.

fspilot747

Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:49 pm

A330fan, I go to U.Mich. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail or something. It's definitely a great place...and I'm also from LA like you.

FSP

[Edited 2004-04-06 06:50:54]

dontlikeairbus

Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:15 pm

If anyone is the last bit interested
L-188,
Bill O'Reilly and Howard Stern are indeed both BU alum
all though its sad, the administration acts as if Stern never went here even though he was a top student, graduated magna cum laude

and O'Reilly got his masters here

congratulations to all
i have such fond memeories of this process when I was a high school senior

rjpieces

Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:38 pm

"My grade really got dicked around by the bureaucracy of admissions. Rare was the kid who got into two Ivy league schools. I know of kids who got into Yale, yet were waitlisted at Duke, or got into Harvard, and were waitlisted at Penn. Sort of bizarre."

It really is bizarre.....I go to Stuyvesant High School in NYC which is probably the top high school in the nation and there are tons of kids with top grades/SATs who deserve to get in but don't....The problem is the colleges pretty much accept the same # of kids each year, it is just a matter of choosing who they are.

Pe@rson

Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:24 pm

Can American students obtain student loans or grants to attend these "expensive" universities?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

NDSchu777

Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:34 am

Pe@rson,

Yes, in the US the government offers direct grants and subsidized, low-interest student loans that don't accumulate interest until 6 months after graduation. To be elligible for these, you must fill out some paperwork (a FAFSA form, i forget what it stands for) which outlines your family's income and your ability to pay tuition.

On top of that each university usually has it's own financial aid program where it gives out direct need-based scholarships. This is usually funded by alumni and other donations to the university and an endownment. This also requires some paperwork to fill out.

From personal experience, these programs can bring down the cost of these "expensive" schools down a lot and make them affordable. And it definitely helps remove cost as a barrier to going to a school you want to attend as long as you are admitted there.

~Nick

us330

Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:56 am

Also, scholarships are available from a lot of private organizations.

aio86

Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:52 pm

Hi all and congrats on acceptances! Being a Senior this year and having seen very talented kids' hearts broken by the college admissions process I'd like to say for the record that college admissions is a cruel and heartless process. I pity the juniors that are just starting this process. Thankfully I got into many schools that I like and I'll find somewhere good to go next year. I got into: UC Berkeley, San Diego, Davis and Santa Cruz, USC, Occidental College, George Washington University and the University of Miami. Right now I'm between Berkeley and GW. Good luck to everyone making decisions!

-aio86

rjpieces

Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:18 am

Mir

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:51 am

RJPieces:

You have to love Mr. Polazzo for putting that up. That is a quality piece of work, and is very true. Or maybe I say that because I'm "stuck" with an 87 average and 1400 SAT score (at Stuyvesant, this is considered to be fairly below average).

But I can't say I really care about my average anymore, since I got into the college I wanted to go to (University of North Dakota Honors Program). Why should I get stressed over grades, when they are hardly a measure of the kind of person one is. In an ideal world, colleges would make their decisions based on what kind of person you were. Unfortunately, its a lot easier to use your grades, which they claim to be an indication of how intelligent you are, and your potential for the future. Going by several of my grades, my potential for the future is pretty bad, possibly even non-existant. But biology, health, US history and Japanese are unlikely to play a major part in my future. My true passion in life (aviation) does not even exist in high school (if there is a high school with an aviation class, I'd be interested to find out about it). But the colleges don't really see that. They just see the grades. Sucks for them, because they probably accepted some really boring people, and rejected a whole bunch of very qualified people whose scores just weren't high enough.

To all those who got rejected from their dream schools, I can't tell you not to be disappointed, because it's normal to feel that way, but don't for a second feel like you will be a worse person for it, because that is in no way true. You can go to any state college and get a perfectly good education that will serve you well later on in life. And for those of you who are still in high school, or will be entering high school soon (I'm sure there are a few of you on here), don't neglect being an actual human being just to get good grades. Grades are a measure of how well you DID, not a measure of how well you WILL DO. Only you can determine that.

Ok, rant over.

Cheers,

Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

USAFHummer

Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:27 am

That article linked in reply 34 was very true, and probably should be mandatory reading for all high school freshmen...way too many of my classmates in high school put too much value on grades and stressing over colleges and stuff to enjoy themselves...high school only happens once in your life, so why get stressed over it? Take your time and enjoy it...

Greg

Mir

Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:33 am

On a somewhat related subject, I know someone who is so stressed about school that they took a 99 (out of 100) on the New York State english proficiency test to mean that they weren't fluent.

What the system makes people do. It's disgusting.
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

A330Fan1

Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:18 am

Would you guys rather go to college at:

1) University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
2) George Washington University, DC
3) Tulane University, New Orleans

???
I'm trying to decide between these which is the best one, and I can't choose!!! So can any of you kinda give some ideas if you've been to these places??? how are people? weather? (I know DC gets humid at times - never been to Mich or New Orleans)...and anything else?

thanks in advance

-A330Fan1

fspilot747

Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:49 am

A330Fan1, like I said, I go to U.Michigan Ann Arbor and it's great here. Of course I might be bias, but the school spirit here is incredible. Better than Tulane and G.W. Big grin Plus, it's ranked higher than UCLA (which isn't even in the same league  Big grin )

Feel free to e-mail me if you wanna know more.

FSP

us330

Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:54 pm

Anybody know where they are actually going next year, and are not in limbo?
I, for one, will be going to Yale.

planespotting

Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:02 pm

pffft all you other Big 10'ers out there pale in comparison to anyone from the U of Iowa. Go hawks! I'll be going there for grad school in the Fall of 05.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

L-188

Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:42 pm

FAFSA. Federal Application for Studend Aid.

Which reminds me I still need to fill out mine for this year.

Hopefully for the last time....Knock on wood.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

JFKspotter

Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:23 am

ERAU Daytona Beach for me.